Contemptable Wrest - (Ch. 8) Part 2: Don't Dishonor Lotus Momma

by Wriskypump

I ogled at the pieces. Eight pieces hovering about what I know recognized as a fire pole. My imagination was martyred all over again. I had known more before the onset of this fresh riddle. Now I knew I didn’t know the half of it.

“Neat-O,” I said with the arctic on my tongue, suspicion sneaking into my gut.

We slid down the pole, Malibu going first, me trailing from above, near queasy with anticipation. I wasn’t even to the bottom of the pole yet when the parts reassembled into one piece over the hole and dumped us into darkness. Some hazy back-up lights came on sooner than I reached the concrete floor of a decent-sized, square basement.

“This is it?” I demanded, suddenly swarmed by a sinking feeling that Area 51 did not house all that it was alleged to censor.

“This is it.” I repeated sullenly. I stared at the back of his greying head in my loss for words, severely disappointed in him. I’ve been scammed. By a trusted “friend.”

The drab, stony walls were congested with shelf after primitive shelf--of handguns--and besides a tub near the far end of the room, brimming with a dark treasure trove of Glocks and a polar bear imprinted on its side, the floor was barren.

. “Cummmm Awwn!” If I wasn’t so exasperated I would have burst into tears. “Measly, Fucking, HANDGUNS?”

He raised a brow. “Not reveling in its glory?”

I bristled. “It didn’t meet my Ex. Pec. Tations.”

“Yup. This is most definitely it,” he guaranteed, rubbing his hands together, “But unlike so many other things in life, this doesn’t disappoint, son.”

“What’s not downright heartbreaking about those pea shooters! You said dropping-alligators-and-rhinos-worthy!”

He was as cheerful and carefree as Larry the cucumber.

“Have a little patience. Let’s take a closer look.”

With me dogging at his heels, he moved straight ahead and selected three revolvers as if picking ripe fruit.

He displayed the first. It looked like a half-baked idea: rotatory six-chamber load, might have even been able to pass as a kid’s toy. “Guess there’s no need to explain this one,” and he scrapped it over his shoulder.

He advertised the next. “See here, this is an upgrade by far. Nice handle, plush black grip, a safety that ain’t rickety. Still gotta thumb the hammer for each shot, but don’t let that discredit the bigger chamber, explosive firepower, and of course,” he peered down the barrel at me, “better accuracy.”

You’d think an experienced gun handler would know better than to do that.

He set that back on the shelf, slipshod, and prepared to make an exhibit of the last. “Colt revolver, hand-crafted in," he turned the hand-crafted box to the side, "1869.” Then he flipped open the lid of the box it was stored in, to reveal several other utensils of some kind that resembled spoons, syringes, tuning forks, screwdrivers, and thermometers. They were plated with brass and copper (which was probably not the case when they had seen action in their day) for collectors' sakes. The one item I could barely identify appeared to be a ramrod. “...Polished handle. Beautiful. White as snow. At nine or so inches long, this was a superior muzzle in its time.” Exactly. In its day and age. “And who can resist these extravagant golden engravings?”

“Yes, vairrry deco-” I stopped with my mouth ajar. The man in front of me was transforming into a cannon.

Gutterson reared back with the mahogany box and its antique contents, lid carelessly wide open, balancing it with one big paw as if he was about to shoot a half-court shot for the win, a mighty gleam in his suddenly child-like eyes.

“Don’t do it.” I gasped, not having the ability to insert my plea with any emotion, more haunted and transfixed by the relics that were about to go airborne. I knew there was no time to prevent its tragic flight. Hopeless. Like when Dudley was surrendered up to the beast.

He didn’t disappoint. He bombed an arching beauty. “Kuuu-runch!” right into the wall. The bronze tools (as the scattered colors of copper and brass bled together) shed pinging tears over the gun’s broken form. Also just like Dudley, into that tree.

“Whudgya do that for!” I beseeched of him.

Gut gestured abstractly behind me. “Several sorts of Glocks over there,” but I didn’t bother to follow his lead. I guess I wasn’t going to get an explanation, no matter how bad I wished to pinpoint his motives.

“Ah.” I said, perplexed. “We’ve arrived at the semi-automatic station.”

Malibu just chuckled. “I figured you’d have a quip ready at a second’s notice.”

He patted me on the shoulder, then stepped back and, he umm...twirled with arms outstretched and face uplifted to the rolling blue skies like a freaking ballerina. He couldn’t make it worse, but he did. He went a caroling. “Awwwwl Theeez...” he drew out. And with one word, it was as if all the coins in the universe stood on edge, at attention, and then crashed back down when he dropped the hammer blow.

“Decoys.”

He strolled over to the left, past the tub that held the Glocks, all the way to the corner. It was empty, but did that bother Malibu? He recommended, “You can never cover your bases too much.” And then he reached for what my eyes registered as air next to a wall, and pulled a black tarp out of nowhere; underneath residing an authentic Gatling gun.

It was similar to Batman breaking out the Batmobile. There wasn’t a shadow of a doubt he was going to trample the apple cart of midnight mischief and leave the Joker with tire marks etched into his face.

“That thing works?” I huffed in a string of words.

“It’s pinned to the floor.” The Gutter grinned ear to ear. “So your answer would be no, not in the traditional sense.” He beckoned me over. “Kevin, I want you to do the honors.”

I came flying at him like a piece of flubber, ricocheting off all remotely solid surfaces. Batman was giving the keys to Robin.

“What do I do!” I exclaimed.

Malibu instructed, “Just get behind, her name is Heschita, so just get behind her and crank that crank.”

As I settled behind Heschita and gripped her chilly handle, I wondered aloud, “What’ll happen?”

“It’ll,” he spluttered to a halt to remind me, “Now I only use this for exceptional purchases. I don't use it for my personal enjoyment. Ever. Understand? DEFCON 1 rarely pops up. In the future we will not use it to go on joyrides or anything else so senseless, unless this town becomes monster heaven. Agreed?”

I pondered the contract and decided to reject his offer. Because, let’s face it: it defeated the whole purpose of having this doohickey. It wasn’t much of an offer. In fact, it was pathetic. So pathetic I nearly burst my seams laughing. It wasn’t like I could bypass that overkill security system and access it on any day of the week, so right there the contract became irrelevant.

“I’m not sure why you’re laughing,” he scolded with a pokerface, “but this is a humorless transaction. Put on your tie and pick up your suitcase.”

That was another way of telling me to grow up.

Holy humdrum heroes, Batman!

I swung an imaginary pen through the air, “The would-be scapegoat hereby refuses to sign on under Malibu’s Iron Fist.”

His frown touched the bedrock of the deepest abyss and he rumbled, “Son, this is bigger than us, but alright. You’ll learn to play by the rules someday.”

Then he muttered dejectedly under his breath, words that never reached my ear. “Hopefully it won’t be too late by the time you grasp the concept.”

“Hey, Cowpoke.” I lamented. “Eating my heart out over here.”

That probably came off as rude and ungrateful. “Since you didn’t comply with the terms,” he explicitly expressed, “all that will be divulged is this: It’ll shoot.”

Oh, well. It was worth scoffing at authority this time around. Inconvenient sure, since you didn’t get briefed, but at least you’re not tied to any promises. You still get to see what this baby can do in a sec.

I pretended to aim my shot as Gutterson stepped clear of the firing range. Harder than you’d think, to imagine a target somewhere within, or upon, a colorless slab of wall. Even harder to conceive was how much power I was being exposed to.

“Sweet.” I muttered. “I get to shoot out what I crank.”

dragonfphoenix wrote a review...

Knight Dragon, here to review on this wonderful Review Day!

Head's up, I'm coming into this without having read any of the previous chapters (that I know of), but I'll do my best to try to give you some helpful advice.

I ogled at pieces. Eight pieces hovering about what I know recognized as a fire pole.

I know I'm coming into a Pt. 2, but that's really, really awkward to read. Ogled at pieces. For better reading flow, there should be probably be a "the" in front of the pieces. The fragment directly after it is long enough (and descriptive enough) that it might help to just merge that with the preceding sentence.

Some hazy back-up lights came on still sooner than I reached...

The "still sooner" makes the reading a little bit awkward. Still sooner is used in comparisons, but you're not really comparing anything, just saying that they came on before your MC got to the floor. Minor attention needed.

This is most definitely it.” he guaranteed

(Period in quote stylistic.) Saying "guaranteed" instead of "said" makes it sound like you're afraid to use it. Said is one of the few words that cannot be overused, and over-replacing it draws attention away from the story and onto the text itself. Whenever I start counting dialogue for "numbers of said," I'm not focusing on the story. So don't be afraid to use it. Only replace it when you feel it's absolutely necessary.

He went a caroling.

I'm not exactly sure what that phrase is supposed to mean. Did you mean a-caroling? Or started singing? Slightly confused there.

He recommended, “You can never...

Same issue. You don't need to replace "said" there. It's like a period, or a comma. Misused, and we notice it. Normally, they just fade into the background.

I'm going to have to read further (and back read) to get some of the references, but I'm starting to get a feel for the piece. It seems you have a decent world set up. So let's see what's in store.

Hope this helps!

This Review Day Review courtesy of

Wriskypump says...

Hi Phoenix! lol, guess I should put a-caroling with the dash. xD, I just think said is bland as dishwater, and I like to use other words to better show how the character delivers the dialogue. If they say it, they do just that, but if they guarantee it, they sound firm and sure of what they said. I see what you mean tho, by it is kind of distracting when it isn't said being used. Do you like when there is another word(s) riding said's heels? like this: he said quietly. She said in an unsteady voice. Thanks for reviewing! :)

Using adverbs/adjective phrase thingies (XD) is okay on occasion. You don't want to bog it down, though, with too many. Then readers start thinking you're padding.
My philosophy for dialogue has always been that the words ought to speak for themselves. I'd say it's fine to use a replacement for emphasis occasionally, but the character's personality (and the story's context) ought to already give the words the proper emphasis and intonation. I just feel that, when it's done correctly, using a "more descriptive" dialogue verb is redundant. Make sense? (Some of the decisions are stylistic, I will concede.) :)

Wriskypump says...

Yeah, usually it can speak for itself. I just like to shake it up, but yes, it isn't shaking it up if I replace said more often than not. :)

Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:43 am
AdmiralKat wrote a review...

Hello! KatyaElefant here for another review! Let's see what we have right here...

I think that you have pretty good imagery, the only problem is that you don't show how the actual setting. It would be nice to see where they are. Though, you may have showed the setting during an earlier chapter, so I am not certain about that being an actual problem. You could work a little bit more on your punctuation

You did a great job with the grammar and spelling. Your organization of paragraphs doesn't have any problems. I think that you did a great job with your plot. I have no idea what's happening(for I just jumped into this story and no one has been reviewing it whatsoever). If you could tell me what is happening in your story, that would be great. Where you make it italicized the text, it was very effective for the purpose for thought. The way they speak is really cool. I think that I haven't seen anyone make their character speak quite the way that you make yours do so. I don't think the language is THAT bad(better than television these days) but I am glad that you rated it the way that you did. You categorized this work in the right place, so great job with that! Many people often don't do that, so I am thankful that you do(usually they just put it in general, general or something completely random). Overall, great job! Have a nice Review Week! Keep calm and keep writing! :D

Wriskypump says...

Lol. I don't think the language is very bad either, but some people will complain if there is one cuss word in there and I don't rate it for language, so if I throw one in, then I rate it so no one comes a-charging me like a crazed rhino. Anyway, yeah, I would love to tell you a somewhat detailed first 7.5 chapters that led up to this. T'would be my honor. Oh, and before I start, Thank you for your review! and...I didn't know it was review week, but now I do! Okay. It was a dark and stormy night...No. Actually this story started in the afternoon, a bright sunny Saturday. In the dark pits of the swamp. A group of teenagers, ranging from 16-19 or somewhere in that range at least, xD, were trooping out into this swamp on a mission. The mc just about tells what that mission is, when the group is attacked by a bird--not just any bird--a freaking gigantosaur one. They all start running, ill-equipped, but one character lets himself be taken so the others have time to get away, which they do, to the first place they were going to stop at anyway (it was kinda phase one of the mission to go to the place, then continue on after they got what they needed) Now they need the secret gunstore for a different task: defeating the bird. The store is run by a good friend of the mc's, an old man (I shouldn't tell you how old ;) which, he was in this part, name: Malibu Gutterson. Long story short, the gunkeeper tells the mc to get a plan together, so they have a meeting with the remaining crew, which a certain amount of dissonance resides in, and they have this meeting that hardly comes to any avail, except if you like runaway oral stories and a bit of background into the characters, and except that they reach agreement that they want a flamethrower. Almost as soon as they reach that, the bird lands on the roof and says, basically, come out and fight you cowardous chickens. And then the mc and Gutterson sneak off and leave the others to distract/chat with the violent roof-dweller while they go to get the guns. And as you can see from this chapter, this ain't no normal gun house. Gutterson hardly ever takes people where he just took the mc. Gutterson always gets an order, and goes himself to pick it up for the customer, but, as you can tell, this isn't a normal day in all their lives, and the two of them are about to break out the big boys from...well, I don't want to spoil it. So, yeah. Have a great day, and I shall be calm, and shall keep writing. I still have yet to post chapters 11-20, which are written, but I haven't posted them, so, yeah. Sad face. Or whatever face you want to insert. hee hee, I like that elephant who plays games with his trunk. :D

AdmiralKat says...

XD Now I feel like your comment to my review, is longer than the actual review. XD This sounds like a great story though! :D

Wriskypump says...

It probably is, but, I had to sum up 7.5 chapters. :) To sum it up real snappy would do it a severe injustice. ;)

AdmiralKat says...

XD I'll go review your next chapters in the green room. XD

Wriskypump says...

really? You would be so kind, and take the time? *dies* *revives* Oh, and well, brace yourself though, because it is a...tripped out, whacked out ride

"You, who have all the passion for life that I have not? You, who can love and hate with a violence impossible to me? Why you are as elemental as fire and wind and wild things..."
— Gone With the Wind