Shouting

by rothwise

How my life would change

if all of the shouting stopped

and it was silent.

Grimmwolf wrote a review...

hiii, i'll be reviewing this for the checklist challenge. you probably won't see it ^^

so first of all, it's more of a senryu than it is a haiku. senryu focuses more on human nature than it focuses on nature, but they both follow the same kinds of formatting [5 7 5 syllables and three lines, etc etc]. senryu also usually paints human nature in a satricial way, but i've seen a lot of published ones that are more straightforward. i think it all depends on the style of who writes it and what they want to do with the poem.

i also see something else; the syllable scheme is a little off? i'm not sure if it is more of an accent thing between the two of us, or if you are trying out some experimental senryu/haiku where the syllables are slightly off, but i feel like sharing ^^

{if all of the shouting stopped}

there are two different ways to pronounce stopped depending on where you are from, and i assume it is the us because there isn't anything hinting otherwise xD. most times it's pronounced like "stopt" as google tells me, and that would only be one syllable. some areas draw out the o sound to be an aaa though, but i think that would still be one?

since this was shorter, i don't know what else to say. have a nice day [if you see this]

wolfy <3

AEChronicle wrote a review...

This is great.

I love the simplicity of haiku's, and how, when written well, convey a lot of information in their short lines.

This one is great, and I couldn't agree more. To bad life can't be quiet.

I also love that I can tell you aren't just talking about arguing siblings and mother hens. There's a lot of noisy people, and a lot of noisy stuff in the world.

My question from this would be; How? How do we get the world to be silent? Plugging our ears doesn't work very well these days.

This is very good work!

Thank you rothwise!

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:31 am
Ravaien wrote a review...

Indeed, I often wish for the same!

I love haikus, they are so amazing and this one is too!

Is simple but is meaningful.

I love the last line, especially. Ringing with different meanings....

Silence. Of what?

Shouting. Of what?

The shouting in your head? Or the shouting outside? Are you keeping something out or are you keeping something in? I like to mull over these things and I love how you've written this.

Keep up the good work!

rothwise says...

I love that the haiku made you think of all these questions! That's awesome, in the literal sense of the word, hah. Thanks a ton for your praise of the poem, that really means a lot. I'm so glad you liked it!

Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:26 am
mephistophelesangel wrote a review...

Hello rothwise!

I loved this haiku, to start with. I loved it especially because I knew what you meant so deeply, because I always think it too. 'If all of the shouting stopped' is wonderful. Lovely. It reflects a person who has had, like, enough of all those people saying 1. bad stuff or 2. opinions or 3. what they wanted, or etc, elegantly. Great job!

Keep writing, mephis

rothwise says...

Thanks so much - it's always good to find someone else who can relate. I'm so glad you loved this piece!

Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:54 am
Kanome wrote a review...

This is a wonderful haiku. I absolutely loved it!

and it was silent

The last line made the poem mysterious, and left me hanging with questions.

Which is a good way to end the haiku if you ask me c:

Keep up the good work.

If you want me to review, request me anytime!! c: I am looking forward to reading more of your work in the future, my good friend~

rothwise says...

Thank you! You're incredibly kind to say so, and I may definitely be hitting you up to review some of my other poetry sometime in the future ;)

Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:50 am
ConverseFireGirl wrote a review...

A good haiku here, I love writing them, as they're just short and sweet!
It had meaning behind it, and was easy to read, but still made the reader think about it, which is hard to do in my opinion!
The first line really draws the reader in too, as you want to know how you life would change and why.
The last line is really good, ending the poem nicely. I don't know why, but I just like it how "silent" is the last word, it just completes the poem nicely!
Good job! :D
-CFG

rothwise says...

Thanks so much! It's always good to find a fellow lover of haikus, they're so simple and yet they can behold so much meaning behind them! I'm really glad you liked it, that means a lot to me (:

Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:49 am
Rook says...

I don't know if you meant "stopped" to be pronounced "stop-ed," but if you didn't, the second line is only 6 syllables when it should be 7.
I liked this otherwise.

rothwise says...

I meant it to be pronounced as one syllable, which does make the second line 7 syllables, heh.
"If-all-of-the-shout-ing-stopped" is 7 syllables (:
But thanks, I'm glad you liked it!

Rook says...

oh oops! you're right! I guess I can't count. XD
I missed the "of."
Then great job!

rothwise says...

It's okay, I do that all the time by mistake :) Thanks so much!

Life's short; smile while you still have teeth.
— Tuesday