Math Class

by ajruby12

MATH CLASS

I look at the board

In helpless distress.

"The numbers look hard!"

I cry out, so pressed!

I bite my lip

And look again.

The words seem to snip

At my well-made plan.

I clench my jaw,

"I will conquer you!"

But then want to bawl

And turn my face blue.

The teacher just smiles

And walks up to the board.

Her fingers move quickly and piles

of numbers tumble out.

She looks at me and says,

"I'm sure you'll learn it soon!"

I laugh. "Never in all my days

Or in a full blue moon!"

Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:18 am
Mysticalxx wrote a review...

Haha! This is the exact distressing dilemma I face in my math class........everyday! :( Math is REALLY YUCK. Anyway, good poem! I love reading all poems about math-haters, or the agony of arithmetic and such. The first two lines are very eye catching, and you did a good job with description. You could improve the poem, though, by punctuating the lines. It gives a much better impression. :D

Keep it up!
Mysticalxx

ajruby12 says...

Thanks for stopping by! I struggle with liking math, but it has slowly improved. I definitely feel for both sides of the matter. :)

-AJ

Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:58 am
fantasydragon01 says...

Hi!
I stumbled upon this because of the title. Math can really be intimidating. The poem does make sense about math, as I am not a math person. It's important, but, well, it has a reputation.
You did a good job. Keep writing!

I love your avatar!!!

ajruby12 says...

Ha, I feel you there. I definitely appreciate math, but it's a struggle sometimes. Thanks for reading!

-AJ

Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:43 am
Snazzy wrote a review...

So I just finished reading and reviewing your latest poem, "An Idea", and I saw another poem titled "Math Class". I couldn't resist.:D I had a pretty good feeling I was going to enjoy this one! I was not disappointed! :D This was a very fun light-hearted poem!
"I clench my jaw,
'I will conquer you!'
But then want to bawl
And turn my face blue."
This is my favorite part! This is how I feel every day in math class.
Me: "You're going down math!!!"
*Teacher hands out worksheet*
Me: *sobs uncontrollably* "Why ME?!?!"
Anyway...... Sorry I couldn't give you any advice on this one... It was a great poem!!! Keep writing!
-SnazzyPencil

ajruby12 says...

Thank you! I tend to do humorous poems more than anything else.

Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:41 pm
emjayc wrote a review...

This is me in precalculus every day! This is a poem that most people can relate to and I really like that :) I like the little exclamations scattered throughout the poem that express your "helpless distress." This isn't the most amazing poem I've ever seen, but it definitely has a funny, entertaining quality to it that I enjoy.
I like the lines:

Her fingers move quickly and piles/ of numbers tumble out.

For some weird reason I like the image it gives. It's really neat. I like this poem!!! ^-^

ajruby12 says...

ha, I actually wrote this in math class.. :)
(yeah, I know.. Naughty me..)

emjayc says...

That's great haha

Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:26 am
DreamWork wrote a review...

Hi ajruby12,happy review day,here is Dark to give review on your wonderful poem.

Poem in the form of a narrative form always impress me to read.(Narrative poetry is a form of poetry which tells a story, often making use of the voices of a narrator and characters as well; the entire story is usually written in metred verse. The poems that make up this genre may be short or long, and the story it relates to may be complex. It is usually dramatic, with objectives, diverse characters, and metre.)Let me review in each lines to make sure I understand the whole poem well without mistaken.

# Math Class

I look at the board

In helpless distress. -->from the opening,you tell the reader how much hard it is to learn Math in Class.It is simple but straight to the point.

#
I clench my jaw,

"I will conquer you!"

But then want to bawl

And turn my face blue. -->I can feel the sense of humor here.

# The teacher just smiles

And walks up to the board.

Her fingers move quickly and piles-->I love the descriptions here.Very detailed and nice to read.

of numbers come tumbling out.

Overall,Your poem is so pleasant. Maybe you should make it more interesting by adding a bit elements inside with a metaphor or simile.Well done,I enjoyed reading your poem here.
Kudos,cheers
~Dark

Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:08 am
PeanutPhoebe wrote a review...

Love this so much!! Couldn't find it till now, sorry, I knew you'd posted it!! Love the fact that I saw you writing this and was there, and knew how you felt... Great job!! The one part that isn't that great is "piles of numbers tumble out" I love that idea, but the rhyming doesn't work well there. I think you could maybe change it slightly to rhyme and still have that idea. Keep writing!!

ajruby12 says...

I forgot to post it before.. :/
It was supposed to be posted before the 3-4 chapters of K.O.A but I forgot about it. But hey! It was free! :)

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:29 am
GoldFlame wrote a review...

Awesome! I have to agree with Messenger about my favorite lines, and that it was a wonderfully quick piece. Additional compliments to your rhyming! Just a few small things...

Was "Math Class" at the top of the page part of the poem, or was it the title? Maybe clear that up a bit. I also had a problem with the line "'I will conquer you!'" Did the narrator speak that out loud? If so, I would be confused by the comma after "I clench my jaw," as the phrase is not really a speaker's tag. You could consider removing the quotation marks and italicizing "I will conquer you!"

And before I go...

The rhyming fell apart at "of numbers come tumbling out." Very noticeable! Fixing it is easy, though; just change the word "board" to rhyme with "out", or vice versa.

Overall, it was a great poem, and I definitely enjoyed reading it. Can't wait to read more of your work!

Flame

ajruby12 says...

Yeah, I need to change the format on that..
I do realize the rhyme changing on "of numbers come tumbling out" but I think changing it might take away from the feel of the poem. But I'll try it!

GoldFlame says...

I know what you mean. It would probably be much easier to change "board" than to change "out", anyway. :D

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:19 am
DreamWork says...

Hello ajruby12,just wanted to say here,I love this poem.Well because I hate Math;).I will back soon for reviewing this nice poem during review day!

ajruby12 says...

Ha, I sorta like math, but it's not my favorite subject. But this was an experience in math class a week or so ago.

PeanutPhoebe says...

Yeah, I was there!!;)

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:03 am
Messenger wrote a review...

Knight Malachi hahaha here to hahaha review.
So this is a fast, short, funny poem. And one that isn't so unrealistic. (Inside joke) I love your character's attitude, as well as the teacher's. I have felt this way many MANY times with math, although obviously not with a teacher. The lines:

I clench my jaw,

"I will conquer you!"

But then want to bawl

And turn my face blue.

Are hilarious. As well as the last lines. I didn't see any technical problems. I will leave that job to Knight Dragon.
Keep it up!

ajruby12 says...

I'm sure he'll find them if there are any.. Thanks for the review!

-Lady Ariana

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
— Dr. Seuss