z

Young Writers Society

Squills 4/3/2017 - 4/8/2017

Reviews: 0
Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:50 am
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
megsug

General Editors
Gravity
Aley

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
Holysocks
Spots available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Community Reporter
marmalade
Casanova

Poetry Enchantress
Aley

Resources Reporter
Available - PM Squillsbot if interested

Storybook Reporter
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

Quibbles Columnist

Writer's World Columnist

Link Cowgirl
megsug

Social Correspondent
EternalRain

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
Pruno - Available - PM SquillsBot if interested
Gravity

Code Master
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

General Reporters
Nikayla
PrincessInk

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities. You can also subscribe to the Squills Fan Club , or PM SquillsBot to receive a notification each time a new issue is published!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

See an empty position you'd like to fill? Find position descriptions and instructions to apply here .

Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:55 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

R.E.D. HAS ENDED!
written by Princess Ink < PM: >

R.E.D. (or Review Every Day), is a contest to encourage YWSers to critique daily. Because this contest lasts for two months, this will test the contestants’ “stamina” to log in and review one piece a day—or more if possible. If you don't review for three days, a penalty falls on you.

Weeks passed as the reviewers steadily continued critiquing. The number of contestants dwindled as participants dropped out and donated points to @Contest’s account. But there were still some reviewers moving on and now the contest had finally ended. The top five contestants of R.E.D are:

1. @EternalRain wins this contest with a total number of 71 reviews. She will
certainly win a large number of points!
2. @Mea falls in second with 64 reviews.
3. Close behind in third is @Falconer with 62 reviews completed.
4. Fourth is @Carlito who has finished off 52 reviews.
5. @Nikayla with 46 reviews is fifth.

On April 1st, however, the members creating R.E.D. 2.0 had announced that they will not award any points. Was it really true? Well, this was merely an April Fool's Prank! Because the next day, Contest announced they will be splitting the points accumulated anyway: fifty percent for EternalRain, the champion; thirty percent for Mea; and twenty percent for Falconer. Let’s give a round of applause not only for the winners but also for all the contestants participating in R.E.D 2.0!

A final note to all YWSers: remember to keep critiquing—whether there’s a reviewing event or not—to both help the writers here improve their work and also to hone your self-editing skills.

Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:56 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NAPO COVERAGE
written by Nikayla < PM: >

It's already that time of the year again! NaPowrimo is here again and people are already spewing out poems with the first day already passed. If you don't know what NaPo is, which I doubt because everyone's heard of NaPo, but, it's a challenge similar to Nanowrimo, but for poetry! The goal of those who participate in NaPo is to write thirty poems inside the month of April.

As tradition, @Rydia has taken on the role of hosting April Madness, a contest in which poets duel each other to see who ends up on top. The poets participating are getting out their first poems and a handful have already submitted their entries for the first round. For more information on April Madness, click this link!

Many poets have already begun to write their poems, and @Audy thought that it would be an excellent to highlight some of them on her wall! Speaking of Audy, she has been crazy in terms of posting on others' NaPo threads, and we thank her for all of the kind and wise words she gives out.

I wish good luck to all of those who are participating in NaPo! It's quite a challenge that I've decided to take on myself as well because it's a lot of fun, and as many of you know, I adore poetry. Keep writing, folks! You can persevere throughout this! As it's early into the month, there's not a whole lot to report on NaPo, but we'll be sure to check back in and give more updates.

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:00 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THE WORD OF THE WEEK: ENNUI
written by megsug < PM: >
Pronunciation: ahn-wee

Part of Language: Noun

Definition: A feeling of discontent and listlessness rooted in a lack of interest, occupation, or excitement; boredom

Used in a Sentence: Halfway through summer break, Elizabeth wasted away on the couch, her ennui overwhelming.

Origin: Ennui is picked out of the French language where it means boredom. It comes from another French word for displeasure or annoyance: enui. Enui came from the French word for the verb annoy: enoiier and anuier. Some sources include Latin roots in the word odio or hated

Related words: Ennuis (plural)

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:02 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

TWO CENTS: NAPO
written by Aley < PM: >

As some of you may be aware, National Poetry Month is this April, and with this being the start of April, I thought it might be a good idea to go over what it means and why we do it.

National Poetry Month is basically a month dedicated to the writing of poetry. It's like National Novel Writing Month, but with poetry. Instead of writing 50,000 words, we write 30 poems, one for each day.

As a poet, I can tell you that writing a single poem a day is pretty unsubstantial. I can usually get on a topic I like to write about and write 3 rather quickly. If I want to talk about something in particular and I'm writing it by hand, I tend to write a few versions just to get all of my ideas out on paper and then I edit them together to create a poem.

This isn't the most efficient, and I'd post all three drafts as a poem, but that's what writing poetry can be like. NaPo is a private thing that you can either do with a group or alone. It's not something where you have to answer to someone, and it's not something that people are likely to engage you with.

On YWS, that's a little different. We like to make it big because it's something to participate in actively if you write poems. You can actually post your poems both on YWS and in threads for your NaPo, and usually there will be a few people giving feedback once in awhile.

We also do badges on YWS for people who want to write 30 poems, and some badges for different tasks, like writing a poem a day, commenting 30 times on at least 10 unique threads, and participating with prompts.

For me this month is all about getting in the habit of writing poetry because usually it's about this time of year when I try to start my New Years Resolution and write a poem a day. It's not hard, it's just that I get out of the habit, and that's the same for a lot of people.

All in all, NaPo is great for reading a lot of poetry that's in the beginning draft stage and for getting words on paper. It's not about the finished project as much as it is about the process, and that's one of the reasons I love it.

Hopefully you will to.

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:06 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S LINK ROUNDUP 4/2
written by megsug < PM: >

We’re going prank free in This Week’s Round Up. We really are. I promise.

@DreamingForever has posted a ton of prompts they found on Pinterest or made herself. She welcomes anyone else to share their prompts as well. One of her best ones in my opinion is:

A story starts focusing on Person A. Person B comes along and starts to fall in love with Person A. Person A is killed by the Protagonist, revealing that A is the antagonist. Person B then vows to kill the Protagonist and focus shifts to them.

She has more where that came from too!

@Lumi wants to know why you review whether you’re shooting for stars, like being a good-doer, or want to beat everyone else in the leaderboards. Squills’ own @PrincessInk has a pretty lofty goal:

This year I want to get all 5 yellow stars if possible

That’s a 124 reviews! How many reviews do you want to write this year?

No, not your anxiety. @Aley wrote an article about how to use the stress of syllables in words. This isn’t just for poets (though she’s got advice for them). Aley explains how writers incorporate stress into their prose:

You can use that as a prose writer many different ways. When you want something to be unstressful, you can cue your reader that everything is normal and fine by having a variety of sentence lengths and styles. Use a mix of pronouns and names, develop internal thought or external action, and the reader will likewise read easier.

If you want to create stress in your reading, repeat the same sounds, repeat the same tones, repeat the same sentence structures, repeat the same words. Reworking the language can create stress. Also, shorter sentences can create stress.

The article is a gem for writers looking to add subtle nuance to their work. Check it out!

@Terian805 has started a great conversation about favorite albums released in the 21st Century. Genre preferences are strewn wide and far. @Willard introduced a cool… slightly terrifying album called Blood Visions by Jay Reatard. He describes it as:

It's a thirty minute garage/power pop concept album about Jay murdering his girlfriend (yikes), but it does so much more than tell a story. It brings insight to his depression and his tendency to be too hard on himself, which is something I strongly relate to. Nightmares is one of the best break-up songs of all time, Turning Blue is killer, and has one of the coolest album closers in Waiting For Something

After reading this thread, I have way more albums to listen to.

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:07 am
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

There are no Shameless Plugs this week. Send us yours.

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:08 am
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@Love@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @ChildOfNowhere • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @Gardevite@cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow • @Strange • @ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis • @Noiralicious • @BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @Buggiedude2340• @Kosmos • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend • @RoseAndThorn • @Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona@vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@eldEr@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia • @Jhinx • @Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Autumns • @Wolfical • @Pamplemousse • @ReisePiecey • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @SkyeWalker@Noelle • @Lylas • @Tortwag • @kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria@AdmiralKat@Clickduncake@ely@Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain@Tuesday@Dragongirl@JKHatt@Lucia@donizback •@Falconer • @BlueSunset@artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity • @BlueAfrica • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings • @Ithaca • @TheForgottenKing@Shoneja123 • @Mage • @Mea@klennon14@fandomsNmusic@Meerkat@HolographicLadybug@Sevro@DragonWriter22@RippleGylf@amelie@Morrigun@Megrim • outvaders • @StormCycle • @pkidchick

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

I'm getting nachos~
— BluesClues