z

Young Writers Society

Squills - 1/17/2016 - 1/23/2016

Reviews: 0
Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:27 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Welcome to Squills, the official news bulletin of the Young Writers Society!

What will you find here? Tons of interesting news about YWS, including but not limited to: articles about writing, art, and the world of humanities; interviews with YWS members; shameless plugs; link round-ups; and opinionated columns.

And where will all of this come from? Take a look at our fantastic creative staff!

CREATIVE STAFF

Spoiler! :
Editor-in-Chief
BlueAfrica

General Editors
Gravity
megsug

Friendly Neighborhood Robot
SquillsBot

Literary Reporter
AstralHunter

Community Reporter
Elysium

Resources Reporter
PretzelStick

Storybook Reporter
Kanome

Poetry Enchantress
Aley

Quibbles Columnist
Lavvie

Link Cowgirl
megsug

The Adventurer
BlueAfrica

Social Correspondent
JustPerks

Associates of Pruno and Gruno
Blackwood
Gravity

Media Critic
Kanome

Wellness Advisor
Skydreamer

Code Master
Available - PM SquillsBot if interested

General Reporters
AstralHunter
OliveDreams
Skydreamer

Past Editors-in-Chief
GriffinKeeper
AlfredSymon
Iggy
Hannah
ShadowVyper

Of course, our content can’t come only from our staff. We also depend on you to help keep Squills successful. You’re all a part of a writing community, after all. If you’re interested in submitting to Squills, pop on over to the Reader’s Corner to find out how you can get involved by contributing an article or participating in other Squills activities. You can also subscribe to the Squills Fan Club , or PM SquillsBot to receive a notification each time a new issue is published!

Well, that’s all I have for now. So, what are you waiting for? Enjoy!

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:29 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

FEATURED MEMBER INTERVIEW WITH SNAZZYPENCIL
written by Elysium < PM: >

Hello everyone! Elysium your community reporter here with an interview with SnazzyPencil about her becoming the Featured Member! Let's get started!

Squills: Were you expecting on becoming Featured Member?

SnazzyPencil: Honestly, I wasn't really expecting it! There are plenty of better writers and reviewers and over-all better members than me here on YWS. It was a pleasant surprise.

S: When you found out, what was your initial reaction?

SP: I believe at first I just sat there smiling like an idiot. I was out of town on vacation at the time, so I ran away from everyone to a room where I could be alone to make sense of all of it. It was one of the few occasions where I was actually speechless.

S: What is your favorite thing to do on YWS?

SP: Normally, I like to browse through the clubs and publishing my poems. :) But once I got into reviewing a lot more this past month, I'm starting to like it better! I get to read (without actually buying a book), and help the author at the same time! So, hitting two birds with one stone, I guess. ;)

S: Finally, do you have any advice for people out there that want to be the next FM?

SP: My advice would be to basically just, exist. Be yourself, and do what you love. Try and challenge yourself to help others more, whether it be just emotional support in the chat bar, or reviewing someone's work so they can become a better author. After all, wouldn't you want them to do the same for you?

Thank you, Snazzy! Congratulations on earning FM, band geek! That's all for this edition. Thanks for reading and stay tuned for next week's edition!

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:31 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

A Mod Moment: Noelle
written by Pretzelstick < PM: >
"Last week, a curious Pretzel was looking through the index of Squills, and decided to bring back a favorite series of theirs: "A Mod's Moment".

Personally though, I think that it's awesome to write an article where everyone else on YWS can get to know a certain mod of choice a lot better. And the hand-chosen one is... @Noelle. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer these five questions, and I'm so glad to have you on the show! Let's get right into it, shall we?

Squills: What is the best and the worst part about being a mod?

Noelle: It's hard to pick a worst part because there isn't much that I don't enjoy about being a mod. That being said, for me, I'd say being in charge. In real life I'm a bit overwhelmed with social situations and having to tell people they did something wrong. So when I'm put in the same situation online it's the same feeling. I second guess myself and think so long on how to respond that the problem either fixes itself or another mod steps in.

There are so many great things about being a mod. The best part would have to be actually being a mod. I'm getting old growing up and I don't think I'd still be around as much if I weren't a mod. It keeps me coming back to the site everyday.

S: Can you tell us about any funny/embarrassing "moldy" mistakes that you have made?

N: I really haven't made too many mistakes. Of course that's probably because I haven't done much moldy stuff, but that's besides the point. One time I remember though was when I was trying to move a thread to a different forum. I ended up sending a duplicate post to the correct forum, which then left the original post in the wrong forum. That was, I think, the first time I'd ever done something big like that and I promptly started to freak out. In reality I think I only asked a simple question and it was easily fixed, but at the moment it was the biggest deal ever. Looking back on it it wasn't really that bad.

S: What advice would you give to a blue member who wanted to be turned into green?

N: Just do what you do best! Find that niche of the site where you really excel or really enjoy being in. Or if you're a jack of all trades then just keep it up. Your hard work won't go unnoticed. And just being a kind person is a good thing. Help out the new members, be encouraging to those you know are just trying to get better. Simple as that ^_^

S: Which ""team" are you working in and what are your duties?

N: I'm on the Gen Lit crew. Basically I make sure the short stories and novel sections stay nice and tidy, as well as chat and anything else around the site. A big part of my job though is continuing to review. With such an emphasis on great feedback on pieces it's important that us mods set the example. I've always enjoyed reviewing anyway.

S:Why do you think that you were chosen to become a JM?

N: Well, considering in the years between me joining and becoming a mod I only came on the site to post and review, I'd say my reviewing. I did a ton of reviews in my early years. Of course most of them were terrible, but that's all part of growing into your reviewing style. I guess the mods liked how I was always out there and doing my best to help people improve.

And that, Squills peeps this wraps up the first "Mod's Moment" edition of 2016. Hurrah! That's all for now, and see you next week with another juicy article!

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:32 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

ADVENTURES IN WRITING
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

Welcome to our last article in the series on narrative voice! This week, I want to talk about some different forms your narrative can take. Most of the time, we write novels in straightforward “story” fashion. There are other options, however, especially when writing in a first-person viewpoint. Let’s take a look.

A diary. Writing your novel in the format of diary entries can let readers deeper than ever into your character’s head. Otherwise secret thoughts are poured out in the pages of a diary, so the narrator can share their deepest fears, hopes, and dreams with the reader in a way they might not in a different narrative form. The Dear America series (multiple authors) uses this format to bring history alive by letting young readers read about the first-hand experiences of characters during different periods of American history.

However, diary format makes for a very limited viewpoint. The narrator is the only character whose experiences are directly conveyed to the reader, as everything other characters have said or done throughout the day are written in diary entries after the fact.

Of course, that sets a great stage for unreliable narrators. In the privacy of their diaries, they can portray events any way they want.

An Interview. Interview format is interesting because it lets readers develop an idea of two different characters through the questions asked and the responses given. My favorite example of this format is “An Orison of Sonmi-451” from Cloud Atlas (David Mitchell). This chapter of the novel focuses on the ascension of Sonmi-451, a genetically engineered server who faces execution for the part she played in the rebellion against the Unanimity. Because of the questions asked by the archivist interviewing her, Sonmi shares certain thoughts on the corpocracy that might not have occurred to her without the archivist’s prompting.

Furthermore, while Sonmi is the focus of this chapter, readers get to see the archivist’s doubts and shifting viewpoints throughout the interview. The archivist is a pureblood and a government employee; he was raised to believe that the corpocracy is right and good, the natural order of things. But in moments like these, we see the interview with Sonmi unsettling his views of Unanimity, even as he denies it.

What you describe is beyond the…conceivable, Sonmi-451. Murdering fabricants to supply dineries with food and Soap…no. The charge is preposterous, no, it’s unconscionable, no, it’s blasphemy! As an Archivist I can’t deny that you saw what you believe you saw, but as a consumer of the corpocracy, I am impelled to say, what you saw must, must have been a Union…set, created for your benefit.

Letters (or emails, or texts, or chat conversations). Another format is that of letters—either the letters from a single character to a different character or the letters sent back and forth between them. Given the times, I felt I had to add electronic forms of communication as well. Emails, text messages, and chat conversations can be found in modern novels. ttyl (Lauren Myracle) is written entirely as a series of IMs between three friends.

Of course, you need to be careful how you use these formats. It pains me to mention 50 Shades of Grey (E.L. James) in any capacity, but the book makes frequent use of emails between Grey and Ana. This is a problem for two reasons. The first and simplest is that email is overused. For two people in their twenties in 2011, both of whom have cell phones and/or Blackberries, it’s bizarre that they resort to constant emailing—especially since Ana somehow made it through college in the 2010s without an email address. (Except of course the email address her university DEFINITELY assigned her when she enrolled, but that’s a rant for another time.) Text messages would have made more sense in virtually every moment of technological communication.

The other problem is that every email quoted in the book includes the time and date stamp, the sender, the recipient, the subject, the full message, and—in the case of Grey, at least—the signature. The only part readers need—or care about—is the message. As long as it’s clear who sent the message and who is receiving it, you don’t need to include details like time and date stamps for the sake of “realism.”

If these formats are used well, however, playing with letters, diary entries, and interviews can add to the story. Multiple characters can talk in first-person; characters can share more sensitive thoughts with the reader than they might with other characters; and if you feel a need to explain why your character is sharing his story in the first place—there you go.

Join us next week to find out who the winners of BlueAfrica’s Narrative Voice Contest are!

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:34 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

QUIBBLES
Articulating with Articles
written by Lavvie < PM: >

It is easy to forget about debatably the most important thing about speech: articles. And no, I am not talking about articles found in newspapers or blogs. I am talking about the article (no pun intended) in grammar, composed uniquely of three very small, very powerful words: the, a, and an. Believe it or not, the misuse of articles can result in some rather embarrassing situations. For example, if @Snoink was asked to pick up a pig from the zoo instead of the designated one, there could potentially be some serious legal consequences. (After all, we don’t want our beloved Miss Piggy being accused of kidnapping.)

Articles are useful when defining nouns as specific or unspecific. The is a definite noun, meaning the noun is specific and obvious. A and an, on the other hand, are indefinite and therefore the nouns are more vague. They are used in general statements. Oftentimes, the difference between definite and indefinite articles is one that establishes the noun’s hierarchy of importance. If the writer wants to emphasize a particular idea or object, they will likely employ a definite article. However, if they are less concerned with the importance of what they are expressing, it is more probably that indefinite articles will be used. For example:

Please pass me the hardcover book from the pile.

Please pass me a hardcover book from a pile.

As you can see, the first example shows a sentence which employs definite articles, as opposed to the second sentence which employs indefinite articles. The definite articles highlight the importance of the book being hardcover and being from the specified pile. The indefinite articles, however, imply that it doesn’t matter which pile whichever book is taken from. In that sense, it is a vaguer sentence.

Articles modify nouns and consequently should be placed in front. If the noun is being modified by one or more adjectives, the article should then be placed before the adjective – or we risk sounding quite silly.

@StellaThomas likes the pretty, pink princess.

The as a definite article is also quite useful to emphasize points.

With an indefinite article: @Iggy is a babe.

With a definite article: @Iggy is the babe.

Indefinite articles are associated with something that we generally don’t know about or care about, honestly put.

A long time ago, there was an armadillo.

We don’t know anything about this armadillo. We don’t know where it came from, if it has a name, or even a lover. In short, we cannot define the armadillo so we use an indefinite article to modify it.

Finally, even acronyms are affected by articles. For example, we say and write a YWS member over an YWS member, but we prefer an OWL at Hogwarts to a OWL at Hogwarts. Always.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:36 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Remembering David Bowie
written by megsug < PM: >

He came to America as an alien gifting us rock and roll. David Bowie was one of the first in the glam rock movement when he hit the stage as Ziggy Stardust, and he left the world a few days after his album, Black Star, dropped. Known for his groundbreaking music or his quirky movie roles like that of the goblin king in the Labyrinth.

At 69, David Bowie died January 10 of cancer. His death has renewed interest in the legacy of his music, millions of people downloading his albums. The impact his death has had on sales rivals that of Michael Jackson. The grieving of fans around the world has created a sense of community, which for a day was seen on YWS through user’s wall posts.

In response to one of the many posts regarding the star’s death, @StellaThomas said:

If anything, aspire to the fact that he could not have gone with his affairs any more in order. Made his final record to say goodbye to the world and died surrounded by his loved ones. If only most of us would have such peaceful endings. <3

She seems to be completely right. David Bowie focused on art until the very end, doing what he loved, and seems to have had all proceedings in order. The album was timely as @Birkoff’s post illustrates:

Such… news to wake up to. ;-;

And I was just jamming out to his new album yesterday.

RIP, you damn legend of a man. </3

Black Star was not the only timely creation. In a sad coincidence, @Stranger wrote a poem titled inspired by David Bowie

Starman, I hope you’re enjoying space. RIP, David Bowie.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:37 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

Remembering Alan Rickman
written by Lavvie < PM: >

I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death.

Sitting in the movie theatre at the age of six, perceiving and hearing a gigantic image of the seemingly emotionless Professor Snape brought to life, I was undeniably bewitched and ensnared. The chills that ran down my spine in that moment never left. In some way or another, Alan Rickman’s portrayal of Severus Snape in the Harry Potter films was forever marked by these first intimidating words so when I heard that the brilliant actor had passed away at the still rather young age of sixty-nine, I heard the above words and it didn’t feel fair. Alan Rickman was Snape for me and yet he had failed to even put a stopper in death. And people say parallel universes don’t exist.

Of course, I am aware that Alan Rickman was known not just for his formidable acting in the Harry Potter franchise, but also superb roles in movies such as Die Hard and Love Actually. The final time we shall hear his intriguing voice ring in our ears will be in the May release of Tim Burton’s Alice Through the Looking Glass, Rickman voicing for the second and last time the enticing caterpillar, Absolem.

In spite of his lofty end, Rickman had humble beginnings, born in 1946 to a truly English working class family. Neither parents were involved in theatre, as one worked from home and the other laboured long hours in a factory. Nevertheless, there is no doubt that Rickman’s love for the arts must have stemmed from his childhood education which was heavily based on the Montessori model, a system that aims to foster individuality and creativity at a young age. Besides enjoying theatrics, Rickman was quite skilled at calligraphy and even delved into the world of watercolour painting. For a brief period after school, Rickman worked as a graphic designer (a job his brother was also involved in). Years later, the actor notably stated, “Drama school wasn’t considered the sensible thing to do at eighteen.”

After pursuing a failed business venture in graphic artistry, Rickman decided to shoot for the stars and requested an audition for a spot at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. He was successful and spent two years enjoying his studies there, focussing on Shakespeare and working as a dresser for such names as Sir Nigel Hawthorne. After graduation, he held roles in many Shakespearean plays and, after superbly playing a male lead in Christopher Hampton’s adaptation of Les Liaisons Dangereuses, Rickman gained great acclaim for his performance.

The rest of Alan Rickman’s career consists of a variety of roles. He played many romantic leads, like in Truly, Madly, Deeply and the adaptation of the Austen classic, Sense and Sensibility. However, the British actor is probably even more known for his stunning portrayals of deliciously complex villains, always complete with the best intonation and spine-tingling sneer. His part as Hans Gruber in Die Hard has gone down in history as perhaps one of the best movie villains in film history.

And then came Harry Potter and the intricate character of Severus Snape. Apparently, J. K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter books, was obliged to phone Alan Rickman to convince him that Snape was not your typical stock villain and that there was, in fact, much more to him than would initially meet the eye. To the Harry Potter fandom, Rickman delivered the most alluring Snape he could offer and his portrayal received worldwide critical acclaim. The actor showed us that the Slytherin Head of House was much more than an unchanging wardrobe of black robes, that there was actually a head and, most importantly, a heart. Alan Rickman as Tybalt, as Colonel Brandon, as Jamie, as Rasputin, as Absolem, and as Severus Snape will live on and we will remember his prowess, his courage, his passion, and his love for all that he ever accomplished.

Always.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:39 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

NEW ARRIVALS
written by BlueAfrica < PM: >

Take a moment to welcome this week’s newest members to the site!

@RSTorres has posted the first chapter of a novel. Click here to read it and leave a review ! 16+ for language.

@janarose has posted the first four chapters of a romance called Near to You. Click here to check out their portfolio !

@teriesa334 has earned their first review star. Head to their wall to congratulate them !

Other members who haven't had a chance to be as active, but are no less a member of our family are...

@Wren@My1Story@eaterofwoe@winterwriter24@LorenzoRaphael@WitheringHyacinth@demiamador@mollylyons@abhigupta123@Cain@izziwrites@brokenbeastxx@TwizzlerSaga@Aries@Tittle14@deadlylove319 • @writer12345 • @Diegoesperanza97@Avrilhyde@soumil@ChaoticCookieCat@verronica334@ACRodriguez@beccaf19@Aditi@LaPetitePrincess@HelloxxxItsxxxMe@Keajaiban@97story@smilingretro@xxsazxx@CupcakeQueen123@Jessiii@robyn95@janarose@TheLordMerlin@teriesa334@Snazzyweres@afiyaqureshi1@LoganKennedy@EllieFinn@boommer456@mollylamppert@Ammiraglio • @leliealmaraz • @writervid@Stella2021@amaltheaard@sonam@SnehaSundaresan@bvb4life@jamesbarrett • @RPP • @gautam@KatieLou@Writing4You@PIEFROLIC99@isabelmakala@tayo124@RSTorres@KABoulter@mojo1213@asgarner@countrygirl18@Hawkpelt@Srg9000@KittyMew@kush@Belak32@NicoleHand@KiaraMusgrove@Faith003@Gatsby@Liliseaxpancake@haileeamara@annamckenna@WeirdoPotato@Kwishy@Koyuki@atulsharmainthegame • @fangirldivergent46 • @Sparkling7@Yashna1610@melaniesara@Passionwriter

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:40 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

THIS WEEK'S ROUNDUP – 1/17
written by megsug < PM: >

Find a blast from the past in an article from 2007 or an ’88 Ford. Review or get a banner made. (especially review though!)

@Snoink owns three cars, one of which is able to get her from point A to point B. She’s curious to see who’s older than her cars which are 16, 22, and 28 years old. @dragonlily is older than one of the cars and had an interesting reaction:

…Yay, I'm older than the Neon! *feels so very, very young and tiny*

It is a little overwhelming to consider that there are things that have seen decades you’ll never see. Which of Snoinks cars are you older than?

Because now it can. @felistia created a club where there are weekly reviewing competitions, and the user with the most reviews at the end of the week wins. The prize is:

…300 points and a free review…

Join the club and start reviewing your heart out today!

@Rishik can help. Though he’s taking a short break for exams, Rishik wants to make banners for people like this one he made for @MadWriter7’s club and novel:

Spoiler! :

Whether it’s for your wall, a club, or something else, Rishik can help you out! He should be back the 19th or shortly after!

In 2007, Snoink wrote an article about procrastination. I like it because it doesn’t address the type of procrastination you find on Youtube, but the procrastination found when we:

…do character biographies. We outline the story, constructing every single piece of conflict, no matter how miniscule it is, and make sure every reaction of each character is perfect

Not because any of that is bad to do, of course, but it can distract from the main goal which is getting the story on the page. As Snoink explains in her article, sometimes you just gotta write, even if it isn’t perfect.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:43 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SHAMELESS PLUGS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

We love to run articles and questions, but we also love to advertise for you. Let people know about your new blog, a poem or story you’re looking for reviews on, or a forum thread you’d like more traffic on through Squills’ Shameless Plugs. PM @SquillsBot with the exact formatting of your advertisement, contained in the following code.

Code: Select all
Place advertisement here. Make sure you include a title!

There are no shameless plugs this week! Now send us yours.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:44 am
View Likes
SquillsBot says...

SUBSCRIBERS

written by SquillsBot < PM: >

Find enspoiler-ed a list of our subscribers!

Spoiler! :
@SquillsBot@Carina@ShadowVyper@ArcticMonkey@Hannah@KingLucifer@Caesar@veeren@megsug@StoneHeart@Skydreamer@heather@Aley@Rydia@Alpha@skorlir@KnightTeen • @AriaAdams • @neko@Aquila90@DudeMcGuy@kayfortnight@Cole@Blackwood@manisha • @fortis • @HighTop • @cgirl1118@KittyCatMeow@Stranger@ChocoCookie@carbonCore@Auxiira@Iggy@Blues@Paracosm@Sparkle@FireFox@Dakushau • @AlexSushiDog • @wizkid515@yubbies21@PiesAreSquared@FatCowsSis • @Noiralicious • @BenFranks@TimmyJake@whitewolfpuppy@WallFlower@Magenta@BrittanyNicole@GoldFlame@Messenger@ThereseCricket@TriSARAHtops • @buggiedude2340• @AdrianMoon • @WillowPaw1@Laure@TakeThatYouFiend@dragonlily@Cheetah@NicoleBri@Pompadour@Zontafer@QueenOfWords@Crimsona • @DeeDemesne • @vluvswriting@GreenTulip@Audy@EllaBliss@Isha@Deanie@lostthought@CesareBorgia@Omni@Morrigan@AfterTheStorm • @AstralHunter • @Autumns • @Wolfie36 • @Pamplemousse • @ReisePiecey • @gia2505 • @BiscuitsBatchAvoy • @Reneia • @Noelle • @Lylas • @Tortwag • @kingofeli@SpiritedWolfe@malachitear@GeeLyria • @KatyaElefant • @Clickduncake • @Elysium • @Seraphinaxx@Pretzelstick@WritingWolf@EternalRain • @Blaspherica • @Dragongirl@JKHatt@Hattable@Lucia@donizback • @Falconer • @Sunset101 • @artybirdy@IncohesiveScribbles@cleverclogs@MLanders@ClackFlip@PickledChrissy@racket@Lorelie@Gravity • @BlueAfrica • @hermione315@Steggy@willachilles@tintomara138@AmatuerWritings

Do you, too, want to be enspoiler-ed and receive a personal weekly notification when the Squills newsletter is posted? Shoot a PM over to SquillsBot to let him know, and you'll be pinged along with the next issue!

The words you speak become the house you live in.
— Hafiz