12+ Violence Mature Content

Love in decaying hearts: Part Ten

by vampricone6783

*This is the last of my “Love in decaying hearts” series. This story is underneath my folder titled “Love in decaying hearts”. Gacha Club character designs are under my forum “My character designs <33”. Enjoy!*

Twilight stared at Melanie, tears in her eyes. She looked from Cassidy, to Melanie, and back again.

“I’m so sorry…I just…I…” Twilight trailed off, voice shaking with sobs.

For years, Melanie wanted to tear through her face, to punch her in the cheek for what she did, but the past was past, and Twilight was a girl who was not yet at peace with herself.

“The past is in the past. I don’t forgive you, but I understand. It’s done with now. We’re safe now.” Melanie said.

She held out her arms for a hug and Twilight embraced her.

Melanie stared at the black, smoking spot on the ground where Cassidy had lain. Cassidy, the witch who had almost taken their lives.

Azrail stood next to the spot, worried thoughts swimming in his crimson eyes.

She’d talk to him later. At the moment, after everything, Twilight needed consoling.

The girl who once bullied her, confiding in her for comfort. Melanie never thought that she’d see the day, and yet, it happened.

It’d take some time to completely forgive Twilight for the past, but at least they could start anew.

……………………………………………………

Twilight didn’t feel at her best to fly back home, so she hid her wings in the folds of her flesh and called a taxi to take her back home. Hiding the wings hurt her slightly, but at the moment, she’d rather go on a taxi than have to rely on her wings after being held captive by Cassidy.

Twilight’s disfigurement on the side of her face had healed, as did Melanie’s. When the two girls met, it wasn’t the greatest of reunions…

But at least they were both headed home.

Melanie and Azrail flew above the forest, Azrail holding tightly onto her hand so she wouldn’t fall. After all, Melanie had used a great extent of her power to protect Twilight and Azrail from Cassidy.

All of the ghosts they saw had come to rest, but since the three of them were vampires, would they ever truly rest? A few of Azrail’s victims got their happy ending. Lenore and Edalyn got their happy endings.

But what about him? Was Azrail even happy? He didn’t get to find all of his victims’ ghosts, he didn’t even get to become human again. Cassidy wanted nothing more than for him to rot and burn away, all because she thought that he wasn’t worthy of being fascinated with the darker side of life when she herself was a witch.

Melanie told him many times that he shouldn’t beat himself up, that he was more than his teeth, but how much did he actually listen to her? Did he even love her? She was the descendant of Fiona, and possibly looked exactly like her. Did Azrail only care about her because she looked like Fiona?

“Do you love me?” Melanie blurted out.

She didn’t expect those words to come out, and yet they did, fluttering onto Azrail like frantic butterflies.

Azrail grinned and brought her close to him. They held onto each other, as though they were in a sky waltz.

“I loved you the moment I saw you.” Azrail whispered.

He leaned in to kiss her on the lips, but she pulled away.

“Why do you love me? Because I look like Fiona? You were so fixated on the past this whole time. Would you feel better if you were dead?” Melanie asked.

Azrail blinked, as though she had stabbed him in the heart with her words. Melanie immediately wished that she had taken back the last sentence, for although she hadn’t meant anything bad by it, she must have offended him so, or else why would he look so betrayed?

Azrail sighed and said:

“At first, I only liked you because you looked like Fiona. But as I spent more time with you, I found my love for you growing, spreading all around me. When I first became a vampire, I didn’t think that it was possible for me to love. I thought that I was destined to be a soul-sucking monster, that I’d kill the first thing with a heart.”

He brushed a stray hair away from Melanie’s face. Though he had fangs, he smiled as innocently as the human boy he must have been several centuries ago.

“But you, my dear Melanie, have shown me that love is beyond what we are. Love is what is within us, and it is what drives many of our actions. Love is persistent, one can’t simply wish it away or pound it to the ground. Its’ voice is a screaming banshee, a singing siren. It cannot be ignored. And if embraced, is the very thing that makes our soul glow as soft and gentle as a gas lantern on a cold, still night of unease.” Azrail said.

Melanie felt her face flush into crimson, she interlocked her claws with his.

“Melanie, I love you with all my being, and I want to spend the rest of eternity with you. If you feel the same, then I shall embrace you in these arms forevermore.” Azrail said.

Melanie squeezed him close to her in a hug and planted a kiss on his cheek, barely containing her enthusiasm.

“I love you too!” Melanie cried out.

……………………………………………………

Azrail had returned Melanie back home, to her family. Mom and Dad hugged her close, but her little sister, Angie, hugged her tighter than anyone Melanie had ever met, even Azrail.

Melanie wasn’t sure if she’d ever tell Angie that Azrail killed her dog to make Melanie happy, for that was many months ago, and Melanie had been a person full of anger and sorrow back then. Matter of fact, she wasn’t sure if she’d tell Angie the extent of what she did at all. Sure, Angie knew about vampires, ghosts, and witches from Mom, but there was still much that Melanie would like to keep private from her.

Melanie certainly wasn’t going to tell her friend, Skylar, about the adventure that she went on with Azrail. Skylar knew nothing about the supernatural, and Melanie would like to keep it that way.

Melanie married Azrail a year later, right in her family’s backyard. The wedding was at night, where the stars and moon were the only sources of light. Melanie’s family was invited, Skylar was invited. Twilight sometimes kept in contact with Melanie, but mostly preferred a life away from her. They weren’t enemies, but they weren’t quite friends, either, and Melanie thought it best not to invite her.

Her parents weren’t too happy with Azrail turning Melanie into a vampire, but at least they were both happy together, and if Azrail tried anything, well then, Melanie was a witch, and she was more than capable of completely obliterating him.

But thankfully, such a thing would never have to happen, for their love was as pure as lilies in a glistening, glimmering pond.

Contrary to popular belief, vampires can most certainly have children the traditional way that humans do, if they really wanted to.

Some years had passed, and Melanie and Azrail wanted a child. They didn’t want to bite a human child, so they tried their luck at creating their own child.

They did have a daughter, a baby girl named Lilith Callista Williams. First name after the fierce woman in the Bible who wanted equal rights, the middle name after Azrail’s mother.

Lilith was born a vampire, and looked just like her father, but had the boundless love that was within her mother. She loved both her parents dearly, and wanted to explore life’s every nook and cranny, every twist and turn.

Melanie made sure to visit her family, for although she had stopped an evil witch years ago, she never wanted them to feel the pain that they felt when she disappeared ever again.

Mom knew not to keep the witch part of the Angelica family a secret, and helped Melanie and Angie with their powers. She also helped Lilith harness the extent of the magic within her.

Though Lilith was a vampire, she saw humans as her equal, and tried her best to kill only animals. Of course, she’d sometimes slip up and kill a human, but her parents would console her and all would be well. After all, everyone makes mistakes, and Lilith was never intentionally malicious.

Lilith had a human friend named Xavier, whom she played with and confided in. He knew of her nature, but didn’t see her as a monster. He saw her as a friend who happened to be more magical than the rest, and that, Lilith cherished deeply.

The ghost of Jasmine would sometimes visit Lilith, just to play with her, but then, she would fade back to Heaven. Melanie and Azrail didn’t mind much. As long as Lilith had friends whom she trusted, then that was all that mattered.

Azrail did get visits from his parents who had perished centuries ago. Even though he tried his best to keep an image of security amongst his loved ones, there were days when he needed the love of his parents, and that was when they would come to him, for even though he was a vampire, he was still their little boy.

All of this, Melanie wrote in a series called: “Mysteria’s woes”, a book about a girl named Mysteria who was trying to find her place in a world of the strange and the supernatural.

Many praised how “real” her stories seemed to be, even when dealing with things such as vampires, witches, and ghosts, but Melanie would simply smile (with her lips closed, of course) and say:

“It was in my heart all along.”

For even in a decaying heart, there was still love.

Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:56 am

Woo I've made it all the way to the end!

It makes sense now that Twilight was less creepy/scary/threatening than Cassidy in the earlier chapters to set it up for Melanie to forgive her. I think she can still be tweaked in those chapters to make her seem less cartoon villain like, but the distinction between the two - Twilight's evil seems more superficial where Cassidy's evil is a lot more deeply rooted.

I like that this last chapter is an epilogue of sorts where we get to see the characters in the years after this has all happened. I think Azrail and Melanie's love story feels a little rushed but I also understand it's not the focus of the story.

The last line works really well and I like that you've linked it back to the title.

This was a good one to read :)

Icy

Mon Jun 10, 2024 2:53 am
KaeRae88 wrote a review...

Hey, Kaerae here! First, let's break out the tissues because whattttttt last chapter!!
It is such a cute ending~ Let's break it down into little segments for the review.

Beginning:

Aw, this part is so sweet. All the ties needed to be neatly wrapped together in a bow for the ending and this somewhat friendship made me smile. Melanie had the heart to forgive someone who had bullied her. I think that really shines her 'true colors' out, as you are done developing her character. So that wrapped it up with twilight, then we get right into making things right with her lover.
Middle:
Azrail sighed and said:

“I love you too!” Melanie cried out.
Awwwwwww. I might seriously need those tissues. It's always great to see a relationship flourish even under hard circumstances and their relationship definitely wasn't just the ordinary type. In these paragraphs, you grew Azrail's character, just like you did with Melanie's, and I think it really tied the whole bow together. Honestly, if you had stopped writing here, I would have been satisfied with that ending. But you went on to explain everything after too, the little things.

We get to see the whole family reunion, and the reunion of two beautiful
souls. It's cute to see two people who we never thought would be together get happily married. It's nice that you went through all of her friends/family and gave a little explanation about what happened. We usually don't get that in books, but I actually kind of like it. As everything is coming to a close, we know all of her friends and family are safely secure, and it leaves no room for contemplating, or letting the reader decide what happened. It also leaves no room to write another adventure with Melanie and Azrail, and it is so bittersweet.
Ending:

Oh my goodness! I was not expecting them to have a child, but you even included it here! I feel like Lilith is just that extra glitter on top of the present! It's so cute to see how much her parents care for her, and to see that she has friends is enough. I think that part was very important to include. One thing I want to point out, the sentence
This part seems a little wordy. I think we all understand what you are trying to say, but it just seemed a little...off? It defiantly just could be me, but I think it would sound better if you said something like, "Her first name was chosen because of the fierce woman in the Bible who wanted equal rights, and her middle name was taken from Azrail’s mother. " You don't have to change it if you like the way you first wrote it, but just a suggestion.
Alright, the last few sentences I wanted to have a paragraph by themselves, because wow.
Last few sentences:

“It was in my heart all along.”

Again, everything is so properly tied up here, and I think is adorable that Melanie went to write about her adventures! And that last sentence gave us the whole reason that the story was named that. All of it is very well written, I definitely couldn't have done better myself. It is such a cute way to end this story and even though I am sad that it's over, I am happy I was able to read them! I hope to see more short stories like this from you!

Keep writing!!
KaeRae

vampricone6783 says...

Glad you liked it! :>

Mr. Scorpio says productivity is up 2%, and it's all because of my motivational techniques -- like donuts and the possibility of more donuts to come.
— Homer Simpson