z

Young Writers Society


16+ Mature Content

Pokemon Ultimate Evolution Season 2: Episode 16, Growing Suspicion

by dark


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for mature content.

I managed to reach Pan's apartment building in about an hour. Most of that time was spent watching the nighttime mood of the city. I slipped under the awning above the entrance to read the copper plaque that was loosely bolted to the cracked wall.

"East Fearahu Hotel: Moderate sized rooms for a good price." I read aloud. "This place doesn't look all that great, but it's the place."

"It has its pros and cons." Said a boy next to me. He turned to face a younger girl behind him. "Flannery, why don't you go on inside?"

"Okay. See you soon, Jakey!" She exclaimed and skipped through the doors.

"You live here?" I asked him.

"Used to. Only people with financial issues stay at this place, and since those people are hard to come by in Abstar, the owner can't afford to renovate." He answered. "Name's Jake. The girl I was with is my little sister Flannery. What's a guy like you doing over here?"

"What do you mean a guy like me, Jake?"

"I'm a Honchkrow, see. You probably know this, but we have a weak ability to feel aura. I have to say, dude, you've got some serious aura on you." He said. "It's so strong that I can just barely feel it."

"Oh, well that's good to know." I nodded, not really listening. I had heard it all before. "Hey, you must be that huge Honchkrow I saw about an hour ago."

"WHAT!" Jake yelled. "You saw me? No one has ever seen me flying at night before. I blend in too well!"

"Ha, well you better watch out for guys like me. I'm a real serious threat to you if you can't hide." I laughed. I walked past him and inside the building.

"Hey, what's your name?" Jake questioned.

"My name's Ryan." I answered, slowly growing suspicious.

"Ryan? Could he be the same Ryan that Pan was going to?" He thought. "Hey, Ryan. Do you happen to have a girl babysitting for you?"

"That's an odd question, but no, I don't. I don't live with anyone who needs babysitting..." I answered. "Why do you ask?"

"Nothing. I just thought you might be a friend of a friend, by the same name." Jake sighed.

My suspicion lessened. "Oh alright." I smiled.

"Well, while we're here..." Jake smirked. "You wanna battle?"

I raised my brows at his request. I was actually hoping for a good battle, but I had remembered why came went out. "I can't, sorry. I came over here to get some things for a family member and I'll be heading back soon. Maybe some other time."

"Oh, alright." Jake began walking away from the building. "See you around, Ryan!" He crossed the street. A car sped by, and then he was out of sight.

This city is really diverse isn't it?

I shrugged and went over to the front desk inside. A man was sound asleep in a computer chair, snoring loudly.

"Hey! You know it's not efficient to sleep on the job!" I shouted, causing him to fall out of the chair.

"What the hell, kid? You don't have to yell." He snarled. "And what would you know about running a business?"

"A lot actually. One, your presentation is awful. You're the first thing people see when they walk in here, and seeing a guy making that big of a puddle of drool on his shirt that's covered in tears and unknown substances doesn't make me want to spend a single night here with a girl. Plus it smells like a Trubish nest in here, and I'd be okay with that if you were one, which you're not because you look offended. Two, you have almost no tenants. I can tell because out of the hundred keys hanging on that wall, two of them are missing." I slapped Pan's key on his desk. "Oh wait, make that one, because I'm here to collect the belongings of Panara. I could go on about your poor skills, but I'll let you figure it out on your own when you're out of business."

"I'm going to pretend I didn't hear most of that, okay?" The man scowled. "Panara's room is room number one-ten. She owes me a lot, so unless you came here looking to pay one hundred thousand Poke, you can't take anything out of there."

I smirked, took a case bearing that exact amount out of a jacket pocket and presented it to him. He stood there, mouth agape, and took the coins out of the case.

"Judging by your look you've never seen so much money before, and that's not even a lot! While you're sitting there drooling over that, I'll be on my way."

I left him alone and ran up the stairs and quickly found Pan's door. It was unlocked I pushed it open, letting it slowly reveal Pan's room. A small desk lamp was flickering next to her tiny twin bed. The room bore a lime green carpet, and an old brown dresser. A tiny square mirror was hanging from loose nails on the wall, next to a door to her shower that was practically swinging on its hinges.

"I bet she's glad to be moving out of here." I said to myself. Sitting down on the bed, I materialized a large cardboard box and lay it on the floor in front of me. "Alright, let's see what I can fill you up with."

----

Cristina sprang up from her bed, breathing heavily in a cold sweat. Pan ran swiftly up the stairs to check on her. She locked her eyes on Cristina's wide open and fearful eyes.

"Cristina, what happened?" Pan asked. She tried walking toward her, but with each step Cristina backed away from her.

"You're here... Wh- where's Ryan?" Cristina shivered.

"He went to move some things from my old apartment; I'm living with you guys now." Pan told her. "Did you have a bad dream?"

Cristina allowed herself to relax a bit and she let Pan sit beside her on the bed. "Yeah, I did."Cristina breathed. "Your name's Panara, right?"

"Yeah, it is. You can call me Pan if you want." Pan answered. "Ryan told me that you're Cristina. You have a really pretty name. I'm sorta jealous."

"Thank you, Pan. I'm sorry I scared you."

"That's dream, was it about me?" Pan asked. "Ryan told me about how you felt about me."

"It was about you, but... It wasn't all bad. We were having fun together, laughing and playing. Then all of a sudden, this boy appeared and attacked us.." Cristina said. "Its probably nothing. If you must know, I don't feel like you're an enemy anymore. I'm sure of it."

"That's awesome to hear, little sis." Pan smiled. "Hey, you look a lot like me when I was thirteen. Heh, you're like a splitting image, only I let my hair fall naturally and not slicked back like that."

"It's funny you mentioned that because I was going to wear it down starting tomorrow!" Cristina and Pan laughed together. "Pan... Can I hug you?"

"Aw, Cristina, we're sister aren't we? You don't have to ask." Pan smiled and welcomed Cristina's embrace with open arms.

"So, when am I gonna get to meet Jason?" Pan asked.

"He should be upstairs in the kitchen. He's really careful not to make noise around me when I'm asleep." Cristina chuckled. "It's like he thinks I'll bite him or something."

"Can you blame him? I mean, have you seen Ryan's teeth? If yours are anything like his, then he should be scared of getting bitten!" Pan exclaimed. "How about we take a look? Smile for me." Cristina obeyed and flashed a grin at her. "Hah, you've got little baby teeth!"

"I do not!" Cristina said loudly. "Jason's teeth are actual baby teeth.

"I'm just teasing, silly, calm down." Pan reassured her. "My teeth used to be all crooked and a lot less pretty than yours are a lot prettier than mine were."

"Okay, but don't get angry if I grow to be cuter than you too."

"Don't challenge me, little girl. I've got the power of space at my disposal!" Pan growled playfully.

"Alright, remind me not to get on your bad side... And vise versa!" Cristina laughed and leaned on Pan's shoulders.

"Duly noted, little sis." She sighed. "This is nice, Cristina. Having a family for the first time."

"Are you sure you're not me from the future, because I said those exact words when Ryan found me." Cristina asked.

"Heh, no, I'm definitely not. I think it's fascinating that are family is spread across the entire world. I wonder who our parents are..." Pan said looking staring into Cristina's eyes.

"Well, you're not gonna find the answer in my eyes, I'll tell you that much." Cristina had noticed her staring. "I find it easier not to think about it. I doubt finding our parents would change a thing in our lives. We do have Ryan after all. He's taken care of me from day one and Jason since he was a baby as far as I know. We owe him our lives, because he's brave enough to bring together a family separated by time. All that matters is that we're together."

"Does superior intellect at a young age run in the family or something? Because what you just said blew me away?"

Cristina giggled. "I wouldn't be surprised if it did."

The two of them heard the door open downstairs as I returned and raced to see me.

"Hey, Ryan!" Pan beamed. "I thought you'd be still be out enjoying the night."

"Eh, I got bored." I sighed. "Plus it got windy." I handed the box to Pan. "You made it seem like you had so much stuff in there. I got all you clothes neatly folded in there. You did only have clothes there, right?"

"Y-Yeah, nothing but clothes." Pan blinked.

"Hey, Cristina. Did you sleep well." I asked facing her.

"Well, I did have a bad dream, but Pan was here to comfort me, so I'm alright." She smiled.

"Awesome! Glad you two got acquainted. Did you get to meet Jason as well, Pan?"

"Nah, I wanted to wait until he had his rest." She answered. "According to Cristina, he's out like a Snorlax."

"Okay then. I'll be outside if you need anything." I nodded.

"Sure thing, Ryan. Oh, by the way, I helped myself to one of unused laptops." Pan said, looking nervous. "I hope you don't mind."

"That's okay. It's yours. Help yourself to anything of ours." I left them to themselves to go upstairs.

"What's the matter, Pan?" Cristina asked, tugging on her shirt. "You tensed up when he gave you that box."

"I find it odd that Ryan had no problem packing my clothes and folding them for me. Most guys would either do it for the thrill of touching a girls clothes, or not do it at all because of their modesty."

"That's it? Really, Pan, you crack me up. Ryan's the one who bought me this outfit." Cristina said, twirling on her heels to show her. "It's like you get of kick out of thinking about that"

"Don't be silly. You couldn't possibly know what I think. You're just a kid!" Pan blushed.

"Don't play that game with me." Cristina smirked. "Superior intellect, remember?"

"Ugh, damn you..."

"Hey, I don't judge. It's not like there's anything wrong with loving your brother. I say go for it. Just don't cry if you're denied, because if he doesn't feel the same way, it's for a good reason."

"That's a relief... I think." Pan nodded.

"Don't think about it too much." Cristina patted Pan's back. "Right now, get settled. After your needs are satisfied, then pursue what you want the most."

----

Jake stared at his computer screen in awe. He was doing research on me...

"Ryan Zekrom Sparker. Age: 18, Occupation: Unknown. Presumably Pokemon Trainer. Parents: None. Species Class: TRIPLE LEGENDARY?" Jake screamed, causing him to fall backwards in his chair. He quickly straightened himself and returned to gawking at the screen. "Primary Pokemon: Zekrom. Secondary Pokemon Giratina and Arceus... I've heard of people being more than one species in the same body, but this guy is three Legends!"

Jake shut off the computer and scratched his head. "Wait a minute... He said he was at the hotel the get things for a family member... The only people who live there are Pan and Flannery." Jake gasped. "Oh crap. Pan is related to him! She told me that she had no family. She lied to me!" Jake yelled and kicked his chair into the only window in the dark room. "Something's gotta be done about this..."

----

I looked out the window, the sun was just beginning to show, and yawned.

"You tired Ryan?" Cristina asked me.

"Yeah, I was working on the house all night." I shrugged. 

"Wow. Must have been hard work to make you complain."

"I wasn't complaining, silly. I got a lot of things done with the circuits, so the lights won't shine too brightly and such." I smiled. "I usually sleep during the day."

I turned around and saw Jason laying on her bed next to her.

"Is the sun up yet?" He asked.

"Almost, Jason." I answered. "What's up with you and the sun?"

"Reshiram owns that thing. It's his like his job or something." Jason said, groggily. "I met Pan already so you don't have to ask. When I fell out of my seat in the kitchen she helped me up."

"Well, maybe you should sleep in bed more often." Cristina gigged.

"What? You must be crazy. Reshiram doesn't want to be vulnerable because of darkness."

"You and Reshiram are the same person, Jason. You don't have to act like you're separate." I told him.

"Whatever you say, Ryan." Jason groaned and rolled off of the bed. Cristina and I burst out in laughter. "Ugh, I meant to do that, you know, so I could wake myself up."

"I believe you." I chuckled. "If you're wondering where Pan is, she's downstair watching tv."

"I'll be sure to greet her before I leave." Jason sprang up from the floor and shook his head.

"Where are you going?" Cristina asked.

"To take a shower." Jason arched a brow at her.

"No, I mean where are you going out to?"

"Somewhere, Cristina, just somewhere." He answered, clearly avoiding her question.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
317 Reviews


Points: 20
Reviews: 317

Donate
Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:14 am
lostthought wrote a review...



Hey there! Here to review!

Nitpicks

Spoiler! :
I had remembered why came went out.

This makes no sense to me. Maybe you can fix it?

That's dream

That is dream?

we're sisters aren't we?


actual baby teeth.

You forgot the end quotation marks here.

that are family is spread

Don't you mean our family?


Ryan didn't get suspicious of Jake, so why is he spying on him? Maybe he harbors a secret suspicion. Ryan is very special, I can tell by only reading this. I'm curious about Pan. Why was she living alone when she could've lived with Ryan?

Oh well, keep writing!

-lost




User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:11 am
Hannah wrote a review...



I'm here, dark! I'm here! And here right on time! Haha~

My suspicion lessened. "Oh alright." I smiled.


What? What!?! Ryan is the guy who like ALWAYS knows what's going on and what people's real feelings are, but all of a sudden he trusts the word of this kid? I mean, I know Jake hasn't given Ryan a reason to feel suspicious, but the reader is over here like yelling "HEY NO he is being creepy and strange and wants something!", so it almost kind of breaks Ryan's character to have him be so accepting. Or at least that's what it feels like to me. haha

"Its probably nothing. If you must know, I don't feel like you're an enemy anymore. I'm sure of it."


Hmm? I'd like to see the reason that Cristina suddenly trusts Pan. The reader kind of felt mistrustful along with Cristina, but to have her so suddenly change her mind with no reasoning we can follow, we kind of feel left in the dirt. If you give us a reason, we can decide whether we agree with her and trust Pan or disagree and continue to mistrust her.

He was doing research on me...


See? This is strange. Earlier Ryan was like "not so suspicious now", but somehow he can also see Jake doing research and still isn't suspicious? This style of narration gets you into those little traps.

Oooh, and yes I do wonder where Jason is going so I'll be tuning in for the next chapter.

I hope that we soon figure out what SOMEBODY'S plan is. It suddenly feels like we have no idea what any of these characters want, like we're cut off from all of them, and that's very strange in a story where we often knew at least one side's plan.

Anyways, I hope these thoughts are helpful to you as you continue writing. I'll try to keep on track, but you should feel free to post on my wall whenever you publish a new chapter, okay? I'll keep following you since I've started this journey, heh~

PM me or reply here if you have any questions / comments about my review, as always.

Good luck and keep writing!

This review courtesy of
Image




User avatar
213 Reviews


Points: 150
Reviews: 213

Donate
Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:04 pm
View Likes
dark says...



What's Jason got to hide? He is just going out, right? RIGHT?





"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon."
— Paul Brandt