War Prayer

by cpedro

Cold steel rips flesh apart,         
Blood spills in these unknown hills,         
The eerie screams trigger dreadful chills,  
And the white flag marks the lost wills

Mere pawns to a world that worships war
Still they fight for what they adore

I call upon you, beloved Ishtar
Watch over these despaired men
And lend your strength to them

Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:39 pm
rubykae wrote a review...

Hello, Ruby here to review another one of your poems, and again this is really good.

Overall, I like this piece. I'm not a big fan of war anything, just because guns and fighting and all that isn't for me. This presented such a horrible thing in a weirdly beautiful way, which is out of the box and hard to do sometimes. The first line hits like a punch, "Cold steel rips flesh apart,". Obviously you're talking about firing a gun and having that cause damage but wow, what a way to put it. I like that the steel is cold, a word that when used to describe a person can mean merciless, just like a war. Placing the setting into any 'unknown hill' is powerful, because it could be assumed these horrible actions are taking place anywhere in the world. The horrible war is not confined to a certain place. The thought of hearing an 'eerie scream' almost sent a chill down my own back.

The second stanza is again very generalized, giving it power. There is not a specific force adhering the war, it is just the world, which would mean of course anyone could become a pawn. You shine a light on the fact that many people are unaware that they are simply a pawn and many people fight for their own reasons. Such a deep thought in so few words!

I like that the third paragraph is less focused on war and calls on the strength that these people must have to fight. Using the word "despaired" to describe the men fighting is great, it made me feel great empathy for them and also wish to lend strength.

A great piece, I look forward to reading more from you!

cpedro says...

Hello rubykae, thank you again for reviewing and the support! :D

Once again you can decipher my poems so easily, it makes me really happy!
I just want to add that the fact I did not focus on any specific war is because I wanted to focus on the men who fought, regardless of which side they fought. I wanted the reader to see how pointless wars are and that the only thing they leave behind are broken and despaired men.

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:56 pm
PancakeandWaffle wrote a review...

Wow, this is awesome! I love how it's descriptive with so few words and not trying to cram all the information on you with no time to really understand or enjoy it. I could really see what was happening in my imagination. The pain, the fear, the sorrow, and the sympathy to the men are crystal clear and that's what people like to see, a story unfolding before them that captures their imagination and you did just that.The structure was unusual, going from four lines to two to three, but it can be over looked since you had it that way so the words would match up and rhyme without using pointless filler sentences, plus it's your own style. This is all just my opinion but do what you do and have fun with it. If this was from a few years ago then you must be really good now, I'd love to see more from you!

Pancake~

cpedro says...

Hello pancake, thank you a lot for reviewing my poem, I really appreciate it! Unfortunately I'm still very fresh at poetry and this one only has a year or so because I prefer to write novels. But I definitely want to improve in poetry!

Well I hope you accomplish your goal. Have a good day!
Pancake~

cpedro says...

Thanks a lot. :D
Have a good day too!

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:49 pm
felistia wrote a review...

Hi cpedro, Felistia here with another review on your poetry.
I like the overall poem. It tells the story of war well, though you could expand it if you wanted to. The description is done very well and gives me a full picture.

I do have a nit-pick though. The rhyming in here feels very forced and takes away from the overall poem. I think it would be better with out the rhymes. Did you mean to say reaps in the first line, because it doesn't feel like the right word to put there, maybe slices or rips.

Overall ( I need to stop saying overall) I really liked it and the story you wove into the words. I look forward to more of your work and hope you have a great day\night.

cpedro says...

Hello felistia,
The reason why I didn't expand the poem it's because it is suppose to be a prayer, something they would pray or even chant before going to battle.

About the reaps maybe you are right because back then I made the comparasion with portuguese and the word reap translated to portuguese does mean to rip so thanks for that note and I'll edit it.

Thanks for reviewing and I'll be more carefull next time with rhyming :D

Adventure is worthwhile.
— Aesop