z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Window of Opportunity

by Valkyria



Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
105 Reviews


Points: 10130
Reviews: 105

Donate
Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:33 pm
View Likes
alpacaboss wrote a review...



Hi, here to leave a superrr short review!

I really like this poem. It's an accurate depiction of how great dads sacrifice so much for us just because they love us and want to see us succeed. Sometimes, they can be a bit tough, but that push is all we need to be better. I remembered my dad with this poem, because he does the same thing for me.

Overall, this is a wonderful poem! It shows how much a person (in this case our dads) can have an effect on our growth and improvement.

This is alpacaboss, signing off




User avatar
211 Reviews


Points: 22958
Reviews: 211

Donate
Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:40 pm
View Likes
OrabellaAvenue wrote a review...



Hello! This is a random weirdo here to review.

It's so sweet that you made a poem for your dad for father's day! (I still gotta do that...) Overall, this was a very interesting (but sadly short) poem! Only thing I should mention is I'm not sure where this takes place? (Unless it's metaphorical or intentionally vague on where this is, could you tell me?)

Anyway, on with the review!

The window of opportunity was wide enough, but
I was too far away to see the view.

What's an expression for fear?


Often in poems, the narrator will directly tell the reader that they're afraid. But you find a way around it, instead asking for an expression for fear, which I think is very clever.

His tall shadow enveloped me from behind. Calloused
hands squeezed my shoulders.
Eat more, he said. Be as strong as your heart, as quick as your brain.
He pushed me toward the window of opportunity.

I am my own worst enemy.


A very kind father trying to help his child. Precious. I wonder what the last line of this quote means? What did they do to make themself think that?

Fear the parasite infecting your courage. Take this opportunity and make your future.

My toes touch the edge. I grip the sides, fingers burning white.
But my strong, silent father stands firm. His eyes
hold the fire of a thousand suns.


I love the description! Especially about the father. It's heartwarming. <3

He's one of my biggest supporters. He wants to best for me.
I step off.


And that brings us to the loving end! I love how you separate "I am my own worst enemy," and, "What's an expression for fear?" and "I step off,"; it makes them more powerful.

Thanks for writing this! If you read it to your dad, he's sure to love it!

Keep writing!

Image




Valkyria says...


Thank you so much for your review! Honestly, I never really thought about the place when writing this. Specifically, I wrote this about a job I got but was hesitant about taking. I tend to have a lot of self doubt, but my dad pushed me to accept because this was the best opportunity for me. So I guess the place is between a metaphor and intentionally vague lol. I%u2019m glad you enjoyed it!





Oh cool! (I have a lot of self doubt too, and I almost always second guess my second guesses.) It's so nice that you're dad helped you.



User avatar
240 Reviews


Points: 16328
Reviews: 240

Donate
Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:52 am
AkuRashomon wrote a review...



Hello, this is Ina aka loveissourgrapes and I am here to give you a little review/comment about your poem. Happy Father's Day to your dad too c:

This poem tells me that father's always reassure their children. No matter how stubborn, and annoying their child could especially the coming of age ones. Because their children may think of themselves as a monster, a failure, but to a their father, they are a blessing, and the most loveable human being on earth.

My dad's not tall but he is a kind and supportive person. Over all, your poem was great. I love reading stuff that are relatable and about both parents or both. Have a nice day/night!




Valkyria says...


Thanks for the review! Happy Father%u2019s Day to your dad as well!




People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.
— Albus Dumbledore