the lantern

by RippleGylf

it was old.

no one knew
how many years
it sat there,

the aged metal
now looked like
the vines
it was fashioned
to resemble.

nondescript,
it leaned against
the only wall
not made
out of glass.

the room was
odd like that,
overlooking
a backyard forest
on every side.

as long as
the sun was up,
the room was bright.

hence the name.

sun room.

of course,
this meant
any additional lighting
was meaningless.

it sat without
purpose,
save for
a stormy
afternoon
in want of
candles,

in want of
illumination,

in want of
light.

Que wrote a review...

Hi RippleGylf!

I really love the ideas behind this poem, about feeling useless because there's so much light already, but that the lantern is needed on dark and stormy nights. <3 It's so beautiful! I especially like the fact that you could tell without reading the title what is is all about.

Alright, so the reviewer below me mentioned that "its" needed to be capitalized, and I totally understand how in poetry, capitalization is up to the author based on your style. However, at the beginning of new stanzas and after a period, you have lowercase sometimes and capitals at other times. Whichever way you want it, I would suggest making it more uniform.

Nondescript,
it leaned against
the only wall
not made out of
glass.

I think the flow might be a little better if you take out "out"? It sounds better in my mind. Or else maybe you could put "out of" on the same line as "glass"? I think that could sound good too.

The room was
odd like that,
overlooking
a backyard forest
on every side.

I like the idea of a "backyard forest", but it sounds weird when you say that it's on every side. I can't think of a different way to phrase it, though.

it sat without
purpose,
save for
a stormy night
in want of
candles,

Alright, even though I love the message this gives, it doesn't quite work out. Any night would be dark, as you point out when you say that it's bright while the sun is up. So a stormy night wouldn't make much difference. It's just like saying someone randomly came into the sun room at night, no matter the weather, and had to light the lantern. And I think that takes a bit of the meaning out of it. Maybe you could say it was a stormy day? I'm not exactly sure what to do about that either.

Anyway, overall, I really liked this! Your imagery was really good, and I liked the way it flowed and focused in on light. :)

-Falco

RippleGylf says...

Thank you so much for reviewing my work! I've gone back and made a few changes based on what you said. A lot of the things that seem odd are probably because I have a mental image of the scene I'm describing, and you, as the reader, cannot see that image. I'm afraid I run into that problem often. I changed the 'stormy night' to a 'stormy afternoon'. Do you think it works better? The reasoning behind the original line is that I can't remember a single instance where we actually used the lantern when it was not stormy outside. There may have been an electric light in the room, and we only used it when we didn't have power. I'm guessing that's it. Thank you again for taking the time to review it, I really appreciate it. :D

thecolorofthesky wrote a review...

Hey there! thecolorofthesky here for a short review! Let's jump in!
Line I: This is short and simple, but I feel as if there is a stronger word than "old".
Stanza II:

its aged metal
now looked like
the vines
it was fashioned
to resemble.
First, the 'its' needs to be capitalized. Second, I can see so much potential in this stanza. Describe the oxidized green on the metal. Provide more details on the vines. Make this, as you say, "nondescript" lantern, a work of art. Show the hidden beauty that has been covered in dust and forgotten. It needs something special about it to juxtapose the uselessness of it. This, of course, is just a suggestion. The end of the poem leaves me wanting more. Some sort of footnote. Run with that.
I just wanted to comment on those few things. I like the poem!
Write on!

RippleGylf says...

Thank you for the review! I was experimenting and trying just to lowercase "it," but I guess it wasn't clear enough for the reader. I'll go back and fix it.

If you want to experiment, I would recommend either starting all lines with lower case or just using correct punctuation. It looked like a mistake because only one word wasn't capitalized.

RippleGylf says...

You're right, all lowercase works a lot better. Thanks again!

i don't need to search the stars to know myself
— soundofmind