If There's No End There Can Be No Beginning

by RavenBlack

I know this isn't good, I can tell something's missing or wrong with it but I can't see it. Help.

It was the year 2017 when the world went silent. Nothing could be said nor done that could ease the pain that had been inflicted. Tears fell from the heavens as news broke that Prince Henry, the eldest son of King Charles had died. He was shot in the head,many suspected anti monarchists but they were too honorable to commit such a nefarious crime...or were they?

His family towered over his coffin as it was lowered into the ground, they all wore death some more confidently than others. As the torrential rain slammed against his coffin, Elizabeth, Henry's sister couldn't stop crying. She was most affected by the sudden news. When her mother opened her arms to embrace her she backed away, denying herself comfort, believing that the pain was the only way she'd remember him. Henry was like a best friend to her, a rock to lean on and now she felt helpless and alone.

Unsurprisingly William, the youngest,showed no emotion. He shed no tears as he tosseda rose into the grave. King Charles glared at him and William did the same.

After the burial the royal family was escorted through the mourning crowd that lingered outside the church and into their black Bentley Mulsanne.

"You could have at least shed some tears in front of the cameras," the Queen moaned as she got into the car, her lips pursed and her voice high and elegant.

"Why? I'd be lying anyway,"

"William!" King Charles snapped.

"What! You think I'll miss him? Ha! Not after everything he did to me." The car fell silent. "I won't miss him at all."

***

The palace was still for the passing weeks. The King and Queen locked themselves in their room reminiscing over the photo album they made of Henry. They laughed as they looked at the picture when Henry was eight and covered in goo, a prank gone wrong and instead of his father he was the victim.

Elizabeth slept in Henry's room, clinging to the sheets and finding comfort in the fading smell of the citrus cologne he used to wear. He was always a fan of perfume.He usedto steal some of his mother's when he was little, and the memory brought a smile to her face.

But William was barely seen, he came back late at night and left early in the mornings. No one knew where he went and were too distraught by Henry's death to notice.

In the afternoon, the royal family went out on the balcony and greeted the crowd below. Thousands of excited hands waved at them, swaying their arms back and forth like wheat in the wind.

King Charles took hold of the mic and spoke to the crowd, assuring them that the death of Henry will be accounted for and that Britain will move past this. Little did he know, the stars were aligned against him.

On a distant roof a sniper was setting up their rifle, their attire was black and their face covered with a Guy Fawkes mask. Today wasn't November the 5th but there sure as hell would be a bonfire!

"...Britain isn't a country that runs and hides from assassins! We are a country that refuses to give in no matter how broken we are!" King Charles proclaimed and the crowd roared.

The sniper loaded the bullet into the rifle and took aim, their breath steady and their posture strong.

"Henry wouldn't want this nation to cripple because of his death, he would want us to recover from it and move forward into a new era!"

The sniper's finger hovered over the trigger, he didn't need a scope or laser to know the bullet would hit their target. "Goodbye and goodnight."

"We must-"

King Charles gagged as he staggered back and fell into Elizabeth's arms, he clung to his chest, his hands plastered with blood.

"Father!" she screamed and he touched her cheek wiping her tears away, painting her face with death before his arm gave up and dropped to the ground.

Her eyes widened in shock, he was deadbut she wasn't given enough time to come to the reality of it as she and her mother were hastily pulled back inside. They were escorted to the safe room in the basement where William was sitting reading a text message, when he saw them he quickly hid his phone.

"You!" Elizabeth shouted as she stormed inside. "You knew this would happen didn't you!"

"He had it coming."

Elizabeth's eyes popped, veins pulsed out of her neck, throbbing as if they'd burst. The guards saw her raise her hand at him and grabbed her arm, pulling her away.

"You bastard!" she shouted as they escorted her out of the room.

William wasn't offended by her insult.She was right.

***

Once again the palace became still, fear and anxiety to go outside haunted their minds all except one. William was still taking frequent trips outside, more than usual as of late. When he came back late one evening he was welcomed with the stench of death. Lying on the floor, cradled in Elizabeth's arms was his mother.

His eyes widened as he looked over the crime scene, the window had been smashed and his mother's head pierced with a bullet. He ran towards her, she was the onlyperson in the family he lovedeven though she was hesitant to show him affection in public.

"Mother!" he screamed. "No, no, no! It wasn't meant to happen like this!"

"You knew this would happen?" Elizabeth asked confused and angered.

William gave a blank stare. "Elizabeth I can explain-" he begged but Elizabeth had already called the guards and without hesitation they pinned him to the ground. He fought back but came to no avail, no matter how much he reminded them who he was and threatened their lives ifthey didn't stop.

"Put him in the cells!" she ordered and they dragged him to the basement.

They threw him in the cell and walked away feeling no guilt. His prison reminded him of the dungeons they had in the Elizabethan era: stone walls, cold cobbled floors and asmell that suggested that the cell hadn't been cleaned.

He sat down against the wall, closing his eyes he reminisced about the time when his family went to Spain for a vacation. They felt free as if they had no obligation, no restrictions. That was one of the rare moments when they all smiled.

His pleasant memory was interrupted by the rattling of keys; he looked at the door to see a servant opening the lock.

"What are you doing?" he asked confounded.

"Getting you out," she responded. "'A' sent me"

When she opened the door he got up and took the card she gave him. It read: Meet me at the usual place, we have much to discuss. A.

The woman gave him a long coat with a hood to disguise himself and tookhim to a secret exit, a hidden door in the wall. He took the hidden hallway and stole a motorcycle before making his way to their meeting place.

On his way there he saw a television presenter announce him as the murderer of his parents and Henry, those who saw the broadcast shouted in protest, claiming that they'd kill him if they saw him. William lowered his hood uneasily trying his best to seem anonymous.

He ventured to the alley up ahead, got of his motorcycle and stood in the square where the alley led to.

"A," he quietly called but no one responded.

Little did William know was that 'A' was here but not for the same reason he was. A sniper was posted on a roof above him, rifle aimed and loaded, their black attire concealing them with the night.

The perfect predator.

"Goodbye, and goodnight."

William collapsedlifelesslyinto a crimson pool, his eyes staring blankly into the open.The sniper climbed down from the roof and hovered over his corpse.

"Is it done?" a voice asked.

A hooded figure stepped out of the shadows and approached them, the sniper bowed.

"Yes, your majesty. But I must say, I'll miss our partnership."

Gloved hands rose, pushing back the dark hood. Elizabeth stood where the faceless shadow once was.

"Thenit's good that I have many enemies."

"Who are you?" Elizabeth asked. "I must at least know the name of my accomplice."

The sniper laughed. "I am merely a belief holding a gun at the non-believers."

Elizabeth smiled devilishly. "Then we have work to do."

The sniper bowed. "Yes, your majesty."

RoseTulipLily wrote a review...

happy review day. that being said, let's start this review, yes?

There are some errors here, but they do not really distract from the story. Still, I'll point some of them out so you can see what you got wrong.

"He was shot in the head,many suspected anti monarchists but they were too honorable to commit such a nefarious crime...or were they?" I think this should be instead said as "He was shot in the head. Many suspected *antimonarchists*, but they were too honorable to commit such a nefarious crime...or were they?"

"Unsurprisingly, William, the youngest, showed no emotion." Is the correct way to say this.

Hmm. I really could not find anything else to critique here. Your writing is solid and you know what you are doing. I like the suspense and the ending felt very well done. Keep writing

RavenBlack says...

Thanks for the review :-D

Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:39 pm
PrincessInk wrote a review...

Hello, and welcome to YWS. The first thing I thought about your story was it was mysterious, and had a surprise ending (yay!) but I felt as though too many were killed--this could be just a personal opinion.

His family towered over his coffin as it was lowered into the ground, they all wore death some more confidently than others.

I don't really understand this part, and also the mourning scene was okay. I couldn't really connect to the family's grief and that could have played a role in why it, simply put, wasn't so real. Mourning scenes are always hard to write, and I'm not so good at portraying crying people either.

In the royal palace, would the guards just throw him into a cell? I thought they were rather arrest him and put him into custody. That feels...off because it's 2017, you see. Never mind this if you did that on purpose.

It was a good way you were hinting that William was the bad guy here, when it was actually his sister. His sister seems so nice and all till she just orders William to the cell. I'm not particularly fond of William you see, but I don't like people just throwing others in dungeons.

I also interpreted the sniper as death.

This was kind of cryptic, but I guessed it was about death.

I liked the pacing and tension inside, but the mourning scene needs some work. If you have any more questions about this you want to ask me, feel free to ask :)

Princess Ink

RavenBlack says...

Thank for the review, this is my first time doing this and I thought I wouldn't get one!

I understand what you mean by keeping it modern, tbh i didn't really do research so I didn't know where they'd put traitors. I also agree with the mourning scene, after re-reading it I didn't feel an attachments to the characters other than Elizabeth.

The "His family towered over his coffin as it was lowered into the ground, they all wore death some more confidently than others." was meant to imply that they wore black and that someone embraced that more than others (Elizabeth) but writing that right now seems confusing.

"I am merely a belief holding a gun at the non-believers." was meant to illustrate the sniper's patriotism.

Do you think adding character description is needed? I didn't really describe what they looked like.

Thanks again for the review :-D

PrincessInk says...

I don't think character description is particularly important here. Maybe some important features could help, but other than that, because it's a short, it's not so important.

RavenBlack says...

Oh okay, thanks for the help :-)

"You, who have all the passion for life that I have not? You, who can love and hate with a violence impossible to me? Why you are as elemental as fire and wind and wild things..."
— Gone With the Wind