z

Young Writers Society


12+ Violence

Glorious Fantasy Ch.4: Out of the Forest

by MeatBunCat


I’ve been told that a common dream of a man is waking up with a woman in his arms. While I never understood the sentiment. I could understand the appeal for attention, something I didn’t have much of growing up. I woke up with black hair in my face, and curse wrapping herself around me like I was some sort of pillow. 

While I seemed to be covered up, hidden from the elements in a tent, I felt like it was her body warmth that I noticed most. Her hold strong enough that I couldn’t move anything but my head. Despite the restriction, it was a comfortable feeling, like I was wrapped in a gentle warmth. While I am not comfortable with the idea of being hugged on, I could easily fall back asleep in this embrace.

But I woke up for a...pressing reason.

“Curse?” I whisper. I try to move enough to wake her, under her surprisingly strong grip, I started flailing about.

It barely did anything at all...is one point in strength really that useless?

“Mmm?” Curse finally responded. “What’s the matter?”

“I...need to go.”

“Go? Go where?” She muttered, squeezing down on me a bit. Do bathrooms exist in this world? What phrase can I use?

“Well, I drank a lot, so.”

“Oh!” Curse finally let me go. “Go ahead, do you need me to come with you?”

“That’s okay.” I say, I quickly bolt from her grasp, slam into what I assume was a tent wall, and then fumble my way out of the opening.

Outside, the stars were bright, with the moon lighting up the forest beautifully, reminding me of a painting. The trees were lit ever so gently by the moon's light, and the waning camp fire gave everything nearby a soft orange glow. I glanced around at the campsite I had only vaguely focused on the day before and saw that there were only two tents, the one I just left, a dark grey, presumably for the girls, while the other, a dull brown, for the men.

“Oh, up so soon?” I let out a squeak of surprise when I heard Lore’s voice. I didn’t notice her, she was leaning on a tree, casually observing the camp. How did she hide herself with such bright orange hair? Ah! I need to focus.

“I just need to go do...a thing.” I mutter. I am starting to accept this body as mine, despite it only being a day, but every time I talk, that cute soft voice feels so wrong and alien to me. I’m afraid that at any moment, my male voice will break through, so I keep muttering.

“Oh? Well try not to draw any more beast dear,” She pointed behind me. “There should be enough cover over there without going too far.”

“Thank you.” I follow her advice, shuffling my way through the undergrowth until the light of the fire disappears and is replaced by the weak light of the stars. While at first, I struggle to see through the jungle, it all becomes a bit more clear, the colors simplifying to black and white, and sharpening enough that I could pick up details even without bright lights. When I finally stopped a few minutes had passed. It’s not that I was nervous about being seen but-

I’m a girl now.

I’ve never been embarrassed about relieving myself. But now I have parts I have never really seen in person. How do I even use them? I never really thought about it before. So I kept walking, and walking, ignoring the pressing weight that demanded my attention.

All the way until an heard a growl. Under my bundled nerves I let everything go with a scream, falling over as a dark shadow swooped over my head.

A bit too much…sob.

“Mist!” I hear Lore yell out to me, running in my direction, running she reached me within seconds, looking down at my wet state shortly after arriving.

“I-i-i-i...”

I don’t want to think about the rest.

Sob.

After a depressing series of events we finally reach a small village that Crux calls Longview. A small town with wooden walls so short that most of the buildings within reached well over. Despite that guards still stood near the gates. I kept tightening the replacement robe Quill gave me, hugging myself to hide as much of my shape as possible. I even forced all of my overflowing hair into the hood of the robe, and hid my head in it.

“The more nervous you act, the more they're going to pay attention to you, just breath a bit.” Crux said, pulling the hood back and patted me on the back. I know he has a point but I don’t want anyone to remember my face. I probably still smell like- Ugh.

"...c-calm down." I muttered as I steeled myself. I shift my clothes about me to seem more normal, and tried to relax my face.

By the time I was confident in myself, we were already at the gate.

“Are you already finished with the bounty? I figured it would take you a month.” I glanced over at a two men in full armor, solid metal with a fireball icon on their chest. I could hardly hear them through the metal face guard, one of the two started talking.

Wait! A bounty?

“We ran into armies of mad cats in there, so pretty easy picking. But we’re not actually done. We came across this little girl while we were out there, said she was part of some merchant caravan.” Stupid Crux, don’t draw attention to me! The armored guard and his partner looked over at me.

“Another lost kid? Your group practically draws them in like flies to honey.” The guard said, laughing.

After that they opened the gate and simply let us through.

“See?” Crux said, slapping me on the back after we were a few minutes of walking away.

“Act natural, and nothings going to happen,” How does one act natural? “If that doesn't work, I’m sure Curse will burn down the problem for you.” Crux laughed as we walked.

Weak.

I’m forced to rely on others.

I’m too weak.

I’m even afraid of a guard from a tiny little village.

I lose out to a freaking kitten!

I’m supposed to be a magic hero!

“I don’t want to.” I say, trying to look determined even though I wasn’t looking at anyone in particular.

“What?” Crux says, confused.

I turn and look at Curse. “Can you teach me magic?!”

“Well, you should be able to learn given what you...are. But I don’t know, magic is only useful for fighting, you know.”

“Exactly!” I shout, quickly covering my mouth, trying to calm myself down. They think I have a trauma, so maybe I can guilt them into helping me. “I don’t want to be helpless anymore.” I say, trying to keep my excited voice steady.

I’m not lying. So they should believe me. Curse lifted me up and started hugging me.

I think that’s a yes!

“Well...” Cruse started murmuring to herself. “It only cost one green silver to test for magic aptitude. So it should be fine.” Green silver? I’m guessing that’s part of this worlds currency.

“I’ll pay you back as soon as I can.” I say, I don’t want to leech off them too much. She shoves me into her chest in a tight hug.

“Nonsense,” She finally lets me breath after I start flailing about.

“Then...” I wanna go now. “Let’s go!”

“Now?” Lore voice. “You should at least get some new clothes first.”

“I don’t want to use up all of your money.” I say, adding on. “I want to learn magic as soon as I can, then I can buy my own clothes.”

“We have plenty of money, so you don’t have to worry about that.” Curse said.

Well I don’t want to shop either. That sounds boring. I could claim that I don’t know anything about fashion since I was ‘locked away’, but then they’ll probably try to teach me.

“Which way to the magic testing thing?” I ask, giving up on hiding my impatience.

“Ugh.” Curse looked at everyone. “Well, I guess me and Mist are going to go to the guild, send me a message when you find us a Inn.”

Magic!

Whatever divine force put me in this world, please let me learn it!

I can’t help but skip as I start following Curse through the crowd.

-----------------------

Authors note: #magicfordays

I'm not sure how well I am pacing all of this, but I'm gonna say this is good enough, and hope you all enjoy my story!


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:59 pm
View Likes
Carlito wrote a review...



Hello again! Finally back for more :D

I woke up with black hair in my face, and curse wrapping herself around me like I was some sort of pillow.

Loved the voice in this opening paragraph, good inner monologue to start us off! "curse" should be capitalized. That's a name, right?

While I seemed to be covered up, hidden from the elements in a tent, I felt like it was her body warmth that I noticed most.

I only point this out because I'm going through this process in my own novel as well - you don't know "I felt like" (I felt like it...), you could just say "I noticed her body warmth the most". It's more concise and it has more power. I felt/saw/heard/etc. distance the reader. This is my favorite YWS article right now and has much more information :)

While I am not comfortable with the idea of being hugged on, I could easily fall back asleep in this embrace.

I love this whole opening and the internal monologue about his feelings. I spy a romance brewing and I feel like these little thoughts are going to become a thing and maybe cause some problems (or maybe not) at some point ;)

When I finally stopped a few minutes had passed.

I'm not sure you need this. The descriptions are nice and vivid so far and I'm feeling the scenery. I don't think you need this as a transition, I think you could go right from those pretty descriptions to the nerves about being seen and being a girl. Lines like this tend to stand out for me because these characters don't have a way to know the time other than the sun, and that's not going to give you much indication that a few minutes had passed. The character can assume but not know because they have no real way of keeping time. You know? I've talked about this way too much, moving on :p

I’ve never been embarrassed about relieving myself. But now I have parts I have never really seen in person. How do I even use them? I never really thought about it before. So I kept walking, and walking, ignoring the pressing weight that demanded my attention.

I'm really glad you brought this up. The gender stuff is one aspect of the story that makes it interesting, and I'm glad you're showing the character struggling with this change in gender. Going to the bathroom may seem like a simple, trivial thing, but it's really not. Going to the bathroom outside when you're a girl requires some serious thought :p

All the way until an heard a growl.

This sentence is a fragment and the wording is confusing to me. You need a subject, and then read it out loud.

Under my bundled nerves I let everything go with a scream, falling over as a dark shadow swooped over my head.

Is it bad that I'm laughing? Why does everything have to keep happening to her? :p I know she's new to the world, but man!

“Mist!” I hear Lore yell out to me, running in my direction, running she reached me within seconds, looking down at my wet state shortly after arriving.

Mist is on the ground, how does she know Lore is running towards her? I think this could all be simplified - "Lore yells out to me. She reaches me within seconds and looks down at my wet state." All of the same information, way less words.

After a depressing series of events we finally reach a small village that Crux calls Longview.

Whoa, whoa, whoa slow down. So what happens when Lore reaches Mist? What was the dark shadow? Does Mist somehow clean herself up or does she have to walk around in pee clothes forever? What do the others say/do? And what are these "depressing series of events"? If you want to get to the village sooner, I would show a little bit more once Lore reaches Mist to finish out that scene, and then do a scene break and start when they arrive in Longview.

A small town with wooden walls so short that most of the buildings within reached well over.

This is a fragment, combine it with the sentence about arriving in Longview.

Despite that guards still stood near the gates.

Comma after "that" because it's a preposition.

just breath a bit.”

"breathe" not "breath"

Crux said, pulling the hood back and patted me on the back.

You switched tenses here - "patting" instead of "patted"

I know he has a point but I don’t want anyone to remember my face. I probably still smell like- Ugh.

Does she not want people to remember her face because she might smell like pee, or is it because she's an Alvear, or both?

"...c-calm down." I muttered as I steeled myself. I shift my clothes about me to seem more normal, and tried to relax my face.

You switch tenses here too. There's a lot of tense switching in general, which is easy to do! I know I do it too all of the time. And, it can be hard to catch because our brains read so quickly and don't always pick up on little things like verb tenses. One way you might be able to catch it is putting the document in a different size/font than you usually write so it looks different on the page (it sounds weird, but it actually does help you pick up more stuff) and read it slowly that way.

“Are you already finished with the bounty? I figured it would take you a month.” I glanced over at a two men in full armor, solid metal with a fireball icon on their chest.

Who says this line? With the action that comes after, it sounds like Mist is saying it because she's looking at two men after the line. But, it could also be the two men saying it.

“Act natural, and nothings going to happen,” How does one act natural? “If that doesn't work, I’m sure Curse will burn down the problem for you.” Crux laughed as we walked.

Split this up a little bit. Putting Mist's thoughts/actions/feelings/etc in with someone else's dialogue makes it a little confusing. I would split it into multiple lines.

I turn and look at Curse. “Can you teach me magic?!”

Where is this coming from? It feels very out of the blue. You gave some of her thoughts before this, but I would like more of that yummy internal monologue you had earlier to show her full though process about why she feels she needs to learn magic. Why does she think that will help her? Why does she feel Curse will be able to help her? Why Curse and not one of the others?

They think I have a trauma,

I'm a little confused about what she means by this.

Well I don’t want to shop either. That sounds boring. I could claim that I don’t know anything about fashion since I was ‘locked away’, but then they’ll probably try to teach me.

I thought she said she wanted to buy some new clothes once they reached the town because her clothes are tattered or something. And I would think she would want to buy some clothes because hers currently smell of pee.... I get that she's eager to learn magic, but it won't take that long to find some new things.

“Which way to the magic testing thing?” I ask, giving up on hiding my impatience.

She's going to do magic testing before she learns any magic? Or does this simply test whether she'll be able to do magic?


Overall, I liked the chapter! I like that we're slowly learning about the world and you're slowly showing us things. I also appreciated that there weren't any near-death experiences in this chapter and things slowed down a little bit :p

Character wise, I don't feel like I really know any of the characters yet. Curse seems fun, Mist seems scared by everything, and that's all I got :p I thought this was a nice chapter though for some character development and I was glad to see some conversations and quieter moments with the characters because that's what will help me get to know them.

Execution wise, I mentioned this earlier in my comments, but the only thing I would like more of is transitions and slowing down at transitions and decision making times. I'm thinking of when they went to the town and at the end when Mist decided she wanted to learn magic at this exact second. Other than that, I think your writing is pretty strong and you have some great descriptions! I'm still very intrigued by this story :D

I'll leave things there for now, but let me know if you have any questions or if you want feedback about something I didn't already mention. And let me know if you'd like me to keep reading! :D




MeatBunCat says...


Thanks for pointing out the tense switching, I wanna stick to present tense, but I keep mistakenly switching.

Does she not want people to remember her face because she might smell like pee, or is it because she's an Alvear, or both?

Half-Alvear are basically humans with longer ears, hers fully covered by her hair. I dunno about you but I don't want anyone remembering my face when I smell bad. So I wrote it like that.


Who says this line? With the action that comes after, it sounds like Mist is saying it because she's looking at two men after the line. But, it could also be the two men saying it.

Agh, I forgot to write down that one of the two guard dudes said that.

Why Curse and not one of the others?

I'll think about more of the thought process, but as for why Curse, its because out of quill and curse, the two mages, Curse is the one mist has been getting along with.

I'm a little confused about what she means by this.

Mist gave the four the impression that she's an escaped slave who had lived most of her life locked up in a room. Which Mist used to her advantage occasionally when she wants to know something or do something for the last chapter, this one, and will for many more after this.

Or does this simply test whether she'll be able to do magic?

Testing to see if she can do magic, and what type. Thank you for pointing that out, I never fully explain it later either, so I'll remember to write something in to explain it around here when I start the mass editing.

Thank you once again for your detailed suggestions and thoughts! I am happy to hear you like my story, and would love for more if you wanna keep going~

:D



Carlito says...


Awesome! Glad it was helpful :D

I assumed why she didn't want anyone to see her face was because of the stench, but I just wanted to clarify that her being an Alvear wasn't part of it too.

I have a couple of other stories to get started on but then I'll come back around to this one :D



MeatBunCat says...


Ah, since your reviewing a bunch, do you have any suggestions? Good novels that don't have many reviews?



Carlito says...


Next on my list is Quest for Fire by Felistia. I've read it before and they recently edited and posted a bunch of the new version. It's fantasy and is about dragons! I know a lot of it is still in the green room :)



User avatar
176 Reviews


Points: 1983
Reviews: 176

Donate
Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:26 pm
View Likes
sheysse wrote a review...



Shey here to review!

Nice story you've got going here! I read the first two, but admittedly skimmed through the third. However, I understand the idea. And it's pretty awesome!

I sense a similarity to anime like SAO, Log Horizon, and Ixion Saga. Whether or not this was intentional, I'll probably always see the similarity. (If it wasn't and you haven't seen those anime, drop everything and watch them now. You'll love them.)

I really like the humor in this... It makes me laugh out loud, something few stories can do. Now everyone in my house is looking at me funny... No, but really, keep up the humor. It's what makes these so enjoyable.

I think my favorite part of this is the character's changes, though. The switch in gender, emotion, and ability to protect themself. While it isn't relatable (since I've never been turned into an overly emotional female before), it's understandable... If that makes sense.

He or she seems realistic. The reactions are normal, and for a fictional story about giant kitten beasts, normal reactions are impressive.

I think if you want this story to remain creative and enjoyable, you need to do two things; First, keep the humor, because it's really good. Don't drop it when the plot becomes more intense, or it'd be a shame. And second, keep the realistic character. I really think those are how you'll keep this story awesome.

Bravo! I think I'll just go over to the next chapter now... Adieu!

-Sheyren




MeatBunCat says...


I love Log Horizon, but have not read the others. However this story is inspired from the gen-swap stuff I occasionally binge read, many had someone dragged to another world, so close.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Happy to know you enjoyed, and I hope you keep enjoying it!



User avatar
264 Reviews


Points: 23295
Reviews: 264

Donate
Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:21 am
View Likes
Megrim wrote a review...



This is an excellent next step for the story: it's much more human and personal than running from monsters and fighting with fantasy-world powers. It gets back to the elephant in the room--the MC isn't accustomed to being a girl. I think you could explore this even more than you have. Maybe read some accounts from trans people, about what it's like feeling trapped in the wrong sex. I'm sure there's soooo much he/she never thought about before that's going to be influencing them, beyond the voice.

It's a cute, funny scene with them needing to get up to go to the bathroom. I'm wondering if they are still attracted to women? (Unless he is gay IRL, in which case, still attracted to men?) It might influence what he thinks of being wrapped up in Curse's arms, or being in the girl's tent. Sixteen year old boys *are* pretty hormonal, after all :P

The transition to being in the village felt really abrupt. One moment it was dark and quiet and we were dealing with personal character issues, and then BOOM they're at a village and talking to guards. I think you could slow this down, show more about the transition. It feels a bit like you wrote the part you were excited about, then didn't have any more ideas so cut to the next scene. Give me a bit more about their travels, and the interactions between the characters.

I like the MC wanting to learn magic. I'm suspicious they might have already started using it a bit, since they were able to kind of "defy gravity" with their agility. I think it will just take a deeper understanding and then they will be able to master it and use it with intent. I bet we'll see that coming up in the next chapters!

Good luck and happy writing!




MeatBunCat says...


I'm sure there's soooo much he/she never thought about before that's going to be influencing them, beyond the voice.

Yeah, I've been annoying boys to see what sorts of things they never think about. Asking a few trans might give me some more ideas to work with. Thank you for the idea!

Sixteen year old boys *are* pretty hormonal, after all

He was straight, and was quite confident in his masculinity. Just he's still distracted by the whole new body. I'm planning to have some fun with his sexuality confusion later. :P

Give me a bit more about their travels, and the interactions between the characters.

The pacing worry I had was about that. There wasn't much other then character building that could be done in the forest, and I could handle all of that in the village. In the village, I could get more of the story going and keep filling out the characters and world.



MeatBunCat says...


OH! If you've like I could send you an @ when I post new chapters.




shady and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws
— Tuckster