E - Everyone Mature Content

Life: Spider Web

by Liberty500

Life

Life is too unfair,
But you have to fly through it.
Or else you'll be stuck.

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:35 am
Casanova wrote a review...

Heya Liberty, Casanova here to do a review for you.

Alright, to start off with I'd like to say although that this is a fairly simple haiku that I do enjoy it, because it's the truth, but here's a couple of thoughts on it.

Basically the only three things you've incorporated are

-Unfairness
-flying
-being stuck

Now these three things aren't bad, but in the format you have them in I think that you could do better at bumping them up, creating a better atmosphere. Now, me, myself, I'm terrible at haiku's(i'm terrible at doing any sort of poem with restrictions) but I do think that you could amp this up with a lot of practice and looking through it.

Another thing, as for aesthetic, is that you use punctuation at the end of both of the starting lines, but there is no ending punctuation mark for the final line.

And the last thing that was on my mind is simply- you don't have to use a capitol letter every time you start a new line in poetry- this is not prose. You only have to use a capitol letter- whenever it's appropriate for you. I have several poems that don't use capitol letters at all- that's my style.

But anyway all in all this was a good haiku and thank you for sharing.

Cas

Liberty500 says...

Thanks very much for the review. I'm done the fixing up that punctuation thing at the end. Tell me what you think. Also, the capital letter thing, it's my style, ya know? If I see something that's not capitalized or is not properly punctuated, I get seriously annoyed and pissed. But I do know that it's the way most people write their poems and I'm cool with it. :D Thanks again!

Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:47 am
Caitlynn wrote a review...

A very simple poem, explained so well in so few words. However the words you wrote here do ring true, you used simple words, constructing a very nice, and yet meaningful haiku. A small suggestion is moving or changing the period on the second line, maybe to an common, or removing it, and maybe you can rephrase the first sentence, so it doesn't sound too awkward when spoken out loud.

Liberty500 says...

Okay! Thank you very much! :)

Liberty500 says...

I've been thinking of a way of how I could change the first line, but, nothing has come to my mind, unfortunately. :(

Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:06 am
AmadeusW says...

Good job!

Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:43 am

Hi Liberty, first off, welcome to Young Writers Society. I hope you're enjoying the site so far! Feel free to reach out if you need help navigating the site.

So on to the review!

First off, I'd say this is a fairly simple haiku and you did a nice job being able to fit a narrative, a bit of imagery, and even a moral into one little poem. I didn't see any issues with the syllables.

I think you used fairly good word-economy (which is really important in short poems) with the exception of using the word "too" in line 1. I wonder if you could portray the same concept with different words. "Too unfair" just doesn't portray anything exceptionally more meaningful than just plain "unfair", and the phrasing is a bit awkward.

Another critique is I would change the title from "My first Haiku poem..." to "Life: A spider web" or even "Life, A Haiku Poem" - putting words like "my first" or "draft" in the title rarely gets readers interested in my experience. And finally, I don't think the use of "ellipses" or "..." at the end of the poem is necessary - I tend to think that ellipses looks a bit sloppy unless it's used to convey lowering volume in dialogue. It's like throwing the phrase "etc." or "ya know" at the end of a speech - rather than adding content, it makes me question whatever came before because it looks as if the author is second-guessing what they're saying. I guess I'd just suggest doing a full-stop period, as it's a bit more professional, and seems to fit with the meaning more. Unless you're trying to convey something with the ellipses that I missed.

Overall, quite a good a haiku, and even a bit funny, with the image of getting stuck in a spider web.

Well done, I look forward to reading some more poetry from you in the future!

~alliyah

Also if you love writing haiku's here are some haiku activities on the site you might be interested in participating in!
* Haiku Train Write a Haiku, using the last entry's 3rd line as your 1st line.
* Haiku Battle! Battle it out, but through using the art of haiku! :)

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:52 am
BooksCatsAndTea wrote a review...

This is really cool, it reminds me of a butterfly in a spiderweb, if that makes any sense, very elegant. One thing I'd suggest is removing you three dots at the end and replacing it with a period. It may make your final line more powerful, its good to have that "Pow!" to end your poem. Another small thing that could be changed, though this is just a suggestion, is changing the period at the end of the second line to a comma, or just removing it altogether, so it flows more smoothly when read aloud.

Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:44 pm
Liberty500 says...

If anyone has any feedback or corrections, please do tell me!

To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.
— Allen Ginsberg