z

Young Writers Society



The Secret of Tayburn Zoo: 28

by ExOmelas


The desktop monitor squeaked as Chip tried to wrestle it around so that it didn't face the light anymore. He and Captain Barrett had taken a test photograph with the webcam and realised that their faces were entirely in shadow because of the sharp contrast, but the monitor's wires disappeared through a hole in the desk with very little slack. As a result, getting it to turn around had been almost impossible.

"Good work," Barrett said, readjusting his wrinkled white shirt. "Let's see if we can get the application to work now."

Chip tapped the screen, but gulped as he realised that this was not an iPad, and he had to use the mouse. Patrick had chosen to give the animals tablets rather than having communal computers - apparently Holly and Scott fought over their shared electronics in a way that would just not be conducive to the strong sense of team spirit needed for the zoo's acts. Chip sighed, shoved the memory of Patrick and his grandchildren out of his mind, and took hold of the mouse.

He clicked on the installation link for a program the contacting ship had sent in something labelled "Universal Messaging".

He let the cursor hover over the button that let the software make changes to the computer and looked up at Barrett, who was leaning over the back of the chair. "You sure about this, sir?"

He waved a dismissive hand. "It's just one computer. And a bloody old one at that. I have calculated that the risk of a virus is worth communication with... with alien life. Blimey, that sounds brilliant, doesn't it?"

Chip wished his friends could see Barrett be like this. His enthusiasm was like Patrick's sometimes. But Barrett always acted so in control when he was around the crew, as if nothing overwhelmed him. It was intimidating.

He clicked the confirmation option.

After a little loading time, with a series of green progress bars quickly filling up and giving way to the next, a dialogue box popped up in the middle of the screen.

Welcome to Universal Communications. You have registered as text, audio and video transmission and reception. To add or remove communication options, please toggle options in Settings. Onwards, explore!

Chip took a deep breath and dismissed the dialogue box, opening the application properly. It was a simple, streamlined messaging service, but Chip had a feeling that the interface was tailored to suit what the computer was used to. What would the interface look like on the ship they were to communicate with? Or would it even look? Maybe it would smell.

They had one notification in a little red circle, which turned out to be the communication request from the other ship, though how they'd got that through to an application that hadn't even been downloaded yet Chip had no idea.

"So, um, I guess we call them back?" Chip said.

"Of course!" Barrett shouted, slapping the back of the chair. "Let's do it!"

The controls were very user friendly, which Chip's nerves were grateful for. The whole experience of alien contact thus far had resembled most closely Chip's experience of joining Facebook. So sleek, ready and waiting to draw you in with all manner of fun features just a click away. Within five seconds he had iniated the video call - or at least, video on their end.

"Dammit," Chip muttered. The first shot the aliens had access to was of the underside of Barrett's chin. He'd forgotten to readjust the webcam once he'd turned the monitor around.

Some simple white text popped up on the screen. Geerhaldian to English: Greetings, fellow travellers! Do not worry; that is far from the most undignified first contact this alliance has ever seen.

Chip giggled - at a joke cracked by an alien. A Geerhaldian? And why was the text on the screen? Did they not have audible speech?

A moment later a head and shoulders appeared in shot. The head was round and spiky, and seemed to protrude backwards, but it was hard to tell from the angle. The shoulders seemed to roll around a lot, as if the bones of this species were a lot less rigid than most of those found on Earth. But most striking were the cool grey eyes. They looked identical to Patrick's. Or at least, enough to make Chip jump out of his skin.

Chip let his eyes dart around, taking this all in, as Captain Barrett returned their greeting.

"It is a pleasure to meet you!" he shouted, far louder than he had to. "Thank you for giving us access to this enlightening software."

Ah, good, we are glad it works for you. Some instantiations have been a bit hit and miss. We think we have got the hang of translating colloquialisms this time around!

Chip bit down on his bottom lip as the three examples contained within that sentence proved its own point. He allowed a grin to spread wide on his face.

Apologies for the method, the text read, our psychic-audio relay tablets sound terrible over video connection, and since you have no telepathic capabilities...

Chip gaped up at Barrett, who took a deep breath and said, much quieter this time, "We appreciate the effort regardless. Now, I should introduce myself. My name is Captain Dominic Barrett, and this is Shadow Captain Chip... do any of you have last names?"

Chip shook his head and before he could censor himself said, "Like Patrick was going to call over the wrong Chip?"

He knew that was a terrible idea, but Patrick’s eyes were stuck in his mind. Barrett's eyes widened at the mention of Patrick, as Chip had expected as soon as the words were out of his mouth, but luckily he was distracted by some more text on the screen.

Hold on, our research led us to believe that only the fully erect primate species was capable of speech?

Chip leaned forward and said, "My friends and I are something of a special case. And uh, who may I be explaining this to?"

Oh, of course, my name is Hilo. What do you mean special case?

Chip frowned. This conversation was far, far less professional than the software it was being conducted on.

"I mean that there was an incident just over a year ago that resulted in about forty animals being given the consciousness equivalent to a human. There's several more ships full of us a little ways back," Chip said, trying not to sound like his throat was too scratchy from nerves.

Oh... Oh God, oh no. I have to go. I - the rumours. I thought there was no way. Please, stand by for about ten minutes.

With that, the signal cut out and they returned to the main homepage of the application.

"What the heck..." Chip whispered. He looked up at Barrett. "Do you think I should have kept my mouth shut."

"No!" Barrett snapped. He raised his own eyebrows and shook his head. "Sorry, my friend, I've no idea what came over me just there. What I meant to say was, you are not so very different from a human. I intend to treat you as one. You speak whenever you like."

Chip felt a little rush of warmth at Barrett's passion, but a sharp spike broke into it as he wondered which of his toothier friends that sentiment extended to.

Barely a minute later, a call came through again, and this time they faced two Geerhaldians, if that was what they were called. The new one was slightly taller, with darker purple, more circular eyes.

Sorry about that. This time the text came up in green. I had to go get my colleague here, who remembers the incident better than I do. Are you saying that you and your friends have been exposed to airborne Cerdulite?

Chip glanced from the screen to Barrett and back. "I... not as far as I know. The scientist who did it couldn't even figure out how it happened."

Purple text this time read, And did this incident take place in the north end of an island proximate to a large continental land mass? Just to the east of one of your bigger oceans, though with a smaller island in between?

From the newcomer's intense frown, Chip reckoned it was this Geerhaldian speaking now, and the colours were to tell them apart. That didn't mean he had any more idea of what was going on.

He did however recognise what northern region of an island may be being referred to. "Yes, that does sound like Scotland. Though some of us call it a country."

Both sets of eyes - piercing grey and round purple - widened and seemed to be looking far, far away.

Green text: Bloody hell. They went through with it.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
935 Reviews


Points: 2806
Reviews: 935

Donate
Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:38 am
Shady wrote a review...



Heya Bisc,

Back again, as promised! Excited to see what this mysterious meeting is going to hold for us ^-^

I really like how you start this chapter! You do a good job of easing us into the meeting because we are anxious to know what's happening but this isn't a sudden case of throwing it all at us. But at the same time, it's not a tangent that makes me impatient. In fact, it is INCREDIBLY relatable to me to have issues with tech, and I think this is a nice way to start this chapter so that we are excited to read on and find out what this meeting is all about. It was also wholesome that it was a way for Chip to think back to Patrick... I miss him </3

Chip wished his friends could see Barrett be like this. His enthusiasm was like Patrick's sometimes.


Aww, w h o l e s o m e. Chip is making me so indecisive about Barrett. I don't WANT to like him, but Chip is clearly biased in his favor, which makes me think maybe there's something more to him?? Or maybe he's just getting misled and I should be suspicious still. BUT I DON'T KNOW.

Apologies for the method, the text read, our psychic-audio relay tablets sound terrible over video connection, and since you have no telepathic capabilities...


Okay, but, like... are they able to translate Chip/Barrett back to their language? Like is it just streaming it the issue? Cause I don't understand why they can't speak but CAN understand speech sent back to them?

and this is Shadow Captain Chip... do any of you have last names?"


Honestly, this read weird to me, and at first I thought he was asking the aliens if any of them have last names, and my brain was like "you don't even know their first names yet???" before I realized what he meant. And then, like... idk, it seems unprofessional for him to ask it like that? Like hi, yes, this is my captain but I don't even know enough about him to know whether he has a last name or not. But, even if he does ask this, I would suggest have a bit more in here to make this clear who he is talking to, maybe have him whisper to Chip or something?

"I mean that there was an incident just over a year ago that resulted in about forty animals being given the consciousness equivalent to a human. There's several more ships full of us a little ways back," Chip said, trying not to sound like his throat was too scratchy from nerves.


This feels a little too casual? Like, I don't want to critique too, too much because he IS a monkey afterall xD But it just feels really nonchalant to be like oh and yeah I'm gonna drop this massive secret all casual-like to complete strangers, mkay?

Green text: Bloody hell. They went through with it.


!!!! Ooh! This is an AMAZING cliffhanger and makes me really, really glad that the next chapter is already up because I am FASCINATED and ahhh I love how you're tying all of this back together here with the start of the novel.

I also love that your aliens are English xD

Overall, I think this was a really great chapter! You did a great job of setting it up in a realistic light with tech issues -- which we can ALL relate to -- and then bringing in mysterious aliens. I would like to know a bit more about them, but I'm sure that'll come with time. I do really like that we already have the mystery of wondering what they're referring to and who exactly went through with what. Great stuff!

Keep writing!

~Shady

Obligatory Schadenfreude and Fahrvergnügen




User avatar
4100 Reviews


Points: 253913
Reviews: 4100

Donate
Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:19 am
View Likes
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Okay the last one uploaded so far.

First Impression: Oh wow. My crazy theory about these aliens being responsible sounds like it might be correct. Well...things just got turned up to eleven in this story.

Anyway let's get to it,

The desktop monitor squeaked as Chip tried to wrestle it around so that it didn't face the light anymore. He and Captain Barrett had taken a test photograph with the webcam and realised that their faces were entirely in shadow because of the sharp contrast, but the monitor's wires disappeared through a hole in the desk with very little slack. As a result, getting it to turn around had been almost impossible.


That's planning right there Chip.

Chip tapped the screen, but gulped as he realised that this was not an iPad, and he had to use the mouse. Patrick had chosen to give the animals tablets rather than having communal computers - apparently Holly and Scott fought over their shared electronics in a way that would just not be conducive to the strong sense of team spirit needed for the zoo's acts. Chip sighed, shoved the memory of Patrick and his grandchildren out of his mind, and took hold of the mouse.


That's a nice moment right there. Although Patrick has been spending all that money on a lot more than his personal needs I see.

He waved a dismissive hand. "It's just one computer. And a bloody old one at that. I have calculated that the risk of a virus is worth communication with... with alien life. Blimey, that sounds brilliant, doesn't it?"


That does sound brilliant actually.

What would the interface look like on the ship they were to communicate with? Or would it even look? Maybe it would smell.


Well that's a very interesting idea right there.

Some simple white text popped up on the screen. Geerhaldian to English: Greetings, fellow travellers! Do not worry; that is far from the most undignified first contact this alliance has ever seen.


Oh the stories that could be behind a statement like that.

A moment later a head and shoulders appeared in shot. The head was round and spiky, and seemed to protrude backwards, but it was hard to tell from the angle. The shoulders seemed to roll around a lot, as if the bones of this species were a lot less rigid than most of those found on Earth. But most striking were the cool grey eyes. They looked identical to Patrick's. Or at least, enough to make Chip jump out of his skin.


Nice description there.

Ah, good, we are glad it works for you. Some instantiations have been a bit hit and miss. We think we have got the hang of translating colloquialisms this time around!


Is that supposed to be installations?

"No!" Barrett snapped. He raised his own eyebrows and shook his head. "Sorry, my friend, I've no idea what came over me just there. What I meant to say was, you are not so very different from a human. I intend to treat you as one. You speak whenever you like."


Character growth?

Both sets of eyes - piercing grey and round purple - widened and seemed to be looking far, far away.

Green text: Bloody hell. They went through with it.


Well that's a very interesting spot to end this on.

Aand that's it for this one so far.

Overall: You built up to some very interesting things there. Sounds really interesting. And we get some good fleshing out for Captain Barrett which is great. Looking forward to when you post more of this. Please tag me when you do.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




User avatar
351 Reviews


Points: 14090
Reviews: 351

Donate
Wed May 27, 2020 11:58 pm
View Likes
mellifera wrote a review...



Hey Bisc!

I'm back for another of your works because it's sadly camping the back of the Green Room and I'm here to help with that <3

Sorry for anything I don't know because I haven't read anything before this!

Chip sighed, shoved the memory of Patrick and his grandchildren out of his mind, and took hold of the mouse.


*sniff sniff* I smell some Angst

He clicked on the installation link for a program the contacting ship had sent in something labelled "Universal Messaging".


It could just be me being spacey, but I had trouble reading this line? I think it's just because it's not broken up and there's a few "sections" to it, if you will. Perhaps: "He clicked on the installation link for the program sent by the contacting ship. Something labelled "Universal Messaging".

Welcome to Universal Communications. You have registered as text, audio and video transmission and reception. To add or remove communication options, please toggle options in Settings. Onwards, explore!


I'm kind of wondering if you meant "explorer"? It makes sense either way, it just sounds like it's meant to end with an address rather than a general sort of command.

The whole experience of alien contact thus far had resembled most closely Chip's experience of joining Facebook


this gave me a Chuckle, very good

Chip let his eyes dart around


if this isn't a mood for talking to anyone

since you have no telepathic capabilities...


I love how this guy just casually throws that in there? "oh sadly no telepathy, but don't worry! no biggie!"


I just went back to find where Chip was introduced because I was pretty quickly confused by the conversation with Hilo here, but now I'm DELIGHTED that he's a capuchin monkey?? they're so cute??? I love???


Oh... Oh God, oh no. I have to go. I - the rumours. I thought there was no way. Please, stand by for about ten minutes.


oH NO?? SUSPICIOUS??

Chip felt a little rush of warmth at Barrett's passion, but a sharp spike broke into it as he wondered which of his toothier friends that sentiment extended to.


Very Good Description I really like this show of his emotions and what he's feeling :D
(I think by toothier you meant mouthier though? since you don't,,, speak with your teeth)


I seem to have entered on a serious, dramatic note? I like the light-hearted banter though and the reprieves sprinkled in, especially before the sort of panic/distress the Geerhaldians seem to be in after learning Chip can talk (and presumably some experiment they knew of that wasn't supposed to go through did?). The pacing is good, and you balance the emotions of the scene well!

In hindsight, Barrett addresses Chip directly during their conversation and introduces him as the Shadow Captain, which I feel like is just as telling as Chip actually speaking that there's something else going on here. I don't think this really affects anything, just observing! I don't think Chip speaking is more or less suspicious than Barrett directly asking Chip a question (unless there's more that I just,, don't understand lol).


I don't have much more for you, since I don't know much of the story, but I enjoyed it! There's clearly some interesting stuff going on here! Hopefully some of my comments helped <3

I hope you have an amazing day! : )




ExOmelas says...


Thank you so much! Yeah, is big moment. Basically as far as they are aware it was an Earth-based company that caused the group of animals to gain sentience, but the reveal here is that it seems to have been something done by someone the Geerhaldians know.

Fun fact, it actually is meant to be "toothier" xD There's a theme in this section about how the humans have promoted Chip to shadow captain just because he's a monkey even though he's an anxious mess most of the time. As opposed to Dexi, who is very smart and capable, but also a crocodile with enormous, scary teeth whom the humans don't identify with. Of course, not all humans, as Patrick is a loving friend to them all, but Barrett is an ass :P

Hope your day's awesome too! :D



User avatar
386 Reviews


Points: 27684
Reviews: 386

Donate
Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:08 am
Dossereana wrote a review...



Hello @ExOmelas I am here to do another review, so I no I bugged you a little for this chapter so thanks for posting it. But with out further or do lets get right into the review.

Okay I no I'm not really saying this anymore here so I just want to let you no that your description is great you getting so much better, and I'm really pumped when I read your story. Chip sounds funny wile his wrestling with the desktop monitor, Barrett's funny to.

Chip tapped the screen, but gulped as he realised that this was not an iPad, and he had to use the mouse.

XD Packed out laughing here when I read this, but before I forget I noticed that you spelt realised wrong,

You: realised \ Me: realized

Okay anyone can do that, I even do it a lot more then that when I write. now then moving on.

Patrick had chosen to give the animals tablets rather than having communal computers - apparently Holly and Scott fought over their shared electronics in a way that would just not be conducive to the strong sense of team spirit needed for the zoo's acts.

Okay so I really liked reading this hole line Holly and Scott are funny when it comes to this. Anyways my one problem here is that this hole line seams a bit drawn out it does not have any commas in it or fully stops, so you mite want to think about shortening it a little and separating it into different lines maybe. But other then that the lines great.

He waved a dismissive hand. "It's just one computer. And a bloody old one at that. I have calculated that the risk of a virus is worth communication with... with alien life. Blimey, that sounds brilliant, doesn't it?"

Oh I really like Barrett his funny, I mean that what Barret just said is like laugh worthy. mostly when Barret said Blimey, that sounds brilliant, doesn't it, that was like my favorite part of the line for some reason. when you write you put a real sens of humor behind the characters it makes the story funny and less boring. also you mite want to worn people when you have something like bloody in the chapter it is kind of a swear word hear, so just a little warning.

Chip wished his friends could see Barrett be like this. His enthusiasm was like Patrick's sometimes. But Barrett always acted so in control when he was around the crew, as if nothing overwhelmed him. It was intimidating.


I'll say intimidating no wonder Chip wants Barrett to be like this around everyone else. I mean all of his friends mostly think his scary and intimidating witch I can see why. I really like this chapter with Barret you get to see his good and funny side.

Green text: Bloody hell. They went through with it.

Last thing you mite want to worn people about this as well, we don't won't young viewers coming on here and reading this when there not supposed to be. But that's all I no I was nit pick on this chapter.

So that's all I can say I really liked this chapter, and if I was being mean harsh or anything like that real sorry did not mean to. I hope this was helpful to you though. I loved reading the chapter. I hope to read the next one when you post it. :D

I hope you have a great Day

@Dossereana Out In The Sky Of Reviews




ExOmelas says...


Hi Doss, thanks for the review :D Sorry about the swears, I completely forget what counts sometimes! Will stick a warning in next time it comes up. Also fun fact, "realised" is the UK spelling :) We use a lot of s's where yous use z's.

Thanks again! :D



Dossereana says...


Oh I get the thing about the realised, also no problem I can't wait for the next chapter to be posted. :D




I write because I don't know what I think until I read what I say.
— Flannery O'Connor