12+

A Day in the Life

by Panikos

My entry for Elinor's Beatles contest, hence the title. This is only flash fiction, but please let me know whether the subject matter is too obvious or too vague, and if there are any bits of expression I need to iron out. 

When Luke woke, he was drowning.

His eyes opened. A whirl of light, a gasp, then water – pushing into his nose and throat like blunt fingers. He rolled left. The floor slammed into his back, the pain bumping up his spine.

Everything was still. Shapes separated in his vision.

“Awake now, moron?”

Luke blinked. Chelsea loomed over him, a fist propped against her hip, a glass in hand. The clock blinked at him from the bedside table.

“Did you just pour a whole glass of water on my face?” Luke said.

“Go now and they might not sack you,” she said. “I’m not forking out your half of the rent again.”

“A whole glass of water?” Luke repeated.

She turned out of the room, slamming the door. Luke clawed himself upright, pressing the heels of his hands to his eyes. Darkness span around him. God almighty.

He pulled himself up, scraping a hand through his curls. Work. Work clothes. Yes. Tube. Office. Money. Important serious things. He scrabbled around, grabbing a shirt, trousers, jacket – was that a sick stain? – and tumbling into them. His head pounded.

Up and away. No time for food, not that he could stomach it. He swiped his coat off the hanger. Front door, handle, shoulder, and Christ that’s cold. The air bit like teeth, the sun snapping at his eyes.

He shielded his face and pulled his phone out of his pocket, flipping to Alan’s number. His thumb flashed over the keypad.

How’s ur head lol?

*

The office was a paint splatter of noise and movement. Luke slumped down at his computer just as his watch inched towards quarter past. He glanced at his phone again. Nothing from Alan. Probably wasn’t even awake yet, lucky sod.

A thump. Anita leaned over his monitor, her eyebrows raised.

“Tsk tsk,” she said, grinning. “You damn lucky Loraine en’t caught you.”

“I’m barely late.”

“Yeah, but it’s all guns blazing this morning. She’s going nuts. Wants you on…” She frowned. “Is that sick stain?”

“Porridge,” Luke said, crossing his arms over the blotch.

“Yeah, right. She wants you down at the crash site looking for witnesses – coffee bars, corner shops, those kinda places – so you-”

“Crash? What crash?”

Anita’s eyebrows crept even higher. “You en’t even turned the telly on this morning?”

“What do you think?”

“It’s that Tory Lord, Alan Wicken. He’s crashed into a corner shop. Completed sozzled, people’re saying. Didn’t notice the lights had changed.”

Luke stared. His thoughts jarred like stuck cogs.

Anita leaned back. “You alright?”

“Yeah, I’m…” Luke gripped his knees. Think. Say something. “How bad was it?”

Anita hesitated. She didn’t have to do anything else.

*

The street stank of smoke and fumes, and everywhere were the roiling flashes of blue police lights. They hadn’t cleared the wreckage yet – one black, twisted Toyota carcass, slammed halfway into the front of a corner shop. Luke stared at it, pressing his thumb to the point of his pencil.

He wondered if the air freshener was still in there. If you could still smell the pine on it.

He pressed too hard and swore. Blood beaded over his thumb, then dripped and burst on the notepad. He tore the sheet away and screwed it into a hard little bullet between his fingers.

“Saw it all, you know,” a voice said.

Luke turned. A tubby man, hands tucked in his jacket, chin drawn up high.

“The crash?” Luke heard himself say.

“The very one,” he said. “I work at the garage, just there.” He pointed a little further down the street, to a dingy little petrol station with graffitied shutters. “Open all night. Saw it all.”

Luke shook the dust from his thoughts. “Do you mind if I ask a few things? I work for the Weekly – just trying to get a sense of what happened.”

The man shrugged, all casual, like that wasn’t the whole reason he’d been loitering, like he hadn’t been bug-eyed and waiting for the first crackle of notepaper. Ants. People were ants when these things happened, crawling over ice lollies while they melted into the concrete.

“What did you see?” Luke asked. “What time was it, actually, when it happened?”

“About three-ish,” the man said. “Early morning, anyway. We’d had a bit of trouble with a pump, so I was out here seeing to it.”

Going to get my name in the Weekly, he’d be saying, the moment this was over. He’d be telling his mates.

“And did you actually see the car crash?” Luke asked.

“Heard something first. Car horn, bleating like nobody’s business. Turned round and saw that Toyota swerving off out another car’s way. Crashed straight into the shop. Just as bloody well, really.”

Luke’s hand tightened on the pencil. “How d’you mean?”

“Well, the shop were empty.” The man shrugged again. “Least harm done, innit?”

“I’d say there was considerable harm,” Luke said.

“Well, yeah,” the man said. “It’s a shame and all that. It is a shame, don’t get me wrong, but he’d been drinking, hadn’t he?”

Luke swallowed. His thumb was bleeding again.

“Don’t mean it’s not a shame, don’t get me wrong,” the man repeated. He tucked his thumbs into his belt loops. “It’s his missus I feel for.”

Luke closed his eyes. Memories flurried through the blackness – drifting laughter, the smell of pine, the warm weight of a mouth on his.

He opened them.

“Yeah,” he said. “Yeah, me too.”

*

Warmth tongued his face as he opened the door to the flat. Cigarette smoke lay in low haze, laced together with the smell of cheap pasta sauce, and nausea clinched his stomach. He dropped onto the sofa.

The floorboards creaked. Chelsea’s shadow cut across the floor from the kitchen doorway.

“You make it in time today?”

Luke nodded. “Just.”

“Hallelujah,” she said. “Alright day?”

Luke fiddled with his hands, smoothing his finger over the tender skin of his thumb.

“Fine,” he said.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:58 pm
Spilledink wrote a review...

It's deep. Dark. But well written. You showed the pain and the mind wracking situation. I like that you added sentences such as

"Luke fiddled with his hands, smoothing his finger over the tender skin of his thumb"

I enjoyed that feeling where you know and feel too what they are feeling. You included words that made it far more interesting and delightful.
And the language of the people is extremely interesting. You made the accents come to life on paper, you could tell where the characters were from by the words they said. A couple things I would change though, are where you just add in "God almighty" as if it were a sentence itself. If it's a thought of the character, at least put it in italics. And another thing, it's kinda vague. I got a bit confused in parts, but I definitely think you should write more to this.

Elinor wrote a review...

Hey, Dark!

Here's your review, as promised. One thing that fascinates me about A Day in the Life as a song is its composition. You have a central idea followed by a verse of what could have been an entirely different song. Together, they form something, but neither has a resolution. It's purposefully unfinished. Yet it works so well. I can see why many rank this as the best song they ever did. Even if it's not my personal favorite, it's still fascinating and unique. I wonder if, in writing this, you did any research into how the song was written, both the inspiration for it and the actual composition. You might find it interesting.

Your story portrays the unfinished quality of the song very effectively, and that's part of the reason why you won. But it was also because I was very drawn to into the internal conflict of your protagonist, Luke. You made his world feel real, which is very difficult to do with such a short piece. I also found it interesting that you essentially reversed the structure of of the song, which I welcome. Woke up, fell out of bed comes first, then the wreck, but eventually you get back to woke, up, fell of bed. Either way, I think you portrayed that life goes on even in the midst of tragedy. I also loved that you made him a detective in order to bring the two pieces of the song together.

I wonder if, now that you aren't bound by the word limits of this contest anymore, you would be interested in expanding on it a little more. I don't think it needs to be much longer than it is, but I was reading Carina's review and your response to it, and I don't know that I would have understood that Alan and Luke had been having an affair if you hadn't said it. Clarifying this could serve you well, although you don't need to be too on the nose about it either.

I also wonder if he could find out about what happened to Alan a little more gradually. Maybe it's on TV, and he doesn't process it at first. Then Anita notices him staring and starts talking to him about it. Just an idea.

One tiny nitpick:

This might be just a me thing, but I don't you think you need the song lyric in there. It's kind of distracting. Again, this is a just little thing that bothered me, but it may be fine for other people.

Overall, great job. I loved it (obviously). Let me know if you have any questions!

Panikos says...

Thank you! This is a really helpful review :)

Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:32 am
Carina wrote a review...

Heya! This has been in the Green Room for a couple of days so I thought I've give ya another review. I know this is for a contest, and even though I'm not a huge Beatles fan or are super familiar with their songs, I researched enough background knowledge on "A Day in the Life" (meaning, I just listened to the song and read the lyrics lol) to give this piece a proper review. Just like in your past piece, your writing style is great and there's honestly not a lot I can critique. However, I can say what I like, and how well I think this piece fits the song.

The biggest thing that stood out to me was, w0wzers, you can really make an American reader actually read a story in an English/Scottish accent. That almost never happens to me personally, but when Anita was speaking, I found that the little voice in my head was actually speaking in a Scottish accent! (I hope it's Scottish, anyways. Just has that..."country"...dialect to it. lol) Props to the dialogue and the dialect.

The words to this story fall so naturally, and I liked the pseudo-dramatic beginning when Luke was "drowning" in a cup of water. :p The only part of the story that I thought was jarring was the text Luke sent to Alan. Yeah, sure, it made me smirk, but the randomness of it caught me off guard and brought me out of the natural flow of your story.

Speaking of natural flow! Here are some spots specifically that I thought had great word choice and imagery:

The air bit like teeth, the sun snapping at his eyes.

This line was practically poetic.

... drifting laughter, the smell of pine, the warm weight of a hand on his thigh.

I thought these words captured the essence of the song pretty well.

Aaaand that's a perfect transition to how I think this piece fits with the song. Again, I'm no Beatles expert, so this is my opinion on the 5 minutes I listened and read along with the lyrics. Personally, I think the song can be divided to three parts: everything is normal --> something bad happens --> everything is normal, but different. Based on the lyrics, the "something bad" would be a car accident.

In your story, you pretty much followed this layout. Normal day with Luke, finds out his buddy Alan got into an accident, and he reports the accident for his job. The only smidge that I think could be improved is the "everything is normal, but different" part. Think about it this way: say a close friend of yours recently got into a bad accident on a busy street, and things aren't looking pretty. It was such a tragedy, and for you and their family, it's like the world is on pause and nothing is okay and everything from now is going to be completely and utterly different. But that busy street is still going to be busy; cars come and go, completely oblivious to the tragedy, and the world continues to spin even if you don't want it to.

That's the kind of vibe I think is missing from this piece. Luke says, "I'm fine," but maybe include traces of Alan, his silent despair, his restrain to pretend that everything is normal when everything is not. It's "A Day in the Life," and it's a day in the life without Alan, and Luke does not want that, but Luke knows he need to accept it...eventually. But you're absolutely right that it all starts with the fake smiles and the, "I'm fine," response to the "Are you okay?" question.

I hope this helps! Again, good job with this piece. I'll keep silent tabs on your future works that show up in the Green Room again. :p

~Carina

Panikos says...

Thank you! This is really helpful. As for why Luke is oddly quiet in the 'I'm fine' bit - I actually wanted to have the implication that he and Alan were having an affair, not that they were just friends. So he's silent about it because their whole relationship - which would've admittedly just been a bit of fun, not some massively romantic love affair - is a secret anyway, and he doesn't really feel like he's got the right to mourn. I can see that I need to make it clearer that they were in a relationship. I would like to make Luke's grief clearer in the last section, too, but the word limit was 1000 so it was hard to cram it in
Anyhow, thank you. This will definifely help me with the revisions.

Carina says...

No problem at all; glad I can help! And oooo wow this changes things up quite a bit, innit? (lol, now that Scottish lady had infected my vocabulary...) I suppose it was very subtle, but I liked the subtleness of it. It definitely would not have the same effect if he outright said, "oh noooo my secret fun timez luver is ded!!!11" Though something a teeeensy more obvious could make things interesting. Take this hypothetical revised line at the end, for example: "Luke fiddled with his hands, smoothing his finger over the initials 'AW' on a blue tie." oooo hmmmm spiii~iiicy

Just an idea! Glad I can help. I'd definitely be interested to know of any future revisions!

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:24 pm
sjdwrite wrote a review...

Hello there, DarkPandemonium,

I really liked your story. The plot was great- it was very suspenseful and I enjoyed the dialogue very much. I especially enjoyed the character of Anita. I found her very funny. I also liked the man from the garage and his dialogue. You used modern lingo very well there. Bravado!

However, the story did seem a bit vague. You could have made some parts a bit clearer for the reader to understand. If you explained things a bit more in the future, this story would of been perfect.

Overall, great job! Keep up the good work!

~sjdwrite

Sometimes my life just sounds like surrealistic fiction being sold on clearance at the book store.
— J. G. Hammersmith