A Storm of Us

by AutoPilot

I harbor a storm

it looms innocently under my skin

small at first

but intensifying with every touch

until it consumes me

-

can you hear the thunder in my chest?

every beat crashing louder than the last

can you see the lightening in my veins?

pulsing harder with every breath

can you hear the wind in my throat?

whirling away my words

-

the storm steals itself from my grasp

taking with it any sense of self control i had

it is no longer you and me

but storm clouds joining

breaking through the calm front into chaos

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:56 pm
Virgil wrote a review...

I’m positive that I’m late to the party on this one as I meant to review this one literal weeks ago but instead I’ve left the piece sitting in my Google Drive. This is Kays here for a review--let’s begin!

I harbor a storm
it looms innocently under my skin
small at first
but intensifying with every touch
until it consumes me

The transition between the first and second lines doesn’t work. In fact, while the imagery of the speaker ‘harboring a storm underneath their skin’ is interesting, the execution of the wording can be stronger. I suggest changing ‘I harbor a storm/it looms innocently under my skin’ to ‘I harbor a storm/looming innocently under/underneath my skin’ to make the transition smoother. Perhaps change the third line to be ‘a [storm/a synonym of storm to spice the vocabulary up] small at first’ to set-up for the last two lines of this first stanza. Overall while there are images being played around with that work but the diction seems to be a bit of a weakness.

can you hear the thunder in my chest?
can you see the lightening in my veins?
pulsing harder with every breath
can you hear the wind in my throat?
whirling away my words

The first two lines here--excellent. However, ‘lightening’ is spelled ‘lightning’ and ‘whirling’ in line six isn’t the strongest or best word that can be used in this case. I can see this being three separate stanzas if you wanted to go that route, either one after another or spread throughout the poem as interludes to the main stanzas, though that’s more of a stylistic choice to make on your part because there’s not a problem as is with this.

the storm steals itself from my grasp
it is no longer you and me
but storm clouds joining

There are four different uses of the word ‘it’ and one of ‘itself’ throughout this piece, with three of those occurring in this stanza and I have to say that’s about four too many. Why such an uninteresting word? ‘Storm’ is also used three times which is much smaller problem but why not use a synonym in there one or twice? Word choice can build the atmosphere of a piece--remember that. As for the main theme that’s gotten across, I found that to be lost in the last stanza, in a way. In the second stanza the word ‘you’ seems to be general but suddenly in the third stanza this becomes/turns into a ‘you’ that suggests another person. Why are the first two stanzas absent of this other person who I assume may be a friend or romantic interest of the speaker? I wanted more on that and I wanted more of the speaker's thoughts towards that person, and so on, otherwise I don't see why they're suddenly included in the piece. Overall, there's a consistent and solid metaphor throughout though this can use a bit of touching up.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask! I hope I helped and have a great day.

Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:56 pm
mtthompson29 wrote a review...

Hi AutoPilot!

Wow, what a great metaphorical poem! I think you did a GREAT job of keeping the metaphor fluid and relative to the big picture of the work; it can often be so easy to force the metaphor or let it fall to the wayside, but you effectively kept it front and center! :)

The structure of the poem was done very well, and there weren't any major stumbling blocks in my head as I read this to myself. The only comment I really have is that your intro seems a little contradictory. I really enjoy the imagery of the storm "looming under my skin," but "looming" as a word tends to have a connotation that isn't "innocent." On the contrary, if something is looming, it's generally understood that this thing is harmful, threatening, etc. - really anything *but* innocent. I would respectfully consider revising this aspect and choosing another word.

Overall, this was a great piece and I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Elinor wrote a review...

Hi AutoPilot,

Ellie here to give you a review! I quite enjoyed this poem. I thought it was very descriptive and portrayed the central emotion very powerfully. Yet it was still simple. I honestly don't have a lot to say - it's that good.

I guess the big thing I was wondering is what the narrator is feeling. The metaphor of the storm is very effective. It's something that easily understood and relate-able, which in my opinion is the key to a good metaphor. It's clear he feels something deeply, something that fills him with a fiery passion. But we don't know what it is. We don't necessarily have to know the specifics, but we should at least get a clear sense of the emotion that the reader can latch onto.

What this made me think of most of was the song Do You Hear the People Sing from Les Miserables. Ostensibly, it is about the French Revolution, but the collective sense of anger - and it's not rage, because there's the sense of unison as well - is strong enough that the song is universal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYb9sRLUDyM

You've perfected the metaphor. Now, think about what the narrator is feeling to provoke it.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:28 am
Radrook wrote a review...

Let me congratulate you on writing a very interesting extended metaphorical poem. I really love the imagery of lighting in the veins, thunder in the chest and wind in every breath. Sometimes one does wonder how people can't sense the storm inside us since it seems to dominate our whole perception of the moment.

Here is how I understood it. The speaker is involved in a relationship that might appear to be calm to the other person but which has provoked storm-like emotions in the speaker. What exactly these provocations are are left for the reader to imagine. They can be due to a hidden infidelity. Or any of the minute things which tend to grate o a person's nerves. But in this case it seems to be provoked by a touch. So that seems to hint at a sensual stimulus which the speaker tells us will lead to chaos.

suggestion

....[words[?]
....breath[?]
....joining[,]

AutoPilot says...

Your interpretation is so on point that I can't not respond, thank you so much!

Why do we only rest in peace? Why don't we live in peace too?
— Alison Billet