Reunion

by AlyTheBookworm

.

I believe there has only ever been one cold, moon-bright night,

And it knows nothing of time or memory or the featherweight of human years.

I believe that, beneath its canopy, we gaze at the same black skies,

That little one- that wild-haired sprite with firefly eyes- and me.

.

Who knew we’d be reunited by a full moon, a rain of falling stars,

And a favorite, tinny recording from the 80s, song of la luna,

Song of the snow-faced mother cradling gray-eyed son, his body white as ermine,

Shedding diamond tears from their night-colored eyes,

The infant’s wailing like sweet music to our ears, so tragically, deliciously alive.

.

Chill creeps into our pink faces, turns us porous and timeless and grey as moon-rock,

As stardust pools in our irises, clinging to our hair, soft as the mother’s whispering hush:

“Calladito, calladito.”

Who knew something so soft could sting so sharp?

.

The child-sprite is falling up now, into that cold black sky, her dead fingers grasping mine,

She pulls me after, and together we are wind-tossed, flying air.

We shed our winter coats and breathe ice,

Ghostly delight on her smiling face, echoing the thrum of my heart,

That core of warmth sustained,

Only by the soaring chords that carry us both atop their crest.

.

Moons wane, songs end, and infants grow into men and women,

Too tall and too heavy to ever again float off the face of the Earth.

But in her arms I dance and embrace the frozen sky,

Until the stars set and time resumes,

Locking her away in fifteen years ago,

To wait for the return of our cold, moon-bright night.

.

Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:27 am
alliyah says...

This is such a super lovely and interesting poem to consider! It paints a beautiful comforting picture and is a very enjoyable read too. :) Thanks for sharing Aly!

Aw thank you so much alliyah! <3

I had a lot of fun discussing and hearing all your different interpretations. I'm really happy you enjoyed it :)

Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:53 pm

I loved the details and imagery from the poem.The descriptions you used were magical and beautiful.It was fairy-tale like.It does feel like a childhood memory with your descriptions.It’s how we all imagine the world when we’re younger.Beautifuk and infinite.This was lovely.Good poem.I enjoyed it.I hope you have a lovely and wonderful day and night! Goodbye for now and Happy New Year!

Aw thanks so much! Happy new year! :D

Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:03 am
Plume wrote a review...

Hey there! Plume here, with a review!

Ooh, this was a both haunting and beautiful poem! It definitely felt almost like a distorted memory: somehow both larger than life and painfully real at the same time. It felt almost like a dream, in a way. I think your imagery in this was really tremendous, and the way you used line breaks and phrasing really helped make the flow of this poem so amazing. I really, really enjoyed reading it!

One thing I really enjoyed was how cohesive your imagery was. It was just so cold, in a way. I loved the focus on space/cooler-connoted things. From that first line where you explicitly state the coldness, you continue that pattern throughout with various things that are all different but fit so well together. The line about "diamond tears" and the one about "grey moon rock" were some of my favorites. They're just so harsh and cold while still being ethereal and unearthly in a way, which I'd say is a big theme in your poem. It was a delight to read. Really nice work!!

The flow was also magnificent. Even though you didn't necessarily have a pattern/rhyme scheme, it flowed really nicely. I think it was carried through your imagery and returns to certain motifs and objects throughout. The child sprite mentioned throughout was really interesting, and I think that the narrative that went along with that really helped smooth the poem. I think the cohesiveness of the imagery helped a lot too.

Overall: nice work!! This poem was so unique and amazing. Your cool imagery (and I mean cool in both senses of the word) worked so nicely to build up those ethereal vibes throughout, and the repetition of motifs without word for word echoing made the flow superb as well. I hope to read more of your poetry soon! Until next time!!

Thanks for the review, Plume! I really appreciate it and I'm glad you liked <3

Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:27 pm
Liminality says...

Ohh this is really beautiful, Aly! Not a review, but just wanted to say:

is a hauntingly beautiful image. The intro line to this also hooked me in c:

Aw thank-you Lim! I'm glad you liked it! That's a favorite line of mine too :)

Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.