z

Young Writers Society


16+ Violence

Pokemon Ultimate Evolution Season Two: Episode 21, Kept At Bay

by dark


Warning: This work has been rated 16+ for violence.

Pan tiptoed her way toward where she last shaw Karen and I, careful stepping over branches and dead leaves. "I really hope Ryan killed her already..." She muttered to herself. She ducked behind a tree when she heard people talking.

"Ryan! Ryan wake up! Ryan!" Cristina cried.

"I let this happen again... Why do I keep failing?" Will lowered his head.

Pan burst through the small amount of brush in her way and knelt down beside me. "What happened?" She said in horror. "What the hell happened!"

"We don't..." Jason shook his head. "We don't know. We just found him like this... What do we do now?"

Cristina grabbed my hand. "Pan, Will, we need you to carry him back to the house, quickly." Cristina said, rubbing my palm. "He's still alive, and he built a room with beds that can heal injuries."

"Then we have no time to waste!" Will said. "If we can save him, then I'm going to help in any ways I can."

Will and Pan slumped me over their backs, smearing them with my blood. They followed Cristina and Jason through the woods as fast as they could.

"Ryan, please don't die..." Cristina thought.

----

Jake grunted as he felt someone perch on his head.

"What do you want now? Come crawling back to me, huh?" He said.

"Jake get over yourself!" Karen pecked him. "I just did something you would never have been able to do, the least you could say is 'thank you'!"

"What are you talking about?" Jake asked. "I've been sitting here ever since you convinced me to rest."

"Dammit, Jake I just killed Ryan Sparker!" Karen yelled.

"What? No way, you couldn't have possibly killed him that quickly." Jake rose from his perch and stood gliding in front of Karen. "How did you even get close?"

"Hmm, let's see, my amazing skills in trickery, maybe my amazing good looks." Karen chuckled. "He did most it though. He didn't suspect a thing. He even opened up to me. What a joke!"

Jake studies Karen's expression for a bit, noticing how giddy she was. "You really did it, didn't you?" He said. 

"Well, yeah!" Karen exclaimed. "I mean, he was alive when I left him, but he's as good as dead. Also few kids showed up right before I flew away, and they seemed like they knew him. Hey, why don't e go to their home and see if we find 'em there, huh?"

"Mm, maybe not yet..." Jake said. He started gliding towards my house anyway. Karen flew close to his head.

"Are you..." She burst into a fit a laughter. "Are you nervous?"

"Yeah, a little bit..." Jake answered.

"Oh. Oh! That's new!" Karen exclaimed. "It's Pan isn't it?"

"Yeah, it is. I'm afraid after I've killed the rest of them, I won't be able to kill Pan because of the memories of the life we used to share..." Jake veered to the left to dodge a tree. "Do you think something's wrong with me?"

"Well, you're a scumbag, you're a cheater, and you can't even satisfy a fifteen-year-old, so yeah, there's a lot wrong with you. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I still like you, Jake, and I forgive you for yesterday." Karen perched on his head as he gained speed.

"Wow, you really are insane..." Jake smiled. "Just for that, I'll let you kill one of the kids an then we both can kill Pan together!"

"Ooo, sounds like super fun!" Karen shouted.

----

I could feel my body struggling to recover, but I couldn't feel the pain anymore. I opened my eyes and looked around. My surrounding looked like a large prison cast in an everlasting light bluish glow. I looked down both hallways, which seemed to go on forever; I couldn't see where they ended.

"So you finally did it, huh?" I spun around to face the voices owner. Leaning on the railing of the second floor, was a man who I thought bore a striking resemblance to me. "You finally let someone get to you." He vaulted over the railing and landed in front of me. I noticed that even from a drop that high, he didn't make any noise when he landed.

"Yeah, unfortunately." I sighed. "These past couple of days just haven't been going my way..."

"Clearly, Ryan! You freakin' dead!" He exclaimed. "Hold on, before I get to far, my name, funny enough, is Ryan just like you. However, I go by Giri."

"I bet that's a shortened way to say 'Giratina', isn't it?" I asked. "I always knew the Renegade Pokemon had a family, not including the Giratina in me anyway."

"I guess so.." Giri shrugged. He put an arm around my shoulder and displayed the area to me. "You see this, Ryan? This whole jail, no, this whole dimension belongs to me. This is the Distortion World, buddy. You know how some humans believe that you'll go someplace good or bad after death depending on how you acted in life?"

"Yeah, I know." I answered.

"Well, unlike that misguided crap that they believe, this is the real deal." Giri said. "When anyone of our, excuse me, your world gets killed, where do you think their bodies disappear to?"

"I dunno if you've ever spent any time outside of here, but on the Overworld we don't usually think about that." I said, jokingly.

"The Overworld? Really, man, don't mock me like that..."

"My bad. Seriously though, do they come here?" I asked.

"Yup, they appear right next to me as long as I'm within the Distortion World at least. It's a good thing I don't take relaxation baths in here." Giri laughed. "Hey, by the way, thanks for being so cool about all of this. When any other person gets killed they freak out when they get here. Well, all except one person..."

"Really, who was it?"

"A young girl, named Flannery Woods." Giri answered, shaking his head. "Damn, who would want to harm such a beautiful, precious flower like her intentionally?"

"Her brother, that's who." I told him. "I saw it happen, actually. He was the person I was going after when Karen tricked me... Though you already know that."

"I knew about the trickery part, but I didn't know you were going after Jake Woods." Giri said. "I kinda have a pseudo business going on here. Plus my life outside of providing comfortable living for the victims of murder."

"Yeah, you call a prison comfortable living..."

"I got the idea from Earth, you know, that useless planet you created because of a dare or some crap. Those prisons aren't designed to be places where someone would want to live, I know. However, all these cells you see aren't homes. They're just places where I keep people who either want to be separated or I think need to be separated. I rarely have to use them for that reason. And when I do, it's usually for a short time, because everyone here is so obedient, I love it-"

"Giri!" I interrupted. "You can ramble later. I want to see Flannery."

"Really? Wouldn't you like me to explain why I know so much about you, even the stuff that wasn't in the news?" Giri arched a brow. "Dude seriously, I can talk on the way, her home isn't that far from mine, which is close by the way." Giri walked into the never-ending hallway, motioning for me to follow. I stayed next to him.

"Fine, then talk." I said. "Not like I'm short on time..."

"Coolio. I'll start from where I left off..."

----

"You think those beds he designed will help him recover?" Will asked, sitting down on a bed. "I can sense that Ryan's got a ton of energy but... That wound went right through his core, you know where the heart is on humans. It may be made of electric energy but-"

"He'll make it!" Pan yelled, startling Will. "...I'm sorry."

"Ugh, don't be, Pan. I'm not good in these kinda of situations, even though I'm supposed to be..." Will answered.

"Ugh, why couldn't it have been me instead of him?" Pan cried. "Didn't you say you saw the both of us dead?"

"Yes, I did. Maybe finding Ryan before that Murkrow flew away prevented your death. She probably didn't want any screw ups and decided to leave you alone. At least for now..." Will sighed.

"Still, why couldn't it have been me?" Pan held he head in her heads and sobbed.

"Pan, don't say that." Jason said, hugging her. "Ryan's gonna make it. Besides, you would've had much less of a chance than Ryan. He's stronger than any of us."

"Jason's right." Cristina added. "You're not as strong as he is."

Everyone jumped at the sound of a loud boom outside. Jason got up and looked out the window and Jake firing countless Dark Pulses at the roof of the house with Karen riding on his back doing the same.

"Come on out, kids!" He yelled. "That place ain't gonna hold forever!"

"We gotta hide" Jason said, backing up from the window. "I don't think they actually know we're in here, so if he just stand our ground they might give up."

"Jason, the building is gonna come down!" Will said. "He have to leave."

"Nah, it won't." Jason smirked. "Ryan wouldn't build a house that couldn't withstand an attack like this. I just know it."

"Fine then. Come on, let's get into the basement. Ryan will be safe, there's a ladder that we can use to into that room if we need to." Cristina said, leading everyone to the basement. Pan walked towards the front door. "Pan what are you doing?"

"I'm going out there!" Pan said.

"No, you can't beat them! Ryan wasn't even able to beat the Murkrow!" Cristina tugged at her sleeve.

"Ryan was caught off guard!" Pan screamed and shoved her away. "He would never lose to these scum. Now go in the basement and do not come out!"

"Pan..." Cristina whimpered.

"I said go!"

Cristina got to her feet and joined Will and Jason at the basement door. Cristina noticed the red glow in her eyes when she opened the door. Pan slammed the door behind her as she walked outside. Jake landed in front of her and let Karen hop of him before transforming.

Ooh! Someone's angry!" Karen squealed. "What should we do?"

"Wait a second." Jake said. "Let me talk to her."

"You've got one damn minute." Pan growled.

"Why are you doing this, sweetheart?" Jake asked. "Why defend this family, when you can jus come back to me? This is all start because you broke my heart right? Maybe if you came back to me I could end all this. What do ya say, hmm?"

"He can't be serious... He isn't actually afraid to kill children is he?" Karen thought.

"Nothing in this world will make me come back to you, not after what you've done..."

"Actually, I killed Ryan, sweetheart." Karen interrupted. "Jake, why don't you step aside? It's been a while since I've had an actual challenge, you know. Although this'll probably be easier than killing that idiot Ryan. Too bad..." Jake walked to the far end of the street and looked on. The red in Pan's eyes darkened; affecting her vision.

"I'll... I'll kill you both!" She yelled. Two long purple sickles made of pure energy extend from her elbows.

"Ah, I remember Ryan did tell me that he thought you were a Palkia..." Karen snickered and transformed. "Didn't think an idiot like him would actually right. Come on, Pan, catch me if you can! Hit me with some of that 'spacial' power or whatever it is your species contains!"

"With pleasure..." Pan flashed an evil grin. She fired purple energy blades from the sickles that seemed to make ripples in the air towards Karen as she flew in circles above her head.

"Karen's taunting her too much..." Jake thought. "She's gonna lose it."

"That it, sweetheart?" Karen laughed, diving down and striking Pan in the chin with her beak. "You look so cute down there! I though you legendaries were supposed to be strong, or at least accurate!"

"Karen, stop it!" Jake yelled. "You can't keep taunting her like this!" Jake ran towards them. Pan held out her arm towards him, causing the ground to shake, throwing Jake off balance. "What the-" A torrent of ground water shot up from underneath him and shot him into the air. Karen flew to him as he hit the ground.

"You okay?" She asked.

"Dammit, I think a few of my teeth got smashed..." Jake spat onto the ground and wiped pebbles from wounds on his face.

"Get up, Jake." Karen said sternly. "I can't stand here worrying about you forever."

Jake got up Karen with perched on his shoulder. "Crap..." He blinked. Karen looked over at the oncoming Hydro Cannon. They were quickly engulfed by the water and blasted into the side of building five blocks away.

"That..." Pan said, panting heavily. "Was for my brother..." She looked down at her wet hands where the Hydro Cannon manifested while. The sickles in her elbows disappeared into thin air. Pan felt the deep wound on her chin from Karen's peck and yelped at the touch. "You're good Karen... But we're better."

----

"Well, here she is." Giri said, opening the gate to an odd park. The grass was a pale blue color; the entire area was a large fenced off square. Flannery sat at a lone picnic table, drinking light blue lemonade. She was dressed in a white dress covered in roses. "Flannery, sweetheart, someone's here to see you." Flannery looked up and smiled.

"Ryan..." She said. "It's about time we got to talk without someone trying to kill us."

"Well, we have all the time we need now." I answered, sitting opposite of her.

"It Jason okay?" She asked.

"I don't know, he pretended to be okay. He even acted like death excited him to cover it up. Inside I know he's still down about what happened to you..." I sighed. "I haven't seen him since then, although I did feel him along with the rest of my family, you know, before I died."

"Jason will still be okay, though?" Flannery said with a worried expression. "I know I told him not to be violent, but what if that means he won't defend himself?"

"I can't say, for certain."

"There might be a way for you two to see what's going on." Giri interrupted. He placed his heads together and materialized two red tablets with flashing screens. "I haven't had a lot of time to figure out the connection, but these things work sorta like crystal balls I guess. Just think of whatever you want to see. Here take a look." Giri handed both us a tablet. Flannery's showed her a view of the basement of my house as soon as she touched it. Mine showed me what was happening on Pan's end.

"Do you know where are they?" Flannery asked showing me her screen. Cristina was talking to Jason and another boy didn't recognize.

"They're in the basement of my house." I said. "Giri is there anyway for is to here what they're saying?"

He took the tablets from us and flicked a tiny switch on the side. "There, the audio should be on now." Voices emitted from Flannery's tablet loud and clear.

"Cristina, what did was up with Pan?" Will asked. "Is she normally that aggressive to you?"

"I haven't know her that long, Will. Besides, she's angry, I understand that." Cristina sighed. "I just hope all of that rumbling up there was caused by her."

"Don't worry, she'll be fine." Jason, placed a hand on her shoulder. "I doubt those two are as powerful as they make themselves out to be."

"Oh, dear..." Flannery said. "Ryan, look." She pointed at the tablet in my hands. On the screen Pan was standing next to me while I was unconsious in the bed.

"What the, hell?" Giri gasped. "This- This is impossible!"

I looked at the screen in amazement. "Ryan's not dead?" Flannery asked.

"Looks that way Flannery." Giri answered. "Jeez, twelve year or doing this and I never noticed this?"

"Noticed what?" I asked.

"I thought people only come here when they died, but it seems that certain people come here while they're alive too! In your case, Ryan, you suffered a serious injury, so maybe you were brought here prematurely!"

"That means we can send him back, right?" Flannery stood up.

"Maybe, but the only way I can be certain is if we wait." Giri said

"It'll be fine, I heal very quickly from injuries, and with those beds I made, I'll be at full HP in an hour and a half tops." I said. I couldn't help but be hopeful.

"Double that." Giri groaned. "Your core was damaged in the process remember, that'll have to heal up first."

"Fine!" I shouted. "I'll wait for triple the time if need be! I just want to get back to my family."


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
324 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 324

Donate
Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:44 pm
View Likes
Evander wrote a review...



Hello, dark!

Raven here for a review! Now, I have no read the previous chapters, so I apologize if this review is not the best. This is going to be my take on what happened and a few nitpicks. Okay? Let's go!

So, I am guessing that Jake and Karen and the "bad guys" trying to trifle with the "good guys" plans. However, they sound so... bad. I hope making Jake and Karen seem very evil is the plan. Just the line where Jake would let Karen kill one of the kids... *shivers*

Hm... I was confused by the uses of "I" for a few minutes, then I realized that Ryan is the main character. However, the third person view of Jake and Karen was cool, giving the reader a better perspective that they wouldn't see otherwise, because the author is afraid to step out of the box. :D

I do have a question (this is because I am a new reader...) are the characters themselves Pokemon, or are they using Pokemon? I'm a little confused on that part of the story.

Even though I don't know any of these characters, I immediately felt relieved when Ryan was not dead. I had thought a main character was killed for a minute!

Hey, why don't e go to their home and see if we find 'em there, huh?"

Correction: he. Also, I love the use of "'em." Gives the character a... human touch.

"Do you know where are they?" Flannery asked showing me her screen.

That sounds a little off (to me, at least). Maybe: Do you know where they are?

Even though I am just jumping in, I already have an idea of the plot and what is going on! Good job! I hope to see more from you and I am going off to review the next chapter!

Rae,




User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 115
Reviews: 44

Donate
Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:17 pm
SkyeWalker wrote a review...



Hello! Zhia here for a Helpful (hopefully) Review! Let's get started, shall we? :D

(side note: I have read one of the other chapters, but not all of them, so don't get mad if I get some of the facts wrong.)

First of all, as I have said before, I love your story. You have an AMAZING plot, enough information in your chapters to let me know what is going on, and incredible characters. I can tell what's going on, which is a really good thing since I have only read one of the previous chapters. :D

Next, nitpicks. I might have told you this, but I hate nitpicking, it makes me feel like my mother ( :/ ). But I have to do it, right? So here I go.

"...toward where she last shaw Karen and I, careful stepping over..."

Oops! Two in this one! First, 'shaw' should be 'saw' and 'careful' should be 'carefully'. But you already knew that, right? :)

Next...

"...Why defend this family, when you can jus come..."

'jus' should be 'just'. But again, you probably already knew that.

That's it! That's all I have for you! This is a good story, please continue it! Have a GREAT rest of the review day and thanks SO MUCH for an incredible read! Nice job,

Zhia


This review was brought to you by Team Black!




dark says...


Thanks for the review, enemy soldier. And to elaborate on Jake and Karen.. They're like, semi-professionals. They like to have fun, while causing their version of chaos, which, I'll admit, makes them to tad overrated. I try, I really do, but it's the design I came up with. Still glad you liked it.



Zhia says...


You're welcome! Glad to FINALLY help you out of the Green Room!



User avatar
293 Reviews


Points: 17344
Reviews: 293

Donate
Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:48 am
BrumalHunter says...



This seems like a really interesting story and it's about my favourite anime series, so I shall review it later - from the beginning.




User avatar
1334 Reviews


Points: 25864
Reviews: 1334

Donate
Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:23 pm
Hannah wrote a review...



Did you think I wouldn't notice you'd posted a new chapter? ;) You should PM me or let me know on my wall when you do! Unless you're secretly tired of my reviews. o_o Oh no...

So, here are my thoughts as I'm reading through.

1. I'm not going to repeat my thoughts on talking about things that Ryan couldn't have known to be happening in regular-type narration, haha. Just know I was thinking about it again.

2.

"He did most it though.


What's this mean? Did you mean to write "He did most of it though?" If so, you should have Karen explain how it was mostly Ryan's doing, 'cause she doesn't really mention that in the rest of her dialogue.

3.
that useless planet you created because of a dare or some crap.


Ahhh! New information coming out! A new character with lots of knowledge to help me learn a little bit more about what's going on! I hope we spend a lot of time with this Giri character, and get a big shift in our understanding + the goal of the story. This seems like a good time, what with important characters half-dying and all. ;)

4.
infrastructure


Um! Definition: the basic physical and organizational structures and facilities (e.g., buildings, roads, and power supplies) needed for the operation of a society or enterprise.

I don't think that's what you meant! Probably just say "those foundations" (like the foundation of the building) or even more simply "those walls ain't gonna hold forever".

5.
"It Jason okay?" She asked.


* is

6. I also like this image of Flannery in the Distortion Space place. I also like that she was waiting for Ryan to talk to her. I love the contrast of this calm, timeless feeling with the very important, dangerous, tense battle that's going on in the "Overworld". Lovely choice.

7. I think it's a little strange for Giri to say "certain people" can come here when they're still alive. Can other people come here when they're still alive? Otherwise, is it just Ryan because he is SUPER special?? Do you think the whole Distorion Realm gives people a chance to slowly heal? I'd like to learn more about it.

I hope these thoughts are helpful to you, Dark!
Good luck and always keep writing! :)

Hannah




dark says...


I will never be tired of your reviews Hannah :)



Hannah says...


<3 And I will never be tired of your writing, Dark!!



User avatar
213 Reviews


Points: 150
Reviews: 213

Donate
Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:26 pm
dark says...



Is the quality of my chapters getting worse? I need to end this season soon. Dammit Jake and Karen, give up already!





Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
— -Apple Inc.