Silverfish

by Arcticus

I live off paper,
I eat holes into abandoned books
while you lock them away
and call it a library - your precious library.
You don't know the taste of these texts
like I do.

EmeraldEyes wrote a review...

Heeeeey.

I will say from the start that silverfish are a menace XD

Silverfish are to books as moths are to clothes.

I live off paper,
I eat holes into abandoned books
while you lock them away

I get the whole message of this work as being: PROTECT YOUR LIBRARY! *giggles*
But aside from me joking around, there's actually a nice little moral behind the words here.

Also, the end line of the work sounds very menacing:

You don't know the taste of these texts
like I do.

You personify the silverfish and make it your character. That's quite ingenious.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:38 am
ScarletDreams14 wrote a review...

Hey there! Scarlet here to review.

Yeah, yeah I know. Review day is over but I just can't help myself!

Nitpicks first...

- None, great work!

Very inspirational, short but meaningful in my mind.

Basically, you can read a text but not understand the full meaning. Reminds me of myself, sometimes I read poems or stories and I'm so focused on the mistakes that I miss the meaning.

It's rather sad actually, anyways good job and keep writing!

High five! Or not...

Sincerely, Scarlet; Reader, Writer, and Reviewer

Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:39 am
eleutheromania wrote a review...

This was perfect! I LOVE it SO much. I've always felt so much more personally inclined to my library, being angry when people tore pages or spilled food on the binding books and never bothered to do anything to give back to something that gives so much. I love this poem and your tenacious adoration of books and libraries. Keep writing pieces like this, pieces a person can fit in their pocket and pull out when strength for something is needed. :) Great job.

Vervain wrote a review...

Hello! I'd like to start off by saying that I really do enjoy reading poetry from alternate perspectives than the usual human speaker, and it's quite interesting to get a silverfish's view on the matter.

It's quite intriguing to think of a silverfish, which literally consumes the literature, as compared to a human, who does so metaphorically - it's of course always interesting to think about the waste of knowledge when books are locked away and not brought to light, and when someone puts down a book for so long that they forget about it, and the bugs are more likely to show a renewed interest in it than they are. I view it as always a sad thing when a book dies, especially at the hands of insects, no matter how many new lives will be sustained by its pages - I am not a fan of insects.

I do think that a bit more emphasis would have made this poem hit the mark exactly for me, rather than me feeling like it was wonderful but could have been improved in the very slightest. I think perhaps a bit of emphasis on the repetition, "your precious library", would have given it the properly scornful feel that I'm reading out of these words. Your line breaks are also a little awkward, and they force a kind of unnatural pause into places where I never would have paused on my own - "these texts/like I do", for example, is most definitely not where I would've broken the line, but it works in its own stilted kind of way.

This poem was very much an enjoyable read, though, and it's a relief to sit down and read something like this after a long night of reviewing.

ScarlettFire wrote a review...

Hey there, Autumns! Scarlett here to review your poetry. ^^

First off, I have to agree with Lumi on the most unfortunate line break. I was mildly amused by it. Secondly, this is short but sweet. Not the sweet in the sugary way, but more the cuteness kind of way? I don't know exactly. Either way, I like it!

Moving on, though. Lumi is definitely right about the line break. Talk about awkward. You might want to move it down onto the next line and reconsider a line break from that new line. In fact, this entire poem could be set out better. The line breaks you have at the moment feel very stunted and awkward, which disrupts the flow and makes it awkward to read. Try reading your poems out loud, and if it's awkward to read out loud, you may need to reconsider the line breaks.

As for actual content. For a start, I like this idea fo writing from a silverfish's point of view. It's an interesting concept, and I feel you could have done this much better, and possibly longer. While short is good sometimes, I feel this might be too short. I'm pretty sure you could elborate on this a lot more than you have, expand on the library, the books, the texts. This last line;

You don't know the taste of these texts
like I do.

is probably the best, and a strong way to end it. I suggest keeping this if you rewrite. The first line is good, right up to the comma, which is good. So, everything inbetween this could be expanded on and drawn out a bit. Even though I like this as it is, you could do so much more with this!

And that's about all the advice I can give you. It's a solid poem, but it feels like it's lacky just that little something. Give it some UMPH! Please, if you do rewrite this, let me know. ^^ I would love to see a revamped version! Thanks for the lovely little poem. I'm definitely hitting like as soon as I've hit submit!

Remember; keep it up and never stop writing!

~Scar.

This review was brought to you by Team Rocket.

Lumi wrote a review...

Hi, Autumns. I'm Lumi!

I eat holes

Most unfortunate line break in history.

You have a pretty solid concept and execution, but everything comes across as very accusatory, and I'm not sure that was the intent. In essence, you're saying "These are the reasons I, a writer and avid reader, are better than you." And that just doesn't work in poetry, personality-wise. I mean, in a literal sense you can say what you want how you want, but as far as it being effective poetry, I think you're way off the mark.

Instead of so sharply contrasting the way words appeal to you compared to how they're wasted on others, why not highlight how beautiful words are / give the reason that they're so beautiful to you. It's not necessarily me saying "this is how this poem should be delivered" but rather a challenge for you to explore the idea for yourself.

So give me a narrative. Tell me why words are so precious to you (and by extension, not me). I think you'll find a more evocative piece in the results.

Arcticus says...

IT IS THE SILVERFISH'S PERSPECTIVE.

Not kind of you to point out that unfortunate line break ^

And yes, I think I can work more on the quality of this, it doesn't seem to me like my best poem now that I'm looking at it carefully. Thanks for your time, Lumi.

Elinor wrote a review...

Hello,

This is quite the interesting poem! It's short and sweet, and I definitely sense there's a deeper meaning here, and I'm not entirely sure what that is. I like the idea of it being open to interpretation, of the poem meaning something unique to each person that reads it, but You're definitely a skilled poet. it takes a lot to leave such a profound impact with so few words, but you've done it.

I'd say the length is perfect, but part of me wants more. It doesn't need to be wordy or overly extravagant, because I think the base that you've started with is good, but I want more detail in the imagery. It's still a little bare- right now, I read it and I see an idea of the theme. I want it to be able to picture it happening. What do the books look like when they're being kept away? Who, exactly is the narrator? Does the first line have any significance? All things I wondered while reading this through.

Best of luck and keep writing! Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

This review was brought to you
by Team Rocket.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:27 am
LanguidLiger wrote a review...

This seems to be a light peice, and I could just let it flutter to the desk, but I like interpretation so Ill give it a shot, although it could go wild. To me this peice seems to be about how we hoard books, layers and layers, into buildings where no one could possibly enjoy all of them, not even the owner. The silverfish are a little more efficient with their usage of the old texts. They eat right through and keep going. I have nothing against librarys and I dont think you do, but even so its a funny eay of looking st humanitys compulsive need to save even if we cant appreciate. That is contextual thouhh. Overall it is a fine poem, the only supposedly improprieties seem to be the allignment of the lines, you may beable to rearange them into haiku paragraphs. Of course there is no problem with leaving it alone. Good work, keep working, and you might outdo the silverfish (:

It is most unlikely. But - here comes the big "but" - not impossible.
— Roald Dahl