Review Quality Contest: YWS Critique Sandwich
Looking to put your reviewing skills to the test? Itching for a fun challenge? Whether you're a review newbie, a seasoned reviewer, or someone trying to start reviewing again, this is the place for you! Your hosts, @Liminality and @LizzyTyler challenge you to use the YWS Critique Sandwich in a review! What's a critique sandwich? Simply put, compliment-criticism-compliment. To enter this competition, your review should have:
- An opening, at least a couple of sentences long that says what you liked about the work.
A body where you talk about some areas where the writer could improve.
A closing, where you give the writer one more thing you liked!
And although we will not have a mandatory word count, your review must be marked as a review by the site to qualify. If your review was accidentally marked as a Literary Comment, please contact a moderator to help you mark it as a review.
How to Participate
Link your review in this thread by 17th September 2022!
How will we judge?
1. The first compliment layer: do you point out something about the work that you like as the first thing or almost the first thing in your review? Starting with a positive always smoothens the critiquing process.
2. The centre critique: do you point out something to improve on in a way that would help the writer?
3. The last compliment layer: do you give a 'summing up' of the work that motivates the writer to keep writing?
4. Sandwich specificity: how specific are you being with these comments? For example:
"I like this description." <-- This is unspecific
"I like this description. It made me feel for the character." <-- This is pretty specific
"I liked this description because it conveyed to me the feeling of loneliness, without the main character having to 'say' or 'think' she was lonely. That helped me sympathise with her more." <-- This is very specific, gold star!
Please also read this article --> The YWS Critique Sandwich It gives more detail on what the sandwich looks like in a review.
Prizes (ooh shiny!)
1st place - Sandwich-themed avatar edit by Liminality + a doodle from Liminality
2nd place - Sandwich-themed avatar edit by Liminality + a haiku from LizzyTyler
3rd place - Sandwich-themed avatar edit by Liminality
Participation - everyone gets 75 points for participating
Honourable mentions (3) - An additional 25 points!
- No copying and pasting reviews (that is, no plagiarism!)
- No submitting a review not written in RevMo (September)
- Absolutely Avoid Review Spam : if you're doing the sandwich right, you're not doing spam
Feel free to ask your hosts any questions below!