12+ Violence Mature Content

Derek’s story-The adventures of Poppy McLain

by vampricone6783

*This is a character from my “Poppy” series. You can read the other stories under my folder titled “Adventures with Poppy and others.” Gacha Club character designs are on my wall!*

Derek Verosisca stared out the window, watching the tree branches move gently in the cold October wind.

He knew not why he was doing it, only that it felt right. That it was better to stay in the safety of his room than to leave for the outside.

Something odd floated in the air. It didn’t look like a bird nor a leaf.

Derek squinted. The thing floating looked like it was headed directly towards him, but it didn’t look alive.

He opened his window a crack, to see if it would fly inside.

Sure enough, the thing had made it its way to the hardwood floor of his bedroom.

Derek walked up to the crumpled thing and knelt down to get a better look at it.

It was a letter, rolled up into itself. By the precise way it was traveling, a witch had sent it to him. There was only one witch Derek knew in his life and it was his good friend, Chloe Thayer.

Derek opened up the letter, curious as to what she had written. As Queen of the town, she didn’t have time to write letters, even to him, so what on Earth could she have expected of him?

My dearest Derek-

These ruling days have grown quite lonely without you. I miss when we were only children, playing games without abandon.

We are much too old to play such games right now. I request your presence whenever you may be free, so that we can walk together in the woods we once played in.

I miss you so much my heart cannot even contain it.

With full, unconditional love,

-Chloe Thayer.

Derek dropped the letter, hands shaking. Chloe was his friend, why did she write him a love letter?

Maybe it wasn’t a love letter. Maybe she was just passionate about her feelings for him. Maybe he didn’t have to worry.

Nevertheless, he wouldn’t come. He didn’t want her to get any ideas…

…………………………………………..

Derek climbed up to Chloe’s window, hanging on the stone walls. Even though she was the Queen, her room was only a few inches from the ground, he could easily climb up them.

It had been three days since he had received the letter. Derek didn’t want to tell his parents about it, because he knew what they would say. He wanted to think on his own, to ponder what would happen.

In the end, Derek decided to come. Chloe was his friend and she didn’t deserve to be ignored. They hadn’t seen each other in a while, so what was the harm in visiting?

Derek waved at Chloe from the window. Chloe grinned, her whole face lighting up. She said something that he couldn’t understand from the closed window.

But seeing the childlike optimism on Chloe’s face was enough to warm his heart.

How could he have even considered not seeing her?

..................................................................

“So why did you write to me?” Derek asked. A few hours had passed since he showed up at Chloe’s window. They were walking in the woods, reminiscing of childhood moments. Many things were spoken about until there was nothing left to say except one thing:

Why did Chloe write to him?

“I need to ask you something.” Chloe said.

She was purposely ignoring his question, but that was okay. If Chloe didn’t want to talk about the letter, he wouldn’t bring it up.

It wasn’t fair to pressure her.

“Yes? What is it?” Derek asked.

“Do you want to be with me? Do you want to be together?” Chloe asked. There was longing in her eyes, wanting in her eyes.

It was just what he feared. Chloe had written him a love letter.

“I love you, Derek. I always have. It’s been the two of us for all these years. You and I, we complete each other. I’m certain of it.”

He didn’t want to break her heart, but he couldn’t lie to her, either.

“Do you want to be with me?” Chloe repeated.

Derek rubbed the back of his neck and sighed. He might as well just say what he felt.

“Chloe…you’re my friend. A sister to me. I apologize that I am unable to share your affections, but tis’ the truth.” Derek said.

Her eyes darkened, her posture stiffened. She took on the rigid exterior she had to take on for the public.

“Chloe? Are you alright?” Derek asked.

Her eyes were so…so dead. Her hands twitched as though possessed by an evil spirit.

Foam formed into Derek’s eyes. It burned, it felt like his eyes were melting.

Chloe’s lips were moving fast, too fast for him to understand. He wanted to cry, but the poison in his eyes wouldn’t let him.

It was her. She was trying to kill him.

Like the vile, chilled fingers of death, the poison traveled throughout his body, bringing static to his bones.

Derek fell to the grass, as helpless as an ant to a magnifying glass.

“W…why?” He croaked.

“Because I’m a monster and you’re my humanity. I need you.” Chloe said, crying.

He didn’t mean to make her cry, he just didn’t love her that way. Did he say it in the wrong way? Did he destroy her? Was he terribly cruel?

If that was the case, then Derek was deeply sorry. He never meant to hurt her.

.........................……………………………..

Derek and Chloe were small children, running in the woods together. They were only a young noble and a Princess, with great admiration from the townspeople, but no trying responsibilities.

Derek looked back at Agnes, the servant. She was the same age as them. Why didn’t she play?

“What are you doing? Join me!” Chloe shouted.

Derek turned around, running towards Chloe. Agnes was clearing the table.

She didn’t see him.

She didn’t care.

.........................……………………………..

Derek didn’t feel any pain. His bones were all fixed, there was no poison froth in his eyes.

All around him were the softest wildflowers, reaching up to a glimmering blue sky, sparkling with the iridescence of the sun’s rays.

Is this what Heaven feels like? Derek thought to himself.

He exhaled. It must so. The air was clear, there was no one else except the chirping birds.

He was free. No more worries, no more responsibilities. Just an infinite field of wildflowers and the birds singing their sweet songs.

Suddenly, vines snaked around his waist, thorns pushing into his chest.

What was happening? Why were there vines encircling his body?

Derek screamed, but no one heard him.

He was pulled into the rough, brown dirt.

.........................……………………………..

Derek blinked his eyes open. Was he dead a few minutes ago? Well, thank goodness he was alive! He was so hungry.

A young girl with glistening skin sat in front of him. He was lying on a bed, in a room with an astronomy tapestry on the ceiling. The girl had red, thick blood underneath her skin.

Derek reached out and pulled the girl close. Her blood smelled like the most decadent chocolate, like cream made to complete perfection. For chocolate was only cinnamon cream.

Derek bit into her neck. After spending those minutes in the field, he could really, really use a drink. His body was an empty cadaver, longing to be filled with life, with energy.

Wait. He was dead. White poison froth had overtaken body, a girl stood over him, the very same girl he was drinking blood from. She wanted to be with him, he said no. She was…

Chloe Thayer!

Derek pulled back, blood still on his mouth. Shock came upon Chloe’s eyes.

He was supposed to be dead, yet he wasn’t.

Why?

“What…happened to me? What am I?” Derek asked. He wasn’t human, for he drank a bit of her blood.

Was he a demon?

“You’re a vampire now.” Chloe said.

Perhaps not a demon, but still a child of demons! Derek had only heard of vampires from stories his parents told, stories of those Unholy.

“A…a vampire?” Derek asked.

His rotten, revolting heart beat with crashing fears. How he was supposed to take the light out of someone’s eyes? To drink their blood as their bodies flailed in his arms? He couldn’t go back to his parents, he was a monster.

He would have to hide. He would never see the beautiful, human faces that surrounded him every day. He’d only come out to kill.

Derek swallowed back the vomit that was forming in his throat. He didn’t want to lose himself right then and there.

“Yes, but don’t be scared. We’re both creatures of the night. I a witch, you a vampire. We can live in the shadows together. It’s alright.” Chloe said.

Alright? Alright? Derek was alive when he was supposed to be dead. He was in Heaven, in a field of wildflowers with lively birds. The humans were in Earth, awaiting their turn to be in the wildflower field.

But Derek would never see the flowers again. He would never join the humans in Heaven. His family would die and he would live.

He’d never hug his parents again, never talk to his parents again, never hear their voices again.

“I…I need to go!” He cried out. Tears formed in his eyes, but he could not, would not, let Chloe see him vulnerable .

“What…what do you mean? What are you saying?” Chloe asked.

Why was she crying? She wasn’t the one who had to steal blood to survive.

Derek walked up to the window, the very same one he used to visit her only hours earlier.

Was it really only hours? It felt like a hundred centuries.

“I’m saying goodbye.” Derek said.

He opened the window and jumped, not pausing to look back.

He had to leave. He had to think.

Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:51 pm

First Impression: This is quite the little tale here. Definitely a story with a lot of sadness spread throughout, many little twists, some of which are genuinely hard to predict but all of which makes sense. Its quite the piece here.

Hmm well this is an interesting place to start here. Just a very simple sounding morning with a rather gentle feel to it with just enough intrigue on that insect situation to make us just a little bit intrigued about what might be about to go down here.

Oooh well I definitely did not expect to the curious flying object to be an actual letter and one that's been enchanted by a witch of all thing. Well that definitely makes things instantly a lot more intriguing to start off with here. Let's see where exactly we're going to end up going at this rate.

My dearest Derek-

With full, unconditional love,

-Chloe Thayer.

Oooh well that's quite the proclamation there from Chloe, definitely something that Derek probably didn't see coming here judging by how that letter is phrased. Well, well, well let's see what that's going to lead us to. Already things are shaping up in quite an interesting manner.

Oooh well that's certainly the last reaction I expected. For both the fact that is in fact a love letter to be confirmed and then for Derek to try and wish it weren't true because it seems it being true is potentially a bit of a problem there.

Hmm well this is a nice decision to see from Derek that despite whatever reservations were there earlier, he's thought to still respect the friendship that they do have and make sure to at the very least visit her.

Well this is definitely very sweet to see this happen here. It looks like she really was hoping that Derek would come here. We're definitely yet to see the whole story here but this is a sweet little start here.

Why did Chloe write to him?

It wasn’t fair to pressure her.

Hmm well this is definitely sneaking in a few questions amongst the general level of sweetness that is happening. You can see there's something a little deeper in here that we're just not quite seeing here at the very surface level conversation.

“Yes? What is it?” Derek asked.

Well it seems at the moment we're heading down a road of horror that's a little bit more of a common one rather than any kind of supernatural horror but well it certainly is equally like to be saddening here. Let's see what this is going to end up causing here.

“Chloe? Are you alright?” Derek asked.

Well that does not seem like a reaction that is going to end well, especially given the fact that we are in fact in the presence of a witch here. Something tells me that this rejection here isn't going to end up being taken too terribly well here at the rate that things are progressing.

It was her. She was trying to kill him.

Oh dear well that's certainly not headed in a good direction at all judging by the fact that this seems to be just a powerful murder that's about to happen here. Although maybe there's still a little twist left here given we're only halfway through the story at the moment.

“W…why?” He croaked.

Well that's quite the declaration. I don't think its going to really be able to justify a horrifying murder but you can see that maybe Chloe here is somehow having to go through a really tough time and the one grounding force she had to keep herself more human just kind of shattered her heart and we're about to see a bit of a rampage happen here.

She didn’t see him.

She didn’t care.

Hmm that's a interesting little flashback here. Makes you think maybe he had another person that his heart was attached to which caused him to overlook Chloe who was the one that was truly falling in love with him. Either way quite the detail to slip in there.

Well it seems we're just going right to heaven from the looks of things so we're definitely entering the realm of very much being dead here although you do have to now question if there's maybe a little bit more to go here because once again there's still a lot to go.

Derek screamed, but no one heard him.

Welp it looks like maybe Death is too kind of a fate for him at the moment judging by that. Whatever monstrousness happens to be within Chloe seems to perhaps be dead set on creating even more pain that just a simple death here.

Well that's definitely gone in quite the direction there. Oh dear. It looks like he hasn't just been killed but maybe even turned into some sort of monster himself by whatever was just done to him there.

Chloe Thayer!

Well that definitely is taking lots of turns there and yup we can fully confirm the being turned into a monster situation. And it looks like somehow the monster is even compelling him to destroy what seems like the friend version of Chloe that's still got humanity left.

Why?

Was he a demon?

“You’re a vampire now.” Chloe said.

“A…a vampire?” Derek asked.

Well yup that about sums up what he's gone through at this point. And predictably I don't think he's going to end up reacting too well to this, this is very much a fate that's quite a bit worse than death here.

Well it looks like somehow we've also got Chloe doing this particular thing to keep him with her now this time as both of them being monsters. I think that does actually make her motivations here even more plausible and that's really quite well done there.

Well I mean that's almost definitely the reaction you expect but I have a feeling its not really what Chloe was expecting by doing that forceful transformation onto him so that makes for a lovely little sort of double twist there in the grand scheme of things.

“I’m saying goodbye.” Derek said.

He had to leave. He had to think.

Well yup that went about as well as one would except and I think poor Chloe has now lost her humanity and her friend now through that particular combo there. And well Derek certainly had his life changed in quite the horrible way there. Just sadness all around.

Overall: Overall quite a powerful little backstory this one. There's definitely quite a lot to unpack and think about her, more so than most of the stories like this I've seen and you can really see that unique characterizations you do just come to fruition even more strongly in a longer piece like this.

Kate

Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:12 pm
PKMichelle wrote a review...

Hello, friend!

I am writing this review mainly to tell you that this was a wonderful short.
The way you were able to make Derek's death so convoluted yet so clear and intriguing was very beautiful, and the extensive detail and descriptions made it so much better and such a fun read.

In regards to the characters, I was really able to understand and capture their personalities without reading anything prior, which is incredible. It's astounding that you can write so well that someone can feel like they know the characters after just a few sentences.

The plot was well-developed as well, considering how short this story was. I felt like I was sucked in just a few moments after clicking on it. It had ups and downs and a ravishing plot twist—all things you really want from a good story. It also got to the juicy part quite quickly and was paced very well, making it even more exciting to read.

It seemed like you had a good understanding of what you were going for and what kind of story you were trying to tell, which is always nice for a reader, but if I had to offer any constructive advice, it would be to hold on to the suspense just a little bit longer and keep the reader on the edge of their seat for as long as possible.

Other than that, this was phenomenal and had a lot of great action shoved into just a few minutes of reading. I definitely look forward to checking out other things you have written, including your "Poppy" series, when I have the time.

Thank you for writing something as captivating as this is, and I hope you have a good day (or night)!

Knowing too much of your future is never a good thing.
— Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief