z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Sometimes I Just

by racket


sometimes

i just

lay here

in my bed


thinking of

what to do


there's a 

whole day ahead


sometimes 

i just

lay here

in the grass


staring at the sky

the clouds


there's a

whole world to cover


sometimes

i just

lay here

on the floor


thinking of

what i've done


there's nothing

left to destroy


sometimes 

i just

stay here

alone


crying

i don't know why


maybe there's 

whole worlds to cover


with my tears.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
193 Reviews


Points: 575
Reviews: 193

Donate
Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:15 pm
herbgirl says...



You know, I just published a poem with almost the same name? They're kind of about the same thing, too... Illuminati confirmed!




User avatar
558 Reviews


Points: 1219
Reviews: 558

Donate
Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:17 pm
erilea says...



Wow, this was amazing. I loved it. I don't have time to do a review but I just wanted to let you know this is lovely.




racket says...


Thanks!



User avatar
476 Reviews


Points: 561
Reviews: 476

Donate
Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:20 am
View Likes
Apricity wrote a review...



Heyo racket, Flite here for a review. It has been a pretty long time since I've reviewed any poetry, I don't know how useful this review will be but here I go. The intention of this poem is not bad, I can see the seed of an idea in here. But the poem itself is disconnected, partially due to the way you've formatted it.

The breaks here feel like they're decorations rather than actual breaks for rhythm. The poem reads choppy and clunky and I have to stop every now and again to go back and read the previous line to remind myself what exactly it is you're talking about.

Let's talk about the content of your poem a bit. In all honesty, I see this as more of a stream-of-consciousness in which you talk about thoughts instead of well, poetry. The poem itself is very literal, concrete and there is nothing wrong with that. However, often, you don't finish these thoughts. And we're left with half of a whole, a seedling that has yet to be flowered.

sometimes

i just

lay here

in my bed


thinking of

what to do


there's a

whole day ahead


Your poem follows the format above.Two lines, one stanza. One follow the other in a progressive, almost mechanical way due to the way the words are phrased. Same rhythm through the entire poem, it's rather monotonous. Let's have a look at the content. You are lying in your bed, thinking of what to do and there is a whole day ahead. Hmm, well, yes that is true. And why exactly should I care about this fact? This happens on a daily basis, what's special about it. What are you trying to convey via this? The same applies to the rest of the poem.

Earlier I mentioned that this poem felt somewhat disconnected, here is why. There is no central theme in this poem, as in the stanzas don't connect to each other. Usually, a poem is focused on one theme and expand on it. You take something small and write. In here, the last few stanzas of your poem don't match up to your first. The tone shifts for casual wondering to sudden melancholy, I get that you're trying to express the loneliness and confusion experienced by you or perhaps the intended audience of this poem. But there is no apparent connection between the tears and lying on the grass, staring at the clouds. Staring at the clouds could mean anything, it's so broad. So what I'm saying is, be a bit more specific and find out what you really to say and how to say it.

I'm no master at poetry but I think the 'show and tell' applies here as well, it's always good to have a balance of both. Imagery, metaphors, similes and personification invokes sharp and poignant emotions that narrating fails to achieve. And most of this poem is told via plain telling. Stating the facts, it renders the tone flat due its lack of imagery. Just keep this in mind for future works. Take a look at this article.

I know I've been pretty harsh in comparison to the other reviews, but I don't mean to harm only to help. If you have any questions or comments about this review, please feel free to shoot me a PM or something. I hope I've helped in some ways.

-Flite




racket says...


Yes, you have! I see where you're getting all of this... I was hoping the poem would convey the different stages of the day, and how it progresses. But, yes, thank you for this review! I was surprised people liked it, so thank you for giving good advice!
~racket



User avatar
305 Reviews


Points: 431
Reviews: 305

Donate
Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:20 am
speakerskat wrote a review...



Andddd, that about sums up my life , we done here ?

Seriously , message me at 1 pm ask me what I'm doing . Laying in bed . It's 2 am right now , laying in bed .

Anyways , this was a really good and free flowing poem . I could relate to it and see the person and their feelings and I love how you repeated the thing about the world ... Nice touch . I'm sorry that this review is so short , how does one critique something so honestly true and raw ? Exactly .

Keep it up
~Kat




racket says...


Thanks! XD I was laying on my floor when I wrote this, just like, 'I do not want to move...' XD Thanks again!



User avatar
11 Reviews


Points: 268
Reviews: 11

Donate
Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:42 pm
Merrysleuth wrote a review...



This expresses the entire feeling of hopelessness. It is the feeling that there is nothing in this world that can possibly bring you joy or that will possibly bring you out of a very unpleasant circumstance. I like the way that you separated the phrases with periods. It makes it look neater and in a way it creates some sort of emphasis. It is really creative, but I hope that you feel better. Continue to write and express your feelings with words. It is a beautiful art.

------> Merrysleuth

Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope through the power of the Holy Ghost. Romans 15:13




racket says...


Thanks! And yes, I do feel better now. XD I like your bible verse, thanks for putting that in there at the bottom.



User avatar
9 Reviews


Points: 736
Reviews: 9

Donate
Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:24 pm
J1ya wrote a review...



Written in the style of a stream of consciousness, this poem perfectly depicts the state of a hazy mind and disruptions faced in thought during raw exposure to life's various stages.

Starting off with several lines, slowly diminishing into broken statements, the poem elaborates the state of one who begins the process of thought with a steady mind, and slowly drifts away into distractions or disruptions from surroundings or from within, as seen constantly throughout all verses, starting from:

"sometimes

i just

lay here

in my bed

.

thinking of

what to do

.

there's a

whole day ahead"

The lack of punctuation depicts the level of informality, as well as the lack of organisation that the brain provides when one is drafting away thoughts.

Moreover, the transition from "bed" to "grass" to "floor" depicts various stages of the day; the latter itself may be a metaphor of various stages in life that render one full of thoughts, yet utterly 'speechless' in thoughts themselves.

Furthermore, the final verses seal the essence of the poem, capturing the essence of the loneliness sketched throughout the poem, the sadness finally surfacing in the act of 'crying,' which is also the predominant element throughout the writing as is finalised by the statement:
"maybe there's

whole worlds to cover

.

with my tears."

This sums up the very feeling of the poem, concisely framing it within one bundle, declaring outright the subtle hints of sadness and innate suffering implied throughout the 'days' (spent in grass) and 'nights' (in bed) spent speculating upon the suppressed feeling of pain that has a cause yet to be unearthed.




racket says...


Dang. XD Sweet analyses! You sound so smart...
Thanks, I guess! Do you have any suggestions for it? Or is it okay?



J1ya says...


I think it's perfect :)



racket says...


Thanks!



User avatar
60 Reviews


Points: 0
Reviews: 60

Donate
Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:12 pm
Vex15 wrote a review...



Hi Racket!

CatLover211 here to review your work! But don't worry, I like it a lot. Hardly anything bad.

Instead of complaining, I have one question.

1.) The way you chose to put a lowercase i- is that intentional? Because if it is, then I don't have a problem with that. Some poets are all about grammar and punctuation and capitalization and more, but I'm okay with various types here.

I can see how this poem could express depression. Migraines as well in a way. I like how you begin some of the stanzas the same way as your title is.

"sometimes
i just
stay here
alone
*
crying
i don't know why"

That says a lot. You don't always have a reason for crying- it could be from many or something could be so personal you couldn't say it out loud. It seems as if you're depressed and in pain during this poem- I hope not in real life!

You've done a wonderful job on this poem, which portrays many feelings that surface from a reader. I really liked reading it! Your tone and mood was excellent all throughout the writing. Congratulations! A satisfied reader/poet! :) Feel free to check out my work under my author name CatLover211!

Happy writing! And I hope you cheer up!




racket says...


XD I'm better now, thanks! And yes, thanks for the awesome review! I feel so flattered...



User avatar
274 Reviews


Points: 3742
Reviews: 274

Donate
Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:49 pm
cleverclogs says...



Yo, formatting tip. In the publisher, press "shift" along with "enter" when making a new line, and that way it won't be so spaced out. Also, you won't need the periods to separate the stanzas. :)




racket says...


Ah, okay. Thanks!




The secret of being tiresome is to tell everything.
— Voltaire