z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Acne

by racket


Acne, acne,
Why, oh why
Do you plague me?
You torture my face,
Afflicts the human race.

Why, oh why
Did God create you?
This is a mystery to me,
Because everyone will see
This horror on my face
That torments me.

You come in pimples,
Blackheads,
And zits,
All of these seen,
On every unfortunate teen.

And when people see me,
They scream:
"She needs some facial cream!"


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 435
Reviews: 44

Donate
Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:14 pm
ivyLeonora says...



This poem really makes me laugh in a way. I'm not sure if that's what you wanted me to feel, but I laughed in a good way. It makes me laugh, because Acne is a big horrible part of a teenager's life. And though many of my friends have acne, I don't seem to get it at all, but this interpretation of acne is funny.




racket says...


Thank you!



User avatar
193 Reviews


Points: 575
Reviews: 193

Donate
Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:58 pm
herbgirl says...



Sooooooooooooo funny!! I laughed when I read this the first time. I can see why you wrote this poem. In the middle, that is a very good comment. Why did God create acne? It serves no purpose except to annoy us!




User avatar
42 Reviews


Points: 1210
Reviews: 42

Donate
Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:27 am
Shiksha wrote a review...



a very smart attempt! the poem is pretty short but it is the shortness that makes it so easy to read. i think you used the word 'plague' a lot of times. maybe that's the only thing that i find odd. otherwise the poem is full of humor and obviously the writer's remorse correctly conveyed about acne. you also specify the self-obsessive nature of the person and what will others think if they see her face. very nice effort!! :)




racket says...


Thank you! I'm currently in the process of looking for a few different words that mean the same thing as plague to fix it. Thanks for reviewing!
~Racket



User avatar
254 Reviews


Points: 11196
Reviews: 254

Donate
Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:25 pm
Sonder wrote a review...



Hi racket! GriffinClaw here for another review!

First thing, this is such a clever idea! I love the ending, and the humor that follows the entire poem. I totally agree with your point of view, love it!

Critique time:
1) You use the word "plague" 3 times. That word is awesome, but you shouldn't overuse it. Find some synonyms to replace it.
2) In the third stanza,

"You come in pimples,
Black-heads,
And zits,
All of these seen,
On every unfortunate teen,"

The word :You come in pimples,
Black-heads,
And zits,
All of these seen,
On every unfortunate teen,

The word "blackheads" does not have a hyphen, so remove that. Also, you should probably end this stanza with a period. It will sound fine without the comma.

For the last stanza,

And when people see me,
They scream:
"She needs some Facial Cream!"

The words "facial cream" do not need to be capatalized because you are not refering to a specific type of cream.

A very original and clever idea for a poem! Love it (and love you, sis!).

Continue writing and being amazing!

~GC




racket says...


I will, and thanks for reviewing. I'll look into all you suggested!
~Racket



User avatar
16 Reviews


Points: 886
Reviews: 16

Donate
Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:31 am
View Likes
gabriellasloan says...



This is hilarious. I love the rhyme scene - it really works and seems really effortless. I was smiling the whole time I read this.
Well done!




racket says...


Thank you! Thanks for reviewing my poetry!



User avatar
47 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 47

Donate
Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:53 am
View Likes
Wonder wrote a review...



This is so FUNNY!!! I started smiling at the first stanza, and by the time I read the last line I was full out laughing!!

My acne isn't very bad, thank God for that. :3 No one likes acne. Period. End of story.

I'm glad you wrote a poem expressing a teenager's problems. I love it! <3

Again, thanks for this HILARIOUS poem (please write more!),
Wonder




racket says...


I'm trying to write more, but my second teen poem was a fail. Thank you for reviewing my poem!



User avatar
1737 Reviews


Points: 91980
Reviews: 1737

Donate
Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:28 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...



Funny, and as a person who is *finally* winning the war on acne, I appreciate this poem. The only thing I'd suggest for improvement is a stanza on home remedies. You know, like that bad commercial for whatever facial injection? Where the kids are rubbing seaweed on their face, or toothpaste, or magnets, or Glo sticks, or all these other weird home remedies that I've never even heard of?

(Toothpaste works, by the way, although some St. Ives is better.)




racket says...


Haha! Thanks for reviewing. I'll look into the stanza on home remedies. Thanks again!



User avatar
40 Reviews


Points: 5696
Reviews: 40

Donate
Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:25 pm
View Likes
darkangel_05 says...



this is so funny! The last line is phenomenal :3




racket says...


Thanks!



User avatar
33 Reviews


Points: 473
Reviews: 33

Donate
Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:57 pm



very well done :)




racket says...


thanks



User avatar
33 Reviews


Points: 473
Reviews: 33

Donate
Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:57 pm
View Likes



hahaha this is very funny. you do well when writing humor, so i tell just after reading this. i am getting your point of view as well. keep going :)




racket says...


I wil. Just now I'm working on another piece of comedy called: " My Humbleness Rocks!" I will friend you, you seem nice. I hope you will read more of my work! I'll read yours!
~Racket



User avatar
33 Reviews


Points: 473
Reviews: 33

Donate

User avatar


Points: 515
Reviews: 1

Donate
Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:36 pm
Hefflinger says...



This was probably the best (and only) poem I have ever read on this site. I hope you make more poems about the trouble of teens




racket says...


I'm working on a new poem called " My Humbleness Rocks!" I hope you will enjoy that one. It includes a few features on how teens need to work on being humble and stuff like that. I'm going to have a teen problem line of comedy poems. I hope you like them. You're the one who inspired me to do so!
~Racket



User avatar
20 Reviews


Points: 276
Reviews: 20

Donate
Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:54 pm
View Likes
starlinks wrote a review...



This is an awesome piece! I like the humor you have included in this poem, and the occasional rhymes you put in. Instead of having commas at the end of every sentence, perhaps you can also include some periods? (Sorry, not a punctuation expert here)

I like how to ended it with "She Needs Some Facial Cream!", but you should also consider not capitalizing every word in the sentence since it disrupts the flow of poetry. And also, perhaps you can split your first stanza into two, the second starting with "Why, oh why\ Did God create you?"

These are just a few of my suggestions, you don't have to go through with it, but it's just something that I thought of.
~starlinks




racket says...


Thank for your thoughts and I appreciate you reading my poem. It's my first poem I've made and I thank you for your suggestions. The things you pointed out were actually things I was thinking of when I was looking over the poem. I'm not quite sure about the period thing, but I'll wait and see if anyone else points that out before changing it. I agree that the first stanza should be shorter, so I'll work on that. Good idea thinking of the flow of the poem in that last line, I agree so I'll fix that. Thanks again for helping me with my first poem, and once I figure out how (I'm new to this sight) I'll try to friend you or something. OK?
~Racket



User avatar
132 Reviews


Points: 2485
Reviews: 132

Donate
Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:41 pm
View Likes
racket says...



Nice work! I enjoyed this thoroughly!

~Racket




Hefflinger says...


This was probably the best (and only) poem I have ever read on this site. I hope you make more poems about the trouble of teens



racket says...


I'll try, and thanks




This is a message to all you out there. You don't have to be the fastest writer. You don't have to write 2000 words in one sitting. But if you put your mind to it and really love your project, you can and will get further along than you ever thought possible.
— FireEyes