z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

Chapter 8 of Princess of the Sea

by lelu


Silira's feet were flying along the canal steps, watching the sea. It was about five in the afternoon. A few of her sisters were near, she could see. Their tails flashed in the evening sun. Where was the ship? There was a black one, a trader in weapons from the south, no, there was a pale one with red sails, a rich merchant's craft from the east, no, there it was, a white ship with white sails, almost too bright to look at.

Corwin was on board the Firedrake,eagerly watching the shore. No one would be out watching, he reasoned. Of course not. Wintress was queen, and Henry had riding lessons, and Silent...oh, Silent wouldn't be there. She wouldn't be. Of course not. Why would she be? There was no reason for her to show up just for some prince who had shown her around Sentrynyl just because he was coming back and had missed her for two months, fool that he was to be always thinking about some girl he'd only known for a few wonderful weeks...those weeks had been the best of his life. Then he had ruined it all with his princely politics. She must hate him. Did she? Maybe? Possibly? Hopefully definitely not? Would she be there?

There she was, silver-golden hair gleaming in the sun, spinning around on the beach. Probably, Corwin reasoned, she was just out walking and hadn't known or...or cared that he was coming back after two months' absence. But he didn't care. She was looking out at the ship. Fortunately, he was looking at her, and not at the sea, or he would have seen the two riskily close mermaid tails disappearing into the crystal-clear depths. Her eyes were more intense than ever, deepening to the deepest blue of the sea as she looked out at him, returning to her.

She narrowed her eyes, trying to make out his face among the crewmen's slightly more tanned faces--not that he wasn't tan himself. He spent more of his free time outside, sailing. She ought to know that, since she had watched him so long. Then bells began to ring all over the city. Everyone was welcoming him home, and no wonder, after his father had been drowned. Silira could hear Henry yelling from the castle. "CORWIN! CORWIN'S BACK!"

She rose onto her toes and spun again, not being able to help herself, even though it hurt so much. She couldn't simply move as little as possible. She simply couldn't hold herself back, couldn't help dancing, whatever the reason. Then she swerved and ran out onto a long stretch of rock, spinning and spinning until she forgot the pain and all there was was the wind and the sky.

On board the Firedrake, Corwin laughed and spun around to face the captain. "Can you speed it up, sir? I'd like to get home as fast as possible." He turned again to face the land, looking at the Golden Palace and the banners flying in the wind, then down to Silira's bright hair flying like a banner.

The Firedrake docked in the harbor fifteen minutes later, the docks lined with people cheering. They really did love Corwin. Wintress, Henry, and Silira had all gotten into a carriage, and Fred had rushed them down through Sentrynyl with only half the usual escort of guards. The three were out of the carriage even before it had entirely stopped. Fred laughed and watched the gangplank thudding triumphantly down on the central dock. Corwin ran down it, ignoring the crowd, searching the docks for Henry and his sister. He didn't expect Silira to be there as well, of course not; she was just a friend and he'd see her back at the castle...

Wintress and Henry! There they were, running down the dock. He embraced them both, smiling and trying to answer the first twelve of Henry's questions about his journey...

And there she was.

She had been really unable to run any more once leaving the beach, and nearly collapsed from the pain in her feet, but she made it to the carriage without much trouble. Henry noticed her slightly strained expression--and when she actually looked as if she was suffering, the pain was serious--and asked her if anything was wrong. She had shaken her head and smiled no. But here she was, walking as fast as she could stand to, which wasn't very fast. Corwin turned and saw her, his bright black eyes lighting up. "Silent!"

He disengaged from Wintress and Henry and went up to Silira, taking both of her hands. "I'm..."

She happened to be looking very beautiful at that exact moment. He could barely speak. "I'm so glad to see you." Her radiant smile, almost actually glowing, told him she felt the same. He faltered, "I missed you. Though that may seem strange."

She shook her head slightly. He went back to his normal, endearing, never lost for words, slightly unobservant self. "Well," he said, turning to Wintress, "shall we go back to the castle? I've missed it. Astrakhan in all its desert glory doesn't compare to the Golden Palace."

Wintress took his hand and led him back to the coach, as their guards flanked them in. Silira took Henry's hand and led him back as well, some distance behind them, as Corwin and Wintress chattered about the plans for his birthday. "You'll be twenty," Wintress was saying. "Look at you. You're a stone fox. You don't have to get married, but--"

Corwin chuckled. "No, I do. Not sure to whom..." Then he said something that would either ruin Silira's life or fix everything.

"Well, there is this one girl."

Wintress glanced at him out of the corner of her eye. "Who is she? I could invite her to the dinner party in a week."

He stopped smiling and looked out the window introspectively, watching the city go by. "I...I'll tell you later."

They were welcomed back to the Golden Palace with bells ringing and trumpets blowing. Corwin nodded to Marge and Tina upon entering, and tossed his cloak in their general direction. Wintress had to run back to official business. "I'm so sorry," she said, taking off his hat and throwing it to Marge as Tina caught the cloak. "I'll have some food sent to you in your room. You're probably very tired." She bustled off with courtiers in her wake. Henry, after chatting with Corwin as he made his way up the stairs, ran off to his riding lesson, which he was very late for. Corwin walked up the stairs without a second glance at Silira, already deep in thought. He needed to think.

Silira went to the kitchens and absently filched some chicken and a glass of milk. The cooks whispered about her behind the steam from the pots, pans, and cauldrons. "Poor thing. 'Is 'Ighness din't even giver a second glance." Everyone in the palace liked Silira.

Silira's heart was beginning to break. Living on land was wonderful, beyond all her most beautiful dreams, but her love of it paled in comparison to her love for Corwin. She still had a little hope, but not much. A little sneaking thought crept into her mind: Perhaps it would be better to die...


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
235 Reviews


Points: 2200
Reviews: 235

Donate
Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:31 pm
inktopus wrote a review...



Hello lelu! Inky here for a review this fine Review Day, so let's hear it for the Red Pandas!

Silira's feet were flying along the canal steps, watching the sea.

I don't quite get how feet can fly or even see. I thought the only actions feet could do were related to walking or smelling bad. I guess what I mean to say is that this sentence doesn't make any sense to me, but I don't have any context so maybe it does make sense.

It was about five in the afternoon. A few of her sisters were near, she could see. Their tails flashed in the evening sun.

Sometimes, I'm a fan of short, choppy sentences. Now is not one of those times. This needs to flow better. Don't just give us pieces of information in simple sentences. Show us that it's five in the afternoon. How? Maybe she's recently eaten supper, or maybe she's hungry for supper. The position of the sun in the sky could also tell the reader what time it is. You don't need to tell us it's 5 when it's much more interesting to show what time it is through description.

You can do the same thing with the last two sentences. I'd say to combine them to improve the flow, and get a little less telly with the description.

She could see the tails of her sisters flashing in the evening sun.

That's a little bit better, right? This is the only time I'm going to point it out, but using that logic everywhere will drastically improve your writing.

Probably, Corwin reasoned, she was just out walking and hadn't known or...or cared that he was coming back after two months' absence.

You've used reasoned twice now. The first time, it didn't make much sense given the context, and it still doesn't this time. Reasoned isn't just another word for thought. Also, using this twice is repetitive.

Wintress and Henry! There they were, running down the dock.

I thought Corwin said that they weren't going to be there. If that's what he thought, then why isn't he surprised?

Everyone in the palace liked Silira.

Like I said before, don't tell us Silira is well-liked. Show us she is. Show us how she's treated and what people say about her.

I noticed that this novel switches between the points of view of Silira and Corwin. You don't really want to do that within a chapter. Since you're doing it in sections, it's not too jarring, but for me personally, I don't want to see that in a chapter. Another, better option, would be to switch POVs in chapters. So have this chapter from Corwin's POV and another from Silira's, for example.

This article might help you decide what to do: https://thewritepractice.com/point-of-view-guide/

Overall, this was an enjoyable read, but there were some major description problems. I hope my critique and advice helped!

If you have any questions or comments, tell me in a reply below.

~Inky




User avatar
109 Reviews


Points: 7955
Reviews: 109

Donate
Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:20 am
neptune wrote a review...



Hey lelu! I'm seeing a lot of your chapters around so I thought I'd give you a (hopefully) helpful review on this Review Day! Let's get right on into it!

The second and third paragraphs of this chapter were honestly a little unprofessional feeling, simply because of all of the 'maybe's and 'probably's and rushed thoughts on Corwin's part. The whole beginning of the chapter felt like an awkward back and forth between Corwin and Silira in the ship and land. It was paced slowly -- and as much imagery as it did have, it was paced much more slowly compared to the rest of the chapter.

Silira and Corwin's relationship is very annoying, haha. It's one of those scenarios where two characters are misinterpreting their feelings for each other. As much as it annoys me in television shows/movies and books, it's a nice aspect to include here. But I have one minor issue: the ending line.

Perhaps it would be better to die...

The idea of this could work and play an effect in the story, but if this thought just came out of nowhere it would seem to be sudden and out of place. If nothing else really led up to this I feel like it would be written for no purpose? There has to be a big issue that might be dragging on that hints to these thoughts, but never really brings them up. I haven't read previous chapters but it would be good if Silira's emotions were shown and led up to this particular thought. That way it surprises the reader yet also makes sense. Again: I haven't read the other chapters so don't leave it up to me to decide this. I'm not familiar with the characters.

The good thing about not being familiar with this is I can give a new point of view to this. I'm assuming Silira is some sort of underwater fantastical species and has now been living on land? When I first came to this conclusion I immediately thought of The Little Mermaid. So many aspects of each reflect on each other. It's a good thing there are differences though; I'm very fond of this Wintress character. I think the other characters besides Corwin and Silira could be mentioned more, in a sense that they are described so the reader can perceive them and imagine them better.

There was a black one, a trader in weapons from the south, no, there was a pale one with red sails, a rich merchant's craft from the east, no, there it was, a white ship with white sails, almost too bright to look at.

Not only is this sentence quite lengthy, but it is telling a lot rather than showing. This is a common piece of criticism, so let me be more specific. The remaining parts of this chapter involve description and showing of things such as appearances, settings, etc. This sentence feels like the author is listing off random things without feeling, hence it is telling. The way you say 'no, there it was,' just sounds dull and boring. I don't have a reaction if the character doesn't have a reaction or emotions to this.

Besides that one sentence, your description was pretty spot on. At points (such as the second/third paragraph) you began to ramble, but the description was adequate. Just make sure the writing can be understood and it doesn't go on and on; that way it is comprehensible and relatable to the reader.

I hope this review helped! If I got anything incorrect since I haven't read the previous chapters, please excuse that! I enjoyed reading this chapter. <3




User avatar
32 Reviews


Points: 2960
Reviews: 32

Donate
Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:38 pm
View Likes
SnowGhost says...



Love this story. I always look forward to another chapter.




lelu says...


Thanks so much!




People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one.
— Leo J. Burke