z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

The Quest for Fire - Touch the Sky - Chapter Six

by felistia


Zoltar stared, fixated on the Queen. He couldn’t believe his eyes. He’d known the Wind Talons must have a Lightning Talon because of the gold scale he’d found, but he would never have guessed that it was the Queen herself.

“Ah, you must be the Shadow Talon,” she said, laying the scroll down onto a pedestal next to her. She got to her feet, her movements purposeful and yet graceful, like a lioness on the prowl.

She waved a wing, dismissing Delareth, who stepped out of the room without a word, the doors closing with foreboding boom behind him.

Zoltar noted that the Wind Talon hadn’t chained him to the loops in the floor, instead leaving him hobbled, but able to move around. He wondered for a moment what you had to do as a prisoner to be chained to them.

“My soldiers told me about you and your Ice Talon companion,” the Queen carried on as she circled Zoltar, studying him with her mesmerizing eyes.

Zoltar held his ground, refusing to cower.

“and how they’d overheard you and the Ice Talon talking about my Kingdom and how you planned to enter it by sundown last night. Is this true?” she purred in an almost silky voice, though her eyes held an iron grip on him as if they were piercing through his mind and into his soul.

Zoltar thought back. He couldn’t remember him or Felistia mention anything about the Wind Talon Kingdom, at least not in a place where the Wind Talons could have over heard them. In fact the day before seemed fuzzy somehow, his mind unable to recall anything specific.

He racked his mind, all the time painfully aware of the Lightning Talon in front of him. Her tail rested on the ground beside her, still, but pointed directly at him, ready to strike at the slightest provocation.

“Maybe you need a little reminder. Our poison can impair your short term memory temporarily if used sparingly,” she flashed her crystal white teeth, waving her tail ever so gently back and forth, “You and the Ice Talon were carelessly taking a break by our river. You mentioned to her that you could only stay an hour or so because you wanted to be well into the Wind Talon Kingdom by nightfall, remember?”

Zoltar felt his scales go cold as he recalled the last half an hour or so before being captured.

They’d flown in without a care in the world, taking no precautions to hide themselves or to be stealthy. The Wind Talons must have seen them well before they’d even landed and had waited for them in the bushes on the opposite bank. They would have overheard everything.

The Queen watched him as he worked it out, a thin stream of smoke slowly coiling from her snout.

“Yes, you know exactly what I’m talking about,” she growled, before a satisfied smile crept over her snout, “Now, you are going to tell me exactly why you and an Ice Talon would want to sneak into my Kingdom. Don’t try to fool me, you’ll find I won’t be so merciful.”

Zoltar nodded with a gulp, his resolve melting under the Queen’s hypnotic gaze.

“Good,” the Queen turned, picking up a small, twisted, metal pick from beside her throne. She leant down to unlock Zoltar’s mouth clamp, the metal splitting in two with the click of the key, “Now start from the beginning and don’t leave out anything I’d want to know.”

Zoltar took a deep breath, trying to calm the shaking running through his paws. How much should he tell her? What would she want to hear and what was irrelevant?

He bite his lip. Maybe the best thing to do would be to start off by showing her the Lightning Diamond. It would explain a lot and would hopefully make her trust him a little bit, enough to stop pointing her tail barb at him.

“Okay…” Zoltar began, wincing at the stammer in his voice, “but, I think I should show you something first. It would do a lot of the talking…”

He couldn’t help flinching away from her as she hissed, her tail lashing, “This better not be a trick Shadow Talon. What could you possibly have that would explain your presence here?”

Zoltar cringed as he held up his paws, “I promise it’s not a trick.” He slowly reached behind his shoulder blade, grasping the two stones nestled under his scales.

The Queen watched him intensely, her tail raised, ready to strike.

“Here, see?” Zoltar placed the stones onto the marble floor, rolling them towards her.

Her expression changed instantly upon seeing them.

Cautiously, she picked up the rolling storm blue diamond which flashed a crackling white upon contact before fading back to a cloudy cobalt.

“You have the Lightning Diamond?” Her voice barely a whisper as she gazed at the stone, clutching it as though it would disappear if she let it go for a second.

“Yes,” Zoltar murmured, relieved to see that her stance had relaxed, “Felistia, the Ice Talon and I were going to return it to you. That’s why we came here. We hoped to form an alliance with you in return for the diamond. At least that was the plan before your soldiers intercepted us.”

“I haven’t seen this in almost ten years. I thought…,” The Queen looked away, her wings sagging for a moment before, with a flick of her tail, she regained her composure. She picked up the other crystal white diamond, examining it as she twisted it around, “The Ice Diamond too?”

She eyed Zoltar, her eyes flashing from him to the floor and back, before she smiled slyly, “You wouldn’t happen to be Zoltar, would you?”

Zoltar froze for a moment. How did she know his name? He nodded.

She bared her teeth in a pleased way, the silver spines along her back flexing, “So you’re the one the Sea Talon and Wisp Talon were talking about.”


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
1464 Reviews


Points: 83957
Reviews: 1464

Donate
Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:40 am
View Likes
JabberHut wrote a review...



Ooooh she's so leadery, I love it! The queen definitely acts like a queen, which pleases me so much 'cause there's a reason she's [still] on the throne. I like that she cuts right to the chase and doesn't hold anything back. She's also not afraid to do the dirty work herself (i.e., threaten him with her own tail) instead of just having the guards do it for her, which maybe is due to her being a lightning dragon, but I like that about her. :D

It seemed a bit silly that Zoltar didn't explain what the alliance was for, but I trust that'll be addressed next chapter. The queen has to be skeptical, so she would ask him why he's interested in working with her to gauge whether or not they're just spies. I also found it interesting how trusting Zoltar is as well, that he just told her straight out that he had the diamond without really getting to know the queen. It sounds like he had an advantage hiding the diamond in his scales, and I probably would have played the field a bit to gauge the queen's perspective in the war and so on, or save it in case he needed the bargaining chip.

Though the chapter didn't go far, I like that we made some progress! We're starting to get into discussion with the queen finally, promising some answers and a plan forward next time. We also get a tease about Shiraku and Emerald's location, so I'm PRETTY stoked about seeing them again. It'd be awesome if they ended up, like, living normal lives with the wind talons because the queen didn't see them as a threat. XD

I love the effect the gem had when the queen picked up the lightning diamond. That is really awesome. I wonder if ice talons would react to the ice diamond, like if Felistia held it?! It's also funny to think that the lightning diamond is named after a legendary race of dragons, but the ice diamond is just for a seemingly common race like the ice talons.

Also it was TOTALLY trippy when she addressed her by name, and I love how you did that. I was like uhhh is he an outlaw now for stealing the diamonds. I don't know why I didn't think of Emerald and Shiraku at first. XD

Weeeeeeee I can't wait to hear more about what's going on!!




User avatar
4100 Reviews


Points: 253913
Reviews: 4100

Donate
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:11 pm
View Likes
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Night(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

Hi! I'm back for another one of these. I think this one is my 21st review for the day so if I sound weird that's probably why.

First Impression: So...I really like this queen. She seems like a perfect contrast to Shiler. You can clearly see that she is certainly a no nonsense queen appropriate for a time of war like the Wind Talons are experiencing but she's also being very humane about it which makes me respect her a lot so some really good characterization there. And oh well Zoltar really should have known better than to be so careless when visiting the lands of a species that is at war so that's on him. At least it looks like we might run into Shiraku and Emerald soon.

Anyway let's get right to it,

Zoltar stared, fixated on the Queen. He couldn’t believe his eyes. He’d known the Wind Talons must have a Lightning Talon because of the gold scale he’d found, but he would never have guessed that it was the Queen herself.


Come on Zoltar you know that the most powerful of the dragons would be the queen. *cough* I predicted this *cough*

“Ah, you must be the Shadow Talon,” she said, laying the scroll down onto a pedestal next to her. She got to her feet, her movements purposeful and yet graceful, like a lioness on the prowl.


Lovely description there.

Zoltar noted that the Wind Talon hadn’t chained him to the loops in the floor, instead leaving him hobbled, but able to move around. He wondered for a moment what you had to do as a prisoner to be chained to them.


I'm pretty sure all you need to do is kill a Wind Talon Zoltar. Just saying.

and how they’d overheard you and the Ice Talon talking about my Kingdom and how you planned to enter it by sundown last night. Is this true?” she purred in an almost silky voice, though her eyes held an iron grip on him as if they were piercing through his mind and into his soul.


Looks like you forgot a capital letter theree.

They’d flown in without a care in the world, taking no precautions to hide themselves or to be stealthy. The Wind Talons must have seen them well before they’d even landed and had waited for them in the bushes on the opposite bank. They would have overheard everything.


At least I hope you learn a lesson from this Zoltar. Don't be careless again.

Zoltar nodded with a gulp, his resolve melting under the Queen’s hypnotic gaze.


Oh No. Don't give in like that Zolar!!

Zoltar cringed as he held up his paws, “I promise it’s not a trick.” He slowly reached behind his shoulder blade, grasping the two stones nestled under his scales.


Good thing that none of those fell off in all the confusion of being captured.

Cautiously, she picked up the rolling storm blue diamond which flashed a crackling white upon contact before fading back to a cloudy cobalt.


Interesting little description there of what the diamond does. I wonder how that actually works. *theories being started*

“You have the Lightning Diamond?” Her voice barely above a whisper as she gazed at the stone, clutching it as though it would disappear if she let it go for a second.


I think that sentence would benefit from having that particular word in it.

She eyed Zoltar, her eyes flashing from him to the floor and back, before she smiled slyly, “You wouldn’t happen to be Zoltar, would you?”


I am having so much fun imagining this moment.

She bared her teeth in a pleased way, the silver spines along her back flexing, “So you’re the one the Sea Talon and Wisp Talon were talking about.”


At this point I can just imagine Emerald explaining all of this to the queen politely while Shiraku throws a tantrum and yells at everyone.

Aaaand that's it for this one.

Overall: Another great chapter as always. The pacing of the story is working out well so far and I definitely agree that this is an awesome place to be stopping this chapter. It definitely suits it very well. So I really like the queen that you have introduced here. Her personality is very clear right from the start and she's exactly like I imagined the leader of the Wind Talons should be. So great job as always!!

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




felistia says...


Thank you for another great review. I'm glad you like the Queen. She was a lot of fun to write. :D



KateHardy says...


Your Welcome!! :D




The capacity of human beings to bore one another seems to be vastly greater than that of any other animal.
— H. L. Mencken