The Quest for Fire - Touch the Sky - Chapter Eight

by felistia

Zoltar stood a few footsteps from the door, waiting in anticipation for the sound of the key clicking in the lock.

He couldn’t believe the Queen had actually granted his request to see his friends and soon. Sure, she’d said she would, but he hadn’t really believed her.

Furious hisses and growls still penetrated through the door and Zoltar could hear the guard from earlier huff in frustration and instruct the prisoner to sit still if she wanted him to release some of her chains.

Zoltar could almost see Shiraku roll her eyes.

He felt a small smile creep over his snout, though the pit of his stomach still clinched with worry. What if it was only Shiraku outside and not Emerald as well? He’d only been able to hear the Sea Talon, which to be honest shouldn’t surprise him. Even the Queen had acknowledged that she was a loud mouth. Emerald had always been pretty quiet.

His thoughts were halted by the hollow turn of the key in the door, before it opened with a soft creak.

Almost immediately, a large, burly Sea Talon barged through the door, hissing something under her breath, before her eyes caught on Zoltar.

Her mouth almost hit the floor, “Zoltar. What are you doing here?”

“Zoltar?” A voice rang out from behind the door, closely followed by a rolling black and red dragon emerging into the room. Her scales instantly change into a pulsing lake of rose pinks and warm oranges upon eye contact with the Shadow Talon.

Zoltar felt his heart swell with joy. They were both here, alive and from the looks of it, doing well.

“What…how… when did you..?” Emerald asked, her eyes shimmering with emotion, “I thought we’d be stuck here forever.”

“They’ve basically had us stuck in a nasty little prison cell ever since we got here,” Shiraku growled, lashing her tail as she went over to stand by one of the windows. She spread her wings, letting the sunlight wash over the turquoise blue scales.

“To be fair, we did move you to cells with a window when you asked. We haven’t been all bad,” the Wind Talon guard interrupted in a seemingly hurt voice. He was still standing by the door, watching the proceedings.

Emerald bared her teeth at him, causing him flinched and hastily closed the door with a sulky, “Fine, be that way then.”

“Of course there was the one time we had to go see the Queen,” Shiraku sniffed, arching her neck to catch more of the light, “She seems full of herself.”

“Oh yes. She was the arrogant one,” Emerald hissed sarcastically, just loud enough for Shiraku to hear, who shot her a dirty look, but didn’t say anything.

“Are you alright?” Zoltar asked, walking up to sit beside Emerald. He brushed a wing over her back in an attempt to consolidate her. She tensed, but didn’t pull away.

She groaned, her scales a seething mixing of more colours than Zoltar had thought existed.

“Not really. It’s been a lot to take in over the last few days. There seems a lot that I don’t know about the world outside the Wisp Talon Tribe. Not to mention that being cell buddies with her is enough to grind anyone’s nerves.”

“Hey,” Shiraku started, but she stopped when she seemed to realize that she couldn’t really argue, “I tried my best. It wasn’t like I was yelling the whole time and I did keep my scales lit up while we were in that dark prison.”

Emerald sighed, “I know. We just can’t be stuck together for that length of time again.” She flashed Shiraku a reassuring smile.

“How did you guys end up here anyway? I left you outside the Ice Talon border. How do you end up in a Wind Talon Prison?” Zoltar blurted, unable to hold it in anymore.

Emerald huffed, hunching her wings, “I was wondering the same thing about you. Well I’ll tell my end of the story first. Then you explain yours.”

Zoltar nodded eagerly.

“I think it happened about five nights ago. It’s hard to tell how much time has passed when you’re almost perpetually stuck in the dark.”

She sighed, “You’d been gone for a few days when Shiraku and I decided we best try to hunt in the surrounding woods. All went well the first few hours, I’d caught some pheasant thing and Shiraku had manage to find some game tracks in the snow. We were following the trail, all the time she was yammering on about you and Felistia and how it was a stupid idea for you to try to break into the palace for the diamond. That’s when four or more Wind Talons sprung on us from the trees.”

She shivered, before taking a deep breath.

“What did they say?” Zoltar asked.

“The lead Wind Talon, he had some gold streaks on his wings I think, said that we had to come with them to the Wind Talon Kingdom and that their queen would want to talk with us. We tried to fight back of course, but they overpowered us. Shiraku did manage to hook a few of them with her claws before they knocked us out with their stupid tails. The next thing I remember was waking up in a pitch black prison with Shiraku yelling in the neighbouring cell.”

“I’m not sure how much time had passed when the Wind Talon took us to see the Queen. She had the same strange gold marks. She asked us what we had been doing on the Ice Talon border and why we had been talking about a diamond. When we said that you had gone into the Ice kingdom to steal it, she seemed really excited and angry at the same time. She demanded that we tell her more, but then Shiraku had to get all huffy and started arguing with her.”

“I did not get huffy. I just stated that she had not right to hold us and that Felistia and the Shadow…Zoltar would come looking for us,” Shiraku interjected, her back spines bristling with indignation, “She was asking to many questions and besides, what would she want with the Ice Talon Diamond?”

Zoltar nodded as he listened, though his mind was at work. So this was why the Queen had known about him. From the sound of it, Emerald and Shiraku hadn’t clarified which diamond they’d been talking about. The Queen could have thought they were talking about the Lightning Diamond.

She must have been expecting him and Felistia to show up near their border after Shiraku blurted and had placed soldiers in wait. She would have also predicted that he’d have the diamond on him, that is if he’d stolen it. When her guards couldn’t find it, she’d probably thought he hadn’t managed to get it. That would explain why she’d been so surprised when he’d revealed it to her.

“Basically after that meeting we’ve been stuck in a cell ever since, though they did move us to one with a window,” Shiraku finished, shooting the door a look.

Zoltar let out a breath he didn’t know he’d been holding in, “Yeesh.”

He paused, thinking, “Some Wind Talon spies must have overheard you talking about the diamond.”

“So?” Shiraku asked, flapping her wings, “It’s the Ice Talons diamond. What would they want with it?”

“You didn’t say it was the Ice Diamond though, did you?”

“No.”

Zoltar nodded, “They must have thought you were talking about the Lightning Diamond.”

Emerald gave him a questioning look.

“It’s a long story,” Zoltar sighed, “It will in part, explain why I am here and were Felistia is. You might want to sit down though. This could take a while.”

Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:08 am

I don't normally point out grammar things, but I saw this and thought I'd point out that this should be console. It could very well be a typo, but I figure I'd point it out just in case there was legitimate confusion! Consolidate is another word for combine. :D

---

D'awwwwwwwww what a cute reunion!! Shiraku is being such a Shiraku here. Actually I REALLY loved the goofy guard you put in here as well. It was such a great way to lighten the mood. I found it hilarious that he tried to defend himself and his comrades by stating they moved them to a prison cell with a window. Like plz, sir, that is hardly luxurious.

I'm kind of sad that Emerald and Shiraku didn't bond much while in prison together. :( Sounds like they were next to each other at first and eventually in the same cell, and yet the only thing that came of it was Emerald being annoyed by Shiraku's loudness. Which, to be fair, is probably true. XD There might be a slight personality clash there. But I'd definitely like to really see that. Relationships change when they're forced to live together for five days, you know? Words are exchanged, answers to unasked questions are revealed, and that sort of thing. In fact, Emerald and Shiraku could come out of that hating each other if Emerald was really that annoyed. Shiraku could be just as annoyed with Emerald's passiveness. Something to think about!

What a great opportunity to go over what happened with them! I have SO many thoughts and feelings about this and idk if I'll remember to hit them all but imma try.

I love that this happened during a hunt. I had wondered about this before, and maybe I had said something too idk, but Shiraku was personally taught to train by Zoltar back on the Wisp Talon island. I don't think Emerald was in the picture yet, but Shiraku got lessons from Zoltar. I'd really love to hear some acknowledgement of this, like maybe Shiraku mentions she did this special move Zoltar taught her orrr she implemented the dive-and-tackle strategy orrr she remembered Zoltar's demo with the crocodile and proceeded to do the same ANYTHING REALLY. It would be a really awesome touch!!

Shiraku is such a jabbermouth omg! I know she can be feisty, but I definitely didn't see her ranting so loudly to Emerald like this. I'm curious as to what triggered her to react like this considering she probably doesn't really trust Emerald much yet. Maybe they WERE bonding as friends during Zoltar's absence?! And prison just ruined it for them?! I'm not sure! There's clearly a story there somewhere. But clearly, Shiraku didn't learn how to be quiet during a hunt because she kept talking the whole time anyway. Maybe the opposite happened then and Zoltar should tell her off in a "did I not teach you to be quiet during hunts??" Buuuut Shiraku should know this as she is probably quiet when hunting fish or whatever so I'm not sure. The way they were ambushed seems a bit off to me. Though I CAN believe that the Wind Talons were probably sneaky as they probably can use the wind to their advantage. Maybe Emerald or Shiraku can mention as part of their story, like suddenly the wind picked up out of nowhere and they were ambushed.

Is there another lightning dragon??? Is that what I'm hearing?! I don't even have words for this I'm juST REALLY EXCITED THAT THIS MIGHT BE A THING??

The confusion over the diamond being mentioned is confusing me, so I'm going to talk it out and maybe I'll make sense of it as I go. So Shiraku had mentioned casually about a generic diamond that someone is stealing, right. That's what triggered the Wind Talon patrol to just ambush them and take them back to the queen. The queen asks about why they were interested in the diamond, and they defend themselves by saying someone went to the Ice Kingdom to steal the diamond. The queen is excited and worried at the same time.

So I.... hm. So Zoltar thinks the queen is thinking about the lightning diamond, when the girls were obviously and knowingly talking about the ice diamond. Why would the queen think it was the lightning diamond that a shadow talon was out to steal? Or to rephrase: Why would the queen believe a random shadow talon knows the ice talons have the lightning diamond? It sounds like this war between the wind talons and ice talons is pretty unknown to other tribes (hence Shiraku not acknowledging this to be why the queen was interested), so a random shadow talon knowing about it seems just as unlikely.

So I'm thinking... the queen thought Zoltar was stealing the ice kingdom diamond. In THIS scenario, the queen would be excited and anxious as well because 1) the ice talons might not have the ice diamond anymore 2) someone has the ice diamond 3) they (the wind talons) have better access to that ice diamond to, therefore, steal it for themselves as a juicy bargaining chip 4) a shadow talon is doing the stealing which could, therefore, lead her down the idea that the shadow talons are involved in this war now as well. (Did someone say World War??)

It's all really food for thought!

I'm soooo happy that they've been reunited here. This is super promising and I really hope Zoltar can negotiate their release. Maybe they'll work together with the wind talons for a bit to ensure their release? The only thing keeping Zoltar and company here is Felistia's safety and everyone's imprisonment, so if they could just... free themselves, then they could be on their merry way and let this war take its course. So I wonder if helping the wind talons in this war would be how they ensure everyone's safety and release from prison. Especially if Felistia has connections to a rebel ice talon group....

Can't wait to read more!!! GAH there's so much happening now, my brain is going crazy with theories!!

felistia says...

Thank you so much for your review. I really love your insights. I'm going to have a lot to look over when I get back around to editing. You have some great ideas and points.

Hi! I'm Knight Hardy here on a mission to ensure that all works on YWS has at least two reviews. You will probably never see this but....Imma do this anyway.

First Impression: Ooooh well that introduces a slightly sneaky side of the queen although it is in fact all within reason so I still like the character of the queen a lot. It definitely shows that the Wind Talons are doing some really good war tactics with these scouts maybe picking up on Emerald and Shiraku. And Shiraku being grumpy the entire time is pretty nice. I like how Emerald is straight up like "1 out of 10 do not recommend Shiraku as cell mate". That makes the whole thing much more real that if you made them become friends over being prisoners. Its just a wonderful little bit of characters being consistent and I love that. Now to nitpicks...

Hmm...that's good to see. Zoltar being doubtful of the queen seems like the most reasonable thing for him to do that's for sure.

I'm having so much fun imagining how Shiraku must have gone on shouting at these guards. I can just picture her being the worst prisoner ever with these guards still trying to be somewhat nice to them especially if that window thing is anything to judge by.

Now to Zoltar carefully thinking that through. He's definitely being very cautious now and not hoping for the best at all which is a pretty true to life rendition of what might happen in such a scenario.

Hmm that is interesting decision on the part of the queen, it looks she never told the guards to let them know why they were being moved.

*doing happy dance at seeing these two again*...I missed them a lot. They were such good characters.

Classic Shiraku reaction.

I feel like that might be a pretty interesting detail there...and it is definitely reinforcing the image that you've built up about these Wind Talons just generally being much nicer people than the Ice Talons were.

That should be to flinch.

Oooh shots fired by Emerald there...saying that the queen was nicer than Shiraku...definitely does reinforce that she is a good queen though which is nice.

At least he tried to hold it in...I actually thought that this would be the first question the other two would ask...guess I was wrong there but at least Shiraku did ask a similar question earlier which made up for that.

I think you should put a full stop there after she sighed. Other than that this sounds like a really nice way to summarize what happened to them. Its nice to see what they've been upto all this time. Also I really want to give Emerald a hug right about now.

*Proceeds to hug*

Oooh is that some juicy foreshadowing I see with them gold streaks...very interesting...something to look out for definitely or...maybe the gold streaks is the reason they were actually taken prisoner...diamonds...diamonds. My theory is that maybe this one was some part Lightning Talon at least and he got very interested in the talk of diamonds.

"I did not get huffy. I just stated that she had not right to hold us and that Felistia and the Shadow…Zoltar would come looking for us,” Shiraku interjected, her back spines bristling with indignation, “She was asking to many questions and besides, what would she want with the Ice Talon Diamond?”

Okay that's interesting. Would Shiraku not know that the whole diamond situation would be a big deal for the Wind Talons who are at war with the Ice Talons?

So he's shoulder is actually a really good hiding spot. That's interesting.

“No.”

Emerald gave him a questioning look.

Hmm so they definitely do not know about what could happen. It should be really interesting to see how things progress from here.

Overall: Hmm so this was certainly a nice chapter. It fulfilled the promise from the previous one so well. I am so happy that we finally get to see Shiraku and Emerald again. And it looks like we've sort of resolved this prison arc somewhat. Now I'm really excited to see what kind of decision the queen comes to or if Zoltar is going to be requesting a bargain with the diamonds of some kind. Can't wait until you post the next chapter. I have a feeling that will have some conflict because this one was mostly just a feel good chapter...and ohh wait a minute...I hope poor Felistia gets out of her cell soon too. Hopefully the queen realizes the truth or at least listens to what Zoltar has to say on the matter.

felistia says...

Thank you for another review. I've got so many possibilities for the next chapter. :D

HarryHardy says...

You're Welcome!! :D
Ohh that's good to hear!

I think that was when I began to realize that reputation isn't everything. I should focus less about how others perceive me and more about what makes me happy. Because, in the end, I have to live with myself.
— Seraphina