z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

can i shake the black hole out of my keypad? [IT response pending]

by fatherfig


ever so often i get stuck in that certain place of thought
where i wonder if it's about time i vacuumed my shingles.
i think i need to dust my shower and mop my bed because
i've been staying planted in one while dreaming so vividly of the other
the water actually crossed the veil; sleepworking isn't a talent but a hardship
even when i've stopped plucking out a thesis, and by god do i hate conclusions
my sore fingers press the computer strings and there i am again.
i haven't typed on my guitar in an hour but it feels like ages;
when can i break the shutters in half and make pasta?
i want to breathe the grass until i regret it, my favorite air freshener;
tell me, when i am allowed to polish my coffee mug and pretend it's a lake?
break off a pine branch tooth brush and stir the kettle;
anymore i only want to burn green wood on the campfire,
and i think it's because the bees are mocking me
they dance less in the smoke & i don't dance at all.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
148 Reviews


Points: 9967
Reviews: 148

Donate
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:52 pm
View Likes
Kaia wrote a review...



I have to say this was pretty silly, but it did put a smile on my face. I imagine a very tired, overworked writer putting these disconnected thoughts on paper and finding in the morning, "Wow, that really accurately describes what I'm going through right now!" It also reminded me of Amelia Bedelia books I read when I was young when she went around putting dust on the furniture when she was told to dust it. The lack of proper capitalization also reiterates the sleep deprived writer as the person tries to get their notes down on paper in a rush before something else sweeps them into the next activity. Well written. Much enjoyed!




Snoink says...


Omg, I thought of Amerlia Bedelia too! XD



Kaia says...


LOL!!!



User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 1976
Reviews: 18

Donate
Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:13 pm
View Likes
HeartPermits wrote a review...



Witty, funny, fresh and complete, this poem was a delight to read!

First, I do understand the tiredness that can lead to the creation of those images but, the way you expressed them, first slow then frantically, gave a wonderful sense of completeness. My favorite line among all this chaos was "tell me, when i am allowed to polish my coffee mug and pretend it's a lake?" - the way small becomes big in this whole too tidy environment.

I think you could have gone even further with the chaos. Interchanged images and expressions did it for me but... but what about going into the grammar or words themselves. Create, assemble two words to make one. Destroy usual grammar (though, the non-use of punctuation was a great choice) because it is fun and you could have!

Eager to see what wits you can come up with next!





[while trapped in a bucket of popcorn] You know what the worst part is? It's not even butter. We're gonna be destroyed by... ARTIFICIAL FLAVORING!
— Blake Bradley, Power Rangers Ninja Storm