The Risen - chapter fourteen

by elysian

Sebastian

An endless gray sky stretched above me, my breathing shallow and sharp as I took in the crisp air. I felt numb tingles through my body, like my body wasn’t aware that I was conscious. I tried to move but a sharp pain in my rib cage made me gasp, leaving me on the ground. I moved my head cautiously, wincing at my sore muscles, and took in the green trees around me. It was all familiar, like the woods by the house.

How did I get here? I needed to move, I needed to leave. I took a deep breath, holding it in as I tried to get up, moaning when the same stabbing pain hit me. I feel back down, and although it was colder out, sweat started to drip down my temple. I tried multiple times until I finally sat up. I looked around again, now sure that this was the woods by our home.

I grunted as I got to my feet, my whole body screaming at me to stop. My vision filled with black spots as I started to lose my balance. I gripped to the side of a tree to regain my balance and vision, and after a minute I was a little more stable. My insides felt like they were falling apart, or maybe they were already broken. My arms were littered with black and purple spots with cuts every so often. I looked like I had been hit by a car. Maybe I had.

The more I thought about it, I had no clue what I was doing out here, or why I was so badly injured. Where was everyone else? Were they in danger? I started walking in the direction I thought was the house, clinging to hope that they were all safe and sound. I don’t know what I would do if they were hurt because I wasn’t there.

The weather seemed peculiar to me. It seemed to have just been hot and humid, with barely any leaves on the ground, but now the air had a bitter cold bite to it and the trees were left naked. I couldn’t have been out for that long, maybe a day or two. The only thing I remembered was arguing with Kaydence...Kaydence. We kissed. I remember kissing her. But it was almost like a dream, not real. But it felt so tangible, like her lips were just on mine.

I shook my head, there’s no way that was real. She sees me as her brother. And what about all those other girls? Those must’ve been hallucinations, I was much younger in those. No, not hallucinations, memories? Had I finally remembered something? And that woman, what was her name? Aria. She was the women I drew constantly. My first love.

Love? It felt like such a foreign language. In my memories, I was two different people. What was I missing? What changed me? My mind was a whirlwind of confusion and insight all at once, it was almost unbearable. But everything froze in place when I saw her. Her brown hair bouncing from each step she took, she walked the way she does when she’s upset.

“Kaydence,” I called, my voice a faint ghost of what it usually is. She turned around, staring at me in shock. Tears stained her face, she had been crying. She walked closer and concern covered my features. Who had done this?

“Sebastian,” she exhaled, relief covering her features. I smiled at her, thank goodness she was safe. My mind started to buzz, I felt high. Just before Kaydence could reach me, my mind felt like it was exploding and my vision went black.

“Sebastian!”

***

I woke to Kaydence sitting by my feet, staring out the window, biting her lip. She was deep in thought, unaware of my consciousness. Another memory, although fuzzy, had come in my sleep. My parents. I wished I never knew. Maybe God was doing us a favor by wiping my memories. All they had brought me is pain in this life.

“Kayden,” I smiled, and she snapped back into reality, studying me with worried eyes.

“Bash, are you okay? Oh my God, I thought you weren’t going to wake up, I don’t know what I would’ve done, where have you been?” she yelled, “Who did this to you? Jesus Christ Sebastian, we were all worried sick about you. How dare you leave me?” She stopped after that, cheeks turning red. “Us, I mean, why did you leave us?”

I smiled with amusement at her, I’ve never seen her be so worried about me, it was nice. “Why are you so worried? It’s only been a day or two right? I must’ve passed out for a memory or something,” I replied, trying to shrug my shoulders but failing.

Kayden looked concerned, staying silent for a moment. “What, what is it?” I asked, frightened by the concern. “Is someone hurt? Kaydence, speak!”

“Sebastian, it’s almost been two months since you disappeared…” She said cautiously, watching intently as I processed. Two months? That couldn’t be right. It was just the other day that we got here. “So you don’t remember anything?”

“No, I just remember…” My eyes went to her lips, lingering before shaking my head, “It’s nothing.”

She frowned, “But-”

“Where is everyone?” I interrupted.

She exhaled loudly, probably deciding not to fight me on the subject. “I told them to let you rest, did you want to see them?”

“I would like to talk to Xander, but he’s probably already tuned in and eavesdropping,” I replied, and as if on cue, a door opened and Xander walked in.

“Sorry, I was just waiting to make sure you were alright,” He explained, sitting in a chair across from the couch where I was laying.

I laughed, “It’s okay, I figured, Kayden, would you give us a moment?”

Kaydence shot a look at Xander who replied with a nod, “In your room.” She gave a pained smile at Xander and stood up, turning her attention to me with one last concerned look before walking to her room and closing the door behind her.

“What was that all about?” I asked Xander, who was now leaning towards me with his hands clasped in his lap, looking at the ground.

He shook his head, “I’m sure she’ll fill you in later. How’re you feeling?”

“Like I’ve been beaten to a pulp, you?” I chuckled.

“Worn. Kaydence hasn’t been herself since you disappeared,” He said in a quiet, serious tone.

I frowned, “She looks like she’s in rough shape, have you guys not been getting any food around here?”

“It’s mostly just her. I mean, we’ve all been worried about you but she took it the worst. She blames herself because of your fight.” Xander leaned back in his chair, looking older than he ever had.

Flashbacks of our fight surfaced, how mad I had been. I felt no anger now, just calm. It was nice. “So, how has demon ass-kicking been?” I asked, trying to change the topic.

“It hasn’t,” He answered.

“What do you mean?” I said, confused.

“I mean, we’ve only killed one demon since you’ve been gone, the day Kaydence met Fra-.” He stopped, looking at me to see if I had caught what he said.

I did, “Kaydence met who?” I pressed.

Xander stayed silent, keeping his eyes on the floor. I started to sit up, gritting my teeth with each stab of pain. “Hey, sit back down old man. You’re not strong enough to be up yet,” Xander lightly pushed me back down.

“I would tell you, but it’s rather complicated and Kaydence wants to be the one to tell you,” He tapped his temple, and I rolled my eyes.

“Sometimes your powers can be a real pain in the ass,” I grunted. He laughed shaking his head and then look expectantly towards the hallway where Indiana walked into view just moments later.

“Uh, hey Bash, how’re you?” She mumbled as she walked over to Xander, sitting in his lap.

“Fine,” I answered.

“So, where’ve you been? Trying to run away from all your problems and responsibilities while you leave us here to fend for ourselves?” She pressed, almost as if it was a casual question.

I began to open my mouth to argue back when Xander interrupted, “Indiana, you know it’s not like that.”

She rolled her eyes, “Sure it isn’t. How convenient he doesn’t remember anything.”

“And what have you done since I’ve been gone? Still spending your time worrying about every little thing Archie is doing and stuffing your tongue down Xander’s throat?” I shot back.

“Hey, stop. We’re done here,” Xander said sternly, staring me down. I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it like that.

“Oh, go ahead and say that out loud, Sebastian, I’m sure Indie would love to hear an apology,” Xander replied.

“Only if she says sorry first, she had no reason to come at me that way!” I protested.

“Yes I did, you don’t care about anyone but yourself Sebastian, and frankly, we were doing just fine without you!” Indie replied, standing up.

“Oh yeah, it sure looks like it! Sounds like you guys haven't done shit since I’ve been gone!” I yelled.

“What the hell is going on?” I heard Kaydence’s voice from behind me.

“This son of a-” Indie started, but Xander stood and cut her off.

“Nothing, it’s done now. Let’s go Indie.” He grabbed her hand and she stormed off with him. It was only then that I noticed Archie and Aileen standing in the hallway, silently watching.

Kaydence sighed, “You’ve been back for a couple of hours and the whole house is already fighting.”

“I didn’t do anything, it was Indie that came at me like some psycho bitch accusing me of shit I didn’t even do,” I said defensively.

“You both sound like children. Can we please keep it together? I promise I will talk to Indiana if you promise to try not to react when she says things. You know she doesn’t have a filter,” Kaydence sighed, walking over to the chair where Xander had been sitting. She looked so worn and fragile, bags under her eyes like she hadn’t slept in weeks.

“Kaydence, I promise you, I didn’t abandon you. Any of you,” I sent a pointed look towards Aileen and Archie, who were now walking into the living room. Aileen gently placed a hand on Kaydence, who then smiled at her in gratitude.

“We know Sebastian, we were all worried sick, even Indie although she doesn’t want to admit it,” Aileen replied gently.

There was a moment of peaceful silence that passed, no one wanting to ruin the moment until Kaydence sighed. I looked at her, raising my eyebrow and noticed her biting her lip, again.

“What is it?” I asked, wondering if this was about whoever she had met.

“There’s someone you need to meet,” she replied. 

-

chapter word count: 1,832

total word count: 24,011

mellifera wrote a review...

hey del! yay it's me I'm back :D finally, right? I had planned on doing a second review for you but,,, obviously that didn't happen lol.

I tried to move but a sharp pain in my rib cage made me gasp, leaving me on the ground.

I can't pinpoint why but "leaving me on the ground" seems like an odd way to put this? I know what you're going for but,, yeah. It just, doesn't sound quite right.

and took in the green trees around me.

This isn't a super huge problem or anything but I thought I'd mention it (originally it was just going to be "well I should HOPE the tree is green"). I heard someone talking about description and how only some is really necessary? Like, describing something that doesn't make sense to someone or something they wouldn't immediately be able to picture. In this case, I would naturally assume tree = green/green leaves. The exception to this is 1) autumn and colourful leaves 2) winter and no leaves. Or, in another example, saying an ocean is blue/blue-green/black/etc according to its surroundings, when instead you could describe why the ocean is different than someone would normally picture an ocean (are the waves choppy and rough? Is it unnaturally still? Is it PINK?).

wow that was long and unnecessary for ONE LITTLE WORD being in there but you know me! I ramble! *finger guns and trips*

One thing that strikes me as a little strange but could just be my nitpicking is how everyone's just like "oh yep our house/home" when they've were like, temporarily put there? I see it more as like a safe house than a place of residence in how you set it up so just seeing them being like "my house!" is a little weird to me. But maybe I got the wrong impression! Who knows! *shrugging emoji but I'm too lazy to find it because my cat is laying on my arm and this is hard enough*

My insides felt like they were falling apart, or maybe they were already broken.

Sebastian's insides: broke
Sebastian's outsides: not really that woke

is that what the kids say these days?

Does... Bash not remember any of the furry hospital?

I don’t know what I would do if they were hurt because I wasn’t there.

Yes, obviously, the WHOLE GROUP can't possibly defend themselves with you there, Bash. This is logic. This sentence makes worlds of sense.

the trees were left naked.

and took in the green trees around me.

DEL WHAT IS THE TRUTH

OH he got brainwashed GREAT that's fantastic. Does this have anything to do with their on/off memory when they die? Are they not really dead? Are angels secretly furries? (i'm so sorry)

my voice a faint ghost of what it usually is.

because normally, his voice is a loud ghost. (coughtensechangecough)

Tears stained her face, she had been crying. She walked closer and concern covered my features. Who had done this?

I mean,, why do you assume someone did something to her??

She was deep in thought, unaware of my consciousness. Another memory, although fuzzy, had come in my sleep. My parents. I wished I never knew.

Two things (just cause they're close together):
1) you don't need to add "unaware of my consciousness". This is kind of like what I mentioned earlier about description but in a different sense. She's looking away and has no reaction to Bash waking up, so it's already clear she hasn't noticed it. With situations like this, trust your readers will know what's going on so you don't end up with unnecessary additions like this.
2) why don't we get to see this memory?? I want to see Bash with his parents??? that's so much more interesting than a girl he used to have sex with tbh (SORRY I know I gotta stop trashing your parade I'll leave you be lol).

ALL RIGHT I know you're worried but lord Kayden he JUST woke up relax for a hot second.

Bash suddenly seems a lot... softer? than before? it's weird I don't know about it. hmph.

francis. ew.

She blames herself because of your fight."

he has,, no reaction to this. ):<

Okay so I kinda wish that there had been some kind of hint to Indie's sudden animosity towards Bash? Like, there was nothing to suggest she was angry before so having them suddenly fight seems super out of the blue? I know she's probably mad because of what Bash did to Archie but like,,, I wish we'd have seen some of that before hand.

AND SINCE WE'RE AT THE END AND I HAD A NOTE HERE okay. Continuing on that last point I wanted to mention this because it's bothered me a few times and I kept forgetting about it? But uh, we have Kayden and Bash as the mcs, obviously, and then we have Xander and Francis who have both been nudging the mcs around and stuff. But we have this whole group of people and it feels like nobody else has much of a personality? I can't tell you the first thing about any of them except the names I mentioned previously. I remember Indiana because I love her name, and Archie because of the Bash/Archie incident, but like,,, I actually didn't remember who Aileen was. I don't think I'd honestly be able to listen them all without going back either. I wish we got more of a chance to see the other characters, I guess? Not even like, a bunch of unnecessary dialogue or anything but y'know, including more of them into the plot and the story because otherwise, why have so many characters if you aren't fleshing them out, you know? (I've had this problem so many times it drives me NUTS)

But other than that, I did like this chapter a little more than the last? We got a little description in the beginning BUT of course I'd like to see more of that. When you describe feelings, idk, I'd like that to be less "HE FELT ANGER" or "THAT HURT A LOT" and more like, describing what it feels like or how they're reacting to it (clenching their fist, hissing in pain, you know, the likes).

okay I meant to end but I got excited by description *cough* anyway.

That's all I have for you today!! I'll try to catch up soon and YIKES the Francis/Bash meeting. That's gonna be a HOT MESS I can smell it.

I hope you're having a wonderful time ily <33

elysian says...

It's so romancy right now I kind of really hate it there's some super cheesy stuff coming and I'm sorry but next chapter is bash's memory :-) Thanks for all the feedback!

Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:06 am
Shady wrote a review...

Heyo Del,

Shady back with another review, as promised. You already know my reviewing style so I'm just gonna hop right in and skip the pleasantries...

The more I thought about it, I had no clue what I was doing out here, or why I was so badly injured.

*suspicious glare* I'm just gonna warn you right now that I'm going to be very upset if he forgets all about the torture or whatever happened to him and we don't get to find out what was going on all that time. The suspense is killing me and I NEED TO KNOW what happened to him, okay? Okay.

All they had brought me is pain in this life.

And, you know, they kinda gave you life as well...

Hahah, I love this so much.

Well, I mean that's actually pretty true...

~ ~ ~

Okay! Another good chapter! I like the tension and the rough reunited scene, but I am seriously going to be upset if he just forgets everything. I am giving you another chance on the next chapter, but no, he can't just disappear for 2 months and then not remember anything at all about it. We need flashbacks or something.

I think that's all I've got for this chapter!

~Shady 8)

elysian says...

*evil laugh*

thank you <3

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:59 pm
Oxara wrote a review...

Alright I haven't read any of the previous chapter's so keep that in mind but I'll try my best!

So I am going to make this a rather quick review *give it's 8 minutes till review day is over* but I can come back over with a more fine comb if you wish.

So my impression-
The main character and character's are believable and have a lot of personality to them. Really well done in that regard.

The imagery was really good. I could see pretty much everything yet it was not overbearing.

You showed us a a lot and told us very little which was really impressive.

The flow was really good I could go through without it feeling clunky between scenes or ideas.

Now my one critque-
My attention kinda slipped during the dialogue I might have been more attentive if I knew the story but still it could be a bit better for pulling us in.

For example
"He shook his head, “I’m sure she’ll fill you in later. How’re you feeling?”

May after the I chuckled you say something like I moved an arm a

conclusion-
This is a really impressive piece and I plan on going back and reading form the beginning when I get some more time. It felt really easy to read and was almost hard to review so that's really good! It was an awesome piece and you should be proud of it

elysian says...

thank you <3

grammar is hard and i dislike it immensely
— Icon