Guilt

by beeyaay

GUILT

Psychopathology results when the environment fails, either partially or totally, to meet one (or more) of the need(s) in the developing individual. - Anthony Stevens

She was walking down the freeway, a straight path one she had walked through several times before yet as straight as it was in the short time she had to get to work, the many troubles she had met on the way was enough for her to bring along some medium of protection. She had a small pocket knife tucked away in the arm of the sweater she always wore but she never used it, she had no apparent use for it then, not until that faithful day.

She was beautiful with smooth brown skin like chocolate, hair as brown as honey and a body as slender as silk. Her innocent pout but fierce experienced looking eyes drew many to her. Boys and men would race to have a speaking chance with her. She only said, “Are you lost? Do you need directions?” and they would leave her after those words, her eyes were cold and her voice unwavering. When he ran up to her that day, she said the same thing in the same manner but she was taken aback with the reply she got; “yeah, I need directions to your heart”.

She would have laughed at the absurdity of the comment but she could only let out a disgruntled humph and under her breath she said, “Talk about lame”.

Then out of nowhere he pulled her back. She looked up for the first time to see the face of her attacker and was angered at the look of triumph on his face. She felt for the knife in her sleeve but before she could whip it out and threaten him, three shadows fell into her view. She looked up to find three others with the same look on their faces. The anger in her grew. She stood firm on her feet and walked to him, red, she saw red.

Slash

And he doubled over in pain, examining the wound on his lower right arm. She didn’t give him time to recover. She pulled him towards her, her left hand holding his hands and the right hand wielding the knife pressed to his neck. The others took a fierce step forward daring her to do anything but she was unmoving, she began slashing into his throat, her threat clear in her eyes. He screamed in pain and begged but she heard nothing if anything she pressed the knife harder till the body in her grasp went limp.

When she pulled away the knife covered in blood and his body thrown carelessly to the side, she raised her eyes to look at three figures cowering away in fear. She put the knife to her lips and proceeded to lick off the blood on the blade.

Sometimes, a man gets tired of feeling – Wole Soyinka

They say a sociopath is someone who lacks the feeling of guilt. Guilt is remorse for wrongdoings, real or imagined. The prejudice of life does not allow for the true identification of right and wrong.

Penance (to her) is the only true solution to the guilt which can not be felt.

Thu May 29, 2014 2:02 am
Hannah wrote a review...

Hello again, Bee.

In essence, I like this story. I think it's very relevant with some current events that have been going on in Florida that are gaining media attention and spurring more and more people to speak up. I mean these events and feelings, the ones you explore in this piece, have always been here. I love that you are bringing your voice to the movement, whether intentional or not. We need more voices saying these things. We need to say them constantly and loudly so that people will not forget. God, I'm scared when I think about this world and what it will take to change it.

Aside from the message, I think there are some things you might improve about this piece.

One is taking a comb through your writing. I'll use your first sentence as an example:

She was walking down the freeway, a straight path one she had walked through several times before yet as straight as it was in the short time she had to get to work, the many troubles she had met on the way was enough for her to bring along some medium of protection.

VERY long and winding. Take a comb through it. Get the tangles out. Make it clean and simple. Try reading this: "She was walking down the free way. It was a straight path, one she had walked several times before. Yet as straight as it was, and as short as it was, she'd met enough troubles on the way that she started bringing along a medium of protection." You have a lot of thoughts you want to get across: the freeway, the straightness, the shortness, the normal-ness of the path compared with the action she's been forced to take: the trouble, the protection. You don't have to rush through it all at once. Take your time. Let your reader melt into your writing. Do this with all the sentences in your piece. Get a good pace.

The second suggestion would be to work on getting the sight of the violence a little clearer. Not so it's glorified or sensationalized, but just so we can follow the sequence of action without any problem. Right now, I'm not quite sure about the amount of space between the woman and the man at the beginning, or how she goes from slicing his arm to suddenly having him by the neck. Lead us through step by step. I know you have it all bursting to come out of your head, so now it's editing time: make it so we can see it clearly.

And I noticed Temi mentioned the quotes in your writing. For some reason, I've always been a fan. I think they serve as bridges to the world outside this fiction piece, and I think they remind the reader that the issues discussed in the story are real and people are talking about them. They bring another bite sized piece of sound from another place in time, and build the texture of the writing.

I hope these suggestions are helpful for you~
PM me or reply if you have any questions!
Good luck and always keep writing!

Hannah

beeyaay says...

awwww! thank you Hannah...i don't know what's going on in Florida.....a little secret about my inspiration for this is; there are a couple of guys who annoy me so much wherever i go because some people just decide to chase anything in skirts even though i hardly wear skirts! so instead of killing them ('cause i actually carry a knife), i chose to rant on making it sound like someone elses story and after that i felt better... :D

beeyaay says...

Hannah says...

Haha, yeah it would be relevant pretty much anywhere for women, and that's what sucks. I'm glad you feel better after writing it, though!

beeyaay says...

thanks :D

CollinWitte wrote a review...

Interesting story with great description! I could really imagine the character after this bit:

"She was beautiful with smooth brown skin like chocolate, hair as brown as honey and a body as slender as silk. Her innocent pout but fierce experienced looking eyes drew many to her."

I was left wondering some things about the character. What was her past? Why was she so guarded, and why did she carry a knife? Who are the men that are always trying to talk to her? What happens next in the story?

The scene played out in my head as I was reading and I could picture all of it, but did not feel like I knew the character. Maybe her personality could be developed more.

I was surprised by the ending. With the title of "Guilt," I was expecting the character to feel remorse ... but instead, she "licks the blood off the blade." Then there is a definition for the word sociopath ... so are we to believe the character is just crazy?

Overall, I enjoyed the story, just felt like there could have been a little more backstory and development. I look forward to reading more from you!

beeyaay says...

thank you very much for the review and i'm glad it made you wonder, that's the goal i was trying to reach, thank you so much!

Mon May 12, 2014 10:44 am
Temi wrote a review...

Wow! Wow! I don't really read stories on YWS but this is.... The word choice is simply beautiful it was laced in perfection and it helped immensely to conjure sensual images. This is your niche! You were crafted to tell stories. The theme is also a very rare theme for writers as many will never want to identify with the "bad guy". It is even more poetic beauty when you cast the character as a woman. Your descriptions are spot on and they make the images in our mind's eye dance; literally! I want more! This is pure beauty. Undefiled and still fresh.

On the down side, your use of quotes by others. For some reason I feel you use these quotes to support your writings. I feel there's no need for that, especially when you put it right inside the story build-up. If you do feel an urge probably at the end or the beginning as you did but not in the middle of your own work.

beeyaay says...

thank you, Temi. why do you have to see through me? *wails* Looking forward to telling more stories then!

The brain is wider than the sky.
— Emily Dickenson