Cursed by Cupid

by beeyaay

_Cursed by Cupid

This is a sequel to Cursed to the Bones; I also felt it needed completing so I hope this answers more questions you had towards it. It’s a story this time, I’m not that good at poems.

She was older now, fifteen, not an underground age. She had to go out, bring in money for him. A cheap whore, she would become even cheaper now. The men used to come in, forcing their way in, she hated it, now, she would invite them in, and she hated that even more. She had to leave, had to go very far away, where nobody would find her, where she would no longer be victim to this his money games. He used her, not just her, she knew them all, and she knew their voices, their screams, each unique, and common, pain-filled, she knew them by their pain.

He told her she had to go out, “You have no fucking use for me so you better get out and bring me money, bitch!” she had agreed, seeing past all the pain he thought she would go through, she saw a glint of hope, shinning light in her forced tunnel vision, she was going out, out, freedom, synonyms of hope in her rugged life.

Once out, she made a run for it. Walking slowly and slowly till she was out of sight. It surprised her about the number of people just like her on stand-by, being picked up by men twice her age. She ran, her feet got sore, she ran, her heart banging against her Ribcage, she ran, till her heart ceased, not pumping any more blood, no oxygen, then blackness.

“She’s been passed out since yesterday”; “She’s a whore, look at her clothes”. She kept hearing voices, male, female. Who was talking? In an instant, her eyes fluttered open, in fear, had she gone back to that man, that hell? The feeling of nausea came back, even stronger. She tried to get up quick, to capture her surroundings. She felt her head spin around as she fell back on to something soft. She was on something soft, what was it? She tried again, this time slowly and she felt something warm around her, she looked down, the white cloth around her was heavy and comforting so was the white bed. Her mind lingered back to the “hell hole” she lived in, this definitely wasn’t it, she had always known that place, all her life, though she had been nowhere else, and that place could never be comfort.

“Awake, are we?” she heard a male voice, it was more comforting than anything, soothing, she could use soothing. She had never heard a soothing sound all her life, a male soothing voice, a mystery, she turned around and what she saw, her heart embraced, freely. He sat on a chair across from her, his elbows propped up and cushioned on his legs as his head on his arms. He wore a bright smile, strong jaw, soft eyes, she could only read right about him, she could only read truth and all the fear in her life had expired. Just this second she felt him, her eyes feasting him, taking in every detail and approving, she didn’t need to touch him to know he would not harm her, she knew very well he wouldn’t.

“Where am I?” she asked, “What happened? How did I get here?”

“I saw you slumped at the back, I brought you in, I’m sorry I don’t know the answer to the other questions”, he said, a sad look in his eyes. “I have to ask, forgive me if I am rude, are you a whore?” her eyes widened at the use of that word, she remembered him using that word on her. She knew what it meant and she knew it did not describe her. “No!!” she screamed her answer, then she started spilling, saying everything, for the first time she had someone to talk to she felt she should say it all.

When she was done, he just looked at her, in disbelief. She stared back, had she ruined everything? Then he smiled at her reassuringly, he couldn’t believe it, she was stronger than he expected, stronger than she looked, there was zeal, hope, strength under those thin arms and pale skin.

His mother brought in breakfast, for both of them, poached eggs; she was hungry and gladly gobbled it down. “This is my mother”, he said when she was done, she looked up to see a small woman, thin, tall and young looking, with his eyes, she smiled. The warmth here was a first and she was happy. He left her and she slept the rest of the day off, waking up to the twanging of a guitar. She remembered his guitar, his smile. She followed the sound as she got up, she remembered this song. Some man, when he came, she remembered his ring tone, the words stuck like magnet to metal, she never forgot it. It was a song of hope and she could hear it now.

Cause when you’re

Fifteen

And somebody tells you they love you

You’re gonna believe them

And when you're fifteen

Feeling like there's nothing to figure out

Well count to ten, take it in

This is life before you know who you're gonna be

Fifteen

She always sang, in solitude at the hell hole. To her, it was the only dream she could hold on to, when she refused to embrace reality, now, she could hear it again, in reality. she could hear the first warmth she had ever felt in her life, he was singing her song, fate was a beautiful thing. Now, for the first time, she felt love, a feeling she could only grasp in her dreams, right now, she felt like flying.

She could hear his voice, ringing clear from the other room, when she arrived she discovered so much, a lot more than she thought she would. This was not another room, it was a balcony. He was playing the guitar; his mother was the one singing. He was there, the man responsible for making her life miserable. She was going back, never to leave again, he sold her out, back to misery.

That night when she came back, she lost her life, he killed her. All those Curses, fed onto other men, she fed onto him twice over. Not the man who killed her, no, not him, his curse was minimal, it was to the Boy, the one responsible for making her fall in love, the one now Cursed by Cupid.

Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:02 pm
MoIIylouise wrote a review...

You had me gripped from the beginning, wanting to read on to find out more about your main character and whether she was okay or not. I felt sorry for her from the start, she's so young.

I didn't notice any mistakes at all through the piece of writing, which is really good.

That last paragraph was really intriguing and got me wanting it to have not ended there.

It's a great. I enjoyed reading it.

Keep it up!

~Molly Louise

beeyaay says...

thanks Molly!

Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:18 pm
Renard wrote a review...

Heggo.

-uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggh-

Ok, I have stopped crying now. This piece is miserable!

Also brilliant.

'Once out, she made a run for it. Walking slowly and slowly till she was out of site. It surprised her about the number of people just like her on stand-by, being picked up by men half her age. She ran, her feet got sore, she ran, her feet got sore, she ran, her heart banging against her Ribcage, she ran, till her heart ceased, not pumping any more blood, no oxygen, then blackness.'

I will quote this paragraph because it summarises my point:
-great pacing
-great description
-great handling of exposition.

I have one criticism to make: Cursed by Cupid sounds a little bit cliché. But I understand why you chose this title.
Sad, but impressive. More! More! More!

beeyaay says...

thank you so much for the review, i can't believe you didn't spot the mistakes even in your quote. corrected it now, thank you!:D

Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:17 pm
Ossum wrote a review...

OK NO! NO NO NO NO!
Why must she die T_T

Oi...made me cry a bit..
Ok, my name is Ossum and this is your review.
So, this is an amazing piece of both imagery and realistic brilliance. Despite the extremely depressing ending in my opinion. The speed in which you convey it all, and of course being a sequel, it was magnificent. As far as technical issues go I did not see much, just be sure to always reread your own work to verify everything flows the way you want and is typed correctly.

And as far as your own style goes, it is very immersing. Which everyone tries to convey in writing, but only a few handfuls ever get good, and out of those few handfuls maybe a few get great at it. So hold you head up high with this piece and be proud. It was an extremely moving work.

But I will say that even though I understand the ending, and its implications. I feel your last sentence was off from everything else. When we hear the song playing, and then the mention of the ringtone, and she mentions that she'll never leave again. I feel like it would have been all the more powerful to have ended it with:

She lost her life.

Having said he killed her gives the reader a good ending, but nothing to cling to. Nothing to say, is she dead dead or gone dead? And you had that through out the entirety of your piece. Leaving us clingers to make us want to know what is happening next. And you should continue to do so till the end. But again, personal preference, and all the same a wonderful piece of the modern dark world.

Ossum says...

Dang...didnt hit the review button...curse you review button...

beeyaay says...

oh, Thank you dear, i understand the confusion at the end, I'll right that! yeah! that button.......*angry*

Ossum says...

Still an amazing piece tho by far ^-^

beeyaay says...

:D :D :D :D

Nate says...

No worries Ossum. I marked it as a review for you!

beeyaay says...

OH!! YES!!! Nate, did anybody tell you you're the best administrator ever???

Ossum says...

:3

beeyaay says...

can you see the improvements/changes now?

Some twenty years from now, users will ask a similar question about world famous Chicken poetry and Google will tell them about alliyah.
— Hkumar