ENIGMA...

by Tanishka

There's nothing to show,

You have nothing to see,

But love and misery,

Abandoned peace and treachery.

Time flies,

We lie

What a mischievous bliss

And a beautiful ,demonic sin.

See me eye to eye,

In you , I see a shadow 

Raising hellfire

What a heavenly glow.

Treachery and love, 

So beautiful

And life so dumb

It is all so real

It is all so unreal.

Cast a shadow on the face of the universe,

There is no light.

Cast a shadow on this verse,

There is no time.

Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:13 am
nanda says...

Beautiful!

Tanishka says...

Thanks :)

JesseWrites says...

I find this on of my favorites. The contrast is very cool. The narrator shows that they know good vs. evil. Most choose a side. The wording made me think. I feel like this is a good poem.

The only thing that needs improvement is the punctuation. ( use a semicolon)
This poem is mysterious. i like that!

Keep it up!
~S.M.Locke~

JesseWrites wrote a review...

This poem is mysterious. i like that!

Keep it up!
~S.M.Locke~

Tanishka says...

thanks for the review

Zenith wrote a review...

Hey Theia! Zenith here with a short review.
I'll start with things you can improve upon and then to what I liked best about ENIGMA. First of all, you need to work on the length of your sentences. Also, some lines lack proper punctuation,
Ex: What a heavenly glow!
The lines "It is all so real" and "It is all so unreal" kind of create a repeated rhythm, although the contrast is good. So maybe you could convert one of them into a question.
Ex: Is it all so real?
It's all so unreal.
You can break "Cast a shadow on the face of the universe" into 2 lines to maintain the syllable count.
These are all small things which you can yourself identify. Coming on to the overall impression of the poem, it has good use of imageries. The theme of enigma has been properly portrayed through proper use of contrasts. It's poetic and thought provoking. My general assumption is that this poem talks about human beings and life in general. As in we are the enigma and this life is an enigma. Or maybe this reality is an enigma.
Keep writing!! :)

Tanishka says...

thank you:)

Zenith says...

Sorry forgot to make it a review.

mckaylaam wrote a review...

Hi there, what an interesting poem! I'm here for a brief review so let's jump right in :)

I'd like to start off with what I did like - my favorite part of the poem was when you wrote "In you, I see a shadow / Raising hellfire / What a heavenly glow". I like the contrast here between heaven and hell, and although the narrator seems to know that what is being done isn't necessarily good, they still seem enamored by the other person and the enigma that is life. I also liked the lines "It is all so real / It is all so unreal" because you have these two definitive/absolute statements right next to each other that make the reader wonder which one is really the truth.

One minor improvement that I think could be made is using some more punctuation when appropriate. I feel like you could have inserted a semicolon after "raising hellfire", as well as after the line "and life so dumb", but this may be more of my own personal preference.

Overall, I liked the mystery that you created within the poem and end it on such a foreboding note with "there is no time". This was a nice piece to read, keep up with the great work!

Tanishka says...

thank you so much

Maybe what most people wanted wasn't immortality and fame, but the reassurance that their existence had meant something. No matter how long... or how brief. Maybe being eternal meant becoming a story worth telling.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality