z

Young Writers Society


12+

Mild Meltdown

by Sylar


I.

There are muffled voices in the other room

She clears her throat

Two clocks

Out of sync

A dull clicking at different times

The air conditioning’s loud static noise

Trudges through marmalade walls and sighs

It is a silence like no others

II.

There is an elephant in the room

Honestly,

There is a dinosaur puppet

There is an old rug

There is a Time magazine teetering

Over the edge

Of a beaten up coffee table

I know they are talking about me I know it

There is an elephant in the room

I am alone


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
862 Reviews


Points: 29096
Reviews: 862

Donate
Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:19 pm
Morrigan wrote a review...



Hello, Sylar!

I gave this poem a like because I really understand how the speaker in the poem feels and because of the way you allow the reader to fill in the blanks, but still create a vivid experience for the reader.

That being said, there are a few things that could be improved upon.

First of all, I noticed that there is a repetition of "there is" or "there are." While these are grammatically correct, they are in the passive voice because they use a form of the verb "to be." So instead of saying "There is a Time magazine teetering," use teetering as the verb to create a more straightforward image. "A Time magazine teeters" is a stronger sentence. This goes for your other images that are preceded by "there are" as well.

Another example would be your first line.

There are muffled voices in the other room


Try using a verb that personifies the voices. "muffled voices creep under the door from the other room" or "muffled voices scurry in from the other room like mice" or something like that. Using a form of the verb "to be" takes away opportunities for more description.

Another thing is the "elephant in the room" cliche. It does get the point across, but I think it would be interesting if the speaker was examining a literal elephant in the room, like the other objects are literally there. It could be a porcelain elephant, or an elephant on a pillow. As it is, the use of it as its figurative meaning allows it to become an old cliche. Take command of that cliche. Let your audience know that you know it's a cliche by turning it into something else. A literal elephant in the room.

The last line leads me to believe that the speaker thinks that they are the elephant. I like this image. Perhaps bring the image of the literal elephant that I talked about above closer to the speaker, like a t-shirt or even a design on a mug that they're drinking tea out of.

While the title works, I think you should reconsider naming it something that conveys more of the imagery in the poem rather than the literal meaning. I think it would make the poem more attractive overall.

Altogether, I really enjoyed reading this. I hope that you find this review useful. Have a good day, and keep poeting!




User avatar
46 Reviews


Points: 891
Reviews: 46

Donate
Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:54 pm
queenofscience wrote a review...



Hi, Queenofscience here for a review. Wow! The part," I want to die. "From coming from someone who has a mental illness this is hard-core. This mustn't been so hard. Like you, i used to self harm. Bare in mind that the therapist probably acted that way because they determine if your really going to hurt yourself. Very good piece. Very strong. I get it, you know.

Keep writing!!! :)




Random avatar

Points: 271
Reviews: 1

Donate
Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:02 pm
queenofsci wrote a review...



Hi, Queenofscience here for a reviw. Wow! The part," I want to die. "From coming from somone who has a mental ilness this is hard-core. This mustv'e been so hard. Like you, i used to self harm. Bare in mind that the therpist probaly acted that way because they determen if your really going to hurt yourself. Very good peice. Very stron. I get it, you know.

Keep writing!!! :)




User avatar
13 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 13

Donate
Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:28 pm



This piece has a lot of emotion in it. Very good description of the waiting room. I have just one suggestion.

When it says "I know they are talking about me I know it", maybe you'd want to say "I know they are talking about me, I know it". Overall, though, this is a very heartfelt piece, so, great writing. I know what it feels like to be talked about.




User avatar


Points: 664
Reviews: 2

Donate
Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:27 pm
OrganicOregano says...



Really raw, really good. The description of the room in the second stanza is tight and the elephant in the room bit is really quite witty.




User avatar
139 Reviews


Points: 5205
Reviews: 139

Donate
Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:18 pm
Biluata wrote a review...



Hello there Sylar! This is Luata here for a review! This is a very heartfelt piece, so please, only take my suggestions with a grain of salt!

The poem itself seems rather disjointed, although I am not sure if that is the effect that you were aiming for, it does lend itself to the poem, in my opinion, noting that I am no expert.

There is a dinosaur puppet

There is an old rug

There is a Time magazine teetering

Over the edge

Of a beaten up coffee table


This entire stanza, I suppose, for lack of a better word, confuses me. It doesn't appear to have much to do with the main theme of what you are writing about and I think that it detracts from the poem itself. I would recommend rewording, or maybe even replacing it with something else.

I look forward to seeing more of your work!
Write on
~Luata




User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 1045
Reviews: 15

Donate
Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:02 pm
flyingwaves wrote a review...



Hey there, the poem you written was good and simple.Mild Meltdown is a good name for this poem .As far as this poem is good to listen but my suggestion for you would be including rhyming words so that the poem will have it's own beauty .Try to add a rhyme scheme in the poem.I feel that this poem is good ,and try to do more poems in your future so that you can become a good poet.
wishing you best in your writing and poetry





A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language.
— W.H. Auden