z

Young Writers Society


18+ Mature Content

A Love Poem

by Sylar


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for mature content.

When I first met her, she smelled like nothing. I was confused. Normally I attach a smell to a person I find myself falling in love with, but this time, nothing. I'm beginning to attach sights and sounds and inside jokes and when she passes me in the hallway she waves at me and I feel alive again. And then she texts me. She loves me just like I love her and it's like she passes me in the hallway and waves a thousand times put together and the next day we're listening to Say Anything and we look at each other and we kiss. She has a smell. Once I walked into her room I realized that smell was her deoderant and her house and I loved it and I wanted it near me all around me constantly and it was our one month anniversary and she smelled like ramen and seawater and we didn’t sleep and I touched her skin and it felt so smooth it felt like everything I’ve ever wanted and on New Year’s Day we took our clothes off and she smelled like rubber and it was so good I needed it again and again and the next day she smelled like tears and her screams left me numb but when I touch her she smells like sex and I thought brown eyes were boring but then I saw hers and I’ve never fallen that hard before she doesn’t wave at me during class now we walk together and she kisses me and her smell lingers on my body and I want it all around me and inside me and it feels so good it hurts and oh god I’m in love with a smell.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
806 Reviews


Points: 1883
Reviews: 806

Donate
Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:20 pm
Aley wrote a review...



Hey Sylar!

I actually really like that this is more of a paragraph poem, though I'm not so sure it was on purpose. I like the way that you're using punctuation too. It really makes the poem roll and flow as you keep going because you hit that point, and just all of the periods and commas and everything are gone and you just have to keep reading.

As someone reading it out loud, it might be hard to manage, but I definitely think you should continue to explore that aspect of poetry. You're doing a good job with it.

Overall, I feel like there was a little bit of repetition in this poem that could have been eliminated. Like we hear about the waving a few times too close together in my opinion, but I really like the repetition of the smells because that's really what this poem focuses around. So the smells repetition is good, the waving repetition, I'm not exactly sure that's an integral part of the story so it doesn't strike me as something that bears repeating as often as you do, which isn't very often as it is.

I think you might get some better results for the overall emotional content of the poem if you played with making it paragraphs, rather than a paragraph, because there is definitely a break in this poem and I think giving the reader a chance to visually pause would be good considering the length of "this text might be too much for a single kindle page" sort of rule of thumb. Now that's completely up to you, but I think it's something you might want to consider.

Overall, I really like how you handled a love poem because it's unique to you and expresses your situation, not the situation of anyone else. To me Poetry should be about that, about an individual experience which is relatable to a whole. Here, you're grasping onto smell rather than sight which is something we all recognize and understand just as a function of being human. We recognize the smell of home, and here, you're recognizing the smell of a boyfriend* (I think the description said he was your girlfriend at the time but is now your boyfriend so I'm going to go with boyfriend and he) and I really enjoy that aspect of your poetry.

You should be somewhat careful to follow along with general grammar closer to the top of the poem like you are, however. I think you're missing some commas in places I'd expect them, and since "Say Anything" is a song, it should be in quotation marks.

"Normally I attach a smell to a person I find myself falling in love with, but this time, nothing" Here, after "Normally" should have a comma.

So overall I love the stream of conscience you've got going on in this poem and the flow that you sort of get into a rolling beat. Keep it up!




Sylar says...


Thank you so much for this review!



User avatar
417 Reviews


Points: 500
Reviews: 417

Donate
Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:54 am
View Likes
Willard wrote a review...



Hey, yo, Sylar! Strange on this kind of interesting Thursday night and I have a review for you!

>Poetry, romantic, teen fiction

Okay, so that about sets it up. This oozed with mushy gushy romantic feelies, which is a turn-off for some people when it comes to poetry. I didn't mind it that much. I respect when someone has their own feelings and like to express it. It would be ridiculous to trash love like this when someone is happy. I'm going to critique the poem itself.

This didn't feel like a poem. It felt more like a blogpost, something that shouldn't be posted under Poetry. I'll explain more, but basically this is stream of consciousness, a rant/heart exposé and that's it. You didn't format it to be presented like an average poem. There are some sentences that go on for miles. I'm uncertain on what the work really should be. Let's get into this, shall we?

When I first met her, she smelled like nothing. I was confused. Normally I attach a smell to a person I find myself falling in love with, but this time, nothing. I'm beginning to attach sights and sounds and inside jokes and when she passes me in the hallway she waves at me and I feel alive again.


This was a decent start. You set up the theme in the first sentence, and you did it well. This will be associating the love interest with some sort of smell. But at this point, they don't have a smell. They smell like nothing. That's a good way to set up theme. Have to give you props.

we're listening to Say Anything


DANG EMO KIDS WITH THEIR REAL BOY NONSENSE, BLASPHEMY.

Okay, seriously.

She loves me just like I love her and it's like she passes me in the hallway and waves a thousand times put together and the next day we're listening to Say Anything and we look at each other and we kiss.


This is where the problems start. The sentences become run-ons. You use Ands a lot. Like, a lot a lot. It's a constant grammar problem throughout. That's why, considering you published it as poetry, that it'd be best if you cut it up and formatted it like poetry. It'd make it easier for you, the reader, and the world overall. Everyone will be happy.

She has a smell.

One thing I just noticed that you flip through present and past tense a little bit. Maybe it's confusing to me because I have to read it over, but something just doesn't feel right.

Once I walked into her room I realized that smell was her deoderant and her house and I loved it and I wanted it near me all around me constantly and it was our one month anniversary and she smelled like ramen and seawater and we didn’t sleep and I touched her skin and it felt so smooth it felt like everything I’ve ever wanted and on New Year’s Day we took our clothes off and she smelled like rubber and it was so good I needed it again and again and the next day she smelled like tears and her screams left me numb but when I touch her she smells like sex and I thought brown eyes were boring but then I saw hers and I’ve never fallen that hard before she doesn’t wave at me during class now we walk together and she kisses me and her smell lingers on my body and I want it all around me and inside me and it feels so good it hurts and oh god I’m in love with a smell.


Think about this; this is all one complete thought. 181 words to cap it off. As a poem, that shouldn't be the case. Some punctuation, preferably. Chop it up, present it more formally, and have your emotion/love look neat.

That being said, you do capitalize on the smell here. You wear your heart on your sleeve and you let this person know that they're important, that you do have strong feelings towards them, and that you do care a lot. While the presentation wasn't as neat as one would hope, you deliver in sentiment. It cancels the formality out to the point where the reader could like it for its feeling, or dislike it for how it was made.

Overall, this was a decent work. I enjoy it. Smell and sensory connections and deliverance of theme helped it out. If I could suggest anything, since there is room for improvement, make it into a poem. That'd make it go even farther.

Good job, keep writing, and stay groovy!




User avatar
79 Reviews


Points: 627
Reviews: 79

Donate
Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:42 am
CateRose17 wrote a review...



I love how you put not one but SEVERAL smells and were able to put it into things that we can touch, see, taste. It sent chills up my spine, it made me feel a lot of things. I feel like this could be a type of poetry because it just has this flow to it that, so I'm glad you properly named it the "Love Poem". One thing though, I love how you used the sensations and the smells, you made us fall in love with the emotions, but maybe you could put more about your special person and allow readers to see into what you see in them. Idk if that makes sense, it was just a suggestion :). I loved it.




Sylar says...


Thank you so much! And the reason I didn't add more of what I saw in the person was so that the reader could project who they wanted on the poem



CateRose17 says...


ah! Smart move :)




It doesn’t smell old, it just smells like a bad idea.
— James Hoffman