16+

10. Defense and Old Friendships

by Soulfulwriter

I sit in the back of my 4th-period math class as I and the rest of the students take a math test. My thoughts still on what my sister and I talked about last night, Alchemy's attitude and I rather having someone treat me bad then being alone.

Having someone treat me bad than being alone? I start to rethink what I said to my sister. Because now it is just starting to sound plain crazy. Who would want someone that treats them bad to be their friend? Who would want that person in their life period? It makes no sense, but I guess since Alchemy and I have been friends for a long time, I would give her the chance to straighten up.

Having that on my mind, it's making it hard to focus on the test in front of me. I realize that my best friend's attitude did not really start when we entered high school but when we both were coming out of elementary school and going into middle school. She just started acting different once she got around a bunch of boys. When we got to high school, it just got worse.

Someone throws a glue stick at me interrupting my state of mind and the glue stick hits me in the forehead, tears form in my eyes as I try my best to continue working as a small lump forms. I rub my forehead and hyperventilate in order to keep the tears back.

Professor Payge looks up upon hearing tittering. She stands up and walks around the room; she always has a sixth sense for who starts trouble. Considering it is always the same people causing different problems. She stops at a boy's desk.

"So Mr. Pea." She begins.

A medium brown skin boy with cornrows stops laughing and looks up at Professor Payge with a horrified expression, "Ma'am?"

"You think it's okay to throw things in my class at other students, don't you? And think I wouldn't notice?" She taps her long fingernails on his desk in an impatient manner.

The boy shakes his head, "Ms. Payge, I didn't do anything." Obviously lying to Ms. Payge.

"He did." Cole defends me, once again. Drew throws Cole a nasty look and Cole shrugs his shoulders.

"Thank you, Santiago." She looks at the boy. "There is one witness against you, Drew Pea. I know how they do things in the Youth Group when it comes to bullying. You'll be lucky to even stay in the Youth Group, now."

Drew gathers his things sadly; without another word and exits the room. Drew knows that if he is kicked out of the Youth Group. His father would have a fit and possibly throw Drew out of the house or beaten him.

I turn to Cole, "Thank you." I mouth.

He nods and goes back to doing his work. I raise my hand and ask to go to the bathroom. Having granted the permission and the bathroom pass, I amble out of the classroom and to the nearest bathroom.

Closing the door, I run the water and splash some on my face to try to get rid of the tears that are burning the rims of my eyes. Come on, Sirrah. You can pull through this. I tell myself as I stare in the mirror. The bathroom door opens causes me to flinch, it's Tannya.

"Hey." She greets me.

"Hi." I grab a few hand towels and dap my face dry. Tannya goes into an empty stall, a few seconds later she comes out and turns the water on. She wets her hands and runs them through her long, wavy black hair. Then dries them on her jeans. Just as I am about to leave, Tannya touches my arm gently and speaks up, "Can I talk to you for a minute, Sirrah?"

I close the door. "Um...Okay." I shrug my shoulders and my eyes shift to the left then meet her's.

"The reason why I apologized that day was...." She begins to rub her forearms as if she is cold. "I suddenly remembered you from New Beginnings House."

My eyes that were wondering darts to her eyes. "New Beginnings House? The orphan center?"

"Yes, I was there. I know you don't remember me because you were about 4 or 5 years old. But, we used to play together and I would read to you." Tannya's eyes are beaming. "I didn't remember you until I got up from my desk and looked directly at you. Everything came rushing back to me at once." She looks up shaking her head, she peers at me. "I couldn't believe it was you. It was actually you."

My lips part, not knowing what to say. I do remember bits and pieces of her, but never knew her name. I just knew that she was my friend and I wanted to go where she went. Only when she was adopted, I couldn't go with her. Tears once again begin to burn the rims of my eyes. Tannya steps in and hugs me. I hug her back. "I am so sorry, Sirrah. I really am."

I sniffle, "It's okay, Tannya. It's okay."

We let go and Tannya rakes her fingers through my long black silky hair. "Everything will be okay now." She pushes some of my hair behind my ear.

BrumalHunter wrote a review...

Salutations!

In contrast with my regular, perhaps too detailed reviews, this one will be what I'm calling a "spot-check" - that means instead of focusing on your story, I'll pay more attention to your writing itself. I assume that will be of more use to you anyway, seeing as I'd otherwise be reviewing a story that I don't follow.

Okay, here are a couple of things to discuss, all of them concerning sentence structure. That means you might want to pay closer attention to it in future.
♦ I'm not sure if this is an actual rule or simply the most common practice, but if your subject includes the narrator and one or more others, the "I" comes second.
♦ Regrettably, the second sentence doesn't make sense. The part of the sentence before the comma is undeniably a subordinate clause, which means it depends on the main clause for its meaning. We know this is true because if it stood on its own, it wouldn't have any meaning. However, what should be the main clause is a jumble of many different things. Is Alchemy's attitude what the protagonist and her sister discussed the previous night? And how does the protagonist's conviction of rather being treated poorly than being alone tie in with the rest that was said? All I see is confusion, and if the reader has to stop and wonder what they just read, you need to work on being clearer.
♦ Oh, and I only noticed this while writing the previous point, but you said "treated me bad". "Bad" is an adjective. Adjectives describe nouns, not verbs - that's an adverb's job. Even once you correct it to "badly", I prefer "poorly", since the alternative sounds overused and common.

She just started acting different once she got around a bunch of boys. When we got to high school, it just became worse.

"Got" is another hopelessly overused word you want to use as infrequently as possible. In some cases, it can't be avoided, but if it can, you want to find another, less cliché, option.

"You think it's okay to throw things in my class at other students, do you? And you thought I wouldn't notice?" She taps her long fingernails on his desk in an impatient manner.

♦ Question tags need to be handled correctly, but to do that, you need to know one fundamental principle: question tags are always a negative of the finite verb in the main sentence. If the verb is "did", the question tag contains "didn't", if it's "is", the tag contains "isn't". Keep that in mind.
♦ As it was, your second sentence was a sentence fragment, since parts were missing. All sentences need a subject, as well as a verb that is in the correct tense.
♦ If you had said "he said, obviously luing to Ms. Payge.", it would have been correct. A gerund is verb, so be careful.

"Thank you." I mouth.

The "I mouth" is like "he said", "she asked", and so on. It is therefore what I call a dialogue modified, and those are never preceded by full stops, but mostly commas. (Exclamation and question marks are fine.) You make this mistake throughout the piece, so please try to remember this bit of formatting.

We let go and Tannya rakes her fingers through my long black silky hair.

"Rakes" is a questionable verb here; an animal can rake/scratch/slash you with its claws. I think "run" is the verb typically used in such a case, but even so, people ordinarily run their own hands through their hair. Judging from the context, the friend would more likely stroke the protagonist's hair.

Good luck with your writing, and may you have a lovely review day!

~ Hunter

Carlito wrote a review...

Hello and happy review day! :D I apologize that I haven't read the previous installments of this novel, but it's time to get this out of the green room!

Overall, I think you have a pretty good chapter here. The writing is clean and there's a definite focus and goal with this chapter which is awesome. Most of my thoughts are pretty specific and small. You have a few little grammar issues and some repetition when you don't really need it, so I'm going to read through again and give you some nit-picky thoughts :)

I sit in the back of my 4th-period math class as I and the rest of the students take a math test.

"as the rest of the students and I take a math test."

My thoughts still on what my sister and I talked about last night, Alchemy's attitude and I rather having someone treat me bad then being alone.

"Alchemy's attitude and whether I'd rather have someone treat me bad or be alone."
I really liked how you began this chapter though with this thought process. That's a luxury of first person narration, we get to see inside the MC's head, so I'm glad we got to do that here.

Having someone treat me bad than being alone?

"or" rather than "than".

Someone throws a glue stick at me interrupting my state of mind and the glue stick hits me in the forehead, tears form in my eyes as I try my best to continue working as a small lump forms.

The first sentence is a bit out of order. You have the action, then the result, then we go back to what happened, and another result, and then the implications.
"Someone throws a glue stick at my head and it hits me in the forehead. [Feelings like, it stung] and tears form in my eyes as I try my best to continue working, but the pain interrupts my state of mind."

She stands up and walks around the room; she always has a sixth sense for who starts trouble. Considering it is always the same people causing different problems.

I think you could combine these sentences because they go together and I think it sounds choppy to have them separated.

She stops at a boy's desk.

"So Mr. Pea." She begins.

How does she say this? What's the volume of this conversation? They're still taking a test, so are they trying to keep it down or do they not care about that?

I know how they do things in the Youth Group when it comes to bullying. You'll be lucky to even stay in the Youth Group, now."

This feels a bit extreme. Unless this is something that has been happening a lot (Mr. Pea targeting this narrator) it's not really bullying. I have a hard time believing anything serious would happen (like being kicked out of the Youth Group) after one transgression. Obviously, I'm coming in late and for all I know this has been happening a lot and he's already been threatened with serious action but continued. But if this is the first act of aggression, the reaction is a bit extreme.

These sentences feel choppy. Also, we're in the MC's head because this is first person. How does the MC know that Drew knows what's going to happen if he's kicked out of the Youth Group. I would rather have a bit of internal monologue here about the MC's feelings about this situation - how they feel about Drew getting in trouble and leaving the classroom.

I liked the ending and the conversation with the other girl. Even though I've come in late and have no context, I'm very intrigued by this Sirrah girl and what exactly is going on here. One thing that can help pick up little grammatical mistakes is to put your document either in a different size or font than what you typically write with so it looks completely different on the page. Then read it again or read it out loud. You'll find that you pick up more that way :)

Let me know if you have any questions or if anything I said was confusing! And keep working on this story! :D

Sujana wrote a review...

Now. This is starting to look like something a particularly solid YA book about coming of age.

I will admit, reading through the first drafts I had my doubts as to whether or not it could be done. Racism is a difficult issue to handle, not because it's controversial, but because it's overdone--but once the adoption thing is also included, and some very touching moments such as this chapter is thrown in, everything seems in place and the picture becomes a bit clearer. We'll talk about what more you can do later, but for now, let's look at the highlights.

-"Alchemy's attitude and I rather having someone treat me bad then being alone." Than, not then. We must be careful about that horrendous homophone that plagues our society today.

-"She stands up and walks around the room; she always has a sixth sense for who starts trouble. Considering it is always the same people causing different problems." I feel like these two sentences should be meshed together to be more cohesive. Why is the second sentence on it's own? After all, it only makes sense if it stands next to another sentence, such as the one before it.

-"Drew knows that if he is kicked out of the Youth Group. His father would have a fit and possibly throw Drew out of the house or beaten him." Again, why are these two sentences separated? They only make sense if they are together. Also, one more thing--beat, not beaten. The word 'would' implicates present tense, not a past one.

-"My eyes that were wondering darts to her eyes." Did you mean wandering eyes, or wondering eyes? Because I understand eyes that look around for something interesting to find, but eyes that are...wondering, thinking about something? Not really.

Now, onto the more substantial part of the review:

Your chapters are actually getting better and better by the second. I think we're starting to see an image of what you can do, so let's recap everything that you should think about while editting:

*Your focus--as a YA book, your focus for now seems to be on racism and the problem of adoption. We need to ask ourselves, now, why do the people around her think that her dark skin and the fact that she's adopted is 'weird'? This is 2016, after all. Racism may not be dead, but it comes in more subtle forms. If you want to talk about bullying based on color, you need to a) convince the audience that its real and genuine and b) tell the audience something they don't already know. If you give insightful comments on why racism based bullying still happens, you elevate your work from ordinary bullying parable to touching story on self-discovery.

*Your main character--as of now, everybody else is starting to adopt a very solid character for themselves. However, I feel like Sirrah's still lacking in some dimensions. She would make a good side character. She has her conflicts, her ups and downs, and she's generally easy to root for at a distance. But as a main character, she must also have charisma to draw the reader in, something alluring or accessible. Ask yourself, does she like anything specifically? What would she be if she weren't defined by her skin color? Would she be a fan of ACDC? Would she like any particular sport? Would she sing well? Would she be adventurous? These sort of details are important in making a main character not only likeable to the audience, but also interesting.

For now, that's all I wanted to talk about. I'll return soon for your 11th chapter, but for now, I'm

Signing out,

-EM.

Nothing is impossible, for the word itself says, 'I'm possible!'
— Audrey Hepburn