z

Young Writers Society



Does Clickbait Work on Poetry?

by sheysse


I really gotta know
If using a dramatic title
Will get me more views

"Watch this Poet
TRANSFORM the WORLD"
Or something like that

Maybe this: 
"You'll Never Expect
What he does NEXT!"

Or even just this:
"I'm DYING!!! 😂😂😂"

You gotta love
The internet's obsession
With drama

	...wait, no you dont


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
64 Reviews


Points: 26
Reviews: 64

Donate
Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:38 pm
View Likes
Rosewood says...



I love the idea behind this poem, because it's JUST SO TRUE! (I honestly clicked on it because it was stood out to me, so well done with the title.) The rhythm was okay, but what I really like is how you phrased it without sounding too condescending. The ending? A cherry on top.




sheysse says...


Thanks!



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 73
Reviews: 25

Donate
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:38 am
View Likes
LJF wrote a review...



Very good question! We can all relate to feeling drowned out in today's world of drama obsession and five second attention spans, and we've all been caught up in the rat race that is the twenty-first century. Everyone's so busy trying to be noticed that they don't stop to take the time to SEE. And deep down, though most won't admit it, most of us hate it. It's just so HARD, and you've captured that feeling perfectly, especially in your last line.
I really love this poem, and can't wait to see more of your stuff.




User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:01 pm
View Likes
Radrook says...



I think that bombastic titles will draw attention regardless of the venue.




User avatar
102 Reviews


Points: 1846
Reviews: 102

Donate
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:09 pm
View Likes
TheBlueCat wrote a review...



Hi Shey! I saw this poem and was like, wait, should I click on it? No, it's clickbait... but I want to see what it says... xD Anyways, why do people like drama and clickbait anyways? It makes no sense. But... I'm sure 9/10 people would click on any of those titles, especially "I'm DYING!!!" xD That last stanza thou.. so true! xD




sheysse says...


Thanks for the review!



TheBlueCat says...


'Welcome! :D



User avatar
49 Reviews


Points: 3000
Reviews: 49

Donate
Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:32 pm
View Likes
wakarimasen says...



This poet wrote a poem about clickbait. What he does next will shock you!




sheysse says...


:P



sheysse says...


:P



User avatar
15 Reviews


Points: 159
Reviews: 15

Donate
Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:05 am
View Likes
jessegrey wrote a review...



This title literally made me cackle way too hard! So thank you for that haha. I wasn't expecting for the entirety to just be a play on the title's subject matter, but it was great regardless. All I can think about is YouTube thumbnails when reading this haha. Loved the ending too, and the change in font and how it comes off as an under the breath whisper.




sheysse says...


Thanks! Glad you enjoyed!



User avatar
37 Reviews


Points: 1605
Reviews: 37

Donate
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:40 pm
View Likes
AriannaC says...



Jesus loves you!!!




Love says...


Ari!!! Shoo!!!!!



sheysse says...


*is confused*
Thank though. XD



User avatar
364 Reviews


Points: 15630
Reviews: 364

Donate
Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:14 pm
View Likes
zaminami wrote a review...



Okay. This deserves a review from the great Papyrus the high demon goddess.

First of all, I FULLY EXPECTED to be rickrolled when I clicked on that link. SO FULLY EXPECTED OMFG and I wasn't and I was a little disappointed. You seem to be that type of person who would rickroll YWS lol :/

Second, your punctuation is weird. I know that it doesn't have to do much with poetry, but I do agree that this isn't exactly a poem but it's something to prove a (funny) point. You move to the next line in the middle of the sentence and the first letter is capitalized. I know you did it on your phone (based from emoji use) and phones do stupid things like capitalize when you press enter, but that's really all it is.

Third, people on the internet, when they write an article they don't use proper punctuation 99.99% of the time. Because they're people on the internet :/.

Fourth, I see what you did there on the second stanza :wink: and maybe even the third.

This poem did make me laugh a little and even I admit I can get a bit dramatic. Okay, a lot dramatic. But yes, it did make me laugh. Just like the other poems and stories that are under your "Related Items."

Well, there's your review! Keep on giving me souls writing! - -

Squire Kara R. Stevens of KotGR

Give me your soul.




sheysse says...


Thanks for the review!
(yes, I have actually rickrolled YWS many times, from before you even joined. XD)



zaminami says...


XD



User avatar
235 Reviews


Points: 2200
Reviews: 235

Donate
Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:22 am
View Likes
inktopus says...



Yes, it does.




sheysse says...


Good!



User avatar
57 Reviews


Points: 36
Reviews: 57

Donate
Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:05 am
View Likes
IvoryRose wrote a review...



Sheyren I hope you know that I love your humor poems and you even inspired my writer’s block poem. However,I need more points. So, you know what that means…… REVIEW TIME! *groan* I noticed improvement in grammar and space. No, that the spacing bothered me too much, but yeah thank you. I love nit-picking grammar on poems meant to be taken lightly. It gives me delight.Your capitalize some random letters in titles, but over all not bad. I hope you know that you really are a talented poet and I love your replies. Keep writing! :)




sheysse says...


Thanks for the review!
I inspired you? :o *eyes sparkle*



IvoryRose says...


Yes, wise and noble Potato Lord!



User avatar
29 Reviews


Points: 103
Reviews: 29

Donate
Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:43 pm
View Likes
deleted1967 wrote a review...



Dear Sheyren,

First of all, OoohhoOh.
Second of all, hi XD. My name is Bailey!

This is a really interesting poem, something I didn't really expect to see here on the young writers society, considering it's not really a poem, it's more like something to prove a point about the world. Though I guess that does still make it a poem, just one with a point about our society.

I clicked on this and was like "Wtf is Clickbait" and then realized throughout the poem that I was stupid XD it's kinda right there in the word (or should I say... WRITE there XDXD God I'm terrible. I already made that pun earlier this week).

It's kind of ironic since the example titles you included in the poem would probably never be used as poetry titles, but they obviously grab your attention. And it's true, that with a dramatic title, you get more views. It's more interesting, and it catches you in like a trout strung on a fishing line.

Everything about this poem I loved. It's funny, because I usually have at least ONE thing to be upset with, or think should be fixed. But, I can't find anything even relatively bad about this piece.

One thing I want to share is that I love the ending. "...wait, no you dont" because it's true. It's a statement that makes the reader think "Oh wait a minute... woahhhh" and it's like watching The Sixth Sense and then realizing the dude is actually a ghost and its like waiuadjfsjfgsjg WHATTT. (God, I really hope you've watched that movie and I haven't just spoiled it for you.)

It's so powerful, how the internet is in fact obsessed with drama. It makes lives suck. Some get better because they have blackmail and gossip and what not, but even if you do not believe yourself to be a gossip girl, dude, you are. It's something that is wrong with the world, that I try to avoid, but the last statement made me think because then you realize that headlines or titles shouldn't be what drags you in. You shouldn't look at the name of something and think "YEAH THAT ONE" over something that is probably even better but has a crappier title.

Anyways, I'm just rambling now. I love your point though. i will try to look out for your username in the future. Keep writing poetry!!!

Have a great day/night! (whichever applies to you)

Sincerely, Bailey Matwiiw




sheysse says...


Thanks for the review!

(you totally spoiled The Sixth Sense but I would never watch it anyway xD)



deleted1967 says...


XD XD okay. whoooops




No one is perfect; not even your reflection.
— Chalkboard Words