z

Young Writers Society



Burned 7.1

by Noelle


“Okay. That’s good?” I don't know how to react. Will seemed to tell me in a pretty indifferent way. I couldn't tell if I should be relieved or upset.

Will lets out a frustrated sigh, obviously expecting a different response from me. “I’m trying here, Bryn. I was in the library for the past three hours trying to figure out this code. Unlike some people, I took advantage of the distraction.”

I can’t believe what I’m hearing. “Distraction. Colton was drugged, Will. Not exactly something you can just walk away from.”

“I did.”

“Because you care more about decoding that stupid journal than you do anything else!”

“You didn’t think it was so stupid when you found memories in it,” he retorts. “Stories about your childhood.”

“It's a lot, Will! All those stories...”

“So you chose to help someone you’ve always hated instead of trying.”

My hands ball into fists at my side. “I don’t hate Colton.”

“Yes, you do.”

There's barely a step between Will and me. I can almost feel his body warm with anger. “Well what did you expect me to do? Colton threatened me. I wanted to find out what he meant. And he wasn’t very well off, in case you didn’t notice.”

“He didn’t threaten you,” Will responded. “He just threw out the same insult he normally does. You shouldn't have even cared.”

“Sometimes we have to care about the people we hate, Will.”

“So you do hate him.”

“I do not!”

“You should. He ruined your career.”

“Almost ruined it. Caddarick gave us a second chance.”

“Which he shouldn’t have.” Will runs a hand through his hair. I should care that I’m getting under his skin. But the thought doesn’t even cross my mind. My temper is running so high that it blinds me.

He glares down at me. “How can you defend Colton?”

“Because he might have answers.”

“I have answers too.” Will pulls out his phone, hits the screen a few times, then shoves it in my face. “Vido is the cardinal.”

There’s a jumble of paragraphs on the screen, written in Will's sloppy handwriting. I try to read it, but his arm is constantly shaking. I can't focus enough to make out anything. “I can’t read that.”

“It explains everything,” Will practically shouts. “I found a book, one I was sure didn't have anything important. Vido’s first adviser called him the Cardinal. The nickname stuck for years, through many more advisers and counsels. Not many people know about it today.”

I stare at the screen, trying to make out the jumbled list of notes. The letters are slanted, pushed together where they shouldn’t be. I can't make out anything that he’s telling me. “Next time could you take a picture of the book? Then I might actually be able to read it.”

I duck as Will’s phone flies through the air. A crack resonates through the room as it hits the door. The material can't be damaged so I know it’s not broken. But I'm sure Will will regret it later.

“Do you even care about any of this," he shouts in my face. "Because I can stop now. Just give you back the journal and let you go crazy because you can’t figure it out."

I want to shout back at him, make him wish he’s never said any of it. But one look at his face and I decide not to. He's flushed, teeth clenched together. His eyes find mine with such intensity that should send me retreating to the door. It's something I've only seen from him before in combat; nothing that should be saved for the likes of me.

How did we get here?

An apology is on my lips, but I can’t seem to say it. My guilt is building in the form of a pounding headache. I don’t want to be the reason for anything coming between us. Even if I’m not the one to blame.

All I can do is wrap my arms around him. The hug is hesitant. I'm scared that he might push me away, leave for good. I stand there for an eternity, burying my head in his chest, willing him to understand. This is my apology and so much more.

Finally he gives in, his arms pulling my small body close to his. I can hear his heart beating through his chest, steadying with each passing moment. I let myself relax. We’re one and nothing can change that.

He pulls back, holding me at arms’ length. “You know that I care about you, right?”

“Of course.” I don’t know why he’s questioning it.

“So tell me what happened with Colton.”

I sigh. Does he really want to go back to this? "I already told you."

“No, I mean before they took him away. You remembered something didn’t you?”

The breath catches in my throat. “How could you tell?”

“That look you got,” he says, staring at me more intently as to not let me avoid the answer. “Pale face, empty eyes. It’s like you weren’t even there. What did you see?”

I don’t have to tell him. These are my memories, something I’m still trying to sort out for myself. Will doesn’t truly understand what’s going on so it seems like a ridiculous idea. It’ll only give another reason to worry. He’ll never leave me alone.

But he’s your partner. How can I not share this? He’s already read through my parents’ journal. I know he’s read about Ivan. It won’t be that much of a surprise.

So I start talking. I tell him about Ivan, the mission I don’t know the outcome of, the feeling that I was actually there. It wasn’t like a film playing on the screen. I was actually there; nothing like the memories I have of being at this school, or even the ones from when I was a kid.

Will doesn’t respond when I’m finished. He only stares at me, mulling over what I just told him. Sometimes it scares me how easily we can read each other.

He doesn’t get a chance to respond. The alarm cuts through the room, screeching in my eardrums. Even though each sound deafens me, I focus on the pattern. Three long and then a short.

We’re under attack.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:48 pm
Lightsong wrote a review...



Hey, I'm here for a quick review! :D I haven't read the previous chapter, so excuse me for my confusion at some parts.

Will lets out a frustrated sigh, obviously expecting a different response from me. “I’m trying here, Bryn. I was in the library for the past three hours trying to figure out this code. Unlike some people, I took advantage of the distraction.”


So Will's decoding some codes, Bryn gives him her reaction to his recent discovery, and this is how he reacts to that. It seems a bit exaggerated. I can guess he might no be happy with her discouraging reply, but he doesn't have to overreact.

The whole thing they argue is about Colton, and I'm not sure what has he done to Bryn. From Will's words, he seems to have done something bad, and that she helped him to know what he meant? That's how I take it from the exchange. Something went wrong -- Colton got drugged -- and Will took the distraction to decode all of this. If that is all, I don't think Will needs to focus on Colton when he's been busy decoding the code. I don't know, I just think after what he's discovered, he might want to prove the importance of it more than what he wants to say about Colton.

I stare at the screen, trying to make out the jumbled list of notes. The letters are slanted, pushed together where they shouldn’t be. I can't make out anything that he’s telling me. “Next time could you take a picture of the book? Then I might actually be able to read it.”

I duck as Will’s phone flies through the air. A crack resonates through the room as it hits the door. The material can't be damaged so I know it’s not broken. But I'm sure Will will regret it later.


Again, I don't understand his overreaction. If he can't guess Bryn can't read the notes, then it might be better to ask if she's being serious about that instead of giving an outburst.

I need to read the previous chapters to know about Ivan. xD I'm glad though Bryn tells Will about everything, because withholding information would not make the situation any better, and it would spare us unnecessary drama about trust and loyalty and all that jazz, and it's a smart decision from her.

This subchapter is more focus on Bryn and Will, nothing much to say, although I do hope you can consider some of their reactions, as well as what makes them do it. Right now, I can see how Will's thinking Bryn's not serious in this, but I can't figure out if her severity in responding should earn his outburst and all. I think the execution can be made better.

Keep up the good job! :D




User avatar
767 Reviews


Points: 26330
Reviews: 767

Donate
Mon May 16, 2016 12:43 pm
SpiritedWolfe wrote a review...



Hai! I'm not seven months late this time ~ So, I'll just jump into the review.

Honestly, I'm not really feeling this chapter quite like the other ones. For one, I was really expecting some answers, some solid answers and not more Bryn drama. For instance, the ending of the last chapter was basically brushed aside for Will's jealous outbursts. Sure we know that there is Vido as the Cardinal, but what does that mean? To us right now, nothing. Why is it so important that Will had to go and rip out some decive that's listening to them? He knows a lot more than he's letting on and I want these answers, but instead we get a touchy, angered Will >.<

And an endearing hug, but still. I need concrete evidence!

Okay, why didn't Bryn just take Will's phone from him to attempt to read it better? Sure that seems kind of small, but later on he throws it across the room in an angered outburst and it seems kind of unnecessary. And it's not like Bryn wasn't trying to care, but she's just as much in the dark as we are, and it feels really unfair for Will to get so angry at her. It's not her fault.

I also don't understand Bryn in this chapter. Why is she suddenly feel like she's on Colton's side? In parts before she's always hated him. She definitely has every reason to hate him now? It doesn't make sense. I mean, I remember during the training excersize in chapter one, there was some strong tension between them, and Colton even stole her phone for whatever reason. They do not have a strong relationship, so why does Bryn insist on defending him? Is it for Kellar? It doesn't make sense to me.

Some that could help us understand a bit better is to have a little bit less of just actions going on and some more thoughts running through Bryn's head. Now, I'm typing this review by memory, but from what I remember, I didn't get a lot of those. Remember, we're in Bryn's head, and she can't hide anything from us that she's hiding from herself.

More misunderstanding for me is why is Bryn not even the slightest bit curious about her past. Like I said, I didn't get a whole lot of motivations/thoughts this chapter and so I'm wondering why she doesn't seem to care? I can understand the whole "in the heat of the moment thing" that she's not thinking, about it, but she seems bored that Will is telling her this stuff rather than wanting to know about herself? I mean, I'm frustrated when I can't even remember what I came upstairs to get, let alone what happened in my entire childhood.

Anyway, that was a bunch of my rambling that I hope you can use to some extent ^^ I do want to read on because I want answers very badly D: At least something!! (Just be careful not to info dump is too much when the time finally comes. :3)

Happy writing!
~ Wolfe




User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Sat May 14, 2016 1:28 am
Lightsong says...



All I can do is wrap my arms around him. The hug is hesitant. I'm scared that he might push me away, leave for good. I stand there for an eternity, burying my head in his chest, willing him to understand. This is my apology and so much more.

Finally he gives in, his arms pulling my small body close to his. I can hear his heart beating through his chest, steadying with each passing moment. I let myself relax. We’re one and nothing can change that.


+1 ;)





here is the deepest secret nobody knows (here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a treee called life; which grows higher than the soul can home or mind can hide) and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)
— e.e. cummings