the symphony of the drum

by Monsters

i

sometimes a cloud doesn't break in the limelight of purpose -
to compose its storm and decompose in its fury
sometimes, it waits for me,
it manifests as a burn as i stare up, and it grabs me with its might
and my breath, shallow and seldom, battles its lightning and its boom with the war cry of my heart-
that is stuck thumping to the symphony meant for war
as each second passes we birth a God that shows His wrath in the details of our bland expressions,
otherwise we are hollow and wavering and nothing
but its prodding of light and fury makes me shake and each zap i shudder in the mist of its twilight
and i couldn't scream but i say i surrender, with the ash inside my bones -
it is relentless stomping after defeated and dead -
i become hollow when the weight of battle stomps again, and stomps again
hollow like a history book because the defeated are sometimes forgotten after genocides
i am more than dead

ii
i live
if that is its own victory in war then it is the kind where poverty and violence stay in its aftermath
the kind of storm that leaves the trees tilted onto power lines and tipped over on roads,
the sticks in a chaotic rhythm marking where the wind rips and tears through the battle, and its victims amazed at its wrath
the kind of bitter sweet that is all bitter- when the people in their homes can only afford spoiled fish
where they eat to survive but nothing they taste or live for anymore is any good.

but they shake it off to make what’s left of their life.
it was a lesson they learned because they couldn't quite handle the weight of death and dying.

iii
in pleasant stories you hear of the rebirth of villages,
the story of the underdogs coming back to life under the spotlight
that is a lie,
you can't bandage these wounds because it is not a cut
it is suffocation - less of the pain that can be healed and scar
and more of the need to have something you will never get again.

fantasydragon01 wrote a review...

Fantasydragon01 here!
I like it very much. And it was very well-written and I hope you make more of these!!!
I like the concept of the story. The beatings of a drum before a battle. Now, that is what I call creative. The story tells the truth about war, that you cannot heal the wounds when you experience a battle.
I only see one grammatical mistake.
"it is suffocation- less of the pain that can be healed and scar"
You should have added "scarred" instead of "scar".
Other than that, I do not see any other mistakes. Great job.
Good luck and keep writing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very truly yours,
fantasydragon01.

Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:33 am
spidey790 says...

This is amazing. I am definitely a short story person, and yet this caught my attention just like a great short story would. I was captivated by your use of words, it was incredible. I loved it, to say the least. Please keep up the AMAZING writing!!!

Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:21 am
TheDoctor wrote a review...

I really enjoyed the metaphors used in this work. It flows very nicely, as well. To say living is a "kind of storm that leaves the trees tilted onto power lines and tipped over on roads" is simply outstanding and deep. If I had to be picky to give you some criticism, I'd say that the word "its" is used an awful lot to the point of distraction in the beginning. Also, did you mean to say "hallow?" Hallow means to honor as holy or a saint/holy person. I could be wrong, but I feel you meant to use the word "Hollow." Either way, wonderful work!

Monsters says...

Quick note; Rewrite of it was cold

I am and always will be optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes, the dreamer of improbable dreams.
— 11th Doctor