z

Young Writers Society


18+ Language Violence Mature Content

The Successor, The Fall of Morrow (2.2)

by Moalex


Warning: This work has been rated 18+ for language, violence, and mature content.

(Updated)

Normally, anyone going in or out of the building required a security check. Upon Cecilia’s approach, at least for this one time, the guards didn’t even bother to try and stop her, much less look at her.

One elevator ride later, and she was at the top floor where she found Ren and the leader of the refuge, Prof. Kamui, around a holographic table, or holotable, as they called it.

“Cecilia,” Prof. Kamui nodded at her.

“Prof. Kamui,” she returned his greeting.

It was a large room separated by a two step stair with the elevator being the only entry and exit other than the tinted window wall. The lower floor was a circular space big enough for two couches facing opposite of each other with a coffee table in between. The higher floor had Prof. Kamui’s holotable in the center where he monitored the camp’s condition and shared information with other refugees, cared for potted plants in the corners, and slept on a bed set to the left of the room.

“You better not be pulling my leg right now!” Cecilia rushed up to Ren. “You’re lucky none of the sins were there today.”

“Unlikely, they’re too coordinated to simply leave their army unattended at the front lines,” replied Ren.

Cecilia rolled her eyes. “Show it to me.”

With a few taps on the table and hand gestures, dozens of holographic documents projected into the air.

“Amaterasu, bring me page 1,” said Ren.

“Really? The holotable’s name is Amaterasu?” Asked Cecilia.

“It’s not my holotable and I didn’t name it.”

Cecilia gave Prof. Kamui a weird look, but he shrugged and smiled innocently.

Ren handed her a single sheet of paper. It was a profile of a boy with light blue hair with his name, sex, ethnicity, height, typical identity list. Fuyu, so that’s your name. Most of the information was unfamiliar. It wasn’t any that she recognized, and she found the reason why. She narrowed her eyes on the date of the document thinking it was a typo, but it would make sense as to why everything else on the paper seemed foreign.

“This...can’t be right,” she took turns looking at Ren and Prof. Kamui. “The year says 2014.”

“I promise you, we did nothing but scan the documents in the condition that Ren found it in,” said Prof. Kamui,

“This doesn’t make any sense!”

“In the world we live in now, does anything make sense?” Ren responded, rhetorically. “The document was found in a thousand year old laboratory with no signs of aging had appeared out of nowhere.”

Cecilia shrunk the document in her hand and threw it into her holowatch. “I’m leaving the front-lines. I’m going to look for him,” she turned her back to Ren and Prof. Kamui and walked off.

“Cecilia, I would like for you to think twice about the choice you’re making,” Prof. Kamui called out to her.

She stopped, pursed her lips and took a deep breath. She already knew what he was going to say.

“Without you at the front-lines, who will fight the commanding Sin when one of them returns? Let’s be rational here. So we finally found a lead to the boy you’re looking for, but he lived a thousand years ago. Okay, I get it, magic has been around for a long time, but what are the chances of him sticking around for a thousand years and surviving this hell hole?”

Cecilia clenched her fist, just as she thought. Did he think she was stupid or something? Of course, she knew that already.

“Secondly, we have no idea where he is. The coordinates of his last known location aren't the same coordinates our systems use. Even if he was still around, why would he still be there? You traveled the world searching for him, and even you couldn’t find him with your abilities. You had your chance to search for him, and you came up empty.”

She wanted nothing more than to just turn around and shout in his face. He was right, she knew he was right. Yet, it only made her want to punch him. All these logical answers and rational behavior, does he not realize the situation they’re in?

“Lastly, we have no way of knowing if he’ll actually be of any use. Okay, so you claim he saved Ren thirteen years--”

“I KNOW!” Cecilia cried out. “I know, okay!? I know where I’m supposed to be! I know what I have to do!” She grabbed her left wrist and squeezed it. “I know how ridiculous it sounds... I know how small the chances are.” She returned to the holotable and enlarged Fuyu’s profile paper. “But I have to try. If everything on here is true, then magic didn’t just randomly come into existence eighteen years ago. He is proof of it! If he’s still out there, if he’s been around since the beginning, then we finally have someone that can answer all of our questions. For the first time, we actually have a lead on someone that can tell us why this is all happening!”

Ren walked over and put his hand on her shoulder. “Do you truly believe he’s still out there? Even after everything Prof. Kamui said? Despite how microscopic the chances are?”

She shrugged his hand off and glared at her older brother. “I know what I saw thirteen years ago. He’s the only reason you’re alive today.”

“But what does this tell you,” Cecilia turned around and faced Prof. Kamui. He pressed his finger at her heart. “Deep down inside, do you truly feel that this is our best course of action?”

Of course this wasn’t the best course of action, but what they were doing now wasn’t getting them anywhere. Holding off the front lines? Defending wave after waves of hell-spawns for three years without obtaining new knowledge? To survive off whatever remaining scrap was still edible and technology with oh-so-little battery? Surely they must realize they were only delaying the inevitable.

“Our time is nearly up anyway,” Cecilia admitted. “There’s barely enough food, our technology is useless, and nobody has any morale left.” She looked up and stared at Fuyu’s picture; reminiscing her memory. He showed her how to make better use of her magic. He knew she had magic despite being complete strangers. All during a time when magic was only recently discovered.

“If you won’t help me search for him, then I’ll go alone. It’s only a matter of time before the people die from the cold or commit suicide anyways,” she turned her back and walked away.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
81 Reviews


Points: 5134
Reviews: 81

Donate
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:45 pm
View Likes
kattee wrote a review...



Hellooo again (2x) !!

Now, this part was really interesting. I've gotten to learn more about what kind of character Cecilia is and so far, I like her. I can really see why she's the heroine of the story. Plus, she somehow reminds me of Thomas from the Maze Runner.

I'm going to start with my curious inquiries:

I'm not sure how much time has passed but I do know that it wouldn't exceed a few days or a weeks since Cecilia was desperate to arrive in Morrow upon receiving the message. You also did say that you've made some changes in chapter one (I hope I could read that) so I was thinking this chapter hints a change of plot? I noticed that Ren seems to act too normal and calm. Maggie also doesn't seem to show that she's troubled (chapter 2.1) even if she's supposed to be, given Emma's situation and the fear of losing her friend. With all this, I presume more like hoping that George didn't die? If my presumption is correct, please let me read the edited chapter 1!!

Also, is Fuyu without a last name but has blue hair the one Serenity was talking about in Chapter 1? The reason Cecilia "abandoned" them:

“Your sister’s a whore! She left us to go fuck some dude that dyed his hair light blue! Left us all to die!

-Though, we can evidently see that it is incorrect. And given that nobody was fazed nor angry when Cecilia arrived (all showed their respect), does that mean this is also a plot change? This is getting really interesting hmm. let me read chap 1 please

I have a few more concerns:


“But what does this tell you,” Cecilia turned around and faced Prof. Kamui. He pressed his finger at her heart. “Deep down inside, do you truly feel that this is our best course of action?”

-Did you mean "He pressed his finger at his heart"? It would be a bit uncomfortable to read and imagine if it wasn't.
-It's also a little weird for him to point at the heart when all his decisions were logical (coming from the brain). The heart is known for being foolhardy and sometimes irrational because it's run by emotions.

I noticed an inconsistency with how the holotechs work, especially Amaterasu. Ren can command Amaterasu as seen here:
“Amaterasu, bring me page 1,” said Ren

But he couldn't ask it to open the "dozens of holographic documents"? Does Amaterasu (and its kind) have limitations? What are they?

“In the world we live in now, does anything make sense?” Ren responded rhetorically. “The document was found in a thousand year old laboratory with no signs of aging that appeared out of nowhere.

-First Highlight: I personally think that it's a weak and unnecessary adverb. The best way to use an adverb is to bring clarity to a response that means something different from what is commonly interpreted. For example, "'You're ugly!' she said, jokingly." In here, the word "jokingly" is vital because without it, people might think that the speaker is criticising the one she's talking to. However, in your quote,^ the reader could just assume it was rhetorical.
-Second Highlight: change the word "that" to "and had."
-Third Highlight:This just my take but Cecilia could've used this in defence of her goal. I mean, isn't it suspicious that it appeared out of nowhere? Like it's waiting to be found? No pressure on this one, though. It's your choice as a writer because Cecilia is a human with a lot of thoughts in her mind. She might not have thought of it at that moment.

The higher floor had Prof. Kamui’s holotable in the center where he monitors the camp’s condition and share information with other refugees, potted plants in the corners, and a bed on the left of the room.

-Aside from adding "s" on the word "share," my grammar issue towards the highlighted part is the parallelism(if you're not familiar with this, you can google it and the concept is really easy to understand). All italicised words are verbs while the underlined ones are nouns. You should choose what kind of word you'll be using for a much coherent flow.

Cecilia shrunk the document in her hand and threw it into her holowatch.“I’m leaving the front-lines, I’m going to look for him,” she turned her back to Ren and Prof. Kamui and walked off.

-I'm starting to love this watch more and more.
-It should be a full stop instead of a comma.

Of course this wasn’t the best course of action, but what they were doing now wasn’t getting them anywhere.

-Saying it like this implies that she does know what the best course of action was (which she doesn't). She should just say she wasn't sure.

She wanted nothing more than to just turn around and shout [b]in his face.

*at not in

“If you won’t help me search for him, then I’ll go alone. It’s only a matter of time before the people died from the cold or committed suicide anyways,” she turned her back and walked away.

-Because of the word "before" (in the context, it pertained to the future), "committed" and "died" should be in present tense. Why not use future tense? Um. I don't know why but it's stated here Drop by the "Before with present tenses" heading.

“It’s not my holotable, and I didn’t name it.”

-Please remove the comma.

Cecilia gave Prof. Kamui a weird look, but he shrugged it off and smiled innocently.

-Did you mean "he shrugged it off by smiling innocently"?

It wasn’t any that she recognized, and she found the reason why.

-Did you mean "it wasn't anything that she recognized"?
-Also, no comma after recognized.

Holding off the front lines? Defending wave after waves of hell-spawns for three years without obtaining new knowledge? To survive off whatever remaining scrap was still edible and technology with oh-so-little battery? Surely they must realize they were only delaying the inevitable.

-Compared to the prior chapter, her thoughts here were much more reasonable.
-It gave such an attack on titan vibe (not entirely similar, but still)
-They must also have some great batteries (or large supplies) to power up all their technology for years.


Love the building up here! I also won't place notes about the characters and world building anymore because you did say that you've finished writing the chapters. Though, if you do want them, just tell me! I made a table to keep track haha.

If I phrased things offensively, do tell me so I won't make the same mistake again and I apologise in advance! Keep writing❤️


SENDING LOVE, Kattee



Come by Katteelog if you want some sweet reviews <3.




Moalex says...


Hi Kattee! Continuing from the first part of Chapter 2. Same stuff.

1. Chapter 1 is updated.

2. The confusing treatment to Cecilia between everyone is a mystery to reader's like you, but I promise you there's a reason for it. It's actually a common treatment in real life, but it might just be because I'm the writer who based it on the idea.

3. When you open a folder with thousands of documents on a computer, you come face-to-face with thousands of documents. So you go to the search bar and type in keywords that helps you find what you're searching for. Same concept. Ren unloaded a file with thousands of documents with hand-gestures, so he used voice command to get the holotable to search for the document he's looking for specifically.

4. Indeed, she does not know what the best course of action is. But really, who does? The paragraph was meant to provide a level of uncertainty in such confusing times. Nobody knows what the best course of action is, but it's definitely easier to know which actions are not the right ones to do. Which is why the scene with Prof. Kamui pressing his finger at her heart is associated. What does the person keeping everyone alive think they should do?

5. No, he did both. The "it off" shouldn't be there.

6. In a way, chapter 2 is meant to help readers explore the characters, and act as a (like you said) build-up to hype the future chapters. I'll leave it to your imagination about what their thought-process and personalities are supposed to be.

Lastly, please don't ever worry about whether you phrased things offensively or not. In fact, all these nitpicks and pointers that you do helps expand my mind and allows me to see things that I missed. So never apologize for something you didn't do wrong. Your help and suggestions are everything!



kattee says...


That's great! I'll be on chapter 1 and might add a comment (mostly my reaction) later.



User avatar
4127 Reviews


Points: 260204
Reviews: 4127

Donate
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:19 am
KateHardy wrote a review...



Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening/Nigh(whichever one it is in your part of the world),

And I'm back for part 2 of this chapter.

First Impression: Well we finally discover this him. And this story continues to get really interesting. I'd love to read the rest of this when you post it.

Normally, anyone going in or out of the building required a security check. Upon Cecilia’s approach, at least this time, the guards didn’t even bother to try and stop her, much less look at her.


Very bad security.

It was a large room separated by a two step stair with the elevator being the only entry and exit other than the tinted window wall. The lower floor was a circular space big enough for two couches facing opposite of each other with a coffee table in between. The higher floor had Prof. Kamui’s holotable in the center where he monitors the camp’s condition and share information with other refugees, potted plants in the corners, and a bed on the left of the room.


Lovely little description there. Works as a nice little establishing shot to set the stage.

“In the world we live in now, does anything make sense?” Ren responded rhetorically. “The document was found in a thousand year old laboratory with no signs of aging that appeared out of nowhere.”


Very good point there Ren.

Cecilia shrunk the document in her hand and threw it into her holowatch. “I’m leaving the front-lines, I’m going to look for him,” she turned her back to Ren and Prof. Kamui and walked off.


Well that was a quick decision.

“Secondly, we have no idea where he is. The coordinates of his last known location aren't the same coordinates our systems use. Even if he was still around, why would he still be there? You traveled the world searching for him, and even you couldn’t find him with your abilities. You had your chance to search for him, and you came up empty.”


Well that does actually sound pretty much impossible.

Of course this wasn’t the best course of action, but what they were doing now wasn’t getting them anywhere. Holding off the front lines? Defending wave after waves of hell-spawns for three years without obtaining new knowledge? To survive off whatever remaining scrap was still edible and technology with oh-so-little battery? Surely they must realize they were only delaying the inevitable.

“Our time is nearly up anyway,” Cecilia admitted. “There’s barely enough food, our technology is useless, and nobody has any morale left.” She looked up and stared at Fuyu’s picture; reminiscing her memory. He showed her how to make better use of her magic. He knew she had magic despite being complete strangers. All during a time when magic was only recently discovered.

“If you won’t help me search for him, then I’ll go alone. It’s only a matter of time before the people died from the cold or committed suicide anyways,” she turned her back and walked away.


That last past is a great way of showing us the state of the world in a way that fits the flow beautifully.

And that's it for this one.

Overall: That's another great piece here. This search that gets set up acts as a great hook for the readers. The plot here is still in its infancy so nothing to comment on there really. The character of Cecilia also gets some great development here so that's great.

As always remember to take what you think was helpful and forget the rest.

Stay Safe
Harry




Moalex says...


Hi Harry! First thing I'd like to say is, I am without a doubt blown away by the amount of notifications I received from you. Like wow, on top of the list of helpful suggestions and mentions of parts of the story you like, but you even point out the small hints that passively details the before-and-after setting of the story. The amount of dopamine rushing through my head is just through the roof. It really lets me know that all these days of wracking up my brain and trying to produce something that can even be considered "decent," is showing results. Especially for a website like YWS where you don't know if people are just simply being nice and reviewing for the sake of points, reading your long review is rewarding and I appreciate your time to look through my story.

Without a doubt, I will be making adjustments based on your suggestions that I agree with. This has been the most helpful review I've had where I didn't need to provide some insight as to why I won't change, or had to write it in a specific way or wording.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to review the story from the first chapter up until now. I know there's only 1 and a third of the story published so far, but it really does mean a lot to me.



KateHardy says...


Hi!!
Your Welcome!! It really was very enjoyable to read. And well glad I could help. I'll keep an eye out for any new chapters.



User avatar


Points: 200
Reviews: 0

Donate
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:39 pm
XxDarkRosesxX says...



It's very well put together. I like your writing style!




Moalex says...


Thank you for the positive feedback!




Is anyone else desperately waiting to see themselves in the quote gen?
— TheCursedCat