12+ Language Violence

Glorious Fantasy Ch.11: Life

by MeatBunCat

While the night was beautiful, and with my enhanced vision, I could appreciate that all the more, I was exhausted. Lore eventually came out halfway through the night, but sleeping in a tent with Ellie was way different then with Curse. She didn’t hug on me, she kept a respectable distance, there was nothing wrong with it. But it felt different, like I was sleeping somewhere I shouldn’t. Curse felt more like a kind older woman, so I somehow ignored it, but Ellie...

I didn’t sleep much at all, in fact it felt like the moment I closed my eyes, I was woken up by Lore shaking me. One of her rules. When hunting, don’t make too many loud noises.

Today is the day I am going to kill something. Right, I’ll prove it to these two that I can handle it. I’ve killed plenty in video games, and seen plenty of violent movies. Even if I can’t kill a person, a wild animal shouldn’t be too hard.

After hours of hunting through the empty valley we finally found something. The same creatures that lead me to Curse, Lore, Crux, and Quill. The same monsters who welcomed me to this world of fantasy. Those monsters that looked like massive kittens with saber teeth. The monsters this world called mad cats. As soon as we saw it, me and Lore prepared for our first fight, but before we could do anything Ellie raised a hand.

“Please stay still, milady, Miss Lore.” Ellie suddenly said, dashing forward at the mad cat. She didn’t dodge, she didn’t attack, rather in her full werewolf form she took the massive fangs of the creature head on. I was about to shout out when I noticed chunks of white fly off her. A crack like a stick breaking, and then a bang as she lifted the changing monster into the air and slammed it into the ground.

Bang!

Bang!

Bang!

Ellie repeatedly slammed the mad cat into the ground, one hand on its arm, and another on one of its saber teeth, which had broken through her repeated beatings. She didn’t kill it, instead she seemed to simply be knocking the daylights out of it. Repeatedly bashing its head into the dirt but never enough to draw blood.

After what felt like minutes of watching her ceaselessly beat the beast she finally stopped, turning back into a beautiful girl in a instant, even going through the effort to shift out those wolf ears.

“Ellie…”

“Milady, forgive me for being presumptuous, but I want you to properly understand your first kill. Is it okay if I handle it this way Miss Lore?”

“I always heard the werewolves had a interesting way of teaching, as long as you don’t go too far.” Lore said, hesitating.

“Understand?” I asked.

“First, I want you to come closer before you use your magic, milady.” Ellie waved me over to her.

“Why?” What does distance matter? I already decided on this Ellie. Even though I was questioning her, I still shuffled over to her. Moving closer and closer, as she waved me forward, until I was standing right beside the dazed mad cat.

“Because, I want you to understand something. Rather, milady, what do you consider a life?” In biology class I learned that science considers anything that reproduces, can adapt to their environment, are capable of growth, and so on. But if she means something more symbolic, I don’t know.

“...breathing?” Almost all living creatures breaths right? Sort of.

“Pft.” Lore, who had been quiet till now, did her best to hold back a laugh. Ellie’s emotionless face stayed the same, but those ears of hers were twitching. Even without her showing it on her face I can figure out her emotions!

Annoyed...

“Please take this serious milady, -though any answer would have done, as what you consider a life does not actually matter, it would only be true for you.”

“Then why did you ask?” I muttered, confused.

“What matters,” Ellie turned the dazed mat cats head to face me. “Is that you are taking away this creature's life, you are taking away this being's right to live for your own convenience.”

“Right…” I- I know that!

“So now, as you look this living being in the eye, as you hear it breath, watch it’s pain. I want you to kill it knowing the reality of what you are doing.”

“Isn’t that a bit too harsh for her first time killing something?” Lore spoke, concern and confusion etched in her voice.

“Milady is too kind, so it has to be done this way. Otherwise she will never be able to fight.” Ellie replied to Lore before staring me in the eye. “If you can not do it, I am happy to guard you. You do not have to stain your hands milady.”

“No. I said I would do this, so I will.” Confident as I tried to sound. All of that bravado I had built up over our search today had mostly disappeared through the brutality of that beating she had given the mad cat. I watched it suffer, and now I was asked to kill it. Rather than a fight, it was like I was asked to handle an execution. A defenseless creature in my reach to kill or spare, all depending on my will. I looked into the mad cats’ eyes, and watched it look back at me. The same species that had almost killed me only a few days before, this one was no different, attacking Ellie the moment it saw us.

Okay I can do this.

I lift my hand, the word, the spell hanging on my lips, only a few syllables to kill.

“Milady, do not close your eyes, accept what you are doing.” Ellie said. I hadn't even noticed that I had closed my eyes while thinking.

“Are you sure you can do this Mist? There are easier ways to handle this.” Lore pipped in.

“Humans are too eager to trivialize a life to make themselves feel better.” Ellie countered. Harsh.

“I can do it.” I shake my head and focus back on the mad cat. It was the first creature to welcome me to this world, and now I am going to send one off to the next. “Air Hammer.”

Bang!

I watched a fist size hole form, a hole carved with magic right through the mad cats’ head, breaking its way through the skull, before mashing up the creature's brain, before the mana in the spell was burnt out, the force slamming the monsters head into the ground. It was a gruesome sight. I always thought I was desensitized to this sort of thing. While I was never much into horror, the number of fake mutilated bodies I had seen on tv and in video games could easily number in the millions. Yet.

“Milady!” Ellie leaned forward, easily stopping me as I almost fell over, gagging. I could feel bile in my throat, but I held it in, but I couldn’t stop my weak legs. After a few seconds under Ellie's support I finally could hold my own weight.This was probably one of the more dramatic ways to learn how to kill something. But...

“Thank you.”

“Forgive my impudence, milady. I pressured you into th-”

“Ellie.” I cut her off with a hug. “Thank you.” I don't know how I am going to process all of this, how I am going to accept this reality of killing that I have pushed myself into. But if she didn't say all of that. Maybe I would have trivialized it, pushed the problem away as me killing mindless beast. 

I don't want that.

“...Yes, milady.”

-----------------

Author's Note: I’ve gone hunting a few times. The first time I went, I kept closing my eyes when I fired the gun, I REALLY didn’t wanna see what I was killing, so I never actually hit anything. So my dad eventually gave me a pair of binoculars, and had me spot for him. He didn’t warn me when he shoot, so I was made to watch a small red hole appear like some horrifying magic on the poor deer's body. After I scared all the deer away with my yelling at him for being a jerk. He asked me the same question.

‘What do you consider a life?’

Carlito wrote a review...

Hello again! :D

I appreciated your author’s note at the end and how you used some of your real life experience to help create this chapter! I’m a long-time vegetarian and I’m not a huge fan of hunting, but I enjoyed this chapter because I felt like you really brought us into the scene. I appreciated the way Ellie explained the kill to Mist and the impact the kill had on Mist. You brought out a lot of nice emotion!

I felt a little pulled out of the scene at this moment:

This was too much telling for me. You set up the scene nicely in those first few paragraphs about getting ready for the kill and then we skip ahead and we've already been in the valley for a few hours and they found the super scary creature. Sloooow it down :) I want to see them start the hunt. I want to see what this hunt looks like before they encounter the monster. You don't need to give me every single little detail that happens, but I want a little more. Take me hunting with them, then throw me something scary.
Then, when they see the monster, I think you could show that a little more too. In the beginning of the story when they see this monster, it's scary. The monster attacks and nearly kills Mist. They see it and what? Does the monster not see them? How are they taking this time to prepare to attack without being attacked themselves? And when you say "Lore prepared for our first fight" - how so? How does Lore do that? Slow it on down :)

I also wasn't sure how I felt about this part at the end:
I don't know how I am going to process all of this, how I am going to accept this reality of killing that I have pushed myself into. But if she didn't say all of that. Maybe I would have trivialized it, pushed the problem away as me killing mindless beast.

Earlier it seemed like Mist wanted to do this and was excited at the prospect of doing this and now that she has her conscience suddenly comes in. I get that prepping for it and psyching yourself up for something is a lot different than actually doing it, and I like that Mist is putting thought into what she did and it wasn't a mindless act. But I don't remember a lot of thoughts throughout the whole killing process and then all of a sudden she's sort of horrified about what she's done? I think I want a little more showing of her thoughts, especially for that transition of thoughts.

Overall though, I thought this was one of your stronger chapters. I think you could include a little more detail about what the monster is doing throughout all of this and more thoughts (you know I love thoughts :p) but other than that, it's an interesting chapter! Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be back for more soon! :D

Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:16 pm
Steggy wrote a review...

Hello, Steggy here for a review!

I haven't read the previous chapters so forgive me if I get anything wrong.

In the beginning, it seems worded weird. Like, it doesn't seem to be in the right order is what I'm saying. That could be because the misuse of commas throughout. Most people do this without even realizing it (me, for example) and are lazy to change it until they see it later. There are a few places where there are commas that are not made to be there and the first one I see would be: I could appreciate that all the more, I was exhausted. This sentence either needs to be two different sentences or rid of the comma. For me, using a comma means separate unlike this or using it before conjunctions. Usually, however, commons are used to even out the appositives from the rest of the sentence.
In this case, as I mentioned before, should be a separate sentence. It should look something like this: I could appreciate that all the more. I was exhausted.

The same issue with this sentence: She didn’t hug on me, she kept a respectable distance, there was nothing wrong with it. But instead, have 'and' placed between 'distance' and 'there'.

Curse felt more like a kind older woman, so I somehow ignored it, but Ellie...

I like this sentence because it is kinda foreshadowing what happens to Ellie and the simile gives us that eerie feeling, because there are some old ladies that are just too nice.

This paragraph feels a bit awkward. It might be the wording with this one. For any sort of writing, always re-read after you write it. For me, I read while I write. Like, I figure out what is wrong as I'm writing. This way it can help me figure out what is wrong, ahead of time. But often times that doesn't work because your brain is faster than your fingers and can't catch those small mistakes.
Anyway! I'll start with the first sentence. I didn't sleep much at all, in fact, in fact it felt like the moment I closed my eyes, I was woken up by Lore shaking me.

'I didn't sleep much at all' feels a little, as I said, awkward. To me, it seems to be like 'I didn't get much sleep'.

'in fact it felt like the moment I closed my eyes, I was woken up by Lore shaking me.' Where there's 'in fact', there should be a comma. It's almost like a transition onto the next scene. Also, like the reviewer said below me, this scene doesn't make much sense because why was she woken up? Did she snore? Did kick someone and they made noise? The possibilities are endless with this one.

One of her rules. When hunting, don’t make too many loud noises.

This sentence feels like it should be together or maybe worded differently? Like this: One of her many rules was when hunting, don't make too much noise. (I changed the wording of it because, again, it felt awkward.)

When a character has a thought, you should make it different from the previous text that is surrounding it because when a person is reading the thought or action, they could think it was being said aloud or just another phrase. In this case, Right, I'll prove it to these two that I can handle it. To me, this is a thought. Because the character is mentally telling herself everything's going to be okay and she'll actually get to kill something. Also, who are the two people she's going to prove she can do it? Lore and Ellie, I'm guessing.

The transition scene, where they are hunting in the empty valley, feels rushed. You should somehow show them hunting but in great detail. Like mention the countless tries it takes before she can actually kill something.

Those monsters that looked like massive kittens with saber teeth.

I like this description. XP

The fighting scene where Ellie fights the massive kitten feels, also, rushed. Like, all of the sudden, Ellie comes out of nowhere and starts banging on the kitten in a werewolf form. Don't use repeated words, either. By that, I mean, 'her repeated beatings....repeatedly bashing'. Try to reword it to avoid repetition.

The dialogue doesn't feel real. To me, when writing dialogue, you should have some description to give the voices in the reader's head (yes, everyone does when they read stuff) some color. I usually read some works or look up dialogue prompts to help me with dialogues.

Overall, this was a nice chapter. I think you could work with speeding in this chapter but there was a nice message about life. I hope to see some more chapters from you. ^^

If you have any questions, let me know!

Steggy

MeatBunCat says...

Thank you for the detailed thoughts and suggestions~

Dracula wrote a review...

Hey, MeatBunCat! It's me again. :) I know I've skipped ahead quite a lot but I think this is the last review I'll have time for, so I'll just go straight for the latest chapter. :D

What have the two halves of this paragraph got to do with each other? You either need to make it clear or split them into two different paragraphs. I'm thinking that she snored, so she woke her up to prevent loud noises?

Even if I can’t kill a person, a wild animal shouldn’t be too hard.

After hours of hunting through the empty valley we finally found something.

The transition between these two scenes was a little sudden. Something clever you can do is start a new scene with a similar, but slightly reworded sentence. For example... A wild animal shouldn't be too hard. / It was hard. After hours of hunting.... You see how I related the final and first sentence of each scene? That makes for a clearer transition. Reading over, though, the rest seem okay. You might like to apply this in other parts of your story though.

I love this character's moral role in the story. She's there to keep your main character in place, and give the reader something deeper to think about. It's a good touch.

There is such good character development in this chapter!! She learns just what life means to her, and how to treat a creature when it's going to die. She goes through a lot of personal change, which is always important. Good job!

MeatBunCat says...

Thank you again for your detailed thoughts and suggestions~

Wicked people never have time for reading. It's one of the reasons for their wickedness.
— Lemony Snicket