The Rich's Man's Side

by JoyDark

This is the argument of a rich man on top of the world, perhaps in another dimension. He is arguing with another, younger person, who is challenging his way of life.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Oh, so you think this is easy?

You think that my life is lacy ribbons on gifts,

Presents of cake and wine and crisp bills,

A seat on top of the mountain

Supported by your wretched hands?

You think this is easy?

I must sit here on this throne all day,

For if I move someone will uproot me,

Throw me into the depths of hell, and steal my place.

I must sit here like a statue,

Never saying a word, never moving a muscle,

Lest someone uses it against me.

You think this is easy?

You forget that when you sit at the top of a mountain

You make yourself a beacon,

And it is all too easy for those below to find you.

And then you must sit and pray

As their eyes bore into you,

That you are flawless, perfection itself.

You are not allowed to be human on the pedestal.

You think it is easy

To forget human nature

Just to keep your place in this despicable order of life?

Tell me, am I getting it wrong?

Should I give up luxury, and instead

Face reputation's backhanded slap?

Tell me!

This is his argument. No doubt you can oppose it. After all, despite what he says, he is human. And humans are naturally flawed, one way or another.

JesseWrites wrote a review...

The idea behind this poem is something I have never seen. You are a great writer with good ideas. I would love if you'd write something like this again. This is beautiful. It is brilliant.

I don't have anything bad to say. You did a good job on grammar and on punctuation. I loved reviewing this.

Good job!
~S.M.Locke~

StudentAH says...

WOW. I just love the idea behind this! Very interesting subject matter. And in a way I can almost agree with him. When you're up on the pedestal like that, its hard because you know you're gonna face criticism.

I mean, I would try to argue with the guy but I can't totally tell where he's coming from. I have wealthy relatives but I know they worked for it myself. I'm kind of surprised that he didn't mention his blood, sweat, and tears that went into climbing that mountain. Instead he seems most concerned with his reputation, which makes me scratch my head. Haha.

But I think he's really frustrated at being dehumanized, and I can relate to that.

I'm not marking this as a review, rather just a comment, because I'm more just arguing with the actual guy as you said, instead of critiquing the poem.

A very fun challenge you have presented us! Haha.

Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:11 pm
Leviari wrote a review...

Hi! I loved reading your poem. You are very talented and you offered a very interesting perspective.
I thought it was absolutely brilliant the way you opened the poem with a direct question and closed it with a strong exclamation. You created a very captivating speech pattern, that almost incites the reader to jump in the discussion.

"I must sit here on this throne all day,

For if I move someone will uproot me,

Throw me into the depths of hell, and steal my place."

This lines made me think about the story of Damocles sword: the more you have the less you get to enjoy your life and those who have everything are also the ones who have everything to lose.

Great piece, thank you for sharing :)

JoyDark says...

Thank you! I don't really know the Damocles sword, but it sounds cool. Thank you for this review, really!

Leviari says...

I think it really relates a lot to your poem, here's where you can have a quick look in case you are interested: https://www.history.com/news/what-was-t ... f-damocles

sorry for going all nerd on you. :)

Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:54 am
BhavyaMehta123 wrote a review...

Hi@Lia5Giba. This is a beautiful piece of work. I can not help reading this again and again.Second and third line of the poem are my favorite lines. I love how rich man explain his insecurities, fears and take out all his frustration.
The symbollism used in the poem is on the point.Overall, I loved the poem.
From: Bhavya

JoyDark says...

Thank you so much. Really.

Your welcome.

Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:08 pm
Plume wrote a review...

Okay. Wow. This is so great in so many ways. First, the CONFLICT. Not only between the two figures in the poem, but also in the mind of the reader. It starts with an obviously wretched perspective, from the man who complains about having everything. But as it continues, you begin to see his side of things. This poem is a deep study of human nature in its deepest self. And (forgive me for reading too deeply) the seat on top of the mountain is a good metaphor for this man's situation. Here he finds himself, superior in height. But tops of mountains are usually cold and hard to breathe, symbolizing the stuffy and unfeeling situation he is in right now. For some reason, we expect the ideal version of ourselves to be impartial and unfeeling, which, honestly, is a shame. Our opinions and emotions are really what mark us as humans. Another thing that is so phenomenal is your diction. I find your word choice to be exquisite. "Repuation's backhanded slap" gave me chills. One thing I would like to see is the response. How does the worse-off, low end of society reply to this? What are his statements to this (in his eyes) entitled human who has all and nothing? To summarize: I loved this.

JoyDark says...

Thank you, really. I'll try developing that other perspective. This is an amazing review, thank you!

Let the wild rumpus start!
— Maurice Sendak