z

Young Writers Society


E - Everyone

A Piece of My Mind

by Horisun


The brain is such a nice thing
I do like thinking thoughts
And also feeling feelings
My Mind, thanks 'lots

I mean, I give it a lotta crap
For being, well, sucky
But all and all, I gotta say
I'm really rather lucky

It's really a fantastic place
The space between my ears;
Thanks, evolution, for
A set of working gears

So, here's my review
Piece of mind, if you might
Dear gracious, please just
Let me sleep at night


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
32 Reviews


Points: 166
Reviews: 32

Donate
Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:09 pm
saadamansayyed wrote a review...



Here for a quick review.

The brain is a fascinating place, full of its countless mysteries. Since I love humorous poetry, I feel I can give you some advise here on improving it and tell you where you've excelled. Also, I will switch between a general, advisory tone and a more humorous tone, and I will use tone indicators /j for humorous and /gen for the general stuff. (/gen)

Let's get in to it! (/gen)

First of all, this poem seems to be something more than a simple humorous poem. (Puts tinfoil hat and English teacher getup on.) Perhaps, as evident by the "the let me sleep at night", the poem is actually just a poignant exploration of your insomnia. Or perhaps, you just published your first book and are overwhelmed by the response — Oh wait, that's me. (/j)

No, to be honest, you do a good job at generally putting pen to paper on what you're going through, and the emotional beats stick out, in a good way. I think, honestly, where I can tell you to improve would mostly be length. The fact that this is barely four quadri-verse stanzas is not ideal. This should be longer, and I think that will allow me to enjoy it more. (/gen)

Clever and using meta-references, you excel at creating a humorous concoction of trouble and timing! (/gen)

Now, please, somebody help me calm the sore thumb that's my brain. (/j)




Horisun says...


Thank you for the review!



Horisun says...


Thank you for the review!





Welcome!



User avatar
30 Reviews


Points: 155
Reviews: 30

Donate
Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:39 pm
View Likes
NewHope wrote a review...



Hello Horisun,

Thank you for the interesting poem. The brain has an incredible capacity. Especially having even named itself and since mine is directing me to say this. A set of working gears is good imagery, but my brain tells me it prefers a complex set of muscles. Don’t ask me why? The poem is very clever. Must be going crazy, because I swear I read another verse. Never mind that. Tell my brain to behave. Fantastic. (Fantastic place. Quiet brain!)

Good luck with your endeavours,
Francis




User avatar


Points: 250
Reviews: 1

Donate
Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:18 am



Hello, this poem is rather clever, not going to lie. I like how you are saying all the nice things you like about your brain, but by the end, you are just pleading to go to sleep. This is so relatable... When I read the last sentence it made me laugh. The flow and pace of your words are great too!




User avatar


Points: 194
Reviews: 4

Donate
Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:18 am
Notsi says...



Hey hey! Notsi here,

I really enjoyed the rhyme scheme and the flow of words. Its short and simple yet there's thought within it. I must ask though: Why did you categorize the poem as humor?
I will also say that I feel as though we all think our brains can be sucky because sometimes we get stuck in it. Despite it, I enjoy the poem. I believe I will continue to look into your pieces.

Much love.




Horisun says...


Thank you! I felt this poem had a more light hearted energy, and the general tone didn't really fit any other genre, at least to me! However, I will admit I was a bit torn as to where I'd put this.



Notsi says...


Fair enough! I would've maybe put it under dramatic because of the more philosophical bit.



User avatar
967 Reviews


Points: 97
Reviews: 967

Donate
Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:49 pm
vampricone6783 wrote a review...



I loved reading this poem! I can relate,I do stay awake at night with ideas.But how can anyone not? The inspiration comes late at night,when no one else is around to bother you.Is it annoying? Yes,it can be,most of the time,but we’re all lucky to have our imaginations.Great poem! I enjoyed it! I hope you have a wonderful and awesome day and night!




Horisun says...


Thank you! :D



User avatar
25 Reviews


Points: 155
Reviews: 25

Donate
Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:27 pm
VintageGirl wrote a review...



Book_Dragon here for a super quick review.

I absolutely love this. And I definitely relate! (Honestly, could my brain just shut up for a few minutes so I can fall asleep. I'm running on two hours and it isn't healthy).

All in all, great poem! I don't have any suggestions or other comments. Excellent job, and keep writing!

-Me




Horisun says...


Thank you for the review!




The wince that you wince when you see your quote in the quote generator is quite a wince, I tell ya. To know that the whole YWS community has read and judged your quote is quite an awkward feeling like oh noes. *manly blush*
— Arcticus