Mommy-o and Mommy-ette

by HolographicLadybug

Mommy-o and Mommy-ette

By Holographic Ladybug

Cast

Tommy-

A little boy

Mom-

Tommy's mother

Act One

(Curtain opens. There is a bed down-center, a bookcase next to the bed, and a door stage-left. Tommy is laying in the bed.)

Tommy: Mooooooommmyyyyyy!

Mom: (Enters through door) Yes Tommy?

Tommy: I'm ready for my bedtime story.

Mom: Ok. (Investigates the shelf) I can't find the book.

Tommy: Is it in the cold room where we store the dead bodies?

Mom: Have you been reading to the dead bodies again?

Tommy: Mayyybee......

Mom: Oh, ok. I'll have a look. (Exits through the door)

(Curtain closes)

Act Two

(Curtain opens. Tommy is still laying in bed. Mom enters.)

Tommy: Hi Mommy.

Mom: I'm sorry, Sweetie, but I can't find the book.

Tommy: It's ok. I wanted to tell you a story, anyway.

Mom: Oh?

Tommy: It's called Mommy-o and Mommy-ette.

Mom: Um... Ok?

Tommy: Once upon a time, there was a mommy named Mommy-ette.

One day, Mommy-ette went to a department store while eating a burrito. But she ran into Mommy-o, who was also eating one. They poisoned each other's burritos in anger. They died ten minutes later. The end.

Mom: Oh!

(Curtain closes)

The End

Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:26 pm
BellaRoma wrote a review...

Hey, HolographicLadybug. Bella here (nice to meet you). Happy Review Day! :)

Okay, further to what the last reviewer said, you can easily re-classify this as a script in the 'edit work' mode (I'm pretty sure). Mysterious is right, this is definitely a playscript, not a short story.
Other than that, I'm pretty impressed for such a relatively short piece. I love how casually Tommy mentions the "dead bodies" as part of a completely innocent conversation about a bedtime story. Great twist!
For me, I interpreted this story as being about trust and the impact of 'evil' on this. More after Tommy's little 'story', which was so simple, like the child, and yet so... meaningful. Whether intentional or not, I think this shows that you have great skill as a playwright.
I should be intrigued to see this developed and/or extended, for example to get a little more of the Mum's reaction, and some context (I mean... bodies!) on this conversation.

That's all from me. Keep writing!

~Bella~

Thanks. I'll check about the reclassification. Thanks again!

Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:55 am
mysteriouswriter08 wrote a review...

Short, dark, and CUTE! So Mommy-ette and Mommy-o can't eat a burrito in the department store, ne? (it's how it is in the Philippines-you can't eat or drink inside a department store) And they poisoned each other because they did not just bump into each other, they were also eating the same kind of burrito, and.. it escalated quickly. XD It's also funny how a little boy can imagine that kind of story! Overall, I'm giving it a thumbs-up! Cheers to you!

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:18 am
xenamunroe says...

Hello holographic! Rosa here with a simple review.
To start I want to address how your work was catagorized, your story was posted as a short story but it's writing style is easilly recognized as a play script so it was rather confusing.

That's all for criticism, onto some praise and encouragement!

I do see the humor though and I thought it was rather cute considering the dark tones that's in Tommy's story.

I also like how your title came into the story, very cleve!

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed your review :)

Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:17 am
xenamunroe wrote a review...

I always knew that deep down in every human heart, there is mercy and generosity. No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.
— Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom