Divine Inspiration

by EtCetera

My hand reflects my work
Callused fingertips
Ink-stains rampant.
My work reflects my soul
Raging emotions
Tumultuous feeling.
My soul reflects my God
Infinitely wise
Author of inspiration.
My God guides my hand.

Andie says...

wow, I really liked it. It was a relatable poem but also was unique to your writing style. I don't agree with some of the comments that you need to add commas, I like it just the way it is. Good job : )

Thu May 05, 2011 2:54 am
mellophone7 wrote a review...

I honestly did not notice that the first, fourth, seventh, and tenth lines were connected until I read it for, like, the third time. Of course, I read this at, like, ten o'clock at night after a very exhausting school day, and I'm not being very observant. Anyway, I love this. Short, sweet, with feelings still leaping off the page. Great job!!

Tue May 03, 2011 5:49 am
MiRaCLeS wrote a review...

Nice poem, short and sweet. Love the title as well. Although, may I suggest breaking it into stanzas? Like this:

EtCetera wrote:My hand reflects my work
Callused fingertips
Ink-stains rampant.

My work reflects my soul
Raging emotions
Tumultuous feeling.

My soul reflects my God
Infinitely wise
Author of inspiration.

My God guides my hand.

It divides up equally. Looks easier to read too.

Also, I like the ever going cycle you have there and your one-worded, concise adjectives you use in the poem. It's short, but it says much more than a bunch of weak adjectives bundled together. Can't really see anything to critique on. So, yes: charming, short poem :).

Tue May 03, 2011 3:53 am
HIGHWHITESOCKS wrote a review...

This poem is absolutely marvelous. It's a wonderful metaphor of divine inspiration! It's a circle, a cycle, a succession, it's a whole bunch of great stuff going on here. I like it a lot. Short, but not shy at all of a good message...

I like the whole theme of a chain here. From hand to work, from work to soul, from soul to God, and from God to hand. There's a sense of continuity here. Everything fits and winds together in a beautiful piece of literature. I think you've placed all the adjectives and nouns well. Your description of each part of the cycle is wonderful too. Vivid and easily transferring to the next part. All of your words harmonize wonderfully here. I like this poem very much :D

Keep writing, and don't put the cabosh on this theme of a cycle. Maybe consider using it again somewhere? It can stand on its own, or it can be used in a larger literary work, like a story or novel. Subtle devices like this are great ways to tie things together in grand schemes of stories and plots. I think you could really use it to your advantage!

Well, that's all I have for now. Wonderful work, and if you ever want another review, kind word, or something of the sort, feel free to drop me a line!
- SOCKS

Tue May 03, 2011 3:45 am
KatTrain wrote a review...

My hand reflects my work add comma here
Callused fingertips with
Ink-stains rampant.
My work reflects my soul add comma here
Raging emotions
Tumultuous feeling.
My soul reflects my God
Infinitely wise use something more creative to describe him, this sounds too plain
Author of inspiration. comma here instead of a period
My God guides my hand. great ending line!

Lovely work, keep writing!
-KatTrain

AdoxagraphyAngelus wrote a review...

This was short, sweet, and well-written. :)

My hand reflects my work
Callused fingertips
Ink-stains rampant.
My work reflects my soul
Raging emotions
Tumultuous feeling.
My soul reflects my God
Infinitely wise
Author of inspiration.
My God guides my hand. #FF0000 ">I love this line!

Awesome job.

You wake up in the morning and it feels impossible? Good. You do it anyway.
— Martin Scorcese