16+

Postcard

by Elinor

EXT. BEACH - DAY

A secluded area of an empty beach. The sun has just begun to set. MARY KNIGHT (18) hugs her knees to her chest, leaning against a hulking BACKPACK. Her clothes are worn hiking wear and her face is dirty and tired. She stares out into horizon; at the waves, at the streaks of pink in the sky.

Mary unzips a side pocket of her backpack, and takes out a POSTCARD with an image of a wild landscape, and a PEN.

She turns it over. The left corner reads “Sara Knight” and lists an address. On the right, it says, “I miss you. Love, Mary. P.S. It’s beautiful here.”

She looks at the postcard. Then back out at the beach. She digs back into her backpack, and takes out a Picture. It’s Mary, a few years younger, embracing SARA.

Mary closes her eyes. Briefly hears indistinct YELLING. She opens them again, and drowns out the noise with the beauty of the horizon.

She scrawls something onto the postcard, and puts it and the pen back into her backpack.

EXT. BEACH - FLASHBACK

Day. Mary collapses onto a park bench at the edge of the beach. She wears hiking clothes, carries the backpack, but they’re cleaner. Her face fresher.

She looks

She looks her lying could be.

up at the sky, and smiles widely.

back down, noticing a GIRL a few feet in front of on a towel, reading a book. It’s not Sara, but it

EXT. STREET - DAY

The sun is lower in the sky. Mary waves the post card in her hand as she walks. She has the streets all to herself. She approaches a MAILBOX, the YELLING in her head growing louder.

She takes a deep breath, and drops the postcard in the mailbox.

EXT. CAFE - DAY

Mary sits at a booth with a COFFEE CUP. She breathes heavily. Checks her watch several times.

For a moment, time to seems to freeze. Tears begin to form in her eyes.

Mary looks up, noticing a figure emerging. It’s Sara. She smiles tightly. Mary rises from her chair.

They share a cautious glance before embracing. 

Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:56 pm
ChocolateCello wrote a review...

Hey! Cello here for a review!

This was a cute story and you did a great job with the script set up. I could just imagine this as a short film in some sort of 'dialogue free' film festival. Not sure if you have the time or resources but I would encourage you to make this into an actual film.

One part felt a bit uncomfortable though.

She looks

She looks her lying could be.

up at the sky, and smiles widely.

It's just kind of... awkward. Maybe try 'Mary looks at the sky and smiles. He gaze shifts to a girl on a towel a few feel in front of her, reading a book. It's not Sara, but Mary wishes it was.' (Of course, add the needed capitalization) It's a lot clearer and makes things easier on the reader.

Completely random thing, but I keep imagining a little bell that hangs over a door ringing as Sara enters. Just a suggestion- I thought it might be cute ;)

Keep up the good work!
-ChocolateCello

Elinor says...

Hi Cello! I actually did make this into a film. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoagEa2m7uI

Not a hundred percent sure, but I feel like this bit is maybe some screwed up formatting?

She looks

She looks her lying could be.

up at the sky, and smiles widely.

It seems more like it's meant to read:

She looks up at the sky. She looks back down and smiles, noticing a girl lying a few feet away in front of a towel, reading a book. It's not Sara, but it could be.

Or something like that.

In other news, I know the assignment was "no dialogue," but MAN I am intrigued now. Not least by the "YELLING in her head," as I'm curious to know what she's hearing, exactly. (Does that count as dialogue? Alas, probably, if you actually wrote out what words she heard. Oh, well.)

Messed up formatting and unquenched curiosity aside, I enjoyed this. It was simple and I have a few different ideas for what could be going on here, which is kind of nice because I can choose whichever idea I like best. That said, if you ever decide to write more of this and expand on it outside of class, let me know. Because I would definitely be interested in reading more of it.

Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:35 am
artybirdy wrote a review...

Hello! I haven’t reviewed any scripts lately and, therefore, I might not be of much help.

You have portrayed a realistic issue and, because of its simplicity, not did I only understand it easily but I also enjoyed it. There are no dialogues and that makes it more meaningful; it’s like a silent film from the olden times. I liked it. From what I gathered because of “they share a cautious glance”, you tried to show us about Mary, a young girl who has left behind her family for Sara’s sake. At first, she’s afraid to give them a chance, perhaps, because of the society they live in. However, towards the end, it feels as if she can’t fight her feelings anymore. I might be wrong here. If so, I apologise.

I’ll point out a couple of things I found odd. Please excuse me if they should have been done like that. I’m not hugely familiar with scripts.

1. I understand their names should be capitalised, but why are words like “yelling”, “backpack”, “postcard”, “pen”, etc., capitalised?
2.

She looks
She looks her lying could be.

It’s not Sara, but it

These sentences are incomplete. The first one breaks abruptly and doesn’t make sense. Is this done on purpose, for a particular effect, or is it purely a mistake?
3.
EXT. BEACH – FLASHBACK

I felt that this flashback disrupted the natural flow. It’s a short passage and it’s quickly brushed over. That doesn’t fit in with the rest of them, where the progression is far more gradual. Perhaps, you could move it up, before she’s on a beach?

Great job!

Well done, and keep writing.

Elinor says...

Thanks for you review! :)

Yeah, names are capitalized as well as important sounds and props.

Huh, for some reason those lines got cut off when I pasted it here.

Thanks again :)

artybirdy says...

No problem! :)

Oh, I see. Thanks for telling me.

No man or woman who tries to pursue an ideal in his or her own way is without enemies.
— Daisy Bates