z

Young Writers Society


12+ Mature Content

Golden Girl (1/3)

by Elinor


“Alice?”

I could feel my heart pounding as I knocked on my sister’s bedroom door. It was nine-thirty in the morning, a Saturday. I was frightened that something had gone wrong. Alice considered herself a morning person, and was almost always the first one to rise. Sometimes she would even make breakfast for Isabel and I. Occasionally if she was tired or had a long day at the studio she would sleep in, but yesterday she’d gotten home at two and had spent the evening relaxing. It was not the sort of day that would have made her sleep in past nine.

“Alice?” I said again, this time louder. Perhaps she was awake and didn’t hear me. Sometimes she’d lie in bed and read if she didn’t think anyone else in the family was awake or she didn’t have to be at the movie studio until later and wanted to ease into the morning.

No response. Cautiously, I opened the door. It was eerily silent. Alice wasn’t in sight. The sheets on her bed were unmade, and the clothes she’d worn the day before were draped over the side of the bed; she usually took her dirty clothes down to wash in the morning.

Before I could consider what had happened, I felt the humid August air against my arms and I noticed the door to her balcony was open. As the curtains flowed gently in the breeze, a foul smell entered the room. I was afraid of what I would see but I knew in my gut that I had to advance toward the door.

That’s when I stepped in a pool of blood. I didn’t register it until I swung the door open and saw Alice’s limp body lying on the balcony. Her white nightdress was stained red, and blood caked her arms, legs, and matted her black hair.

On instinct, my whole body shook and I turned away, covering my mouth with my hand. Then I screamed louder than I’d ever screamed before. A million emotions crossed my mind at once, and I felt numb from the shock of seeing my sister lying dead. Somehow, I understood that she was gone, that I would never see her again, but how her death would change my life, how much I would miss her—it didn’t occur to me then.

I kneeled on the floor, facing away frommy sister, and I began to sob uncontrollably. I’d seen Alice in the dining room not twelve hours ago, when she’d fixed tea for the both of us after Isabel had already gone to bed. We’d talked about school and the latest movie she was working on downtown. It was funny, because Alice had been acting in movies for three years now—since she was fifteen—and already she was beginning to be famous in her own right. Our father was equally famous though, since he ran a big steel company, but he was the one people hated. In their eyes, he represented everything people hated about corporate America, especially since it was the Depression and we were one of the last few families that still had money. Not that I’d want my father dead…but why would anyone kill Alice? Everyone loved her. She was eighteen years old, still had a lot of life to live and movies to star in.

That was when I heard a set of footsteps jolting up the stairs, and before I knew it I felt my father’s strong arms against my shoulders. He must have heard me scream and come to see what was the matter. When he saw what I saw, his body froze in stiff silence for a second or so, and then he released me from his arms, he overturned a nearby table with a potted plant on it’s side, shattering the vase into tiny pieces.

Then he screamed, except his was a scream of rage, not fear.

When he caught his breath, he turned to me.

“Clara,” he said. “Go downstairs and keep your mother and sister some company. I’ll be down in a minute.”

Not sure what to say, I nodded and darted down the stairs without question. The details of our home whizzed by in a blur, but somehow I was able to find my way to the patio where we always eat breakfast in the summertime.

Breakfast was laid out, and my mother held Isabel’s hand—their faces were both frozen in fear.

I approached them, and upon noticing the seat where Alice was supposed to sit, I broke down again into uncontrollable sobbing. I collapsed into my chair, trying to form words, but none came.

“What’s the matter?” Isabel asked. She scooted her chair closer to mine and let me place my head on her shoulder to cry.

Somehow I found enough energy to speak. “Alice is dead.”

“What?” Isabel said, gently gesturing for me to sit up. “How is that possible? I played her a piece on the piano last night—after dinner.”

“I had tea with her after.”

“What’s your father doing?” Mother said. Her voice was empty, weak, without feeling.

“I don’t know.”

We sat for a moment in silence, none of us knowing what to say. Mother burst into tears. My whole body felt heavy, like I was in some sort of trance—this couldn’t have been actually happening. Isabel, who pounded her firsts against the table, screamed, and stormed upstairs to her bedroom, broke my stupor. My mother and I regarded her but we were in too much shock to do anything. My sister had never been all there, and this sort of reaction was normal for her.

My father came downstairs then. “Where’s Isabel?” He said wearily.

“She just went upstairs,” I said.

“How did she die?” My mother asked.

“Someone killed her,” said father. “I don’t know how they got into our house…” His face was tight with rage and I was afraid he was going to break something else in our house, but instead he sat down next to my mother and cried in her arms. I don’t think I’d ever seen my father show emotion, and it was jarring to watch. “I called the police. They should be over soon. Make sure Isabel comes downstairs.”

We sat there, in those chairs, for what like forever. I was numb to the rest of the world, to the Los Angeles skyline in the horizon, the food sitting untouched on the table. I couldn’t get the image, the smell of Alice lying dead out of my head; she was such a wonderful person. Everyone loved her, and she had been killed so violently. I thought of Will Summers, who was probably out at his car dealership by now, trying to stay cool—unaware of the news we’d have to break to him later today. He and Alice loved each other very much—every time he came over to the house it was obvious to everyone.

A few minutes before the police arrived, Isabel rejoined us on the patio.

“Who killed her?” She demanded.

We stared at her blankly.

“Who killed her?” She asked, raising her voice.

“I don’t know, sweetie,” Father said. “The police should be here soon and we’re going to figure out?”

Then Isabel screamed and stormed back upstairs. A minute later we heard her playing the piano. I sat there silently with Mother and Father, not knowing what to say.

“Just leave her be for now,” said Father.

The rest of the day was a blur. We waited there, sitting silently, not saying anything. After what felt like an hour, my mother called Will Summers and told him to come over to the house and—trying not to choke-broke the news. Father was somehow able to get Isabel to calm down and make her come downstairs.

Will arrived shortly after everyone else. There were photographers that had to take photos of the crime scene for the case file. Then the doctors took her body away, and Alice’s bedroom was walled off. It was all a blur; about a half dozen officers from the LAPD were in and out of our house.

Will came when a detective was making introductions in the living room.

“I’m Detective Clark,” he said. He was a man of about forty, strong, athletic. When he shook my hand, he gave an aura that made it impossible not to trust him. He started to say something when he turned and saw will coming through the door, his eyes red, his blond hair a mess. “Excuse me, who are you?”

“I’m Will,” he said quietly.

“What’s your relationship to Alice Adams?”

“Her boyfriend….c-can I see her?”

“She’s already been taken in to the medical office,” Detective Clark said. “Perhaps later.”

“I thought Will might know something,” Mother said. “That’s why I told him to come over.”

“I don’t know anything!” Will shrieked. “If I did….”

“Shut up,” Father said angrily. “You’re a rotten piece of trash and you won’t be welcome in this house after today.”

“Alright,” Clark said. “Why don’t the five of you have a seat?”

We all sat down on the couch. Father and Will sat at opposite ends. For whatever reason—even though they had dated for a year and a half—my parents hated him, didn’t think he could be trusted and was just after our money. But that wasn’t true—he loved Alice, and Alice loved him.

“Now, can each of you tell me where you were last night?”

I spoke first. “I was home. After dinner, I went up to my bedroom to read. Alice came in at around nine pm and asked if I wanted tea. I said yes. She made the tea for us both down in the kitchen. I asked about Isabel—”

“I was already asleep.”

“I was just about to say that,” I said to Isabel, my voice in a nasty tone that I didn’t often use. “Anyway, we had tea. And then we both went to bed. And I woke up this morning and found her dead.”

The image came into my head again. I as best as I could to block it out, but it wouldn’t budge. I shook and started to cry. The detective waited patiently as Isabel let me put my head on her shoulder again.

“Okay,” Detective Clark said once I had stopped crying. “Was there anything in Alice’s tone that made her seem scared, nervous—anything out of the ordinary?”

I tried to think. “No,” I said.

He then turned to Will. “When was the last time you saw Miss Adams?”

Will paused. “Two days ago,” he said. “She came over to the car dealership where I work after she was done was done shooting a movie for the day.

“How long did you spend together?”

“Um, I don’t know, about an hour,” Will said. “I had to work, you know.” I noticed that he was looking at his feet, trying to avoid eye contact with the detective.

“Mhmm.” Detective Clark wrote everything we said down in his notepad.

“Have you guys had any fights recently?”

“No.”

“He’s lying,” Father said.

We all turned him, and he began to speak, his eyes on Isabel and I. “Don’t either of you remember what happened two weeks ago? When Alice came home crying from Will’s and the two of you consoled her? She wouldn’t tell me what had happened, but I have a pretty good idea.” He spoke about Will as if he wasn’t even there.

“It was about something stupid,” Will said. “We made up after that.” He looked over Mother and Father. “Come on—we spend almost every day together. I was just here three days ago. Did it look like we were fighting?”

“Kids keep everything from parents these days,” said Mother.

“What were you two fighting about, Will?” asked Detective Clark. While we spoke, he regarded us intently. I assumed it was all part of his job—to not only interpret words but also to investigate body languages, speech patterns.

“It was stupid,” Will said.

“What was it?”

“The last time she was over at my house,” Will said slowly, “She left her hat there. I saw it and put it on my nightstand, meaning to give it to her the next time she was over. It must have fallen over and I didn’t realize—because when she was over the next time, she saw it and got mad. We weren’t really that angry at each other…we were both just stressed with work. She called me later that night to apologize.”

“Are you sure you didn’t have any fights after that?” asked the detective.

“I’m sure,” said Will.

There was an awkward silence. And then, “Will, why don’t you come down to the station with us?”

“Am I under arrest? I didn’t kill her! I swear!”

“No, we just think that you can maybe help us out a little more.”

Will started crying, but he knew he had no choice. My parents both had smug looks on their faces. Isabel was dead to the world.

“We’re going now,” said the detective. “I’ll be back tomorrow for further questions.”

Father nodded. After they left, we sat there, not saying anything.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
31 Reviews


Points: 3351
Reviews: 31

Donate
Tue May 28, 2013 5:09 pm
Shindig wrote a review...



I saw that you posted part 3/3, and I thought I should check out part 1 first.

You don't seem to have many glaring grammatical or syntactical problems, so in my review I will just let you know some things that crossed my mind as I read.

- First, I liked how it began. Could easily capture the eeriness of the scene in my head. Another reviewer mentioned this, but saying "That’s when I stepped in a pool of blood" felt abrupt and didn't fit well into the scene you created. I would suggest just trying to describe the blood and, in a way, let the reader deduce for themselves what is happening.

- Something about the scene where Clara tells the others that Alice is dead didn't seem realistic. My first nitpick here is, could they not hear her scream? She was outside on the balcony and they are outside on the patio, so I feel like they would definitely have heard her if she "screamed louder than [she'd] ever screamed before". Also, I imagine that the mother would try to rush upstairs or something upon hearing the news that her daughter is dead, but perhaps the dad would stop her as he arrived outside and would settle her back down on the patio again (so your scene continues the way it did). I dunno. That's just me.

- I think you meant to say "I tried as best as I could" when you wrote "I as best as I could to block it out, but it wouldn’t budge".

- I like how the memory of her sister's body haunts her a couple of times, and it would be interesting to see this persist throughout the story with increasing intensity through hallucinations, dreams, etc. I know you've completed your story, but it's just an idea.

- You say "in a blur" too often. The piece isn't long enough for it to be unnoticeable :p

- Hinting that Will may be hiding something was a good idea, helps keep me interested in the plot.

At this point, I think some of the character relationships need clarification. For example, when Clara spoke to Isabel with a nasty tone and then soon after rested her head on her shoulder for comfort, it left me a bit confused (but I'm guessing it was just her emotional state that had her reacting the way that she did). But all in all, it's an interesting set up :D

~a2sd




User avatar
229 Reviews


Points: 11589
Reviews: 229

Donate
Sun May 26, 2013 9:15 pm
SushiSashimi333 wrote a review...



Sometimes she would even make breakfast for Isabel and I.
I think that the "I" is supposed to be a me since it's at the end of a sentence.
A million emotions crossed my mind at once, and I felt numb from the shock of seeing my sister lying dead.
This sentence is a little too wordy, when suspense or shock or an enormous amount of emotion is being felt by the main character then it would be best to use short and choppy sentences. It allows a reader's mind to start building up panic and shock along with the character.
facing away frommy sister
Thought that you might wanna see this little spacing mistake here.
but he was the one people hated. In their eyes, he represented everything people hated about corporate America,
I think that it was a little too early to use the word "hated" again, maybe a synonym like despised, or something.
When he saw what I saw, his body froze in stiff silence for a second or so, and then he released me from his arms, he overturned a nearby table with a potted plant on it’s side, shattering the vase into tiny pieces.
This is one really long sentence, I think it would be easier just to break it into tiny more suspenseful sentences.
but somehow I was able to find my way to the patio where we always eat breakfast in the summertime.
I think that you're giving a little too much information. Only tell us what we need to know, details about where they eat in the summer is a little too much.
We sat for a moment in silence, none of us knowing what to say. Mother burst into tears.
One second it seems like things are deadly silent and then the mother is crying, seems a little too sudden.
We sat there, in those chairs, for what like forever.
The last part doesn't seem very realistic, her sister just died and she is coming across as joking even though she just broke down. Her personality seems to be a little split right now, sensitive and reasonable to sarcastic.
A minute later we heard her playing the piano.
You don't have to take my advice on this but I thought it might be a good time to show better how Is was really feeling. Mad, irritated, sad or confused, she could play it through a melody on the piano or something.
It was all a blur;
You had already said this once before in the paragraph above.
“Are you sure you didn’t have any fights after that?” asked the detective.
Here the "asked" should be capitalized.
Now onto the good parts! :D I really liked your description of Alice's corpse, it was very descriptive and helped set the mood. Your topic was interesting but your beginning made it all a little obvious that something was wrong with Alice and that she had probably died. The fact that it took a while to get to her death discovery draws it out too much. I am curious as to why the parents hate Will so much and it makes me suspicious, was their fight really about some hat falling over or something more serious? I look forward to reading the second part of this story!




User avatar
378 Reviews


Points: 3775
Reviews: 378

Donate
Sun May 26, 2013 1:55 am
Omni wrote a review...



Hey, Elinor!

A review just for you because you begged and begged me to do it asked for it!

So, without further ado, let's begin this!

I was frightened that something had gone wrong.


This sentence, for some reason, just doesn't sit right with me. It seems somewhat simple and out of place compared to the rest of the beginning. The beginning was so good, but I think this sentence brought it down somewhat. It's just a simple sentence in itself and I think you should add some more depth to it.

Alice wasn’t in sight.


This could have been a bit more subtle. I think it would have came across better if you had eased into it and created more intensity.

That’s when I stepped in a pool of blood. I didn’t register it until I swung the door open and saw Alice’s limp body lying on the balcony. Her white nightdress was stained red, and blood caked her arms, legs, and matted her black hair.


I don't know why, but like the first sentence I posted here, this just doesn't seem right. It doesn't seem to create the kind of atmosphere that this scene would have normally been. I don't know if you wanted it that way, but that's just me.

Overall, this story is great! It kept getting better, but I think that the beginning was a little rocky. Other than that, pure excellence. I cannot wait to read the next parts, although I might not review them.

Hope this helped you,
Aquestioning.




User avatar
86 Reviews


Points: 3223
Reviews: 86

Donate
Sun May 26, 2013 12:01 am
Tabithalillian wrote a review...



Hi! A review just in time for review day!

So i'm going to start out with the positive and there was a lot of positive in this piece. Your voice is very strong and really mature. You've got a really nicely developed style that is easy to read, interesting, and easy to comprehend on the first read. You know what I mean? Sometimes I find myself having to go back and reread pieces to make sense of them or of certain lines. But your was very clean and clear and well written. Kudos!

You also started out with a rip-roaring introduction that caught my attention. I like the simplicity of your writing style and I think that added to the authenticity of the first scene where she discovers her sister, dead. The first paragraph even peaked my curiosity and made me want to continue reading the piece.

Okay now for the crit! I think your story feels very authentic and believable, right up until her mother and father are introduced. Something about the dialog between her mother, her and her other sister feels forced and awkward. Not really appropriate to the amount of grief they are supposed to be feeling. Even when her father first comes up to the bedroom to find his daughter dead, he screams then seems to immediately calm down. I know he doesn't but I think you could find another way of describing this so it doesn't seem so cold and immediate. When Isabel comes downstairs demanding to know who killed her, I understand she is probably irrational as a result of shock but this also seemed kind of overboard and awkward. I just didn't buy it and I couldn't picture it happening like I could with most of the other story.

I realize that this is only the first chapter but I think that the father might need a little more development as a character? The mother, the boyfriend, even the two sisters I get a pretty good feel for their character in such a short time. But the father just seems kind of cold and empty. He obviously cares a lot about his daughters and so far to me he just seems kind of like a Mr. Banks from Mary Popins. Now for the nitty gritty--

facing away frommy sister

Okay this is reaaaally picky but don't forget your space there!

I kneeled on the floor, facing away from my sister,

I think kneeled might also be grammatically correct but it felt kind of awkward to me. "Knelt" might work better and flow a little more smoothly.

I was numb to the rest of the world, to the Los Angeles skyline in the horizon, the food sitting untouched on the table.

This one sentence made me go back and reread a couple of times to try and make sense of it. Maybe something more like :
I was numb to the rest of the world, from the Los Angeles skyline to the food sitting, untouched, on the table."

Overall though you had a really strong piece! Happy review day and I look forward to more!!





You're a hairy, wizard!
— EllieMae