z

Young Writers Society


Language

Firegirl (1)

by Elinor


I woke to a warm breeze and something tickling against my back. I opened my eyes, jarred. I was lying in the grass in Siegel Park. It must have still been early, because I looked around, and thank god, no one noticed me. Well, there were a few people out and about, but no one that was staring at least. How did I get here? I stood up, noticing that I was wearing white leggings and a purple dress.

I felt my heart thump as I tried to remember. There was a party; Stephanie Whitman’s. I’d gone with Elissa. Neither of us much liked her, but we went. The white leggings and purple dress; what I’d worn. My shoes had somehow gone missing though. Elissa wanted to leave. I didn’t. Nothing after that. Absolutely nothing. Well, no. I remember what I think were dreams. Or memories? They were wisps of my past. I also seem to remember a pair of eyes. Light blue eyes that belonged to the face of someone that wasn’t that much older than me.

As I stood up, I was blinded by the sunlight. I hadn’t been here in years, but it was as if nothing had changed. The swing set, the jungle gym; it was all exactly how I remembered it. Then, I saw some kids, maybe middle school aged, sitting on top of it, just like Elissa and I had done.

I wasn’t far from home. I looked forward to crawling back into changing into my fuzzy PJs and maybe watching a movie. I would also vow never to drink that much ever again. After all, it was finally summer, I was graduated and I had the whole summer to do what I wanted without having to worry about anything else. Except Mom bothering me, maybe.

It was really a perfect day; warm, sunny, a slight breeze, but not too hot. Almost too perfect. I started to approach the Starbucks and a tinge of relief that I was close to home and that soon I would be able to relax and forget about this whole thing.

I froze when I noticed Stephanie Whitman come out of the Starbucks, iced coffee in hand. Frankly, she looked like crap.

I wanted to say something to her. Maybe she had some idea of what happened. But she walked right by me. Didn’t even notice me. As she got into her car, but not before fumbling with the keys, I suddenly remembered more.

At the party, I’d been talking to Chris Jensen. Then Elissa came out of nowhere, her clothes stained with some kind of drink, and insisted I take her home.

Out followed Carlie Moss. She seemed to be in slightly better shape, but not by much.

“I’m still in shock, you know?” Carlie said.

Stephanie nodded. Before I could say or do anything, they got in their car and drove away.

Impulsively I went inside the Starbucks. I stood in the entryway for a minute, and I could smell the coffee and pastries from behind the counter. I felt weak and lightheaded, and knew that a vent mocha frappuccino would be heaven right now.

I looked down again, and realized my leggings were stained with dirt. I had no money, and I wasn’t wearing shoes. I needed to go home, shower, change, and maybe come out again. If my mom didn’t kill me, that was.

I saw someone sitting at one of the tables playing on their phone. I approached them.

“What time is it?” I asked.

They continued to do what they were doing.

“Excuse me?”

They looked up at me, and I could tell they were judging me.

“What time is it?”

They looked at their phone.

“It’s nine.” Nine. There was a chance Mom was still in bed, but knowing my luck, she was probably already up.

“Thanks.”

I left the Starbucks, and as more about last night came back to me, I began to feel more and more uneasy. 

Elissa and I had been driving. I don’t remember actually dropping her off at home, and I don’t remember going home, but she and my car were nowhere in sight, so I must have wandered out here in the middle of the night after I dropped the both of us off. My phone, wallet and shoes were probably in my car or in my room.

Fuck.

I am never drinking that much ever again.

As I got a block or so away from my house, I saw that a bunch of police cars parked in front of it.

Come on, Mom. Really unnecessary. 

Before I could go any further, I felt a rough hand cover my mouth and something hitting my head.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
841 Reviews


Points: 664
Reviews: 841

Donate
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:18 pm
Radrook wrote a review...



Thanks for sharing this interesting chapter about a girl who awakens in a park and can’rt remember what happened at a party. I like the way that drama is increased gradually via the presentation of events that all seem baffling to the young lady. I also like the way that the story leaves me wondering what will happen next. That is very essential in getting the reader to continue on to the next chapter. Also, the girl‘s personality gradually comes through in the monologue, she doesn’t like to be hemmed in by her mother’s rules. She is a sociable person who likes to be at parties.

The beginning of the story is also interesting. What is a young lady doing on a park bench alone asleep. Why doesn’t she remember what happened at te party. was she drugged, raped and deposited on that bench? So drama is immediately established via conflict and that is good in keeping the reader’s interest riveted on the story. So overall I found this an interesting read.

Suggestions

If a tickling sensation is mentioned then it’s source should be explained. I kept waiting but it was never mentioned again. If indeed it has no significance then it only serves to distract.

The writing of God as “god” distracted me. Why would the authore write it that way? Does it indicate atheism? Agnosticism? Devil worship? A contwempt for religion?

I opened my eyes, jarred. [This doesn’t convey anything. What is it that jarred?]

. . . . but no one that was staring at least.
[ . . . . but at least no one that was staring.]


The white leggings and purple dress; what I’d worn.
[White leggings and a purple dress is what I had worn. ]

I looked forward to crawling back into changing into my fuzzy PJs . . . .
[I looked forward to crawling back into my fuzzy PJs . . . .]


. . . . approach the Starbucks and a tinge of relief . . . .]
[. . . . approach the Starbucks and felt a tinge of relief . . . .]

Criss Jenson, Ellissa, Carly Moss?

Too many characters mentioned without proper introduction. As a reader I could not visualize any of them nor cared to. If a character is going to be introduced, then it is recommended that we take your time to describe them physically and provide some background. Otherwise leaving them for later is best.

I saw someone sitting at one of the tables playing on their phone. I approached them.
[I saw a group of men sitting at one of the tables playing on their phones. I approached them.]

Someone = singular
Them = plural

"They looked up at me, and I could tell they were judging me.”

Describe what was it about the way they looked at you that led you to that conclusion. Don’t leave it up to the reader’s imagination. The reader might not have the memory-experience to fill in those gaps.

Fuck.
[Fuck!]

Before I could go any further, I felt a rough hand cover my mouth and something hitting my head.

[Before I could go any farther, I felt a calloused hand cover my mouth and something heavy hitting the back of my head.]

http://www.differencebetween.net/langua ... d-farther/

The more specific the better.
-------------------------------

Looking forward to reading more of your work.




User avatar
896 Reviews


Points: 240
Reviews: 896

Donate
Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:19 am
View Likes
PenguinAttack wrote a review...



Hey Eli,

It's nice to see you working on a novel rather than a script, it's always cool to branch out a little bit and see what's going on in other genres and text types. You've been writing for some time and I feel like you can take some tough love, which is what I'm going to dish out to you (oh no!).

This isn't, at the moment, terribly good. Your introduction to the character and their situation is incredibly stilted, and the entire piece lacks a sense of natural flow. This might be because your brain is still working in scriptwriting terms. You describe everything as a statement, and it very quickly feels like "This happened and then this happened" which really means you've fallen into that awful trap of telling over showing. As that's normal for a script it's not surprising that your brain might not have reoriented to what a novel needs, which is a bit more depth in the writing as a whole. Scripts rely on quality plots and quality dialogue, but the backbone of the novel is paragraphs of explanation and plot.

"I stood up. It was sunny. I came here before. Nothing has changed. Generic park things." that's the kind of thing I'm reading at the moment and it doesn't feel real. What does this girl actually feel, does she just stand up with no trouble, does she dust off her skirt, does she squint in the sun, does she feel the sharp grass blades, has it been a dry summer etc. I want to know things that no one cares about but that make it actually real. Right now it isn't real.

I think you need to seriously edit this. In each paragraph think about what someone would actually be doing, how their thoughts actually work. I don't know if you've ever been drunk, or on heavy medication or something and then woken up afterward confused and blah, but this isn't what it looks or sounds like. When I was about 16 I was in the hospital because I fell down the stairs and they gave me morphine - at this point we realised I was allergic to morphine - but anyway, when I woke up I remembered talking to my brother, who hadn't visited me. I remembered lights and sounds and vagueness and it was a bit blurry and grey at the edges and I couldn't work out what was real and what wasn't and why I felt so bloody awful (I threw up a lot). Waking up with a hangover is different but similar, sometimes memories take a while to come back, your head hurts, your mouth is dry and when you swallow it tastes like you've not brushed your teeth in eighteen days. That's what I'm missing here. I know she's dead or damaged or something else supernatural but she'd still have the typical symptoms of a hard night out. She doesn't feel like a real person because you're not showing us, you're just telling us.

Also, she stands up at the end of paragraph one and then at the start of paragraph three and I can see how it might be "while I was doing that earlier action" but it doesn't work because it's too close and how does she notice her leggings as she's blinded by the sun?

The premise of this is fine and your main character is probably fine (I can't at the moment because she hasn't much personality, which it often the case with first chapters). You're letting yourself down with description. Add to this, give me those small pointless details and maybe try reading this out loud. It's not a script, and I know you're aware of that, but it's reading like you're not.

This is a pretty blunt review on my part and I've not gone line to line or anything because your problems are all encompassing in terms of description + flow. If you have any questions or you want me to go line by line with suggestions of how to add flow and description without changing the essence of your story, hit me up.

- Pen.




User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:54 am
View Likes
Lightsong wrote a review...



Hey! I'm here for a quick review (since I'm using my phone >.>)!

It must have still been early, because I looked around, and thank god, no one noticed me.


Eh. By this sentence alone, I can imagine another possibility - maybe it's night. It doesn't say much about what time is it. Your first sentence about waking up to a warm breeze implies that more, although it's still can be said the warmth might be at morning, afternoon, or evening. It's at third paragraph when you mention 'blinded by sunlight' that I know what time is it. Make it clearer in this quoted sentence.

I stood up, noticing that I was wearing white leggings and a purple dress.


Descriptive, but not overly so. Just enough for me to imagine it. I like that.

Light blue eyes that belonged to the face of someone that wasn’t that much older than me.


Three 'that' - a serious case of repetition when one is enough. 'Light blue eyes belonging to the face of someone that wasn't much older than me'. Watch our for things like this. Often times, 'that' can always be dropped and the sentence's meaning and structure are still maintained.

After all, it was finally summer, I was graduated and I had the whole summer to do what I wanted without having to worry about anything else.


For flow's sake, better to end the first part at summer. Rephrase the second one since 'I was graduated' sounds like it's happening rather than already happened, to 'I had graduated and had the whole summer to do what I wanted'. Cut part after 'wanted'. I think to that point, reader can understand she can do anything she wants without being worried at anything else, and you don't have to tell them about it again.

I froze when I noticed Stephanie Whitman come out of the Starbucks, iced coffee in hand.


'came out'. I don't think this is the same case of 'she made him [present tense verb]', but Imma look it up later. I think 'come' should be in the past tense for now. There are other instances like this where you should use the past tense.

But she walked right by me. Didn’t even notice me.


A perfect opportunity to use the dash instead of period - I see none of it in this chapter! Would be better if you varied the punctuations. You seem to be content with just using semicolon, period, etc.

As I got a block or so away from my house, I saw that a bunch of police cars parked in front of it.


Another instance where you can drop the 'that' and lose nothing, but make it tighter.

Anyway, I like this chapter. It reveals to us so much, withour giving us too much information. Totally curious about what's happened during the party. Given Carlie's statement, it must be something unexpected, and what could that be in an event crowded with drunk teenagers and whatnot? Plus, Elissa's cloth is stained. Something unexpected and not good must has happened then. The intrigue! This is effective to pull your readers to read more.

How does Izzy end up there? I think this is where the fantasy part comes in? Talking about fantasy, I love it that you're incorporating it in a modern setting. It'd be more interesting like this - to have a fantastical (and by extension, magical) thing that can be beyond one's comprehension. Right now, it's sort of like thriller novel, what with the polices and someone covering Izzy's mouth and hit her. I'm curious to see the nature of the fantasy here.

I'd also like to know more about Izzy so that I can understand her character. Also, you should put language warning for this chapter. ;) That's all. Keep up the good job! :D




User avatar
28 Reviews


Points: 103
Reviews: 28

Donate
Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:14 pm
ErikaHale says...



A clever write up. Your a talent for descriptions is conspicuous, and I love how the chapter ends with such suspense. Can't wait to read the next chapter! :)




User avatar
472 Reviews


Points: 25
Reviews: 472

Donate
Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:50 am
Lightsong says...



Remind me too... read this. ;)




Pretzelstick says...


Beep bop



Lightsong says...


xD Fine, fine~ :3



User avatar
44 Reviews


Points: 115
Reviews: 44

Donate
Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:26 am
View Likes
SkyeWalker says...



Ooh. Drama. I think I'll follow this.




User avatar
161 Reviews


Points: 3485
Reviews: 161

Donate
Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:20 am
Sassafras wrote a review...



Okay first before getting into other things, I want to get out of the way some of the more technical stuff I noticed about your piece. So lets get started ^^

My shoes had somehow gone missing though. Elissa wanted to leave. I didn’t. Nothing after that. Absolutely nothing. Well, no.

A strategically placed ellipse could break up this rush of sentences. The short, rapid delivery does a good job early on in establishing the MC's panicked thoughts, but in the end it simply ends up as too much and becomes excessive.

looked forward to crawling back into [?] changing into my fuzzy PJs


I know this was probably just a slip of the brain, but you forgot to mention what she was crawling into here.

Impulsively#00BF00 ">, I went inside the Starbucks.

----

And that's all! I really did like this as an intro. You did a good job of building and maintaining tension and that sense that something was off or wasn't going to go well for our main character. That made me want to keep reading to find out more about the party and what happened, etc. I did notice a lapse in the tension there around the middle, a part where the story's tone took a sudden turn, but whatever I was feeling there, you recovered from it nicely.

So far it has a nice pace. I don't feel as if we've wasted too much time on any spot or detail. There is really not much to remark on as it is just an intro and there is a lot more story to be read, but from what I've seen it's something that I can see myself following so yay ^^

Man, you've done a really good job in hooking me here because I already want to read what you have next. My only suggestion is to throw us a few more bones next time. The ending came kind of abruptly.

Other than that, write more soon!

-RP




User avatar
1087 Reviews


Points: 44360
Reviews: 1087

Donate
Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:07 pm
View Likes
Sins wrote a review...



Elinor! :P I saw this pop up on the homepage and I've got so much revision to do that exam failure is inevitable, so naturally I figured I'd come and take a look at this.

Before I could go any further, I felt a rough hand cover my mouth and something hitting my head.

DRAMA.

Okay so this was really cool. I love, love the cliffhanger on the end because it was super unexpected; I thought the whole police car thing was going to be the cliffhanger ending, and then bam. Kudos to you on that. I've not got a major feel for your MC yet, but it's only the first chapter and it's a very small one at that, so I can't really whine about that. I loved all of the ominous undertones you had in this too. Something awful has clearly happened but you didn't make that explicit, instead you had the girls your MC recognised saying they were in shock, noted how your MC didn't remember dropping her friend off e.t.c. You gave us small hints, and that was very well done. I definitely want to read the next instalment if you decide to post it!

As for critiques, I've got a few things to note. Firstly, and this is just a really picky, annoying nit-pick as opposed to an actual critique, but I kind of want your opening line to have more oomph. I'm massive on killer opening lines, so I'm extremely picky and biased, so I can't help wanting more from yours. A line about the MC waking up is quite a typical opener... and while there isn't anything wrong with that, like I said, I'm one of those annoying people who like to be amazed, stunned, shocked, scared, emotional e.t.c as a result of the first few lines of a story. So yeah, maybe just something to have a think about.

On the theme of Skins being picky, I kind of wish this was longer. Is it the whole of the first chapter? Or half of it or something? If it's only a portion of the first chapter then you can pretty much ignore everything I'm about to say, but I feel like by the time I was really starting to get into this the chapter ended. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but if you want to end it at this point in the plot (with the hand over mouth, knocked out thing you've got going), then maybe spend a bit more time on the parts before that. Flesh it out more, y'know? Maybe give us more of an insight into your MC and who she is because like I noted at the beginning, I don't quite feel much connection to her yet. Maybe have her ponder over last night's events some more or something.

Hey, I've just realised, bitch drunk and drove. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but she should feel pretty damn bad about that. Drinking and driving can have some serious consequences, but then perhaps that's what the ominous event your MC can't remember is... Maybe there was a car accident? It seems odd she'd have forgotten something like that though, saying that. I don't know, I'm rambling and confused (as always). But yeah, don't drink and drive kids.

Anywho, back to critiques. Maybe this is just me being the melodramatic swine that I am, but your MC seems super chill for someone who has just woken up (shoeless) in the middle of a park at 9am in the morning with no recollection of, like, anything. Is this something she does often? If you'd really emphasised this idea of her being a raging party girl then this wouldn't have bene so much of an issue, but as it stands she seems a bit too calm. She seemed confused and stuff, yeah, but she didn't seem at all... worried, I guess? She didn't seem super confused either, considering the situation at hand, only slightly perplexed. I guess what I'm saying here is that I want you to project your MC's emotions a tad bit more. Don't give her a severe mental breakdown in the middle of a kids' park at 9am, but take us readers along on a confusing, ominous journey with her.

I've just realised this is under the fantasy section... OOOOOO I'M EXCITED.

Right, okay, where was I... Oh yeah, one more thing. This sort of connects to the critique above, really, but when your MC saw the police cars outside her house she reacted kind of weirdly. I mean, she thought it was because her mum had called the cops on her not being home, right? Would she really think that? I mean, if I saw a load of police cars outside my house at 9 in the morning I wouldn't immediately assume it was my mum being overly worried. I'd be freaking out. Your MC has graduated so she's 18 at the very least, so surely her mum would be used to this? In fairness we've not met the mother yet so she could be some paranoid nutcase, but let's face it: the cops aren't there because MC hasn't returned home, it'll be because of whatever this unknown ominous event is. I don't know, the whole reaction to a load of police cars outside your MC's home just came off as a bit odd to me!

Critiques aside, I really did thoroughly enjoy this piece. I am so pumped to find out how and where the fantasy element kicks in, and this could go in oodles of directions from here. As previously mentioned, I loved the cliffhanger in this and am dying to find out what the cheese is going on. I've no idea what this ominous event might be, and the best I can guess is something to do with your MC's car... or maybe her friend. Whatever the case, I'm sure it'll be some exciting stuff. I apologise if this has made little sense to you (I have a habit of making no sense/being of no help), and please do let me know if you have any questions about this review. Oh, and let me know when you post the next part! :D

Keep writing,

xoxo Skins




Elinor says...


Oh, hello!

Yes - the drunk driving definitely is going to factor in later. Izzy is supposed to be a not great person, who definitely partied a lot in high school, and that will be a part of her character arc. I suppose she could come across as more shitty, but the idea is that she's an intelligent girl who's made a lot of mistakes because she wants to "fit in".

It's supposed to be a piece of the first chapter, and I'll definitely let you know when I post more! :)



Sins says...


Ah, that makes sense now. I figured this was probably just a section of the first chapter, so that explains quite a lot! Yeah, just a bit more of a general 'uh-oh' on Izzy's behalf would go down a storm, I reckon.

I look forward to the next instalment 8)




Generally speaking, a howling wilderness does not howl: it is the imagination of the traveler that does the howling.
— Henry David Thoreau