I Am a Traveler

by DragonWriter22

Graduation
My vast education has come to a close
And I just now realize
How far I’ve come
How far I’ve gone
For I am a Traveler

Place one, place stop
Travel as I always must
Feeling the pull of Wanderlust

Others grew up here
This school is their life
They know nothing else
And I long to know them
I wish I’d been with them
But I am a Traveler

Place one, place stop
Travel as I always must
Feeling the pull of Wanderlust

I never stop long
From Kindergarten to First Grade
I moved.
In Second Grade,
My schools numbered two
And by Third, I was in another country.
I am a Traveler.

Place one, place stop
Travel as I always must
Feeling the pull of Wanderlust

Third, Fourth, Fifth,
My school stayed the same
Strange.
How is that possible?
For I am a Traveler.

Place one, place stop
Travel as I always must
Feeling the pull of Wanderlust

In Sixth Grade,
my schooling changed, two times.
As I suppose
The difference had to be made up
I am a Traveler

Place one, place stop
Travel as I always must
Feeling the pull of Wanderlust

I changed again in Eighth
Then once again in Nine
Tenth, Hawaii was my home
Then I was back for Eleventh
and Twelve
Never not a Traveler

Place one, place stop
Travel as I always must
Feeling the pull of Wanderlust

I have learned much,
experienced night and day,
and wander as my passion
But my heart aches
When I see those
Who’ve never moved.
They know these walls
Better than I ever will

Place one, place stop
Travel as I always must
Feeling the pull of Wanderlust

Hey there, Knight Writer!

I was immediately drawn in by the description of this poem, because I kind of identify as someone who has moved schools a lot as well. But then I come in and read it and realize whatever my experience was, your must have been multiplied by like ten, because MAN, have you moved around a lot. (Assuming this is an autobiographical poem!)

Now, the place where I feel like I identify most with this poem is the last stanza, where you finally get into describing how all that moving makes you feel. You talk about how your heart aches because they know the walls and you never will. This is in stark contrast to the rest of the poem, where it feels like you're just listing whether you've moved or not.

To compare, which is more interesting:

First - Annunciation
Third - Metropolitan Open School
Sixth - Benilde St. Margarets
Ninth - Main Street School of Performing Arts
Tenth - Nacel International School

OR

First - Three girls with the same name, first time identified by an extra initial
Third - Corn snakes in the library, Spring traditions in the wildflower garden making friends with nasturtiums
Sixth - Cried in front of the priest, thinking he could see right through me, alone in the pews
Ninth - Walking in ballet shoes down Main Street, sleeping mornings in the coffee shop
Tenth - Failing a Chemistry test, while she cried and wrote down twice as much as I did; friends head back to home countries every lonely summer

These are both descriptions of my schooling, but one gets into specifics, gets into emotions and imagery, and the other is just a list of what schools I moved to. I hope that you are as drawn to the second version as I am -- it's more interesting, more personal, and gives me a lot more to imagine.

So I wonder what this poem would look like if, instead of focusing on whether you moved, you could share more about what those moves meant to you. You said "Hawaii was my home" -- what was that like? I don't know. I"m sure when you read it, you remember all the great times you had, but I don't have access to your memories unless you write them down for me! Like, what country did you go to in 3rd grade?! So many questions!!

Finally, I like the concept of your chorus, but I wonder -- did you move because YOU felt the pull of Wanderlust? Or was it kind of just going along with it because your family felt that?

I hope these thoughts are helpful to you! I really enjoyed reading your poem, so if you have any questions or comments about the review, please PM me!

Good luck,

Hannah

Thank you for the review! Yeah, this poem was a little complicated to write and ended up being longer than I intended it to be. The poem is autobiographical, but is also simpler than my experience since mine is really really complicated. The Wanderlust idea is one of the complicated parts. Moving wasn't always my choice, but is something I learned to appreciate and love.
I'll put more thought into describing the different schools. Thanks again!

Hannah says...

No problem, Knight Writer! It was a pleasure to review, and I'd love to see another version if you get around to writing one!

Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:51 pm
Silberfee wrote a review...

Hi! You have a very effective rhythm here and it parallels the subject of your poem, and I can imagine each short sentence symbolising the months you spent at each school before moving into another school but the chorus that you put in between each stanza:

Place one, place stop
Travel as I always must
Feeling the pull of Wanderlust
has a little rhyme in it which works as it brings a little fairytale magic (at least thats how I interpreted it!) into the piece, which makes me imagine the knowledge, history and art you must have amassed from travelling into different places.

However I think you could have gone into more depth when you write:

Others grew up here
This school is their life
They know nothing else
And I long to know them
I wish I’d been with them
But I am a Traveler

I would have expected you to comment on maybe the pain of having no friends and being lonely or something along those lines because you didn't spend enough time with time with the other students for them to learn to trust and know you

but also there are benefits to travelling ...while I loved your chorus I feel that it had potential also to justify 'wanderlust,' surely the travelling child must have memories experiencing different cultures? LIke the different school uniforms, food, architecture, social etiquette, language??

I think maybe you could write a line (or more) above the each chorus describing something about each country to illustrate that?

It would have made your conclusion all the more effective I think.

Thank you for the response and feedback (:
One of the reasons I didn't really add loneliness is cause I don't feel that so much. I have friends. Mostly I feel longing towards the memories and experiences that those who've been there for a long time have.

Silberfee says...

ah ok that must have been me overanalysing then ! sorry

No worries! It's a reasonable conclusion to come to, I'm just fortunate that it's not true for me.

while she was studying the ways of pasta he was studying the ways of the sword
— soundofmind