Overwhelmed

by DragonWriter22

Ping!

Yes, I got your text
I’m reading it now as my thumbs waver over the screen
What can I say?
You are light years away
on Pluto to my Mercury
The clutch of darkness and cold starlight confines you ever closer
and all I can do is watch
as you drown.

I begin typing:
"I'm sorry. It will be alright."
backspace.
You need something you don’t know
Those words never cover the ache.
Flash, black screen; I’ll respond later.

I can barely stay afloat myself in this expanse of mercury
A sudden surge and my head goes under
I inhale another toxic mouthful and see
Eyes in the deep follow my writhing form
While a hail of your tears deepens the water
My feet lurch against the frozen floor
and I feel you grab for me again.
You look to me as savior
and can’t see my lungs are full of water

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:01 am
Mea wrote a review...

Here for the review I promised. <3 Let's dive right in with what we were talking about earlier.

I wouldn't call the planetary metaphor cheesy, just underdeveloped, as it just gets one brief mention in the first stanza and the next time it appears you've transitioned to the liquid part. You could maybe rephrase the Pluto to my Mercury line because it could give the mistaken impression that this is a love poem (but I kind of like it anyway.)

In the first stanza, I think you could play around with your line breaks a little,

This line stood out to me because it's so metaphorical I'm not quite sure what you actually mean. I really like "cold starlight confines", but I'm less of a fan of "clutch of darkness." It's also long compared to the others. xD

You said that you worry about the images in the last stanza getting lost because they're all kind of smushed together, and I think I have to agree with you. They don't get the time they deserve and in some ways confusing the meaning rather than developing it.

A lot of it that some of the images don't logically make sense next to each other - for example, "I can barely stay afloat" intuitively conflicts with your feet being on a "frozen floor." I guess the question is, is it just your lungs full of water, or are you in a pool of the stuff? And is it water or mercury - you start with an "expanse of mercury," but then you say "your tears deepens the water." I think that's almost the biggest problem - you're using water and mercury too interchangeably. (Also, mercury is so dense, I don't think you actually sink in it.)

I know part of the reason you had to bring in liquid water was because you thought your last line would be stronger with "full of water" rather than full of mercury. And to be honest, as the poem stands, you're right. But I think you could make it so that "my lungs are full of mercury" is powerful. And I think you could do that by holding back the switch to referring to mercury as the substance rather than the planet until that last line.

This way, you could do a little more with the planetary metaphor, but also allude to you barely being able to breathe and breathing in "toxic mouthfuls." It would also help you clarify whether or not you're in the "pool" drowning alongside the other person, or if you're standing on the side as she's grabbing for you.

Also, what is this? Is this the other person you've been talking about the whole time? Because it feels like it's something else - the first thing that came to mind for me was eels, honestly, and it made me think there was some other malevolent presence you were alluding to, one that wants to watch both of you fail. (I guess "eyes in the deep" just feels malevolent.) But then the next line's "your" implies that you were talking about the friend.

The cold imagery is really subtle and I don't think it needs to be brought out too much, but I think you could imply it by linking it more to space and less to water because of the problems with using water I was talking about above. Because of how subtle it is, "frozen floor" actually almost feels too blatant.

My favorite things about this poem are honestly just how well you capture the situation, with the simple "backspace" and "I'll respond later." It's powerful. It really is. My other favorite thing is the planetary imagery and the switch to liquid, as I've already told you.

So, that was super ramble-y and disorganized. But it's probably how it would've gone if I'd just told you all of this in conversation anyway. :P

And I'll leave it at that! Really, I can't wait to see this again once you've edited it a bit. Hopefully this'll spur you forward. ;)

Thanks so much! XD I probably should have reread this before asking you as I now realize this isn't the most updated version of the poem. In the updated version I'd dealt a bit with the interchangeability of mercury and water. Could I send you that one and see your thoughts on if I did enough to resolve the problem?

Mea says...

Sure!

Hi there, I saw BlueAfrica's post about your poem and thought I ought to check it out myself!

And this poem did not disappoint. It's a poem that forces the reader to be in the moment with the speaker and come away knowing that same feeling of being overwhelmed.

Punctuation & Capitalization
So punctuation and capitalization on the grand scheme of things, do not usually make or break a poem (in my opinion) but they do make a direct impact on the flow and tone of a piece. They also can influence whether a reader sees the poem as a polished piece or a first draft.

I think that this poem had a few issues as far as consistency with both punctuation and capitalization. (It seemed to be somewhat random).

For instance there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the periods in the poem. In the third stanza there is a complete lack of them (although lots of capital letters) and then there's suddenly a period after "and I feel you grab for me again". The second stanza in contrast seems to be putting periods where there are sentences and fragments. And the first stanza has completely opposite capitalization choices to stanza 3, but has a period after the line "as you drown". I also thought it was unusual that there wasn't a period at the end of the piece because it does seem pretty final - mimicking the line even from stanza 1 about drowning.

I don't have any strong opinion of whether you should go with more punctuation/capitalization or less, but I do think you should choose some reason/pattern and stick with it for the sake of consistency. This will make your poem look more polished and help readers not get distracted by differences here and there with capitalization/punctuation choices. Here's actually a YWS article on capitalization that I recommend if you're curious about different methods for capitalization: Capitalization in Poetry .

Imagery & Metaphor
This poem is really strong with its imagery and metaphors that guide the narrative.
You also do a lovely job going from the real moment (the text message) and transitioning straight into the metaphor. [As an aside, I think the wording of this line could be stronger: "on Pluto to my Mercury" -- but I do like the concept of it]. In the last stanza you go full out into this drowning metaphor and I think it might be interesting if you tried to work in a little planetary reference (like stars or gravity or something) or even a last reference to the text conversation to bring the poem full circle. But the last stanza is really strong, that imagery that you portray just really clearly illustrates the emotion of the speaker.

Another small wording comment, I don't think the word "myself" is necessary in the line "I can barely stay afloat myself in this expanse of mercury" because that line does get a bit bulky. The two really long lines in stanza 1 didn't bother me though since I thought it sort of fit with the back and forth choppy conversation/relationship that was being described in the piece.

Theme
As I said before, you do a great job letting the metaphors guide the narrative. There's a little discrepancy between which type of mercury is being referred to, but I took that as a neat word play rather than a continuity error. I love poems with strong narrative pull as it really goes a long way in helping the reader come away with something and understanding the theme.

I took this poem's meaning to be that the speaker's relationship with this other person (friend?, family member?, lover?) can kind of be summed up by this short text conversation. The speaker doesn't quite know how to "save" the other person and consequently they're both metaphorically drowning, in fact the relationship is part of what is causing the speaker to lose control in their life, despite the other person not being able to see the pain they're inflicting.

I think that a lot of people will be able to relate to this at both the level of the metaphor (feeling like they're drowning) and the concrete moment of the text message where the speaker doesn't know what to say. The lines, "You need to know something / These words never cover the ache" is just so poignant.

Overall this is a really incredible poem and I look forward to reading more of your work in the future. Thank you for sharing your piece! Please let me know if you have any questions about my review.

~alliyah

Thank you for your review! (: I enjoyed reading your interpretation of the poem and appreciate your thoughts on ways I could make it better!

Wow.

Okay, that's out of the way now. It was my initial reaction right at the end, because I wasn't expecting this to be the subject - I was thinking, especially from the start of the poem, and even going into the second and third stanzas, that it would be about the narrator's feelings of helplessness at not being able to help their friend. But the last stanza suggests that the narrator needs a rock themselves but doesn't have one, because they're always the rock. It was just so powerful.

I also loved the line "backspace" - who hasn't been there? Someone you care about is going through something terrible, and all you can think to say is "I'm sorry, it'll be okay," but you know that's just so painfully inadequate.

I liked the extended Mercury/Pluto metaphor - toxicity, freezing temperatures, hail - although all the liquid water metaphors don't quite match because neither planet has that. I'm not sure if you were really trying to keep the planetary metaphor going through the whole poem or not, but I could see some tie-ins between the first and third stanzas. I think this would be even stronger if you could clean up some of the third stanza so the figurative language all keeps together and matches.

This review courtesy of

Thank you so much for your feedback! Yeah, the last stanza switches more to a liquid mercury as an element/drowning in water metaphor. I need to get the two to come to terms with each other since I originally intended to use the play on words to introduce the drowning in a toxic substance metaphor, but "my lungs are full of water", I feel, has a lot more power than "my lungs are full of mercury/liquid".

AliceinBluue wrote a review...

Hello DragonWriter22! Alice here for a review!

This is really really good! I legitimately love this poem! I love how it talks about the feelings of the person who is supposed to be the caretaker, the rock, the one people come to when their lives are crumbling apart. I loved how the narrator tries to respond, to be there for their friend, but they know that the words they have aren't good enough. The fact that you talked about how the narrator is struggling to keep themselves afloat and it feels like everyone else is trying to either drag them down deeper or save themselves at the expense of the narrator is simply fantastic!

A small nitpick, it seems like most of your lines begin with uppercase letters, but a few of them do not. That may just be a stylistic thing you decided to go for and I didn't catch the pattern for it.

Over all, this was an amazing poem and one I will definitely be coming back to read again and again!
-Alice

Thank you for the review! Mostly the last part is me needing to proof-read better XD.

Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?
— Obi-Wan Kenobi