z

Young Writers Society



Voices

by Authorian


In my head the voices scream,

They whisper, argue, create my dreams.

They bicker, and banter, and eat at my hope,

Sometimes I wonder how I manage to cope.

*

They might give me ideas, but more often than not,

They hide them, and keep them, and allow them to rot.

The voices, the voices, make my head seem to roll

But what if I… am just one of many souls.

*

I mean, I wonder, what if all along,

That one soul inside is just a verse of a song.

A key on a keyboard, a tree in a forest,

The last day of summer, the start of a chorus.

*

The subconscious overflows, it bubbles and bursts,

With the first day of fall, the last resounding verse.

The next key on the keyboard, the last line of the chorus.

Perhaps that’s why in writing we flourish.

*

Yes, there’s voices in my head,

While I’m awake, when I sleep in my bed.

But through all the chaos, I know it’s alright,

Because all of my souls love to write.


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.







Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
18 Reviews


Points: 254
Reviews: 18

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:22 am
BlueLitMoon wrote a review...



Cassie here! :)

I would like to start of by talking about this poem.You are right about this, writing does let us escape from our thoughts and from the world around us. (I'm guessing this is the meaning you were trying to portray. I am not going to lie at firs t I was confused. I felt like it did not flow , but when I saw the ending I thought the end was an amazing conclusion to this piece.

Some things I thought you could improve on. In the beginning try to portray more of what you want the readers to know. I felt like you were talking about multiple things, and that tends to confuse the readers. You have to stick to one subject. I understand if you are trying to talk about different things within the topics.

Overall this was an amazing poem! It was so well written I loved it a lot. Sorry if the nitpicks were too harsh , but I'm not very good at grammer so I thought I could help you in a different way. Overall this was a fantastic poem and I hope to hear more from you soon.




User avatar
257 Reviews


Points: 6130
Reviews: 257

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:14 am
Tuesday wrote a review...



Hello Tuesday here for a review. i like to begin that this poem could be related to the reader since most people have a voice inside their head (like a conscience telling them what is wrong or what is right). However, in this poem, the person within here is having voice cream at them about the dreams that this one person has (either nightmares or dreams) since the voices inside their head are creating their dreams. Also i like to say i enjoy the little hints of rhyme throughout this poem since it gives it a feeling of a beat or off-beat plus there is some alliteration in this poem which gives it a mood to when the reader is reading it.

Nitpick(s):

But what if I… am just one of many souls.
for this stanza, i would suggest getting rid of the three dots since it seems like you were writing it, then after a while you just decided you needed a break and came back and wrote the rest. If you add a comma instead, it might sound the same.

They might give me ideas, but more often than not,
the end of this stanza seems a little to get a grip of since "more often than not" doesn't seem to fit this stanza since it seems a bit of a mouth full. I would suggest putting some times more than other or something similar, to make it easier to read.

Overall, i would say that this poem could, once again, be related to most people since we all have voices inside our heads going to war at each other and sometimes, giving us ideas for books or movies to where we write. Also i enjoyed the assonance that you had in this poem and example bicker, and banter since they both end in the -er sound. Plus the theme of this could be "The voice in our head are the ones that help us through the toughest of times" or something.

Farewell,
Tuesday




User avatar
173 Reviews


Points: 9984
Reviews: 173

Donate
Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:02 am
donizback wrote a review...



Hi there. Happy review day, Authorian.
Well, I am here for a review so let's start it without wasting any further time.

The first two sentences of your first stanza are splendid. The rhymes and word selection!

They bicker, and banter, and eat at my hope,

You kept repeating "and" along with the comma. That really didn't make much sense to me. Sorry about that. I'd want to do remove the first "and" and the final comma from here.

Repetition is never considered too good in poetry. Your second stanza's third line is repeating the same thing twice. Not a bad thing but just try to be different and awesome as you always are.

A key on a keyboard, a tree in a forest,

The last day of summer, the start of a chorus.

Either you seem confused by now or I am! We were talking about dark things, soul and suddenly keyboard and chorus.
This really isn't how it should be! I mean, one poem should carry one idea as a whole. I am sorry but this part left me totally confused.

More or less, your second last stanza is also connected to the same theme but I really can't get where and how it came from!

All of your souls? How many souls do you have? I am sorry, again, but I think making the "souls" plural wasn't really a good idea.

Overall, it was an amazing attempt to write a great poem. I really liked it and I am your fan when it comes to poetry! So, well done with it. And please never forget to stick to one idea in your poems.

Keep writing. Good luck. And I hope to read more of your amazing poems.




User avatar
10 Reviews


Points: 528
Reviews: 10

Donate
Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:04 pm
TiernanW wrote a review...



First review - if I miss any customs, please tell me. :P

This is a curiously ambiguous piece. I gather that it is about your writing, at least from the way I read it. You talk about how the voices in your head give you ideas, and you have so many of them that if you don't write them down they "rot". The many souls that are all different, have different feelings and express differently on paper. They seem to conflict: "whisper, argue..." I don't think it is a dark poem though; I believe it is more so simply a poem about all the ideas you have for writing and creativity.

Perhaps you are talking about how you are part of wider picture like a single "key on the keyboard" and "one of many souls". Perhaps looking for your place? But then I don't think that would match up with the last line.

Maybe my interpretations are completely off, haha. :)

I like the effect you created when you use a lot of commas to create the voice of someone with voices in their head: "They hide, them, and keep them..."

The rhyme scheme creates a good effect with how it doesn't always rhyme fully (e.g. "roll" and souls"). To me that reflects the arguing in your head and that you are not sure what will be next. The full rhymes do add a bit of light - heartedness to the poem, and if that was your intention, then great!




Authorian says...


Thanks! I never really understood why I wrote this, it started dark, but as I wrote, it changed. I interpret it different everytime I read it, so, I don't really know... haha.



TiernanW says...


Sometimes it good to just let it flow randomly. You end up with interesting pieces like this.




Stories don't end because you stopped paying attention.
— SJ Whitby