Mellowing a Mare

by Moo

--

an explanation as I will inevitably be asked for it

mares who have difficult periods of estrus often have a marble inserted into their womb in order to trick their bodies into believing they're pregnant. This helps lessen the likelihood of bad behaviours as a result of estrus.

Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:41 pm
Firepower13 wrote a review...

Firepower takes a couple quick glances around, then creeps over and drops an envelope before driving hastily away. The envelope contains a letter which reads:

I'm going to start by saying your vocabulary is amazing. Seriously, it's beautiful and I had to google a few words I had never even heard before. It conjures a very descriptive and even slightly brutal picture. Is it weird that I started to pity the marble?

The word rise, in the second line, is capitalized. I'm not sure if this was purposeful or not, and if it is referring to some technical term I'm not familiar with.

Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:10 pm
kingofeli wrote a review...

Heya, Ricky from the Black Knights here to review your lovely poem! I think this is the first time I've ever reviewed for you, but this certainly isn't the first time I've read things from you. This poem is extremely good, as are the rest of the poems I've read from you. You're certainly a very talented poet, and I must give you props for this. You also seem to have a lot of experience with horses, obviously, getting this from the poem. I do like that you added an explanation at the bottom, as I was a little confused about the whole marble thing.

I like that this is written from the mare's point of view. It gives us an inside view to the whole procedure, and how it feels to be the mare in estrus, having a marble inserted into you. It's almost sad; her body thinks she's pregnant, goes on like she's pregnant, even though she really isn't. I can't tell from the poem if she wanted to be pregnant, but it's my interpretation that she did. How she describes it at the end also gets to me, describing it as "fatherless" and "birthless".

This poem made me come back to re-read it several times, which means that it was great. I rarely re-read things, so that's a plus for you!

I'm going to give this a 10/10. It's beautifully written and narrated, and I loved every moment of it. You're extremely talented and I want to see so much more from you. Keep on writing!

Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:17 pm

hello!
I like this poem! The title really got me interested in reading it so I did and It's really well written so good job! Keep up the good work! I had to read it several times to understand it but that only means it's good enough to take time on! It's pretty flawless!

Stay awesome!
Valerie

Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:18 am
theplanningheiress wrote a review...

This poem is so deep that I had to reread the whole poem twice. (This is a compliment cause most poems are hard to understand at first reads but they're still beautiful) This one is definitely beautiful. I'd be lying if I said that I completely understand the poetry but maybe I'm just not that good at interpreting poems.

AND! You know what caught my attention? It's the title. It piqued my curiosity. I just love your title, it nudged on me like my conscience when I'm at guilt.

Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:14 am
Rook wrote a review...

Hello.

very interesting concept. o.o
I would've never thought to write a poem about this.

So, I'm super glad that you explained what this was about, because I would have 0 idea had you not. It's an interesting concept, and now that you've read it, I also find it poetic.

I like the second and third stanzas because I understand what they're talking about (again, because you explained), but as for the first one, either it's filled with jargon that I don't know, or it just doesn't make sense to me, or it just doesn't make sense period.
Actually, now that I'm rereading it, it does make sense. The cow is being led into wherever this is happening, and she's being prodded on with spurs. It's just the "haem frothed and burring" part that I don't think I know. Also, the very last line of the poem confuses me too. And also "me clapless necked, cold backed."
But these phrases also give this poem a certain mysterious charm... I like it.

I really like the way you describe this marble though. All the way from "Fatherless" to "birthless" is just <3
I never thought I'd love something about... estrus... as much as I do. And I never thought I'd say that ever in my life. The best thing about this (other than the wonderful word choice, imagery, and meaning), is probably the uniqueness of the subject.

Your title is also nice. And your formatting. It is a wonderful poem, unexpected, but wonderful.
Thank you for writing this, I think I have a slightly different outlook on life.

Great job, keep writing!
~fortis

Moo says...

Hey Fortis, thanks for the great review! It's actually about horses as opposed to cattle, hence mare being the word for a female horse, and foal being the term for their offspring as opposed to calf. Just thought I'd point that out, haha! That should give a bit more context to phrases that confusing you (clapless = without praise, as horses are praised by sharply patting or clapping their neck or shoulder) etc etc. I hope that helps you understand some of the terms. My aim was to write in the 'voice' of the animal, so I used a lot of harsh diction and sound/movement words as my way of reflecting the animal's frustrations over being unable to be a mother.

Thanks so much for your comprehensive review! I really appreciate it, and will return the favour if you need me to!

Moo

Rook says...

*facepalm*
I really should've known that XD
I need to study my animal names again. The female of cow is cow. >.<
Thanks for clearing that up, and some of the words to make much more sense now. Thank you. <3

Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:44 pm
JinxGrey wrote a review...

I was a very interesting poem.I like vivid wording.I like the sensory details.I had a great flow of the word course.I had a stupendous rhythm.I like the more sophisticated word use.I found this piece to be fairly easy to understand.It was a little hard to follow through but that's an easy fix.I really found this piece to be enjoyable.Good luck!!

Maybe we're all just complex human beings with skewed perceptions of each other.
— Ventomology